Author Topic: (Video) Dr. Dre - I Need A Doctor  (Read 6227 times)

teecee

Re: (Video) Dr. Dre - I Need A Doctor
« Reply #225 on: February 27, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »
the song sucks but the video is very good I must say it kinda makes the song a little more bearable.

the verses are tight and the beat isn't that bad but the hook ruins it for me :-\

What's so wrong about it anyway? It's not so different from Stan.

-Stan was a sample, and an obscure one at that (Dido's version blew up AFTER Stan did)

teecee

« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2011, 09:16:43 AM »
Again, GREAT CONCEPT for the song, but the finished product is  :-\

Many of us are tired of Em's screaming, and at least for Dre's single, were hoping he would be front and center, AND of course produce the beat.

But the real problem with this song is Dre going flavour of the month on us.

What i find most incredulous is that of all the recent Alex Da Kid beats/Skyler Grey written or sung hooks, this is by far the worst on both accounts.

Coming Home-Diddy
Castle Walls- T.I.
Love the Way you Lie-Em
Airplanes-BOB
Words I Never Said- Lupe

All of the above are Alex beats, and all either feature Skyler Grey herself, or have hooks sung by her.   Listen to them, listen to INAD....and it's obvious INAD is the worst (well, maybe Coming Home)

You'll Never Walk Alone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2011, 09:24:57 AM »
Coming homes a decent track, shits all over inad

teecee

« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2011, 10:05:55 AM »

I like the beat and hook better, and I could handle Diddy 10 or 12 years ago, but not now.   Actually though, maybe Diddy rapping is a better alternative to Em screaming and Dre sounding unmotivated and awkward

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
Re: I Need A Doctor Video
« Reply #229 on: February 27, 2011, 02:33:23 PM »
i think that most people who are hating @ dre at the moment are stuck in the past. they need to realize that dre is a whole different peroson now. what do u expect ? that hes gonna do a nother nuthing but a g thang song and video ?, or a next next episode one with all the g´s(dogg pound etc) in it ?? ...its 2011 and honestly people dont want thinks like that anymore....what sells is that pop shit, for example with eminem or rihanna etc.
of course there is his hardcore straight gangsta fanbase, but we are so few that it makes no sense to create an cd that we love, another chronic 2001 with dpg, X, hitman, knoc etc etc ...that will never happen again.

We aren't asking for another Chronic or 2001. What sold back then was pop shit as well, and those songs are pretty commercial compared to their time.

Dre has been known for coming with his own commercial sound and taking over the mainstream. I'm all for that and I've been expecting his music to sound pop. However he didn't even produce his own single. Instead he has a generic Alex da Kid beat, of which we already have plenty and Dre's happens to be the worst.

What the fuck?? Here we go again with  that "POP" shit again. NO 2001 was not POP and Chronic was not either. You think everything that's "Commercial" is POP. I think what the guy is obviously saying, is that the song does not even sound HIP HOP. Chronics and 2001 "POP" hits still had a HIP HOP vibe. How the fuck do you relate this song with those? Yes, Dre had the ability to make commercial music but i can name 100 tracks that were POPULAR that don't sound like this shit, regardless of the era. This is some shit JA rule would use to rap with Ashanti in the 2001 era. haha. Your waay off.

Fail. INAD sounds nothing like an Ashanti song.

"This is bell-bottoms-and-Afros music, its spiritual source the blaxploitation soundtrack, and what it promises above all is boom times for third-rate flautists--sociopathic easy-listening. Even if it's "just pop music," as some rationalize, it's bad pop music" -- review for The Chronic

