Author Topic: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)  (Read 26773 times)

The_Ripper

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2011, 10:48:22 PM »
This album fucking sucks .This seriously sounds worse than the Fixxers stuff , but similar in style to it . This shit is SOFT AS FUCK . Quik really needs to retire or go back to his roots . His flow on the mic is even getting worse . Even the Cube track is gay . This will be the last time I even bother  with him .All these songs are either aimed at the ladies , or have weak ass R and B choruses ...Not even 2 tracks on here that resemble the classic Quik .

You're a fucking idiot. Judging by your karma, you are a straight hater. What music do you like? It's obviously not rap. This album is solid as fuck. Go sit on a cock you faggot bitch. Go rub one out & choke yourself to your hair metal music......

Stanning ain't easy, but somebody's got to do it.

go listen to drake and STFU

Are drake's albums as rushed and underproduced as Quik's are?

:sign_withstupid:
If you get in a fight, and somebody yells “worldstar”. You better fight for your life.

WCoastTillIDie

« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
I haven't heard this album yet but I agree with dude who said Quik changed his style.  I became a fan of his after listening to "Quik is The Name".  Loved "Way 2 Fonky" and "Safe & Sound".  After that though, it all went down hill for me.  A few songs here and there were dope but overall I was disappointed in his direction.  I'll give this one a shot and see how this record is though.

didn't even like rhytmalism?

Stan

« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2011, 12:03:03 AM »
Pretty inconsistent reviews ... 1/5 to 5/5 people saying this is the best shit ever.  I'd be interested in what professionals review this.  Anyone know the Source, XXL, or any other magazine for that matter?  For me I'm still about 3/5.   

awol22222

« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2011, 12:06:19 AM »
Pretty inconsistent reviews ... 1/5 to 5/5 people saying this is the best shit ever.  I'd be interested in what professionals review this.  Anyone know the Source, XXL, or any other magazine for that matter?  For me I'm still about 3/5.   
http://www.spin.com/reviews/dj-quik-book-david-mad-sciencefontana

The_Ripper

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2011, 12:18:11 AM »

can't you judge by yourself ?  ::)
If you get in a fight, and somebody yells “worldstar”. You better fight for your life.

MissM

• Lil Geezy
  • Songs that dont get on the album,always nice WHY!
« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2011, 01:48:05 AM »
This album has dope beats but boring arrangements, and the vocals were clearly an afterthought when putting this project together.  Let's keep it real: Quik should try releasing a 50 min instrumental album and let people just use their imagination or they can do their own freestyles to it or whatever.  On a lot of the tracks, the vocals distract from the beats and make the songs more boring than they would be otherwise.  Again, the arrangements are very simple and plain, as if Quik made dope skeleton beats and left them as that instead of developing them further AFTER laying down the vocals.  Quik said he did this whole album in a few months, and it shows.  A lot of it sounds half-baked.  Quik is a talented enough musician to craft dope beats like these in a short amount of time, but I wish he would have spent six more months on post-production to flesh each song out a lot further.

Overall, I'd say if this were a first draft, I'd give it an A, but since this is this final draft, so to speak, I have to give it a C.  Dope beats + lackluster everything else (including the other production elements) = average, just imo.  And "C" means "average" in the American school system  ;D

excactly,like i said in my post earlier,it needs production,review,flow.he has done it 4 others,why not now on his own album,he had good stuff to work with but didnt finished all the way.first draf yes.

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #186 on: April 17, 2011, 02:13:02 AM »

can't you judge by yourself ?  ::)

can't you understand he is simply curious about that? I'm curious too... and it's a 3/5 album for me too

evan the dude

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Alaskan Connection
« Reply #187 on: April 17, 2011, 02:35:50 AM »
This album fucking sucks .This seriously sounds worse than the Fixxers stuff , but similar in style to it . This shit is SOFT AS FUCK . Quik really needs to retire or go back to his roots . His flow on the mic is even getting worse . Even the Cube track is gay . This will be the last time I even bother  with him .All these songs are either aimed at the ladies , or have weak ass R and B choruses ...Not even 2 tracks on here that resemble the classic Quik .

You're a fucking idiot. Judging by your karma, you are a straight hater. What music do you like? It's obviously not rap. This album is solid as fuck. Go sit on a cock you faggot bitch. Go rub one out & choke yourself to your hair metal music......

Stanning ain't easy, but somebody's got to do it.

What's up "Noob". Why don't you contribute something worth saying and take the cock out of your mouth. Faggot...... Have fun choking on dick....

Get the dubcnn "california love" wallpaper here!!

Escrooge

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2011, 03:24:23 AM »
Anyone catch the censored line in the third verse of "Killer Dope"?  At 3:25, it goes:

"I ain't no house nigga like ________, if this if UAC music what makes it so aweful?"

Anyone know who he was talking about in that line?

I heard that too....Quik always throwing some shots at somebody...coulda been AMG
Everybody is wondering what Barack is going to do for us for the next 8 years, what are you going to do for yourself the next 8 years?

Portugoal

« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2011, 03:32:05 AM »
Is the remix of Boogie Til You Conk Out only available on that mixtape? I'd like to hear a version of that remix without the Quik outro.

Eddz

« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2011, 03:53:49 AM »
I ordered my copy from Amazon & waiting until it arrives before I listen to it

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2011, 04:02:04 AM »
why people mad?

evan the dude

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Alaskan Connection
« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2011, 04:27:01 AM »
why people mad?

Amen. This is one of the best releases on the West Coast since...shit I don't know. Game? At any rate, this album delivers.

Get the dubcnn "california love" wallpaper here!!

Mietek23

« Reply #193 on: April 17, 2011, 04:38:21 AM »
Gave this album a few spins yesterday and I must say I'm hella impressed 8)

Def one of the best West Coast releases in the last 3 years and as far as Quik discography goes - it's up there with "Under Tha Influence" and def better than "Trauma". It has that vintage Quik shit mixed with a new "Blaqkout" type of sound. But from a musical stand point, it's really a great project. Only track I can't put myself into is "Poppin" - I don't have nothing against minimalistic production as I liked "9x Outta 10" a lot but this one is just ain't my cup. The rest is good, great and bangin'. Best tracks for me are "Nobody", "So Compton", "Do Today", "Boogie Till You Conk Out" and "Flow For Sale". Overall, great album for today's standards - def going to cop it 8)

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2011, 05:33:32 AM »
I've heard the album & its a good album.  I'd rate it up there with rhythm-a-lism & balance & options for good dj quik albums.  Only songs that weren't good were no.1 fire & brimstone & no.10 across the map.  I hope I can get this album.