Author Topic: N. Korea plays Bush like a fiddle  (Read 2006 times)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
N. Korea plays Bush like a fiddle
« on: January 06, 2003, 11:54:34 AM »
'Dear Leader' Kim knows the Americans would rather pay than fight
By ERIC MARGOLIS -- Contributing Foreign Editor

This column has warned since 1993 of the danger posed by North Korea's odious Stalinist regime and its nuclear weapons. But lately, we confess a measure of amusement, even sneaking professional admiration, for North Korea's "Dear Leader," Kim Jong-il, for playing a really mean game of Pyongyang bluff poker.

Although he resembles a hostile alien in a Japanese science fiction film, and rules over a bankrupt nation suffering mass starvation, Kim has thrown the mighty United States on the defensive, terrified his neighbours, churned up anti-American sentiment in South Korea and exposed the illogic, hypocrisy and contradictions of President George Bush's rationale for war against Iraq.

By revealing his nuclear arsenal and kicking out UN inspectors, Kim Jong-il was in effect telling Bush, "You want a war? Try one against a real opponent, not almost defenseless Iraq. We've got nukes, germs, poison gas, missiles galore and a million tough troops. Remember your 'axis of evil' tirade? Here we are, the Asian third of the axis. Come and get us."

Double standard

Clearly flustered, President Bush responded to Kim's dare by first hinting at war, then backing down and calling for negotiations - the same president who categorically refuses to negotiate anything with Iraq. Bush's embarrassing double standard over Iraq and Korea has provoked derision around the world.

Kim's defiance has two objectives.

First, capitalize on rising anti-American sentiment among young South Koreans, who do not remember how the United States and UN forces saved their nation from the murderous ferocity of the North Korean communists in 1950. South Koreans have long resented extra-territorial rights enjoyed by the 37,000 U.S. troops permanently based in their nation. The recent acquittal of American soldiers who accidentally killed two Korean schoolgirls triggered large anti-U.S. riots in Seoul and helped elect new president Roh Moo-hyuan, who broke a long-held taboo by daring to question the continued presence of American forces in Korea.

South Koreans are extremely patriotic, prickly people. Their long political and cultural humiliation by Japan has produced a national thirst for international status and esteem. Many young Koreans see their governments, past and present, as too accommodating to U.S. interests. By contrast, they regard the Stalinist regime in Pyongyang as the standard-bearer of Korean nationalism, and the force that will unify divided Korea and "liberate" it from American and Japanese influence. Koreans are delighted when they watch the hated Japanese quail in fear before the threat of Kim's missiles, about 200 of which are targeted on Japan and U.S. bases there.

Kim's second objective is to extort money from the U.S., South Korea and Japan by using his nuclear weapons as bargaining chips. According to Pentagon estimates, a war against North Korea will require 650,000 U.S. troops and could cost 250,000 American casualties.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:N. Korea plays Bush like a fiddle
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 11:55:17 AM »
Kim knows the Americans would rather pay than fight. Since the Vietnam debacle, the U.S. has warred only against small nations with little or no ability to defend themselves: Grenada, Panama, Libya, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan. "Dear Leader" Kim chose his time well, knowing that U.S. claims it can fight both Iraq and North Korea at the same time are exaggerated. If Bush persists in his obsession to invade Iraq, he will likely have to secretly buy off dangerous North Korea.

As for nervous South Koreans, they fear the Bush administration's so far inept, confused handling of the crisis might spark a war in which South Korea would suffer enormously. U.S. threats to attack North Korea's nuclear installations, Pyongyang has made clear, will result in a massive conventional, chemical and even nuclear bombardment of the South Korean capital, Seoul, home of 10.3 million people.

Not surprisingly, South Korea urges patient negotiations and caution.

Japan is watching with dismay and trepidation, furious at North Korea for past kidnappings of Japanese students, but fearful of provoking North Korea which, many Japanese believe, would gleefully exact nuclear revenge on Japan. Tokyo is quite happy with the status quo of a divided Korea. A united Korea would challenge Japan for primacy in North Asia and present a major military and industrial threat. Behind closed doors, Japanese defence officials are urging the crash construction of an anti-missile system and even production of nuclear weapons. Japan could fabricate about a dozen nuclear weapons in less than three months.

A big brother

China just denounced Bush's menaces against North Korea as "hawkish and dangerous." Historically, China is big brother to Korea, but has always respected Korean independence. When the great Japanese warlord, Hideyoshi, ordered his Samurai armies to invade Korea in 1592, China sent armies across the Yalu River that helped drive the Japanese from the peninsula. In a remarkably similar campaign, Chinese armies again went into Korea in late 1950, this time to fight the Americans.

