Author Topic: Post any Nate Dogg stories/memories you may have from songs or whatever  (Read 7464 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I have two...

The first one was back in 1993, I was bumping Snoops album Doggystyle in my room before school.   I had only had the album a few weeks, and it was my first time listening to the track "Ain't No Fun".   I heard someone singing so automatically I thought it didn't sound right.  "This is supposed to be rap music, why is there singing"?  I was just a kid so it kind of threw me for a second... "Is this a love song?" I thought... I finally got what it was all about but it took me a couple listens, I was only 11.  Next thing I knew I was playing the song for my best friend at school the day, we had never heard some shit like that, it became an instant classic that day.

The second story is when I was driving out of town to visit a girlfriend.  I actually passed through Detroit and I wanted to hear what a Detroit rap station would sound like, since it was January 2001 and Detroit had a great scene at the time with Eminem, D12, Royce, etc.  Well the first song that came on was "Oh No" (it was my first time hearing the track it was just released) by Nate Dogg, Pharoah Monch and Mos Def.  Right away I was like, "Damn, Detroit radio is dope as fuck!" and I Nate was singing something like, "Been 2 or 3 days the same clothes", I had been on the road for two days and hadn't stopped to change clothes yet...  so then I was really feeling that shit!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:33:49 AM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Mista Rosa

I remember the first time I heard Nate.
That was in 1999, i was 11. I was never listening to music at that time because radio was always playing corny shit.
One day the TV was fucked up and i don't how how she did it, but my mom fixed it, and now we have MTV. I remember there's a week special Snoop Dogg, of course i knew Snoop by name and from my friends big brothers. And there is this song played, "Regulate". I remember when I hear Warren G, i was like "Man his flow is so cool", then Nate, I was like "Whaaaaaa that's the smoothest voice i've ever heard". That really was a revelation.
I just ran to get a piece of paper to write the name of the song and the artists. I didn't know the names of who was singing and who was rapping, back then there was no internet at home. I had to wait for 6 months, til August the 10th, for my big sister to offer me for my birthday G Funk Classics and Regulate The G Funk Era. Til this day that's the best presents i've ever received.
From that day i became a Nate Dogg fan and by extension 213 fan, DPG fan, Death Row fan, well you got me a West Coast fan.
Since i'm 11-12 i've always been talking to people about Nate. Everybody around me knows i'm a Nate fan and never one time somebody said to me "Nah that's wack, i don't like it". His skills, his incredible voice, have always been recognized. Even my mom now listen to Nate Dogg, and i've always been grateful that she wasn't familiar with english!
That's how i started listen to Nate Dogg, and believe me, when i heard him the first time, i knew i'll play his music for the rest of my life.

So thank you Nate.

People take the time to read stories and share yours! Thanks Infinite for starting this thread.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:38:39 AM by Mista Rosa »
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

Nima - Dubcnn.com

I have a similar story to mista rose, i discovered Nate through Regulate watching TV as a kid with my mother and the song came on I remember my mom liked it too, and Nate was one of the few hip-hop related artists she could bare.. Heard that song and never looked back.

He's also one of the few artists i never had the chance to interview. We were actually in touch with Nate in 2007, he had sent us his managers number via MySpace and I was in touch with his manager to set up the interview, we were scheduled to do it the week between Christmas and New Years Eve 2007... Sadly, Nate had his first stroke a few days before the interview went down and that was the end of it.

REST IN PEACE TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE ARTISTS OF ALL TIME!!!!

mackinoz

• Lil Geezy
Yeah thanks for this thread, i really think its deep, as soon as i heard Nate died i rolled a joint and played some of his shit. i remember on my year 6 graduation night i was listening to doggystyle, hearing Aint no Fun, and i always loved nate's style, never really said much but sung his heart out.
R.I.P Nate D-o- Double-G

wardy

I remember when i was first getting into rap music i was like who's this guy singing, and from then i became a huge fan of the whole of the dogg pound. One of a kind and will never be replaced by no fuckin Akon or T-Pain.

