Author Topic: #WESTCOASTWEDNESDAYS: DJ Quik "How To Rap" Interview Series (Week Six)  (Read 871 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: #WESTCOASTWEDNESDAYS: DJ Quik "How To Rap" Interview Series (Week Six)
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »
Even Gift of Gab had to cheat and go back to the books to get the terms correct.  ;D

Only an idiot would say Quik can't rap.

If you listen to his lyrics and think he's a lyricist, something's wrong with you. If looking words up in a book makes one a lyricist, then everyone should be doing it instead of dropping mediocre rhymes.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 06:20:15 PM »
Even Gift of Gab had to cheat and go back to the books to get the terms correct.  ;D

Only an idiot would say Quik can't rap.

If you listen to his lyrics and think he's a lyricist, something's wrong with you. If looking words up in a book makes one a lyricist, then everyone should be doing it instead of dropping mediocre rhymes.

I don't have a problem with Gift looking up words in a book because I know Gift is a top tier MC but to many Mcs its considered cheating. Gza spoke about this before in an interview and it's pretty simple to understand why. Also, when I made that comment, I was really just joking because I know Gift is gifted and have nothing bad to say about his skills. As far as Quik, I do consider him a lyricist. Is he Gift of Gab? NOPE and he doesn't have to be. You stated that he was not a "good" rapper and you quickly bring up Gift of Gab. You ride him so hard and always try to promote lyricism but you have a big ass poster of SPICE 1??? The book is called " HOW TO RAP" and it has nothing to do with being the greatest lyricist. To say he can't rap is stupid. IMO Quik is underrated and it's mostly his fault because he spends most of his time with the music but I've heard Quik spit some dope shit. He has the potential and is a vet in the game. Many GREAT Mcs like Kweli have stated this. I understand you don't like him but stop making these ridiculous comparisons. Understand that there's different levels of lyricism, so unless someone here says that Quik is a better lyricist than Gift, then you can start spreading your "knowledge" and defend your Gift.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 08:09:41 AM »
Word, some of my favorite MCs and tracks don't have like the best MCing in the world, they are just good to listen to even if they are simplified.

Eg. I think Tech N9ne is one of the most skilled MCs I've ever heard, and I do like a lot of his songs, but sometimes I prefer to listen to Quik's rhymes or Cypress Hill or others who aren't doing CRAZY stuff on the mic, but are still good to listen to

Sometimes it's just about having your own style and personality, sometimes it's just how dope someone's voice sounds against the beats they chose or made, so you don't always have to be super-lyrical IMO

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 08:49:06 AM »
Any idiot can rap. Just go onto youtube and you'll see them. I assume the point of the book was How to Rap GOOD. In that case they should have been interviewing those who are good at it.

What does who I have in my sig have to do with this discussion? Notice I haven't even said at all that I don't listen to Dj Quik, you're making that assumption based off of nothing. A sign of hurt feelings. And you're seriously comparing DJ Quik to Spice 1? You're officially an idiot. End thread right there.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:56:27 AM by SPICE TWO »

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »
Word, some of my favorite MCs and tracks don't have like the best MCing in the world, they are just good to listen to even if they are simplified.

Eg. I think Tech N9ne is one of the most skilled MCs I've ever heard, and I do like a lot of his songs, but sometimes I prefer to listen to Quik's rhymes or Cypress Hill or others who aren't doing CRAZY stuff on the mic, but are still good to listen to

Sometimes it's just about having your own style and personality, sometimes it's just how dope someone's voice sounds against the beats they chose or made, so you don't always have to be super-lyrical IMO

Exaaaaactly! You see how easy it is to understand the beauty of Hip Hop. Everyone has their own style. Most of my favorite music and artist are considered TOP of the line Mcs but I know how to separate artists and understand that everyone has different qualities. Many things can make you an MC. Tribe Called Quest are legends in Hip Hop and Q-Tip style was very simple and direct. He wasn't always bombarding you with a grip of lyrics. He made some sick songs with nice rhymes that had substance, with messages and concepts that were very dope.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 07:38:18 PM »
Any idiot can rap. Just go onto youtube and you'll see them. I assume the point of the book was How to Rap GOOD. In that case they should have been interviewing those who are good at it.

What does who I have in my sig have to do with this discussion? Notice I haven't even said at all that I don't listen to Dj Quik, you're making that assumption based off of nothing. A sign of hurt feelings. And you're seriously comparing DJ Quik to Spice 1? You're officially an idiot. End thread right there.

