Author Topic: Benzino article in Rolling Stone  (Read 328 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Benzino article in Rolling Stone
« on: January 04, 2003, 03:52:55 PM »
Benzino, Eminem Feud Heats Up
Boston rapper goes after Slim Shady

"Eminem is the culture stealer, and I'm coming for him," says Raymond "Benzino" Scott, a Boston-bred rapper who touched off a war of words with Eminem late last year that culminated in a volley of dis tracks between the two artists. In Benzino's "Pull Your Skirt Up" and "Die Another Day," Em gets called "2003 Vanilla Ice" and "the rap Hitler."

"I've never met this man, this girl," Eminem said on New York radio station Hot 97. "She is obsessed with me. I never would think I would see the day when I seen the worst rapper in the world going against one of the best." Eminem released two hard-hitting response tracks: "The Sauce" and "Nail in the Coffin."

Benzino complains that Eminem's blockbuster success takes sales away from all the other rappers. "A lot of people got skills, not just Marshall Mathers," Benzino says. "But nobody else is going platinum anymore."

Benzino, meanwhile, would settle for going gold. (His latest album, Redemption, is out this month). Since 1991, he has recorded under a variety of names -- the Almighty RSO, Made Men -- with his new single, "Rock the Party," as his only modest hit. "I'm trying to get this [gold] plaque," he says. "I'm gonna tour until I get it." Hip-hop business insiders suggest that Benzino, who is also a co-owner of hip-hop magazine The Source, is taking on Eminem in a desperate attempt to increase his own profile. It's not the first time he's stirred up controversy. He has been arrested multiple times and once served time for disorderly conduct. One source reveals that Benzino was recently investigated by the FBI for his alleged involvement in a Boston drug ring -- an accusation Benzino denies.

Former Source staffers complain that they were pressured to give Benzino's groups positive reviews and that the rapper routinely intimidated editors to get his way. In 1994, the magazine's editorial staff quit after publisher David Mays inserted a three-page feature on the Almighty RSO. Benzino says he doesn't get involved in editorial coverage, but that "people know I'm there, because I'm like the breeze of truth."

Then there is the long-standing rumor that Eminem mentions in "Nail in the Coffin": that Benzino exchanges coverage in the magazine for guest spots on his albums.

"You can't be a rapper and own a magazine," Em said on Hot 97. "When you call rappers to do a guest appearance and they don't want to do it because you suck, then he's gonna shut you out of his magazine."

"People get all of these mixed-up perceptions of me," Benzino counters. "Eminem don't know me. He just knows what he read somewhere." And then, with a sly twinkle in his eye, he adds, "It's like the WWF. Could there be a hero without a villain? I'm the villain. But when people are booing, they're really cheering. They love me."

JENNY ELISCU
(January 3, 2003)

Article Link

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Benzino article in Rolling Stone
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2003, 03:59:39 PM »
The best one:
"It's like the WWF. Could there be a hero without a villain? I'm the villain. But when people are booing, they're really cheering. They love me."

LMFAO

And this:
"I'm trying to get this [gold] plaque," he says. "I'm gonna tour until I get it."

I praying that he sells under 100,000 copies.

Kaidy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 05:12:46 PM »
But when people are booing, they're really cheering. They love me."

I guess those Think Positive books are really working out for him huh. what a loser.

Jome

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 10:49:30 PM »

I guess those Think Positive books are really working out for him huh. what a loser.

Lmao.
Benzino is like Myrealname - everybody hates them, but they refuse to admit it..

Woodrow

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 11:57:34 PM »

"A lot of people got skills, not just Marshall Mathers," Benzino says. "But nobody else is going platinum anymore."

Wow... This is the most FLAWED logic I've seen in a long time.

The public buys what the public likes. Sure there may be people out there with Skills, but just becasue somebody has skills dosen't mean that people should purchase an album...

P Nelson

• 40 illa
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 12:07:05 AM »

Lmao.
Benzino is like Myrealname - everybody hates them, but they refuse to admit it..

HAHAHAHAH I feel so fuckin sorry for the man...

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2003, 02:28:09 AM »
Benzino should get People magazine's funniest man alive this year......that or a roast on Comeday Central

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

S.G.V.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2003, 01:36:37 PM »
what are u talkin about nobody says they hate benzino?...the majority of the people here hate him...just like myrealname...theyre just more vocal about benzino...he quikly took over ja rules spot as the most hated...

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2003, 01:41:24 PM »
hey jackoff, i think he meant myrealname and benzino couldn't admit that people hate them.

min0rity

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2003, 01:55:24 PM »
benzino just should give up...i'll give him credit for at least making an attempt to try..but it ain't gonna work..

Jome

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2003, 04:32:18 PM »
what are u talkin about nobody says they hate benzino?...the majority of the people here hate him...just like myrealname...theyre just more vocal about benzino...he quikly took over ja rules spot as the most hated...

Uhm, everybody says they hate Benzino & Myrealname - and yet they still believe that they're pretty dope popular dudes..

S.G.V.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2003, 05:52:47 PM »
hey jackoff, i think he meant myrealname and benzino couldn't admit that people hate them.
why r u so angry?....cant u ever be civilized?....

Uhm, everybody says they hate Benzino & Myrealname - and yet they still believe that they're pretty dope popular dudes..
myrealname knew everyone hated him....u had nothin to lose by sayin it...but people lose alot of publicity in the biggest magazine for hip hop if they diss benzino...

like e-40 once said...."if u gone be a foo then be a foo/just know when to act a foo and who to act a foo wit"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2003, 05:56:35 PM by S.G.V. aka Ray Diaz »

Sikotic™

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2003, 07:54:09 PM »
I just saw this Benzino commercial liek 5 times while Rap City was on where you get 3 months free of The Source if you buy Redemption. LMAO

Benzino is my hero. He'll do anything to be considered a credible rapper.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2003, 08:02:23 AM »
I just saw this Benzino commercial liek 5 times while Rap City was on where you get 3 months free of The Source if you buy Redemption. LMAO
Hah hah!  ;D For real? How sad...

Jome

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2003, 06:50:57 PM »

Benzino is my hero. He'll do anything to be considered a credible rapper.

LoL, and if you state that you didn't buy "The Eminem Show" while purchasing it, you will get a whole years subscription.
Better yet, if you say that you bought it, but hated it, you will be a co-owner of "The Source" for 1 year.