Author Topic: whats up with this D.O.C. album?  (Read 1535 times)

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
Re: whats up with this D.O.C. album?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 12:54:43 PM »
Sick talent, especially in his time. He could do it all. To bad his voice is fucked up.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 03:06:25 PM »
DOC is extremely overrated as a writer. How do you become a top tier lyricist by writing average lyrics for gangsta rappers?

its more then just the lyrics...he knows how to write a catchy hook and he structures the songs well.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 03:17:11 PM »
DOC is extremely overrated as a writer. How do you become a top tier lyricist by writing average lyrics for gangsta rappers?

its more then just the lyrics...he knows how to write a catchy hook and he structures the songs well.

That's great and all but still doesn't explain how he's being compared to real lyricists.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 03:18:57 PM »
probably because he wrote some of the  biggest rap records that have ever charted...that would be my guess.

the art has progressed since his heyday but it dont make his contribution any less relevant.

didnt he write most of the blue carpet treatment?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 03:40:36 PM »
probably because he wrote some of the  biggest rap records that have ever charted...that would be my guess.

the art has progressed since his heyday but it dont make his contribution any less relevant.

didnt he write most of the blue carpet treatment?

He wrote 2 songs on BCT....none of them with lyrics that would blow you away

I would understand if the nigga was ghostwriting classic verses for Nas....but he's not. He's writing throwaway verses for gangsta rappers that a real lyricist wouldn't touch. If Dre were writing his own shit no one would be calling Dre an amazing lyricist. If you aren't coming out with great lyrics, how the fuck are you a great lyricist? Cmon son.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 07:37:46 PM »
being able to write songs and being a great lyricst are two totally different things.

there are alot of dudes out there who can rap like a motherfucker but cant put together a good song/album for shit.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 08:44:32 PM »
being able to write songs and being a great lyricst are two totally different things.

there are alot of dudes out there who can rap like a motherfucker but cant put together a good song/album for shit.

No that's freestyling. Lyricists are lyrics to a song. If you can't write great lyrics, you aren't a great lyricist.

Nas is a great lyricist because his lyrics make the song. Even over average production he can make a track stand out. Dre can make great songs, but its not because of the lyrics that they're great. His shit is carried by the production. There was nothing special about the lyrics the DOC was ghostwriting. Proof? DOC wasn't the only dude writing for him. There's many examples of Dre songs that have become hits regardless of who the fuck wrote the lyrics.

Anyway as I was saying, the DOC is not a great lyricist.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »
rap as far as i can tell your the only person in this thread that even used DOC and the word lyricist in the same sentence...If you read through this thread i said he can write his ass off and ill stand by that statement as hes penned many songs that we both know by heart im sure of it...your talking yourself into a corner just for the sake of arguing.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »
rap as far as i can tell your the only person in this thread that even used DOC and the word lyricist in the same sentence...If you read through this thread i said he can write his ass off and ill stand by that statement as hes penned many songs that we both know by heart im sure of it...your talking yourself into a corner just for the sake of arguing.

How am I talking myself into a corner? The DOC gets brought up as a great lyricist all the time, even if its not in this thread. You've been here at the dub for a long time so I can't believe you wouldn't have noticed.

lol you're the one who replied to my first comment about him not being a great lyricist so either you've changed your mind or you started arguing for nothing.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 09:26:58 PM »
I implore you to go back and show me where i said he was a lyricist, especially in the modern sence of the word...this guy has been on the scene with dre since 85 or some shit...AND he came out of texas, niggas was rapping HAT with CAT and shit like that back then. when you look at the progress doc is responsible for helping bring forth he deserves recognition for his song writing.

being a good song writer and a good lyricist is not the same thing.

fifty cent is a good song writer but not a great lyricist

keith murray is a good lyricist but not a great song writer.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
I implore you to go back and show me where i said he was a lyricist, especially in the modern sence of the word

Whoever said you did?

...this guy has been on the scene with dre since 85 or some shit...AND he came out of texas, niggas was rapping HAT with CAT and shit like that back then. when you look at the progress doc is responsible for helping bring forth he deserves recognition for his song writing.

No they weren't. You heard of Rakim, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, KRS-One, etc?

Plus DOC when he came out in the Fila Fresh Crew was nothing special. Go listen to I Hate to Go to Work and its basically a Fresh Prince ripoff. The nigga was rhyming CAT and BAT shit til his solo debut.

being a good song writer and a good lyricist is not the same thing.

fifty cent is a good song writer but not a great lyricist

No he's not. The guy can make good songs based on his charisma and hooks but there is nothing special about his lyrics. His songs become hits because of the beat, delivery, hooks, not the lyrics. If Eminem were ghostwriting for the nigga his shit would be even better.

song writer implies writing lyrics. How the fuck are you a good song writer if you can't write good lyrics?

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 11:23:47 PM »
these guys were coming up in the south fam, there was no internet and radio stations were far and few inbetween that played rap...these guys would be years behind there east coast counterparts as far as styles and fashion trends hence the term bammer...a bammer is a country dude thats behind the times ussuallly pictured with a jeri curl and a zoot suit or some shit like that...then run dmc fresh fest would post up and cats would start rocking the different styles and wearing fila jumpsuits and what not...im rambling. what im trying to say for him to come from the fila fresh crews shit and flip it into some hard shit that would end up influencing the whole rap game as well as personify a whole coast for over a decade you gotta tip your hat to that guy.

thats what good song writing is...themes, catchy hooks, ad libs and overall songs structure etc.

your looking for meaningful technical lyrics and shit on some backpacker see how many syllables i can flip in a bar simile dropping type of rapper and saying thats what good song writing is about and saying that being able to spit is equal to being able to write and you know your my boy rap but on that one your wrong.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 01:41:32 AM »
All DOC albums really flopped and dissapointed me. Hes supposed to be respected. IMO hes under average like RBX!
u got to be the only one on the planet that feels this way...but thats your opinion.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 02:04:47 AM »
these guys were coming up in the south fam, there was no internet and radio stations were far and few inbetween that played rap...these guys would be years behind there east coast counterparts as far as styles and fashion trends hence the term bammer...a bammer is a country dude thats behind the times ussuallly pictured with a jeri curl and a zoot suit or some shit like that...then run dmc fresh fest would post up and cats would start rocking the different styles and wearing fila jumpsuits and what not...im rambling. what im trying to say for him to come from the fila fresh crews shit and flip it into some hard shit that would end up influencing the whole rap game as well as personify a whole coast for over a decade you gotta tip your hat to that guy.

Tip your hat all you want, it still doesn't make him a great lyricist. You could go on and on about his contributions to the game, but its meaningless to anything I've been saying.

thats what good song writing is...themes, catchy hooks, ad libs and overall songs structure etc.

lmao no its really not. So according to you MC Hammer and Kris Kross are good song writers? Better than Nas or Common?

If you can't tell the difference in songwriting skill between NY State of Mind and Can't Touch This, or I Used to Love H.E.R. vs. Jump then something is very wrong with you.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 10:11:32 AM »
i wouldnt call them good song writers because...

1) they've never successfully written for other ppl

2) they didnt write there own songs

Jermaine Dupree did however pen the whole kris kross discography and as much as i hate that guy he is a good song writer with credentials to prove it...your on some hip hop elitist shit right now rap and it seems like your willing to flesh this argument out regardless of whether you lost about three posts ago just for the sake of arguing.

you can mix lyricism into your song writing and that will always be respectable but a song dont have to be complex to be well written.

/end thread