Author Topic: Seven million Koreans facing starvation  (Read 550 times)

Woodrow

Seven million Koreans facing starvation
« on: January 04, 2003, 08:56:29 PM »
By Jasper Becker in Beijing
05 January 2003
The United Nations food agency warned yesterday that supplies for some seven million people, a third of North Korea's population, will run out early next month without furtheraid. The news could worsen the crisis over North Korea's nuclear threats.

"We only have firm commitments for 35,000 tons. This will be finished in early February, and then we might have to close shop," said Gerald Bourke, the spokesman for the UN World Food Programme (WFP) in Beijing. South Korea stopped food deliveries two months ago, after Pyongyang admitted running a secret nuclear weapons programme. Japan suspended aid after North Korea admitted kidnapping Japanese citizens.

The WFP has cut three million people off from its aid programme. The hardest-hit are townspeople who can expect to get only 270 grams a day through North Korea's public distribution system, half the standard emergency food ration. The UN scaled back its 2003 appeal for North Korea by 16 per cent, to 512,000 tons of grain, but only the European Union and Italy individually have so far responded.

North Korea has suffered from famine for a decade, and at least two million people have died of starvation. The US has been the largest contributor to emergency food deliveries over the past seven years which have fed nine million people a year. Although George Bush has said the US will not withhold food, the US Agency for International Development began insisting last June that North Korea meet the same conditions for aid that are mandatory elsewhere, such as providing a list of beneficiaries and unimpeded access for aid monitors. On this issue, however, as with efforts to defuse the nuclear crisis, there is deadlock.

Last month North Korea expelled International Atomic Energy Authority monitors and restarted its Yongbyon plant, signalling its intention to build a nuclear arsenal. As the regime slips further into isolation, with just two flights a week to Pyongyang, South Korea has begun a round of diplomatic meetings to find a solution. It held talks yesterday in Moscow and has also dispatched a mission to Washington.

According to a South Korean newspaper, Munhwa Ilbo, Seoul is presenting a "three-stage" mediation proposal – a US guarantee of the North's security and fuel oil supplies in return for an end to the nuclear weapons programme; international economic assistance; and a multinational security guarantee for the North, including from China and Russia.

But the Bush administration has repeated that it will not negotiate another deal with North Korea, which it says cheated on a 1994 pact. "We have no intention to sit down and bargain again, to pay for this horse again," said the State Department spokesman, Richard Boucher. "We are not entering into negotiations ... to get them to commit to something that they've already committed to."

North Korea blames the US for the dispute, which it said yesterday was serious and unpredictable. Its ambassador to China repeated demands that Washington agree to a non-aggression treaty.

http://news.independent.co.uk/low_res/story.jsp?story=366462&host=3&dir=71

It's ULTRA moronic that instead of working on improving agriculture and feeding it's people, The North korean Government would rather build weapons.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2003, 08:57:56 PM by Engel-Rock »

HBKid_Jr

Re:Seven million Koreans facing starvation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2003, 11:01:49 PM »
a certain a member on this board once told me he rather live under communism in north korea,  an as a country there doin alright.  7 million starvin dont sound 2 good

Woodrow

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 01:16:26 AM »
But your intellect is too abreviated to know the difference between the two.

If you are gonna diss somebody for not being smart, it might help to spell correctly...

Its abbreviated, not abreviated

but back to the subject at hand...

Check out this photo of The Earth at night. You can see the stark contrast between the 2 Koreas.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2003, 01:19:59 AM by Engel-Rock »

min0rity

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2003, 09:03:06 AM »
its ultra moronic that u.s. is not trying to negotiate and basically is trying to go to war with n. korea

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2003, 01:57:19 PM »
WoW nice pic englewood, props ...

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 05:21:08 PM »
it is also ultra moronic to wage war against a defenceless nation that poses no threats when the economy is in shambles, consumer confidence is down, and corporate america has been exposed as a corrupt entity
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

min0rity

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 06:27:36 PM »
it is also ultra moronic to wage war against a defenceless nation that poses no threats when the economy is in shambles, consumer confidence is down, and corporate america has been exposed as a corrupt entity

word

Quakaveli

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2003, 09:22:18 PM »
DAMN NICE PIC ENGEL, Id give u props only fuckin seer wont give me my deserved 450 extra posts from my other screename he deleted :'(

Woodrow

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2003, 12:11:34 AM »
its ultra moronic that u.s. is not trying to negotiate and basically is trying to go to war with n. korea

Let me put this in terms you might be able to grasp...

Lets say you know this guy. You don't like him, but you feel sorry for him because you have much more than him. Let's say this guy is doing something you don't like: Hitting on your girlfriend. You talk to him about it. You ask him to stop, and in turn, you will stop giving him such a hard time and give him some support. You and him get together and write out a contract. The contract says that you will stop dissing him and give him some shit, if he stops Hitting on your girlfriend. You both agree and go on your way. You trust him because he signed his name to the contract, and you think he's trustworthy. A couple of years down the line, you have stopped giving him a hard time, and given him the support you promised. You've heard some rumors that he's been hitting on your girlfriend the whole time, and so you ask him about it. He knows he's caught so he comes out and says that he's was, and the contract didn't mean shit. You upheld your part of the bargin, but he didn't... Then he comes out and says that he's gonna keep hitting on your girlfriend if you don't sit down and talk about it with him...

How would you feel?

Plus tell me ONE offical that said we should go to war with North korea.

min0rity

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2003, 08:32:52 AM »

Let me put this in terms you might be able to grasp...

Lets say you know this guy. You don't like him, but you feel sorry for him because you have much more than him. Let's say this guy is doing something you don't like: Hitting on your girlfriend. You talk to him about it. You ask him to stop, and in turn, you will stop giving him such a hard time and give him some support. You and him get together and write out a contract. The contract says that you will stop dissing him and give him some shit, if he stops Hitting on your girlfriend. You both agree and go on your way. You trust him because he signed his name to the contract, and you think he's trustworthy. A couple of years down the line, you have stopped giving him a hard time, and given him the support you promised. You've heard some rumors that he's been hitting on your girlfriend the whole time, and so you ask him about it. He knows he's caught so he comes out and says that he's was, and the contract didn't mean shit. You upheld your part of the bargin, but he didn't... Then he comes out and says that he's gonna keep hitting on your girlfriend if you don't sit down and talk about it with him...

How would you feel?

Plus tell me ONE offical that said we should go to war with North korea.

lol good example

and yes NO official has said they want to go to war but thats the hidden message

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2003, 01:26:01 AM »
Maybe korea should stop paying for bombs and pay for food.  Just my .02

Same thing with america, btw.  We oughta stop paying for defending other countries, and get the homeless off the street.