Author Topic: Post any Nate Dogg stories/memories you may have from songs or whatever  (Read 7463 times)

dnjp4life

Re: Post any Nate Dogg stories/memories you may have from songs or whatever
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 09:06:59 AM »
I first started listening to Nate Dogg through all of the 2Pac songs that he was featured on.  His hook on 'All About You' is a pure classic and makes that song for me, among countless others.  Then I branched out and heard all of the Death-Row related stuff that he was featured on, as well as the hit chart singles such as 'Area Codes' and 'I Like That' (remember that one  :)).

I realised that there was more to him than being a chorus man and so I got familiar with his solo work and purchased a copy of his greatest hits and his G-Funk Classics Volume 1 record.  Basically been a massive fan ever since and always seek out songs that he's involved with.

It's crazy to think that he was featured on singles and albums that have probably sold in excess of 100 million units to this day.  Not many can lay claim to that, and that's why he's sort of an unsung hero of hip-hop in my opinion.  Even people who don't listen to rap recognise Nate Dogg and like some of the songs he's featured on.  He's one of very few rap artists that transcend musical boundaries in that respect.

It's also a real shame that his G-Funk Classics album was never properly released when Death Row Records was in its prime.  I have no doubt that it would have been another one of their great successes and given Nate the recognition that he deserves.

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 09:31:43 AM »
I first started listening to Nate Dogg through all of the 2Pac songs that he was featured on.  His hook on 'All About You' is a pure classic and makes that song for me, among countless others.  Then I branched out and heard all of the Death-Row related stuff that he was featured on, as well as the hit chart singles such as 'Area Codes' and 'I Like That' (remember that one  :)).

I realised that there was more to him than being a chorus man and so I got familiar with his solo work and purchased a copy of his greatest hits and his G-Funk Classics Volume 1 record.  Basically been a massive fan ever since and always seek out songs that he's involved with.

It's crazy to think that he was featured on singles and albums that have probably sold in excess of 100 million units to this day.  Not many can lay claim to that, and that's why he's sort of an unsung hero of hip-hop in my opinion.  Even people who don't listen to rap recognise Nate Dogg and like some of the songs he's featured on.  He's one of very few rap artists that transcend musical boundaries in that respect.

It's also a real shame that his G-Funk Classics album was never properly released when Death Row Records was in its prime.  I have no doubt that it would have been another one of their great successes and given Nate the recognition that he deserves.

Agree brother. I mean when someone like Cher acknowledge your passing away you're def known outside of the urban world.

Suga Foot

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 09:37:27 AM »
- I don't remember when I first heard Nate but I had Doggystyle on tape when I was 11 or 12.  I remember when the "Never Leave Me Alone" single came out I kept bugging my parents to buy it for me.  Also his death row album came out in Canada for a few days before it was pulled off shelves.  I still have mine unopened, still sealed.

- I was pissed that Nate wasn't at the Up In Smoke tour in Vancouver. 

- I remember too around 2004 there was a Chingy & Nate Dogg show in Vancouver.  I didn't get tickets but we went down to the club to see if we could get in anyway, there was like 5 of us on a mission that night.  Turned out Nate couldn't get across the border into Canada tho.  We got to the club and they had signs on all the doors saying Nate wasn't there.  They almost had a riot on they're hands that night.  People were not happy.

- I never did get to see him live.  And I've been missing him since 2008.  He was almost always the best part of the songs he was in.