Hahaha speaking of hurt feelings. I only brought up Spice because you ride him hard. So I figured I use him as an example to prove that you are bipolar. Nah not anyone can rap brotha. They try to Rap and I'm sure most hip hop fans would quickly figure out who has talent or not. You say that I'm making assumptions about you but your first mistake came from your assumption that the point of the book was, HOW TO RAP GOOD. Wrong! Does that even make sense??? Who the fuck would believe that a book would make you a GOOD rapper haha. And you're calling me an idiot? Some things you can't teach homie. It takes skill and natural talent. Ultimately that's what separates MCs. You can read all you want but it wont guarantee that you will be the next Gift of Gab. To say that Quik is not a good rapper makes me assume that you don't listen to him. Can you blame me? It's pretty obvious you are the one that's hurt because you always seem to attack people with that same line. Knowing that UCC also agreed with my comment further proves why you're hurt.

I give you credit for preaching lyricism and trying to introduce some of the underground TOP West Coast MCs to this forum (which it desperately needs) but sometimes it seems that you just want attention and it leads to your senseless and ignorant comments. You're only making yourself look like a poser and makes me question whether you really listen to any of these MCs that you always talk about. Leave all that childish shit out the window homie and lets start being real.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 08:03:53 PM »
Hahaha speaking of hurt feelings. I only brought up Spice because you ride him hard.

so you randomly bring up another rapper because you have nothing else to say. It means you have no argument and you lose.

You say that I'm making assumptions about you but your first mistake came from your assumption that the point of the book was, HOW TO RAP GOOD. Wrong! Does that even make sense??? Who the fuck would believe that a book would make you a GOOD rapper haha. And you're calling me an idiot? Some things you can't teach homie. It takes skill and natural talent. Ultimately that's what separates MCs. You can read all you want but it wont guarantee that you will be the next Gift of Gab.

That's the name of the book genius. I doubt the book by itself will make an idiot a lyricist will but its purpose is to show its audience what makes a good rapper and how they go about their craft. I'm sure it has been helpful to many aspiring emcees.

btw you're wrong, rapping CAN be taught to most people if they have the devotion. If you had even read the book you would know that these artists became good because they practice that shit 247 and try to increase as much knowledge as they can. No one is born flowing their ass off. A good analogy I use for rapping is that its easy to learn, hard to master.

To say that Quik is not a good rapper makes me assume that you don't listen to him.

Where would you get that? Dre isn't good at rapping, Eazy wasn't good at rapping, I still listen to them. There's being good at rapping and there's sounding good on a track. There's also a lot of times where the beat or hook will carry the song. That's the reason a lot of the rappers you hear on the radio aren't exactly lyricists. I don't discriminate my music taste to only the guys spitting next level shit.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
Hahaha speaking of hurt feelings. I only brought up Spice because you ride him hard.

so you randomly bring up another rapper because you have nothing else to say. It means you have no argument and you lose.

You say that I'm making assumptions about you but your first mistake came from your assumption that the point of the book was, HOW TO RAP GOOD. Wrong! Does that even make sense??? Who the fuck would believe that a book would make you a GOOD rapper haha. And you're calling me an idiot? Some things you can't teach homie. It takes skill and natural talent. Ultimately that's what separates MCs. You can read all you want but it wont guarantee that you will be the next Gift of Gab.

That's the name of the book genius. I doubt the book by itself will make an idiot a lyricist will but its purpose is to show its audience what makes a good rapper and how they go about their craft. I'm sure it has been helpful to many aspiring emcees.

btw you're wrong, rapping CAN be taught to most people if they have the devotion. If you had even read the book you would know that these artists became good because they practice that shit 247 and try to increase as much knowledge as they can. No one is born flowing their ass off. A good analogy I use for rapping is that its easy to learn, hard to master.

To say that Quik is not a good rapper makes me assume that you don't listen to him.

Where would you get that? Dre isn't good at rapping, Eazy wasn't good at rapping, I still listen to them. There's being good at rapping and there's sounding good on a track. There's also a lot of times where the beat or hook will carry the song. That's the reason a lot of the rappers you hear on the radio aren't exactly lyricists. I don't discriminate my music taste to only the guys spitting next level shit.

I lose hahaha? I thought I told you to leave all this childish shit out homie. How old are you seriously? Last time I heard someone tell me that over an argument, was when I was in elementary. There's no point in replying.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 09:28:40 PM »
L handed out  8)

polepositon

u niggas is juking eachothers butts and making no noise. shut up spice two.

Triple OG Rapsodie

lol @ dis nigga bumping a month old thread.

polepositon

lol @ u still having nothing to add to this thread but some bs. so, stay off the bs. thks.

Triple OG Rapsodie

No, I dropped my opinion. But speaking of bs, you bumped an oldass thread just to reply to me because you were hurt. Fail kid.

polepositon

K.