Author Topic: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)  (Read 26777 times)

dameons

Re: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
This album fucking sucks .This seriously sounds worse than the Fixxers stuff , but similar in style to it . This shit is SOFT AS FUCK . Quik really needs to retire or go back to his roots . His flow on the mic is even getting worse . Even the Cube track is gay . This will be the last time I even bother  with him .All these songs are either aimed at the ladies , or have weak ass R and B choruses ...Not even 2 tracks on here that resemble the classic Quik .

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2011, 01:15:47 PM »
i am the only one here who thinks Babylone is dope?

no wack track on The Book Of David!

Killer Dope is my shit!! the beat is so dope!!! luv it!

I'm with yoy Snoopaveli, Babylon is dope as hell, great track, maybe i'm a little biased because i'm a Bizzy's fan. On the other hand, i'm not feeling Hydromatic, sounds boring to me.

cool
me too i'm a Bizzy Bone Fan

8)

V2DHeart

« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »
Where's the best place to purchase from the UK?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2011, 01:43:39 PM »
This album has dope beats but boring arrangements, and the vocals were clearly an afterthought when putting this project together.  Let's keep it real: Quik should try releasing a 50 min instrumental album and let people just use their imagination or they can do their own freestyles to it or whatever.  On a lot of the tracks, the vocals distract from the beats and make the songs more boring than they would be otherwise.  Again, the arrangements are very simple and plain, as if Quik made dope skeleton beats and left them as that instead of developing them further AFTER laying down the vocals.  Quik said he did this whole album in a few months, and it shows.  A lot of it sounds half-baked.  Quik is a talented enough musician to craft dope beats like these in a short amount of time, but I wish he would have spent six more months on post-production to flesh each song out a lot further.

Overall, I'd say if this were a first draft, I'd give it an A, but since this is this final draft, so to speak, I have to give it a C.  Dope beats + lackluster everything else (including the other production elements) = average, just imo.  And "C" means "average" in the American school system  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:45:24 PM by Detox Is A Myth!!! »
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

LDV

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »
This album fucking sucks .This seriously sounds worse than the Fixxers stuff , but similar in style to it . This shit is SOFT AS FUCK . Quik really needs to retire or go back to his roots . His flow on the mic is even getting worse . Even the Cube track is gay . This will be the last time I even bother  with him .All these songs are either aimed at the ladies , or have weak ass R and B choruses ...Not even 2 tracks on here that resemble the classic Quik .

Dude you must be new to Quik. Most of his stuff is ''soft''. Most of the time Quik uses R&B choruses and all his songs are R&B/Jazz/Soul influenced. Not even 2 tracks that resemble the classic Quik? I think you need to delete the album and go listen to some Slaughterhouse or Eminem. This is some grown up music. Not for the angry gangsta rap kids...

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
Where's the best place to purchase from the UK?

Amazon.com not co.uk , thats where i get all my westcoast cds.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

West$ide Boi

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • 'Women, Weed & Weather'
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2011, 01:56:25 PM »

Dude you must be new to Quik. Most of his stuff is ''soft''. Most of the time Quik uses R&B choruses and all his songs are R&B/Jazz/Soul influenced. Not even 2 tracks that resemble the classic Quik? I think you need to delete the album and go listen to some Slaughterhouse or Eminem. This is some grown up music. Not for the angry gangsta rap kids...
lol you're right

Matty

« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2011, 02:22:56 PM »

biggbarcc

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »
If folks say this album sucks, than I dont know what they would call Ice Cube's last album??? or the two Detox singles...

Quik's never had that hardcore gangsta sound... I cant believe dudes say this is soft and what else.

dameons

« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »
" New to Quik " ??? Fuck , son .I have ALL of his shit , even the Menace to Society soundtrack . He had a trademark sound that earned him major fanfare with his first 3 albums , and then he claimed he wasn't a gangster  anymore , and he became soft as fuck .His first 2 albums had zero R and B , and tracks like "Dollaz and Sense " made him a legend . He used to use lots of samples with scratching in the chorus ( Born and Raised ) , nowadays his beats suck and his flow sucks ."  John Doe " was his last great piece of work .The Fixxers , BlaQKout, and this new album aren't even rap music , just plain weak .  I know that the sound he started with is dated , but this shit just sounds generic . He has lost 80 % of his  original fans because he is doing shit like Dre did when he claimed he wasn't doing gangster shit anymore like on that bullshit Aftermath Compilation . Cube's last album sucked as well . I bet W.C 's new shits outsells Quik 's because W.C kept it real and is putting out quality  music .