Oh shit!!! Wow you completely changed my mind. Great reference  :tosser:. Fail. Chronic nor 2001 had the POP sound that was happening at that time. This time around Dre literally is following the trend with this track and I hope the rest are not the same. Fuck your review. I lived it, so I know personally. Dre could have brought out a different MAINSTREAM, POPULAR single. Eminem is probably not the best example, but Ill try and use him. Remember RELAPSE? Well Dre produced "3AM" and a video was released for the MAINSTREAM. Can you tell the difference between both? If you can't understand my point, then don't even bother. I just don't want to hear any more garbage statements about Chronic and 2001 was always "POP". I think everyone here understands both albums were POPULAR but I think you should be smart enough to understand that's not what people are trying to imply.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

TheWestCoast

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Need that Million Dollar Story!!
« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »

You'll Never Walk Alone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »

TheWestCoast

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Need that Million Dollar Story!!
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2011, 05:50:14 PM »

lol
Coming Home shits all over INAD.

the carmelo entrance at msg made it bearable but diddy pretending to be kanye is not better than a dre/em collabo in any lifetime

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »
i think that most people who are hating @ dre at the moment are stuck in the past. they need to realize that dre is a whole different peroson now. what do u expect ? that hes gonna do a nother nuthing but a g thang song and video ?, or a next next episode one with all the g´s(dogg pound etc) in it ?? ...its 2011 and honestly people dont want thinks like that anymore....what sells is that pop shit, for example with eminem or rihanna etc.
of course there is his hardcore straight gangsta fanbase, but we are so few that it makes no sense to create an cd that we love, another chronic 2001 with dpg, X, hitman, knoc etc etc ...that will never happen again.

We aren't asking for another Chronic or 2001. What sold back then was pop shit as well, and those songs are pretty commercial compared to their time.

Dre has been known for coming with his own commercial sound and taking over the mainstream. I'm all for that and I've been expecting his music to sound pop. However he didn't even produce his own single. Instead he has a generic Alex da Kid beat, of which we already have plenty and Dre's happens to be the worst.

What the fuck?? Here we go again with  that "POP" shit again. NO 2001 was not POP and Chronic was not either. You think everything that's "Commercial" is POP. I think what the guy is obviously saying, is that the song does not even sound HIP HOP. Chronics and 2001 "POP" hits still had a HIP HOP vibe. How the fuck do you relate this song with those? Yes, Dre had the ability to make commercial music but i can name 100 tracks that were POPULAR that don't sound like this shit, regardless of the era. This is some shit JA rule would use to rap with Ashanti in the 2001 era. haha. Your waay off.

Fail. INAD sounds nothing like an Ashanti song.

"This is bell-bottoms-and-Afros music, its spiritual source the blaxploitation soundtrack, and what it promises above all is boom times for third-rate flautists--sociopathic easy-listening. Even if it's "just pop music," as some rationalize, it's bad pop music" -- review for The Chronic

Oh shit!!! Wow you completely changed my mind. Great reference  :tosser:. Fail. Chronic nor 2001 had the POP sound that was happening at that time. This time around Dre literally is following the trend with this track and I hope the rest are not the same. Fuck your review. I lived it, so I know personally. Dre could have brought out a different MAINSTREAM, POPULAR single. Eminem is probably not the best example, but Ill try and use him. Remember RELAPSE? Well Dre produced "3AM" and a video was released for the MAINSTREAM. Can you tell the difference between both? If you can't understand my point, then don't even bother. I just don't want to hear any more garbage statements about Chronic and 2001 was always "POP". I think everyone here understands both albums were POPULAR but I think you should be smart enough to understand that's not what people are trying to imply.

Fuck my review? Fuck your opinion. Who the fuck cares what one dude on a forum thinks? I lived it too. Matter of fact I lived it right here in Cali. I grew up to that shit.