Beijing views North Korea as an ally and buffer against Japan and the U.S. China has made clear it will support Kim Jong-il, though urging him to restrain his nuclear gasconading. Any major U.S. attack on North Korea could mean war with China. Russia also supports North Korea.

The macho Bush administration, suddenly faced by a real and dangerous opponent in North Korea, clearly does not know what to do - except bomb Iraq.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.canoe.ca/Columnists/margolis_jan5.html

this is why i love Eric Margolis
« Last Edit: January 06, 2003, 11:56:07 AM by Stereotypical Afghan with Turban, Beard & AK 47 »
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Woodrow

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2003, 12:23:29 PM »
He had some good points, but it's IMOSSIBLE to win with you...

you get your panties in a bunch when we attack somebody, and when we choose not to attack somebody, you don't like that either...

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2003, 12:26:00 PM »
i dont think its impossible to win with me

i get upset when america attacks a nation because i feel there is no justification for it, nah mean?

i bring up Bushes stance on North Korea to compare it with his stance on Iraq, im opposed to Bush going after N Korea too....

- Lewis Carroll

min0rity

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2003, 03:19:46 PM »
could you imagine a Reunited korea??? shit..not many countries could fuck with us then....

Koncept

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2003, 03:45:16 PM »
yeah... bush is a pussy

Kaidy

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2003, 06:16:13 PM »
I was talking to a friend of mine who's in the English army. He said they've been told that US and the UK won't start any war with North Korea because basically they know they'd get fucked up. Iraq on the other hand they know they can beat relatively easily.

Hmm whats that old saying. Oh yea... Pick on someone your own size?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2003, 06:45:24 PM »
US and the UK won't start any war with North Korea because basically they know they'd get fucked up.

I'm not too sure about that statement.

Kaidy

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2003, 07:12:16 PM »
Me either, but that's just what I was told. Fact is they're not preparing to fight N. Korea, at least not right now.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2003, 07:50:18 PM »
i don't think we'd get fucked up...as in lose the war

since vietnam we don't want to see another draft (even though i would't mind going) where 18 year old kids go to get killed and don't have a chance to live their lives, everyone here is pretty much like an overprotective parent when it comes to shit like that

we'd win the war, but we don't like the fact that we'd have to have people , rather , OUR people die.....

so i guess that statement was meant in context to yeah we'd win but at a fucked up cost

EX. yeah you can have 5 bucks but you gotta tounge kiss your sister

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

min0rity

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2003, 08:33:17 PM »
i don't think we'd get fucked up...as in lose the war

since vietnam we don't want to see another draft (even though i would't mind going) where 18 year old kids go to get killed and don't have a chance to live their lives, everyone here is pretty much like an overprotective parent when it comes to shit like that

we'd win the war, but we don't like the fact that we'd have to have people , rather , OUR people die.....

so i guess that statement was meant in context to yeah we'd win but at a fucked up cost

EX. yeah you can have 5 bucks but you gotta tounge kiss your sister

why are you so damn arrogant??? you make it sound like it would be a cakewalk to win the war against north korea if there was one...kid....

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2003, 08:54:41 PM »
whatever, your only attacking me becuase you caugt feelings during a Kobe bryant argument,lol

plus i think either tech and infinate said we could win easily over N korea, in one ofthe "bush is going to attack iraq and n korea at same time thread"

min0rity

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2003, 08:58:33 PM »
whatever, your only attacking me becuase you caugt feelings during a Kobe bryant argument,lol

plus i think either tech and infinate said we could win easily over N korea, in one ofthe "bush is going to attack iraq and n korea at same time thread"

umm..NO..you're the one who couldn't respond so had to call me a 'chink' cuz of your insecurities..

like i was saying....when theres a war..you never know

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2003, 09:03:54 PM »
lol @ i couldn't respond, i made a whole epic post defending my case,all you did was say the same thing over again and twist facts

min0rity

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2003, 09:05:24 PM »
lol @ i couldn't respond, i made a whole epic post defending my case,all you did was say the same thing over again and twist facts

i guess you must be blind....if youre defending your case, you shouldn't have to resort to racism over a basketball argument don't you think??? now that my friend, is pure ignorance....
« Last Edit: January 06, 2003, 09:07:00 PM by drunken_mastenori »