The famous Golf Club incident always makes me laugh like fuck, Nate could have been Tiger Woods before Tiger came out! lol

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Too many stories to pick a one. I'll just say he's the reason i started listening to rap music. Long long time ago... R.I.P. Nate Dogg  :'(

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
I hated Xxplosive the first 50 times I heard it.

Then one day I just fell in love with Nate's part.

Been lovin the song ever since.  ;D

''Now that Im sober you aint that fine'' !

Jungleboy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • From P-Funk to G-Funk
I remember when i was first getting into rap music i was like who's this guy singing, and from then i became a huge fan of the whole of the dogg pound. One of a kind and will never be replaced by no fuckin Akon or T-Pain.

The famous Golf Club incident always makes me laugh like fuck, Nate could have been Tiger Woods before Tiger came out! lol

yeah thats right! i just remembered the video..

Quote from: Soopafly DPGC about his hands
I don't live for the man, but I do study him so I can hope my pimp hands one day become as strong as his. When i first started listening to him, my hands were only strong enough to crush a beetle.  Now that i've studied him for 15 years, my hands are strong enough to crush a dog.

Soopahigh

I hated Xxplosive the first 50 times I heard it.

Then one day I just fell in love with Nate's part.

Been lovin the song ever since.  ;D

''Now that Im sober you aint that fine'' !

that part of the song is so funny  ;D

sdmaxx1

• Muthafuckin' OG
I got one from 94 when I was 17 moms an pops split up I moved out to New Mexico you know lowriders an all that graffiti shit was in hard core anyways me an my cuzzin were hangn out at some girlz pad that he knew from high school it was a rainy day
we drank some 40's smoked up an just got faded listenin to REGULATOR everytime I hear that song even now 15 years or whatever later I think about that fuckin day! damn R.I.P. Nate big ups to all the LBC I know there hurtin! GFUNK forever!

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Post any Nate Dogg stories/memories you may have from songs or whatever
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 06:13:21 AM »
No stories that stick out but he definitely defined most of my frat humor phase in the 90s, and I miss those days. RIP.

blazeindave213

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 06:33:10 AM »
wow thats all i can say first time i shed a tear in years that voice will be missed through out the world its a shame 2 lose such a great artis  banging first we pray right now and will be for a very long time also how long will they mourn me !!! :(
hoe, if I tell yo flea to pull a tree you get a chain and hook his lil ass up.

Will_B

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 06:46:48 AM »
For me the DPGC thing started in 94. About the same time Snoop was touring and doing promo's in the UK (Westwood show & late night TV etc.). I first heard Regulate and was an instant fan. I was only 17 at the time but was heavily into old skool Funk, Jazz and 80's Soul.. buying all the second hand vinyl I could, and although I'd loved seeing Snoop Dogg and his attitude and charisma, it was Warren and Nate that got me hooked. Regulate was and still is a well loved party track in the UK.
Everyone knows Nates classic hook, and whether they're into hiphop or not people seem to just love Nate's voice. For me it was a combination of this new G-Funk sound and the fact I was already a fan of the Michael MacDonald track. G-Funk was the thing for me. To this day I'm still banging half West Coast Rap/half Funk Soul and Jazz and some alternive Rock like The Flaming Lips. G-Funk is a part of my life and thank Nate Dogg. R.I.P.

Get It Off Ya Chest

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 07:19:20 AM »
I don't really have particularly outstanding stories. But when I first started listening to the Chronic, Deez Nuuts was one of my favourite songs from it, and Nate's part was the best part of the song. I just couldn't get his part out my head, was constantly singing it to myself  :laugh:

The outro on Next Episode is similar in that respect, first few times of hearing the song I had to just stop what I was doing and try and sing along to the outro :laugh:

Also, on a less significant note, his line on Eminem's Shake That Ass "I get more ass than a toilet seat" is just quality, funny every time you hear it 8)

D-TalkX

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
Nate Dogg got me through a lot of tough times. His G-Funk CD was played a lot over the years. I listened to "Money" before every baseball game I played before I got injured. I also didn't go anywhere without my Murder was the Case OST when I was a kid. One More Day is still one of my favourite songs of all time.