Author Topic: Infinite's views on Minstrel Shows  (Read 939 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Infinite's views on Minstrel Shows
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:00:33 AM »
Sorry but this is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. And its from a forum member no less. Had to be posted.

Spike Lee and other "black intellectuals" are always portraying the Slavery era minstrel shows as the ultimate evil in black entertainment. Whenever Spike wants to diss somebody like Tyler Perry or an ignorant rap artist, you will often hear them being compared to Minstrel Shows.

But there is another, hidden truth about Minstrel Shows and slavery that Spike Lee wouldn't very much like to admit. I'm going to point out 2 hidden truths, and open it up for discussion to see what ya'll think about this.

Hidden Truth #1. Minstrel Shows are often portrayed by black intellectuals as a way that whites would make fun of blacks. But they were actually a means in which WHITES ENVIED BLACKS. You have to understand that in that during the slavery era the church played a huge role in society. And life was not easy for white people. Whites worked very hard, and the church instructed them that idle time spent was evil and the work of the devil. Whites, ironically, envied blacks for their time spent in leisure, for their music, for their dance, for their sexual promiscuity, for their humor, for their FREEDOMS. Often, the only acceptable way for them to experience this was vicariously through the black-face minstrel shows.

Hidden Truth #2. Now the reason that "black intellectuals" don't like Minstrel Shows is they believe they portray stereotypes. Also, black intellectuals don't like to admit that many slaves spoke positively of their lives as a slave, and the larger percentage of freed slaves after the civil war chose to stay on the plantation, and even longed for the days of slavery. Black intellectuals don't like to admit this because they believe it depicts blacks as being inferior. See, black intellectuals like Spike Lee are focused primarily on BLACK POWER, so they fail to see that often life and lifestyles of whites in the slave era were MISERABLE, and that whites actually envied the joys of black life and the freedoms that black slaves had. Blacks had less responsibilities, and without an economic incentive, slaves would have their necessities taken care of whether or not they worked in sincerity. While whites and free blacks constantly worried over keeping a warm home and food on the table.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:02:33 AM by SPICE TWO »

Sami

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Infinite's views on Minstrel Shows
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:59:13 PM »
That's not just ignorant, it's grossly inaccurate when compared to the historical reality and blatantly racist IMHO.

Slaves worked constantly, treated as pack animals and they often faced substandard living conditions with the threat of death at any moment because their master just felt like killing them. They faced their families being chosen for them even if they were already married and their kids would be sold off as soon as they were ready for work.

They would be killed if they were perceived as having reading skills, leadership traits or any other attributes that threatened their owners.

They faced constant fear of torture and murder while held against their will.

No one envies that ever.

And that doesn't even cover Slavery Lite aka Jim Crow and the persistent state-approved terrorism from 1865-1975.

Don't go here Infinite, I'm a History major.

Sami

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 02:09:01 PM »
Now that I think about it this is even more racist than I first thought because the subtext is that blacks are talented musically because they are lazy and whites envied their laziness and that the lazy blacks are stupid and dependent on whites and that whites are the real victims.

That's BS though and he knows it.

Not_anunikke

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:20:48 PM »
Seeing how it's infinite you shouldn't look at the words but the person writing them.
Infinite is a deadbeat dead who has neglected his child, this means he can't handle responsibility.
Now what didn't the slaves have? indeed, responsibilities. Their work was tough and painful but they didn't have to think and take responsibility which as we now know, infinite isn't good with.

From this simple comparison we can conclude that infinite thinks slaves had it better because they didn't have any responsibility.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
You drew the wrong conclusions from my words.  I wasn't making an overall statement in support of slavery or saying that blacks had it better than whites.  I was simply pointing out the few areas in which whites privately and secretly envied blacks, and what really lead whites to turn out in such large numbers to see their favorite guilty pleasure of the time which was Minstrel Shows.

