Author Topic: Spice 1 or 2Pac, who had the better career?  (Read 6092 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Spice 1 or 2Pac, who had the better career?
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »
I thought this would be a good topic, comparing 2 legends of hip hop and both from the Bay Area.

First I wanted to compare discographies. Pac had no weak albums while he was alive. But he only has two real classics: Me Against the World and 7 Day Theory. Spice 1 had 4 classics in a row: Spice 1, 187 He Wrote, Amerikkka's Nightmare, 1990 Sick. So Spice definitely takes it overall.

Now Pac is often mentioned as the realest rapper ever. But I think Spice 1 is even realer. Proof? There's no pictures of him dressed up as a ballerina floating around. Also, when Pac got shot he got mugged for all his jewelry. Spice got shot and still had that nigga running. so Spice 1 has to be realer.

And that's why I say Spice 1 is the greater rapper. Thoughts?

Al Bundy

Re: Spice 1 or 2Pac, who had the better career?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »
I don't agree with 1990 Sick being classic.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »
Fanboy Thread

Pervert Pastor

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »
SPICE-1: ALIVE

2PAC: DEAD

I WOULD SAY SPICE1.  ;)

PRETTY MUCH A NO BRAINER.
KING PETEY, DEFINITELY NOT WINNING

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:50:53 PM »
I'd say it's pretty much uncomparable, Tupac.

You can twist this however you want to but fame & relavancy come into play & Tupac has more then maybe anybody. Impact also is a category. When I use to say Joe Budden was good all I got back was that he didn't have "fame", didn't have "relavancy" & didn't have any "impact". So I guess this forum has determined the critera for greatness lol.

As for classics, pretty hard to leave "All Eyez On Me". Even if you don't think it's a classic, all these rappers who name drop classic albums as punchlines & such always reffer to that album. Had some filler, but still had mostly great classics. Then like Vans said, I don't think you can call 1990 Sick a classic if you're not going to call All Eyez On Me a classic.

& "realness" is a category? C'mon. Gucci Mane is "real" too, is he a nomination? & "Spice was realer, hence he's a better rapper"? The two have ZERO correlation with each other.

Popularity/Fame - Tupac
Relavancy - Tupac (even being dead)
Impact - Tupac
Best album - Tupac (Both Pac classics you named > )

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:08:13 AM »
I thought this would be a good topic, comparing 2 legends of hip hop and both from the Bay Area.

First I wanted to compare discographies. Pac had no weak albums while he was alive. But he only has two real classics: Me Against the World and 7 Day Theory. Spice 1 had 4 classics in a row: Spice 1, 187 He Wrote, Amerikkka's Nightmare, 1990 Sick. So Spice definitely takes it overall.

Now Pac is often mentioned as the realest rapper ever. But I think Spice 1 is even realer. Proof? There's no pictures of him dressed up as a ballerina floating around. Also, when Pac got shot he got mugged for all his jewelry. Spice got shot and still had that nigga running. so Spice 1 has to be realer.

And that's why I say Spice 1 is the greater rapper. Thoughts?
so is this the reason why spice has (2 PAC)tatted across his arm...u really need to stop mixing coke with your weed..peace.

doggfather

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Eddz

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:22:57 AM »
I'd say it's pretty much uncomparable, Tupac.

You can twist this however you want to but fame & relavancy come into play & Tupac has more then maybe anybody. Impact also is a category. When I use to say Joe Budden was good all I got back was that he didn't have "fame", didn't have "relavancy" & didn't have any "impact". So I guess this forum has determined the critera for greatness lol.

As for classics, pretty hard to leave "All Eyez On Me". Even if you don't think it's a classic, all these rappers who name drop classic albums as punchlines & such always reffer to that album. Had some filler, but still had mostly great classics. Then like Vans said, I don't think you can call 1990 Sick a classic if you're not going to call All Eyez On Me a classic.

& "realness" is a category? C'mon. Gucci Mane is "real" too, is he a nomination? & "Spice was realer, hence he's a better rapper"? The two have ZERO correlation with each other.

Popularity/Fame - Tupac
Relavancy - Tupac (even being dead)

Impact - Tupac
Best album - Tupac (Both Pac classics you named > )

I agree. Also I consider Strictly For My N.G.G.A.Z. a classic too.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:06:56 AM by Eddz »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »
Fanboy Thread

what are you, a pac fanboy? Yeah that's right, go overhype the nigga one more time. That's just what we need.  ::)

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 12:40:36 AM »
2pac is #1 to me, spice 1 is top 10 to me. so i go with 2pac... but love both these guys music.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 12:41:47 AM »
Then like Vans said, I don't think you can call 1990 Sick a classic if you're not going to call All Eyez On Me a classic.

lets be real kid, you haven't listened to the album. leave the discussion to those who know music

Jimmy H.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 01:27:03 AM »
Just some thoughts on a few different things posted in this thread...

- Reality has ZERO to do with great art or great artists.  Creative people are creative people.  You can tell me a made-up story about being abducted by aliens and brought to a far-away dimension or a real one about how you survived being shot at.  What I care about is how intruiging the story being told is.  If it so happens to have some basis in reality, it might add a little something extra to do it but even real stories are exaggarated through the eyes of those who tell them. Pac's strength in content was less the reality of them and more the passion in which he approached them. "Brenda's Got A Baby" is a fictional story but the passion behind it is real.

- I agree with the thread-starter's argument that Pac's only two classics are Me Against The World and 7-Day Theory. I love All Eyez On Me as a fun party album but it's far from a highlight of Pac's artistic strengths. He got home, grabbed a good deal of pre-existing (but undeniably banging) Death Row music and added his own touch to it. If you take the production and the guest features and the fact that it's Death Row at its peak, this album is a West Coast fanboy's wet dream before Pac even touches it. "All Eyez On Me" is a double album with a little more than a full disc's worth of classic songs but I don't think it's a classic album. With "Makaveli", he's working with far less established producers and limited his guest list. The songs segue smoothly into one another and the content has a more personal approach while showing his range. "All Eyez" was Tupac coming back quick in the biggest way possible with a strong commercial approach. "Makaveli" was almost like the answer to it. It's Pac showing that he can go from a more mainstream album to something smaller.

- Spice having Pac tatted on his arm has no relevancy to the debate in my opinion.  They were close friends and Pac passed. Getting another rapper tattoed on you doesn't equate to you bowing down to them as your artistic superior.

That being said, Pac had the stronger career, hands down.

Will_B

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 02:23:38 AM »
Pac did more fake laughs on his tracks, but Spice 1 goes 'Bleeeeeeeaaaaaahhhh!!!' an awful lot too.

Call it a draw :laugh:

kuruptDPG

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 04:00:07 AM »
i prefer spice1

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 06:51:39 AM »
everthing spice dropped up until immortalized was classic (immortalized was his first flop imo)

pac has 3 good albums...MATW, AEOM, and 7 day theory...all eyez on me was full of filler btw..

spice was an innovator....pac was more heartfelt...

better beat selection overall = spice 1

spice didnt have as many hard times, life is fucked up tracks as pac...but when he did..they were something....

spice hand down for me..