gfunkgueroLA

• 'G'
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 09:50:22 AM »
One day I went to the city of Lakewood to visit my homie, and we were just chilling outside when all of a sudden this guy by the name of Nate Dogg parks in front of the neighbors house. It just happen to be that my homie was neighbors with Nate Dogg's baby mama, he was surrounded by little kids from the neighborhood when they seen him get out. He gave them CD's, posters, and he even gave some youngsters some money!! Nate a real person...R.I.P. Nathaniel Hale a.k.a. Nate Dogg and again thanks for giving us something to vibe out to when we were feeling down... :'(

jeanmiche777

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 09:57:47 AM »
I got nto Nate music later than everyone here. I started to get into rap and buying some CD's, and I bought Doggystyle because I liked Snoop Dogg. I remember that ''Ain't No Fun'' wasn't my favorite track at all. I didn't understand, at that time, why somebody was singing in a Rap song. I tought it was corny. One day, one of my friend had his house for the week. I was young, maybe 16 or 17 at that time.So we made a big party all week, almost didn't sleep, smokin' and drinkin' like every teenager does. One night, one of my friend played Doggystyle. We were high as fuck, and when ''Ain't No Fun'' was playing, he said it was the best song on the CD. I was like wth there's somone singing, it's so corny. And he almost laughed at me, saying the lyrics are funny and the way he sings is very unique. So I opened my ears after that, and started to just love his part on the song. I had ''2001'' too, and I just discovered the genius of his verse on ''XXplosive''. He really is one of a kind, truly the king of the hooks. Nobody ever came close. The greatest rapper of all time is hard to define, but Nate really is the greatest singer in this genre of all time, no doubt about that.

LiLDuVall tHe CaLi-Vanian

• 'G'
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 10:32:49 AM »
im originally from long beach so i grew up on the chronic , doggystyle and all the classic shit.  i remember movin to Pennslyvania around 94 around the time regulate was poppin i remember all the kids asking me is their really a eastside motel they were so amazed that i was from long beach lol

i remember watchin YO mtv raps bacc in the day and snoop daz nate, kurupt rage were all being interviewed by fab 5 freddy and there was nate dogg wit a big ass bubble first down jacket a black one at that in the hot california sun i was thinkn damn aint this nigga hot in that lol but he was cool as shit didn't break no sweat

RIP to Nate Dogg he helped put long beach on the map, and his music was apart of my childhood definitely will miss his voice

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 11:24:52 AM »
Back in September 1998 I had bought G-Funk Classics 1 & 2 and for some particular reason when I Don't Wanna Hurt No More came on I put it on repeat and listened to it for like 5 or 6 times in a row while staring out my window and just thinking about life in general.

I'll never forget that moment.

R.I.P. Nathaniel Hale.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

dexter

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:08 AM »
One day I went to the city of Lakewood to visit my homie, and we were just chilling outside when all of a sudden this guy by the name of Nate Dogg parks in front of the neighbors house. It just happen to be that my homie was neighbors with Nate Dogg's baby mama, he was surrounded by little kids from the neighborhood when they seen him get out. He gave them CD's, posters, and he even gave some youngsters some money!! Nate a real person...R.I.P. Nathaniel Hale a.k.a. Nate Dogg and again thanks for giving us something to vibe out to when we were feeling down... :'(

nuk23

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
When I was in high school, I had this homie who used to gangbang.  His homie had gotten killed a lil before I started hanging out with him. And then he got kicked outta school so he had started coming to my school. He was from Compton, I'm from Carson(next city over) and I used to give him a ride back home sometimes. Back then, I used to be playing G-Funk classics heavy .. And he always told me to play "first we pray"..  He used to tell me, that was the realist rap song ever, I guess cuz it hit so close to him and what he was going thru.  We used to zone out to that song all the time.

I'm well balanced, with immense talents...  Burn the script, then flip it to keep myself challenged.

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »
that steve1der mix was a great tribute!
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

Scrappy Doo

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
Back in September 1998 I had bought G-Funk Classics 1 & 2 and for some particular reason when I Don't Wanna Hurt No More came on I put it on repeat and listened to it for like 5 or 6 times in a row while staring out my window and just thinking about life in general.

I'll never forget that moment.

R.I.P. Nathaniel Hale.