Slaves worked constantly

Whites and free blacks in the North also worked constantly, 14-16 hour days in the North, 6 days a week.  It's well documented blacks in the South actually had to work HARDER in the years that followed Emancipation then when they were slaves and provided for daily by their owner

they often faced substandard living conditions with the threat of death at any moment because their master just felt like killing them.

LOL... you dumbass, do you know how expensive slaves were?   How logical would be for somebody to just kill off their prize possession on a whim?  The slightest understanding of basic economics would have kept you from making such a stupid statement.

They faced their families being chosen for them even if they were already married and their kids would be sold off as soon as they were ready for work.

White families were broken up even more often then black families in those times.  For whites it was out of poverty, the father would have to move away to find employment or land, and the kids were conscripted in the army to fight and die in the steady stream of wars that went on at that time.  

And blacks may have been forced away from families and onto a plantation, but after that they were free sexually to have sex with whomever they chose.  Actually black women had more freedom then white women in that regard as it was legal for black women to get divorced, commit fornication, and even adultery; whereas white women were considered the property of their husband and could be raped every night of their live without any judicial recourse under the law.

They would be killed if they were perceived as having reading skills, leadership traits or any other attributes that threatened their owners.

Killed?  LOL... you dumbass, do you know how expensive slaves were?   How logical would be for somebody to just kill off their prize possession on a whim?  The slightest understanding of basic economics would have kept you from making such a stupid statement.  

They faced constant fear of torture and murder while held against their will.

As for torture... Corporal Punishment was the order of the day in those times all over the world.   If you did something against the State in those times, you got your ass beat, that was the way it was all over the world.  Parents would even beat the shit out of their own children in those times for looking sideways.   No doubt, slaves often got the worst of it, but MURDER??? WHAT...Murder?  LOL... you dumbass, do you know how expensive slaves were?   How logical would be for somebody to just kill off their prize possession on a whim?  The slightest understanding of basic economics would have kept you from making such a stupid statement.

No one envies that ever.

No one envies torture, but they do envy forms of expression that were unknown and not allowed for the White Christian nation in that era, sexual freedoms, song, dance, and the like were social and legal No No's for whites in that era.  And whites in the North weren't guaranteed 3 hots and a cots, and blacks after slavery found they had more work, responsibilities, and stresses after slavery than before it.  Statistics and historical accounts from slaves prove this.

Don't go here Infinite, I'm a History major.

Yes, you are a fine upstanding citizen.  You've been trained well in your government schools, and I see that you have watched the plagiarized novel Roots.  Congratulations, you have been lied to.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:02:08 PM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Your favorite posters favorite poster

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:47:27 PM »
You what I noticed about Brian, he talks about how we have been lied to and we believe whatever we are taught but whatever goes against popular belief he'll believe no questions asked.  He is no better than the brainwashed masses that take what cable news pundits say for gospel.  Brian is no better, he's just on the other side of the spectrum.  The 8 years he has been here, his beliefs have jumped all over the place and I noticed the pattern is whatever is the popular thought at the time he is the opposite of it.  He is desperately trying to stand out but he stands out for all the wrong reasons.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:32:15 PM »
You what I noticed about Brian, he talks about how we have been lied to and we believe whatever we are taught but whatever goes against popular belief he'll believe no questions asked.  He is no better than the brainwashed masses that take what cable news pundits say for gospel.  Brian is no better, he's just on the other side of the spectrum.  The 8 years he has been here, his beliefs have jumped all over the place and I noticed the pattern is whatever is the popular thought at the time he is the opposite of it.  He is desperately trying to stand out but he stands out for all the wrong reasons.

...I've been to Africa and back 3 times now, and spent 4 months there.  It's not an experience that a lot of people from my background are likely to have, so it shouldn't be surprising if my views on subjects of racism, slavery, African or American history might be a little different from the norm.  I remember being over there and just getting a strong feeling and indication that I needed to research more about the Trans-Atlantic slave trade cause what I'd previously from Roots or studying black nationalists or growing up in public schools could not have been a full representation of the truth.