A famous professional critic knows more than you. End discussion. I have no intention of wasting time arguing with one dude on a forum who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2011, 09:47:25 PM »
Chronic nor 2001 had the POP sound that was happening at that time. 
Popular music has always had a variety of sounds. Your personal taste and experiences would play a big role in defining that. I don't feel there was ever a time where pop music was defined by one sound. Michael Jackson, Madonna, and George Michael weren't all doing the same music in the 80's but they were all huge pop acts. Dre was definitely playing around with the popular formula for California-based music at that time. The content was a little edgier but that was what the buying public wanted. The music itself was melodic with strong R&B/funk influence. You play "Straight Outta Compton" and then play "The Chronic" and tell me which one is more polished and pop-oriented on a sonic level. I mean, since we all were alive and aware in 1991-92, let me pose this question: What was "pop rap" back then? White suburban America had their fill of New Kids On The Block, Michael Jackson, and MC Hammer. Record labels weren't looking for cute shit. People want something a little rebelious. They wanted Death Row, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana. R&B acts were acting more like rappers to try and sell. Back then, it was clean-cut artists searching out rappers so they could have credibility. MC Hammer was coming back as the "Funky Headhunter". Dre had the formula with that one.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2011, 10:30:08 PM »
Well, there's popular music (popular shortened to pop) and then there's pop music (poppy shortened to pop).

What's the difference?  Are they both the same?

There is a difference.  Not all popular music is poppy.  Most poppy music tends to be more popular (among a certain age range).  

Poppy music is usually distinguished by a certain sound - note choices and arrangements.  

That's my biggest issue with this song.  It's not the drums.  If it were just the drums and them rapping, it would be doper.  

It's the notes from the piano and the way the chorus is sung, particular "to bring me back to LIIIIIIIIIIIFE"  It's that annoying "heart beat" sound during the verses.  This is poppy hip-hop.

Plus, Dre doesn't sound good on this.

It also doens't help that this comes after a slew of similar sounding tracks.

If this was the first one, my ears would definitely be more receptive to it. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:33:05 PM by Action! »
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Jimmy H.

« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2011, 10:58:02 PM »
I think the word you're thinking of is "formulaic", not "poppy". 

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: I Need A Doctor Video To Be Released 6am EST
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2011, 11:22:13 PM »
I don't know why Iovine fells like they need this one hit single before releasing an album.  None of the 2001 singles did anything on the charts.

Your trippin man... I don't know about chart position but I remember all 3 singles from Dre's first and second albums being all over the radio and MTV/BET.  And it ain't about Jimmy Iovine, I wish everybody would shut up about Jimmy Iovine.  Dre has been this way his whole career, he does not release albums unless there is a high demand for the album, and a high demand is proven by a big reaction to a single.  So unless this video/song jumps off don't expect Detox to come out.  It's like when Dre was being reclusive around 98' and King Tee was scheduled and advertised to drop his album, they released a first single "Got It Locked" and Dre was even in the video, but the single/video didn't take off so the album was never released.

If ya'll were real Dre fans you would be supportin this video and trying to get this shit to blow up, and by the way it's a great video, I love the images from Dre's past... it kind of reminds me of Rocky 4 with the "No Easy Way Out" montage.  Everyone here should head over to MTV's website and play the video so it can stay #1 on MOST VIEWED so that Detox will finally come out!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:27:29 PM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Will_B

« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2011, 12:48:58 AM »
Well, there's popular music (popular shortened to pop) and then there's pop music (poppy shortened to pop).

What's the difference?  Are they both the same?

There is a difference.  Not all popular music is poppy.  Most poppy music tends to be more popular (among a certain age range).  

Poppy music is usually distinguished by a certain sound - note choices and arrangements.  

That's my biggest issue with this song.  It's not the drums.  If it were just the drums and them rapping, it would be doper.  

It's the notes from the piano and the way the chorus is sung, particular "to bring me back to LIIIIIIIIIIIFE"  It's that annoying "heart beat" sound during the verses.  This is poppy hip-hop.

Plus, Dre doesn't sound good on this.

It also doens't help that this comes after a slew of similar sounding tracks.

If this was the first one, my ears would definitely be more receptive to it. 

:bomb:

Lucifuge

« Reply #239 on: February 28, 2011, 12:49:17 AM »
All Dre's songs are commercial and radio friendly.. so whats you talking about? :-\
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D