Author Topic: Snoop Dogg Sells 50K First Week  (Read 2382 times)

Will_B

Re: Snoop Dogg Sells 50K First Week
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »
you said people don't wanna pay for music, that's not true.
[/quote]

It's a part of the 'fans' culture now.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »
First of all, a lot of people predicted 50k-60k in the predictions thread, so it's funny that when the prediction comes true, people get mad at that. :D

Second, the album was better than the last two, but still in the bottom third in terms of quality of all of Snoop's albums.

Third, he does need guidance.  When he's on his own, Snoop tends toward that "everything and the kitchen sink" mentality of making one song for every crowd and therefore satisfying no one.  Said it before, and I'll say it again.  On his solo albums, Snoop needs to pick a particular sound and go for it.  Like it or hate it, on R&G, The Neptunes helped Snoop create a 20-something song tapestry of a particular sound, and it made it a complete album from an artistic point of view.  Lately, and on his own, Snoop doesn't pick a sound to develop and expound upon.  It's just thrown together randomness that makes for a bad listening experience over 70 mins.

Now what's my point?  Answer: If Snoop were to take his time, have a vision for his album, and try to make an artistic statement worth my money, I might PAY to listen to that.  I bought Ego Trippin without previewing it beforehand, and that was a mistake.  I previewed Malice and Doggumentary, heard that they were more of the "everything and the kitchen sink" unfocused Snoop, and saved my money.  If Snoop wants to sell again, he needs to get focused.

You know, another byproduct of focusing on a particular sound and making a coherent artisitic statement is that it will reach a particular audience that will support it.  Sure, it might not reach mass appeal that way, but it will surely find at least a nich audience that appreciates what Snoop did with that album.  Now, with albums like Malice and Doggumentary, what kind of audience can really say they were fully satisfied by it?  Answer: no one.  It didn't reach the pop crowd because it had disappointing singles.  It didn't reach the street crowd because even the street songs were watered down because Snoop has to protect his feel-good brand image these days.  It didn't reach the long-time fans like myself, because there were only a few songs catered for me (Take You Home, This Weed is Mine, etc.).

Basically, I look at Doggumentary and, yeah, it's no wonder it only sold 50k.  You can blame the Internet, and yeah, I used the Internet to preview the album and decided not to purchase.  But you know what?  Had there been no Internet previews, I still wouldn't have bought it because the singles weren't appealing to me.  Ultimately, if you make a quality album, it will reach an audience that appreciates that quality, all other variables being equal (which they should be, because Snoop is a big name; it's not as if he should struggle to get the word out that he has a new album dropping like a lot of unknown artists have trouble with).

Snoop, you want to sell again?  Then please, PLEASE make a real album again!
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

B.A.

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2011, 11:16:28 AM »
Snoop needs to take his time and actually put some work into his next album.  Doggumentary sounds like it should have been a mixtape.

Snoop's been riding off the popularity of his name for a long time now and his music's been getting weaker and weaker. A lot of people have bought his albums expecting him to finally put out another dope album and I don't mean another Doggystyle; he put out a few good albums after Doggystyle so it's not like that's the only good album he ever made. It seems like after he left No Limit and started to have more control over his music he lost direction and focus and his albums started to sound like mixtape/compilations instead of cohesive albums where the songs have a purpose and fit the overall feel of the album and aren't just thrown in because Snoop can do that. Eventually people are just going to stop caring and stop wasting money on his albums if he doesn't make them worth it. I'll still buy a Snoop album but only because I want it for my collection (and for $7.99 at Best Buy it's just a little bit more than buying a used cd so it's all good), I don't buy a Snoop record because I think it's going to be be tight or because the leaks that come out before the album drops are dope; I listened to Doggumentary for one day then put it away and I'm in no hurry to listen to it again. Yeah the internet and free downloading has had a big impact on record sales but Snoops lack of quality is also part of the reason why someone might want to download his album for free instead of buying it (and that goes for anyone else who's slippin' quality wise). He needs to put some work/thought in and release a real quality album while people are still interested because if Snoop wasn't as popular as he is he would have fell off along time ago with the type of music he's been putting out over the last several years.
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

The Ultimate Pianist

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2011, 11:28:17 AM »
Been banging this album since it came out, shit is a banger, that's what counts

This. I dont really look at the numbers anymore. As long as the artists give me something i can bump it's all good.

B.A.

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »
You know, another byproduct of focusing on a particular sound and making a coherent artisitic statement is that it will reach a particular audience that will support it.  Sure, it might not reach mass appeal that way, but it will surely find at least a nich audience that appreciates what Snoop did with that album.  Now, with albums like Malice and Doggumentary, what kind of audience can really say they were fully satisfied by it?  Answer: no one.  It didn't reach the pop crowd because it had disappointing singles.  It didn't reach the street crowd because even the street songs were watered down because Snoop has to protect his feel-good brand image these days.  It didn't reach the long-time fans like myself, because there were only a few songs catered for me (Take You Home, This Weed is Mine, etc.).