But when it comes to other things like music, I've actually been criticized for being "normal" at this forum.  Like when it's obvious Dre is the greatest producer or 2pac is the greatest rapper you see me making posts stating the obvious.  And people who want to say Quik is the greatest producer or something like that will say that I "state the obvious" and just go with whatever is the pop choice.  Then people will say that my views are too pop.

Really, at the end of the day I'm just being myself, and I hold no pretensions, which is actually rare in society these days for someone to do that.  And it's time you got over your bitterness dawg, really I'm ready to dead the beef whenever you want to get over your bitterness, cause your an OG at the forum and you used to be pretty down back in the day.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sami

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »
Libertarianism is a massive scam, designed to make ignorance and corruption and greed look respectable, you're the dumbass for believing in it, and I fear for our society because soon people like you will privatize the school system, and we already know from studies that private schools actually do worse on average because private teachers don't need accreditation or training.

We are declining and collapsing now as a civilized society now because of people like you and the worst part of it is that ignorant so-called Libertarians like you don't yet realize is that you are just letting big corporations privatize every single formerly public institution so they can keep the vast majority of people illiterate and pseudo-intellectual like you while they have everything.

You're completely ignoring the documented facts that there were various slave laws throughout America from the start of slavery to the end sentencing any slave even suspected of reading or writing to immediate death.

The fact that you would make excuses for torture shames our nation but after Bush did I guess I'm not surprised.

Bananas

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 01:13:22 AM »
Damn Brian, you have once again ethered yourself for the 457th time on a forum dedicated to culture you pride yourself on knowing. It's just getting sad and creepy at this point.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 01:23:20 AM »
Libertarianism is a massive scam, designed to make ignorance and corruption and greed look respectable, you're the dumbass for believing in it, and I fear for our society because soon people like you will privatize the school system, and we already know from studies that private schools actually do worse on average because private teachers don't need accreditation or training.

We are declining and collapsing now as a civilized society now because of people like you and the worst part of it is that ignorant so-called Libertarians like you don't yet realize is that you are just letting big corporations privatize every single formerly public institution so they can keep the vast majority of people illiterate and pseudo-intellectual like you while they have everything.

You're completely ignoring the documented facts that there were various slave laws throughout America from the start of slavery to the end sentencing any slave even suspected of reading or writing to immediate death.

The fact that you would make excuses for torture shames our nation but after Bush did I guess I'm not surprised.
Libertarianism is far from what you say it is.  Libertarianism is all about having choices, good, bad, or whatever they may be.  This doesn't mean they advocate the "bad" ones.

And there are those who would use Libertarianism to keep people dumb and blind to keep themselves rich/powerful/whatever but those same people would and do use the "rules" we have in place now that supposedly make us so much safer to benefit themselves.  There are also people who would do the opposite.  We are becoming a culture that thinks "illegal" is synonymous with "bad", and "legal" can be "perfectly fine" regardless of the reality.

As for the slaves being killed immediately for reading, this was not the norm, but they were punished for it just not usually killed.  They were considered a commodity so what sense does it make to kill someone making you money.  I'm a history major (graduate) too.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:45:27 AM by Russell Bell »
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:58:48 AM »
We are becoming a culture that thinks "illegal" is synonymous with "bad", and "legal" can be "perfectly fine" regardless of the reality.

u must not live in America.  it's actually almost the total opposite (literally).

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 02:03:35 AM »
We are becoming a culture that thinks "illegal" is synonymous with "bad", and "legal" can be "perfectly fine" regardless of the reality.

u must not live in America.  it's actually almost the total opposite (literally).

Born/raised in California.
Maybe I misspoke.  Mainstream society that one would consider a "decent" human being is more what I was referring to.  And people who break the law don't automatically have no morals or moral compass they just choose to disregard it when they do what they do.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:10:38 AM by Russell Bell »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 02:12:34 AM »
Quote from: Sami on Yesterday at 11:32:02 PM
We are declining and collapsing now as a civilized society now because of people like you and the worst part of it is that ignorant so-called "Libertarians" like you don't yet realize is that you are just letting big corporations privatize every single formerly public institution so they can keep the vast majority of people illiterate and pseudo-intellectual like you while they have everything.

