Author Topic: whats up with this D.O.C. album?  (Read 1536 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: whats up with this D.O.C. album?
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »
i wouldnt call them good song writers because...

1) they've never successfully written for other ppl

2) they didnt write there own songs

Jermaine Dupree did however pen the whole kris kross discography and as much as i hate that guy he is a good song writer with credentials to prove it...your on some hip hop elitist shit right now rap and it seems like your willing to flesh this argument out regardless of whether you lost about three posts ago just for the sake of arguing.

you can mix lyricism into your song writing and that will always be respectable but a song dont have to be complex to be well written.

/end thread

LMAO you fucked up bro. If you're calling Jump a better written song than I Used to Love H.E.R. all I can say is you lose. End thread.....smh at niggas trying to end arguments cuz they know they lost.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:00:02 AM by SPICE TWO »

Okka

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2011, 11:35:25 AM »
Thanks homie. +1

D-e-f-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2011, 12:03:38 PM »
i wouldnt call them good song writers because...

1) they've never successfully written for other ppl

2) they didnt write there own songs

Jermaine Dupree did however pen the whole kris kross discography and as much as i hate that guy he is a good song writer with credentials to prove it...your on some hip hop elitist shit right now rap and it seems like your willing to flesh this argument out regardless of whether you lost about three posts ago just for the sake of arguing.

you can mix lyricism into your song writing and that will always be respectable but a song dont have to be complex to be well written.

/end thread

LMAO you fucked up bro. If you're calling Jump a better written song than I Used to Love H.E.R. all I can say is you lose. End thread.....smh at niggas trying to end arguments cuz they know they lost.

there's a problem. you both have very different definitions of what "better" means. spice means more complex, of higher creative achievement and king petey means something along the lines of catchy, successfully capturing the attention of a wide audience.

spice, your reply makes it seem like he basically said Jump Jump is "doper" than I Used to Love H.E.R. (which any sane fan of Hip Hop music would disagree with, obviously).

another part of the problem is that none of these terms have been defined properly. usually people seem to associate the word "lyricist" with rappers like pharoahe monch, talib kweli, nas, crooked I, ras kass - rappers who rely heavily on complex rhyme patterns, metaphors, punch lines or unconventional concepts. rappers associated with the word "song writer" are people like 50 cent, snoop, pac and the like. I say usual because that's how I have seen these terms used during my time.

I also think during the time of 50's initial success, the distinction started to be made actually (or at least more often than before). People would talk about "this and this is an actual SONG" (usual implying a traditional adaption of the traditional model of popular music with two or three verses and chorus and bridge about a set topic which is easy to follow for the listener) vs. tracks on which rappers just "spit" (battle tracks, freestyle type songs).

So when people might say for example, that the song writing of Jump Jump by Kriss Kross or 21 Questions by 50 Cent is "better" than that of I Used to Love H.E.R. by Common or I Gave You Power by Nas, they tend to mean that the format of the former two is more accessible, easier to comprehend by the average listener and modeled after "traditional" songwriting in the vein of music that came before rap. When people give a track props for lyricism, like we usually do with the latter two songs, they praise it for its unique take on the concept, its unconventional approach which, by definition, goes against traditional patterns and thus limiting the appeal to a niche audience that is specifically interested in this style.

so you're both right in some regards. you just misunderstand each other (like it is with 95% of all arguments)

if you wanna argue about semantics, you have to reach common ground on the definition of those words you're arguing about.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »
im not saying that jermaine dupree is a more talented writer then common by any means, im saying hes more prolific and acheived, rap your pretty mean the pen too if i remember correctly so i know you know what im talking about when im talking about song structures and shit like that. the truth of it is Im a dj at heart and i guess when your playing music for ppl you become programmed to try and find the line between popular music and quality music because the pop sure as fuck dont equal quality...often its vice versa.

i love underground hip hop too but i dont go fanatic for it at all i aint ashamed to say alot of the artists i see you fawning over here and at dba i have no idea who they are but after taking a second to listen to them i might fuck with them a little bit i guess its a matter of taste and interpretation

samutahjazz

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »
you guys are fags. lol.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2011, 01:27:28 PM »
i gotta say this shit is getting out of controll lmao.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
im not saying that jermaine dupree is a more talented writer then common by any means, im saying hes more prolific and acheived

lmao so you're really not saying anything? Anyone can look at sales and popularity and say that. Why do you keep going on about shit that has nothing to do with what I've been saying? The nigga can produce for as many 12 year old kids as he want, it still doesn't say shit about skill as a lyricist unless the lyrical skill is there.

DOC is extremely overrated as a writer. How do you become a top tier lyricist by writing average lyrics for gangsta rappers?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:34:46 PM by SPICE TWO »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »
I mean goddamn there's a total disconnect between what I'm saying and what you're saying.

I say: The D.O.C. isn't a great lyricist

You say: The D.O.C. wrote N.W.A.'s shit and worked with Dre his whole career. He helped pioneer west coast gangsta rap.

So fucking what nigga? I ain't disagree with anything you just said. It doesn't have shit to do with anything I've said. Lol your just stating random statements about The D.O.C.'s career. Either give me a counterargument or bow down.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
I mean goddamn there's a total disconnect between what I'm saying and what you're saying.

I say: The D.O.C. isn't a great lyricist

You say: The D.O.C. wrote N.W.A.'s shit and worked with Dre his whole career. He helped pioneer west coast gangsta rap.

So fucking what nigga? I ain't disagree with anything you just said. It doesn't have shit to do with anything I've said. Lol your just stating random statements about The D.O.C.'s career. Either give me a counterargument or bow down.

double post = u mad...its just convo fam lol

basically i said he could write you went off on a tangent about lyrics and we crossed signals.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »
when Petey breaks out the meme generator he's mad  :D

I made an observation about The DOC and you caught feelings and started to defend your hero. Except you really had nothing to say so you brought up unrelated factoids about his career. Thanks for the history lesson, Johnny Cochran.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2011, 04:20:36 PM »
okay rap youve won. you are an internet gladiator and your hip hop opinions are not to be tampered with or questioned. I sincerely apologize for making a thread like this that has offended your imperial musical sensibilities.

i am in no position to challange the opinions of such a well spoken and cultured hip hop scholar as yourself and will try my best to make sure this never happens again.

back on topic...

this is a decent lil collection but like most of his post accident projects i cant listen to too much of his voice....it hurts when rap.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »
nuthing wrong with arguing, as long as you bring up something relevant

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
lol sorry fam im not like cham i dont thrive on that shit...i like a well spirited argument as much as the next bloke but more then anything here i just interpreted that you took me saying that he could write as saying that he was a highly skilled technical rapper and thats not the case...

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2011, 11:16:38 PM »
bow down and kiss the ring  :pimp:

NoobCake

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2011, 12:07:47 AM »
when Petey breaks out the meme generator he's mad  :D

I made an observation about The DOC and you caught feelings and started to defend your hero. Except you really had nothing to say so you brought up unrelated factoids about his career. Thanks for the history lesson, Johnny Cochran.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense

Are really the one to talk about catching feelings?  How much does that asshole still hurt?

BTW, any new irrelevant broke Bay Area rappers i should know about?