Snoop, you want to sell again?  Then please, PLEASE make a real album again!
+1

That's what I don't understand. I buy albums sometimes that for the most part the songs are on point but then they throw in a few songs that don't fit the album at all, they are not aimed at the fan base that is actually buying the album and those songs are not getting videos or radio play so I always wonder why the hell they're on the album. For example the last Dogg Pound album 100 Wayz, for the most part the album was bangin but then they threw in a couple of south sounding songs that stuck out like a sore thumb. Those songs didn't get radio play or videos so it's not like they were being used to get sales outside of they're core fan base. No south fans are waiting for Dogg Pound to release a new album to give them that south shit that they want and no long time west coast DPG fans are buying their album to here them take a stab at immitating the souths sound, so what's the point; imo it just kept the album from being a near classic. I get flipping your sound so that you'll fit in with what's currently getting played on the radio or to get on the video count down, I don't like it but I understand that if you're trying to promote your album sometimes you might have to do that to be seen or heard but if those song aren't doing that for you then all they're doing is hurting the over all playability of the album and isnt fully pleasing anyone.
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

woof

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2011, 01:26:39 PM »
good album / bad singles

awol22222

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2011, 01:57:02 PM »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »
Em, Jay-Z, Wayne, Kanye etc are all going platinum.

All pop rap artists.

Nothing decent is selling though.. :pimp:

So is Snoop.

Not in the same way. Snoops a rapper who also does pop/dance/country/soul whatever..and acts..does the lot.

Dudes like Wayne and Kanye dont make street music..that nuts in yo mouth, fuck a bitch shit.

Wtf is street music? You clearly have no idea what pop means. You seriously think Ye's music is more pop than Snoop's? Ye's coming out with shit that sounds like nothing else in the mainstream. Snoop is making strip club anthems.

And yes Wayne does to nuts in yo mouth, fuck a bitch shit. You're out of touch with street music cuz niggas in the street are bumping weezy not snoop. Snoop is being bumped by wiggers in Europe.

Will_B

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »
Snoop is being bumped by wiggers in Europe.

End thread ::)

Guess you don't know any other way to get a point across ;D

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2011, 02:11:40 PM »
Snoop is being bumped by wiggers in Europe.

End thread ::)

Guess you don't know any other way to get a point across ;D

if it ain't the truth let god strike me down.

Do not be talking to me of "street music" when comparing Snoop and Weezy cuz I know what the niggaz in my town are bumping. And it sure as fuck ain't Snoop. Do I like weezy? Fuck no. But that's how it is.

awol22222

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2011, 02:53:20 AM »
actually everybody fucks with Snoop Dogg, he just strays away from that GFunk sound and it isn't appealing.  Like niggaz fuck wit Snoop Dogg, do they play his music more than Lil' Wayne's music... No, but at tha same time Lil' Wayne is probably/arguably the biggest Entertainer on Earth right now next to the usual white folk... why... becuz everybody knows who Lil' Wayne is that's why.  Like how many people do u know who don't know who Lil' Wayne is, you'd be surprised at how popular dude is (doesn't mean everybody likes him or his music tho, i do). 

As far as Snoop, i think Snoop Dogg had to make a sacrifice and there were a whole plethora of reasons why.  His problem was is that he never had that GFunk Whistle in his music and he tried to go a little "too pop" at times (i can kinda figure out all of his reasons why on each occasion tho).  If he had that GFunk Whistle in his music (or more of it) then he wouldn't have suffered so much as far as keeping the young niggaz on deck (but it's not like we were never fuckin' wit' Snoop anyway, i'm 22). 

When you hear that new Daz track "No Hand Outs or Favors" it reminds you of the shit they should've been on for years or at least gave us more of rather than trying to be different... they created it so why they tried to get away from it i'll never understand (there must've been a backroom deal with the lord above or something becuz that's all i can think of... rap poisons your mind lol). 

People were looking to Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre and Tha Dogg Pound and Warren G to evolve/expand the GFunk sound and they never did, they just kept it that cliche' 2001-Dr. Dre sound or they tried to keep up with the times instead of just a balance of both with the GFunk being the skeleton to their album (uknowwatimsayin).  EVERYBODY KNOWS that's what they sound the best on and it's clearly obvious thruout the years and generations that's all people wanna hear from them. 

Tha Doggumentary was cool but there was too much Bootsy Collins Funk on it (Snoopy Collins i guess) not enough Ghetto Funk on tha album (not Gangsta Funk but Ghetto Funk, the 'G' has more than 1 meaning).  Whoever told them to stray far from the GFunk gave them some bad advice, I mean as an artist I know how he feels about being boxed in with creativity but you can't just go away from what made you who you are today, people are gonna resist it. 

Bottom line is everybody fucks with Snoop Dogg when he's not on that Bootzilla or Pop shit and when he's not spitting verses like he did on "All I Do Is Win" and definitely not making those corny adlibs; oh yeah and definitely not sounding monotone.  Snoop Dogg just isn't really relevant to the youth as far as albums go, niggaz would rather him do that GFunk or just stick to features.

u Euro's do have some flavor tho...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/VhXK74DY4DU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/VhXK74DY4DU</a>

but this is my shit right now tho
<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/isZq87L79ng" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/isZq87L79ng</a> - arguably the best track on the album.  i hated Bootsy's verse at tha end but whatever, it's fuckin' Bootsy Collins lol

Greenbrigade

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2011, 05:07:54 AM »
Why do sales even matter to fans, i couldnt give a fuck what they sell as long as the musics good. And Og Will snoops a major pop star

Will_B

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2011, 05:27:09 AM »
Why do sales even matter to fans, i couldnt give a fuck what they sell as long as the musics good. And Og Will snoops a major pop star

Sure he is, but I'm saying he ain't Drake or some shit like that.
Snoop still makes the music that the pop industry would rather he didn't...

Greenbrigade

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2011, 05:38:26 AM »

Sure he is, but I'm saying he ain't Drake or some shit like that.
Snoop still makes the music that the pop industry would rather he didn't...
Like wet, Boom, platinum, the weed is mine, i wanna rock, sexual eruption, california girls ect.