+1

alot of people literally really don't know WHO and WHAT they're voting for and what really is good or bad.  people are so easily tricked into what's right or wrong 4 them it's crazy, like if u were an alien and u came 2 Earth u'd probably be dumbfounded and flabbergasted at how dumb people can be. 

^^^^

I work for Wendy's at the Drive Thru (half the time) and I can't tell u how many dumb customers I run into everyday.  People are always asking "let me get the $1.00 4-piece Nuggets" or they'll try 2 treat u like a slave or show u disrespect like you're gonna get fired for doing something wrong or messing up an order.  lmao it's the greatest thing i've ever seen.  It's like little do u know nobody gets in trouble for that shit unless you're always doing it (like everyday all of the time) and Manager's 9/10 don't really give a fuck if the customer has a problem, plus Wendy's doesn't even have a "Dollar" Menu and never has so why would u get in front of this big ass bright yellow screen and say let me get "4 nuggets off the dollar menu, let me get tha dollar cheeseburger, and yada yada", like son, do u even read.  Or better yet they say "let me get the "Natural Cut Fries" instead of the regular fries" and it's like dogg that's all we have, why would we even sell both, it just doesn't make any sense, besides the name "Natural Cut Fries" doesn't sound like it's all that we would serve anyway?,smh. 

Longer story short, humans are idiots and I'm starting to see why Bill Maher calls humans idiots, half the time people don't even know what they look like.  I'm with Wayne on this 1 when he's like "I am not a human being", becuz we u look at shit in real life for what it iz you'd be surprised at how idiotic people can be.  And that's just 1 job i've had, i've seen other dumb shit I can tell y'all about that'll make u think three times about people. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:49:19 AM by The Real Cocaine™ »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 02:16:56 AM »

u must not live in America.  it's actually almost the total opposite (literally).

Maybe I misspoke.  Mainstream society that one would consider a "decent" human being is more what I was referring to.  And people who break the law don't automatically have no morals or moral compass they just choose to disregard it when they do what they do.

I know what u mean but the "mainstream society" your referring to is (paid) TV Media and/or Older White People (some older Blacks too).  "They" are hardly ever us, "they" are usually paid spokespeople (from literally corporations, and i hate 2 say it but the "illuminati") to promote and depict shit in a certain light.  Most people have a well rounded view of what's good or bad, most people in that sense know what's right from wrong if they hear ALL of tha facts and not just a 1-sided view of shit and why it was done.  But like i said "most people" not all lol

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 02:40:57 AM »

u must not live in America.  it's actually almost the total opposite (literally).

Maybe I misspoke.  Mainstream society that one would consider a "decent" human being is more what I was referring to.  And people who break the law don't automatically have no morals or moral compass they just choose to disregard it when they do what they do.

I know what u mean but the "mainstream society" your referring to is (paid) TV Media and/or Older White People (some older Blacks too).  "They" are hardly ever us, "they" are usually paid spokespeople (from literally corporations, and i hate 2 say it but the "illuminati") to promote and depict shit in a certain light.  Most people have a well rounded view of what's good or bad, most people in that sense know what's right from wrong if they hear ALL of tha facts and not just a 1-sided view of shit and why it was done.  But like i said "most people" not all lol

Nah Im casting a wider net than that.  My point is that people are being dumbed down by the second by not being able to think for themselves and come to their own conclusions about important issues, and as a result, mainstream society would rather look to govt (the higher power) to do more for them not realizing that you just can't force certain things with a law in a book somewhere.  Laws don't equal fairness or equity, necessarily.   

And I'd like to know, why is privatization so bad?  When a public school in any given town consistently fails why shouldn't the people of the area/teachers have more say in what goes on at said school?  Does the govt really have to "protect" us from our own selves that much?  Privatization doesnt mean "throw out all decency" it simply shifts responsibility from the people we supposedly elect to us.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:57:49 AM by Russell Bell »