Can picture that, dope memory

Mista Rosa

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 05:25:07 PM »
I remember when i just got internet at home, i was spending nights on the net reading and learning westcoast stories. How Eazy started NWA, Death Row and Ruthless, Pac's assassination, how 213 came up. Who was from LB, Compton etc. I was always searching for news about Nate. I remember i was so confused about his solo albums, i didn't get english very well, and thought G Funk Classics and Ghetto Preacher The Prodigal Son were different albums. I found a website dedicated to Nate with the catchphrase "must be a single with Nate Dogg singing on it". There was a giant list with all his apparitions. I printed it at my school and then spent night on limewire searching for each song. When i had the song i highlighted it with a feutre. I still have that list at home. I remember beefing with my stepfather because of limewire fucking the computer. He used to deinstall it and me reinstall it. I thought that if i threw the icon on the trash bin that would desinstall limewire and he wouldn't have known that i reinstalled it! The hardest song to get was "Drank Anthem" from the St Ides commercial.
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 06:08:18 PM »
I remember that my older sister used to listen to the radio when I was around 7 years old and regulate has been played a lot. To that time, I didn't knew shit who it was. like 5 years later I started listening to Snoop Dogg and west coast rap and I liked Nate's parts on Snoop's songs from the beginning. And then I bumped "Regulate... The G-Funk Era" for the first time and I was like 'daaaaaaaamn, that's that jam from years ago' and I tried to get "G-Funk Classics" as soon as possible. I was expecting a rap album with a lotta singing of course, but still a rap album. but what I got kinda blew me away. I wasn't into music like "Scared Of Love", "Almost In Love" or "Crazy Dangerous" but from that point on I started collecting and listening to that classic funk and soul shit that Nate got inspired by. And I started spreading Nate's music to my friends. And it's in fact true what peeps like mista rosa say - everyone liked nate. even people who didn't like rap music at first or in general did like tracks with Nate. And I was almost impressed that my father recognized him after I showed him a track by Nate the first time. I don't know anybody who said Nate sucks.

To close this, I'ma write something down my best friend said when we were smokin and listening to some songs and "Bitch Please 2" was playing. He said something like: "You know, I dunno if it's just me, but there are so many songs that juist sound ordinary, they may have a cool beat and all, but they are not special. And then there are songs like this one. You start listening and may say 'yea, cool track' but you don't really follow the song intently. But all of a sudden you hear that singing and even when it's just 4 lines or whatever, you get pulled back to it and feel like it's dope as fuck. He just puts the special thing to a song, something remarkable that no one can copy."

and this was pretty much how I felt as well and I still feel the same way to this day. Nate put a lotta songs on a higher level and made them a classic. Quote Cube "It ain't a hit, til Nate Dogg spit"

Much love to his family and friends, we all miss you Nate!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:29:53 PM by Si-Chiggedy »
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »
the first time i heard nate...it was a trip...i literally thought it was a dream...back when i was a kid i used to listen to the radio to go to sleep...i was 13 years old

well, on this particular night i had just finished watching the movie 'young guns' with emilio estevez and charlie sheen etc...after the movie was over, i got into bed, turned on the radio and a monologue from "young guns" came on (the intro to regulate "...we regulate any stealin of his property we're damn good, too...regulators, round up!"). What tripped me out...as it started i was thinking...how did the movie monologue get on my radio? what the hell is going on? and then i heard the michael mcdonald sample and thought my mom was fuckin with me (she used to listen to michael mcdonald a lot). i jumped up, turned on the lights, and boom...nate and warren hit me.

nate's been missed the past 4 years...but now, sad to say RIP...thanks for opening the eyes of a young white kid.

Blood$

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 07:22:27 PM »
I bought Doggystyle and 2001 both when I was in 4th grade so I heard Nate on there, and then I remember seeing Fabolous' "Can't Deny It" and Ludacris' "Area Codes" both on TV around the same time frame and always loved Nate's hooks on those songs, and from there on he became one of my favorites

I also just remember one time a few years back I had the top dropped in my whip during the summer and just riding around bumpn' "All Night Long", good times  8)