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »
can't wait to listen to this album, but 1st and foremost I have to check out the Bizzy Bone track. Not to take anything away from the album but I been waiting to hear this in full CDQ. After I hear that track I can respectfully listen to the album. 8)

FOR ALL YOU DUMB FUCKS THAT JUST SIT AROUND AND SKIM THREW THE ALBUM....STFU ! YOU NEED A NEW HOBBY !....
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!

Spoonie Luv

« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »
" New to Quik " ??? Fuck , son .I have ALL of his shit , even the Menace to Society soundtrack . He had a trademark sound that earned him major fanfare with his first 3 albums , and then he claimed he wasn't a gangster  anymore , and he became soft as fuck .His first 2 albums had zero R and B , and tracks like "Dollaz and Sense " made him a legend . He used to use lots of samples with scratching in the chorus ( Born and Raised ) , nowadays his beats suck and his flow sucks ."  John Doe " was his last great piece of work .The Fixxers , BlaQKout, and this new album aren't even rap music , just plain weak .  I know that the sound he started with is dated , but this shit just sounds generic . He has lost 80 % of his  original fans because he is doing shit like Dre did when he claimed he wasn't doing gangster shit anymore like on that bullshit Aftermath Compilation . Cube's last album sucked as well . I bet W.C 's new shits outsells Quik 's because W.C kept it real and is putting out quality  music .

what are you listening to thats so relevent and consider a classic?
what was the last album you cinsider a classic? and please stay westcoast as this is a westcoast forum. i dont fuck with that new bubblegum hip hop top 40 shit!

that goes for anybody hating on this album? what have you heard thats better than this from 2011 so far or even 2010 for that matter?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:37:33 PM by 187_skillz »
Spoonie Luv From Up Above

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2011, 03:42:18 PM »
the album grows on me. bumpin it whole day.. on my 5th spin
its great! :)  "hydromatic" is my shit.. and "Nobody"

((some horrible crap on it too, like "poppin" - amatuerish production

overall
6.5/10 (BBQ/mood-music album)

Hmm 6.5/10 is actually a disappointing mark in school if your looking for "great"...  Your saying a C ??

music-board tho, not school

6.5 is a great rating in my book.
and i never gave an album a 10 ever ever..

LDV

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
" New to Quik " ??? Fuck , son .I have ALL of his shit , even the Menace to Society soundtrack . He had a trademark sound that earned him major fanfare with his first 3 albums , and then he claimed he wasn't a gangster  anymore , and he became soft as fuck .His first 2 albums had zero R and B , and tracks like "Dollaz and Sense " made him a legend . He used to use lots of samples with scratching in the chorus ( Born and Raised ) , nowadays his beats suck and his flow sucks ."  John Doe " was his last great piece of work .The Fixxers , BlaQKout, and this new album aren't even rap music , just plain weak .  I know that the sound he started with is dated , but this shit just sounds generic . He has lost 80 % of his  original fans because he is doing shit like Dre did when he claimed he wasn't doing gangster shit anymore like on that bullshit Aftermath Compilation . Cube's last album sucked as well . I bet W.C 's new shits outsells Quik 's because W.C kept it real and is putting out quality  music .

Quik never claimed that he was a gangster till 1995. And that was just a phase being involved with the Row. His first 2 albums were party records! That's was the difference between him and other West Coast cats back in the day. In 1995 he changed his style a bit because of Death Row being involved and the MC Eiht bullshit. Dollaz + Sense didn't make him a legend. He became a legend by releasing dope albums every few years. With that track Quik showed the world that he could make gangster rap. And where did Quik lost his so called 80% of his fanbase? Then you know and talk to a lot of people lol. The Quik fans I have spoken all love this record. And I mean real fans who appreciate real music. And why are you talking about WC and Ice Cube? This is about DJ Quik and your post. But I don't want to argue with you. I can't win it because you don't know what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:49:00 PM by LDV »

Jcnn13

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
hey i gotta question

Im pretty sure I heard Quik drop Pharrell's name in the last track, "The End".  What's this all about?

The line:

"Pharrell ask me why I gangbang/That aint your fuckin business, stay out my lane man"