Author Topic: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)  (Read 26774 times)

YSH

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • hi
Re: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #195 on: April 17, 2011, 05:38:45 AM »
GREAT THING ABOUT DJ QUIK MUSIC IS THAT IT ALWAYS GROWS IN YOU ...
AND THE BETTERE QUALITY LISTENING DEVICE U USE THE BETTER THE MUSIC IS.....

CUZ THERES SO MANY SOUNDS IN THE SONG.., THNX QUIK

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2011, 05:39:47 AM »
why people mad?

Amen. This is one of the best releases on the West Coast since...shit I don't know. Game? At any rate, this album delivers.

oh pleze  ::) just fuckin blow me already... i'm ready boo, all u gotta do is suck it

THETRUTHUG

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2011, 05:46:50 AM »
as a huge quik, im kinda dissapointed.. i don´t know but the sound doesnt fit the time, i liked where quik was going with the trauma and blaqkout sound.. this sounds like he tried to do rhytmalism in 2011.

for me its an 3.5/5 album

i´m just missing some stand out beats, like ladies und thugs, till jesus comes, or cream n your panties, and blaqkout stuff

most beats are average on this one, and i´m sure that most quik fans who are celbrating this album wouldnt call that album excellent when there was an other name on the disc  8)

TRG

« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2011, 06:00:11 AM »
Dope album from Quik, a little over-hyped on here though ..

Tracks that stood out:

Fire & Brimstone
Do Today
Ghetto Rendezvous
Killer Dope
Hydromatic
Nobody
So Compton
Groove

YSH

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • hi
« Reply #199 on: April 17, 2011, 06:22:16 AM »
this def not the best quik album

this mo like a compilation

it doesnt have that...ALBUM sound.. . that theme.....

guess dats why its called BOOK OF DAVID

papa-smurf

« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2011, 06:39:06 AM »
Classic album.not just the best album of the year but This one of the top 5 hip hop albums 2 ever be released.the people that's giveing it bad feedbacks is just his sisters & all the people he dissed & a few haters he ddnt give a autograph 2 etc.its not that they don't like album becuz its classic.they just don't like quik personally.

sicaluffa

« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2011, 07:01:03 AM »
I give this album a 4/5.  And for the people who say Quik changed his style, well almost all his albums have a different feel to them.  His albums have changed as he's grown.  You can't do straight gangsta shit forever, and it's not like Quik ain't angry on this album.  He's sounds pretty pissed off and emotional on a lot of the album.  I love it when he does that.  I have a feeling this album will eventually reach a 5/5 status, definite grower.  People just need to let the album soak in.  To those people that say the album sucks, go listen to some new garbage gangsta rap, or the crap that's on the radio.  This album is for mature people who like real music. 

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2011, 09:35:59 AM »
I give this album a 4/5.  And for the people who say Quik changed his style, well almost all his albums have a different feel to them.  His albums have changed as he's grown.  You can't do straight gangsta shit forever, and it's not like Quik ain't angry on this album.  He's sounds pretty pissed off and emotional on a lot of the album.  I love it when he does that.  I have a feeling this album will eventually reach a 5/5 status, definite grower.  People just need to let the album soak in.  To those people that say the album sucks, go listen to some new garbage gangsta rap, or the crap that's on the radio.  This album is for mature people who like real music. 

excellent post

to me this is one of the best releases the westcoast has seen in years, but u guys havent seen much lol

Smoke

« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2011, 09:49:49 AM »
i love this album from 4 days
i like the style of Quik in this album and all the songs, except maybe for Babylon

his style is always fresh and it's a trademark for Quik's music
i will buy it fosure

gfunkin2

« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »
After a few spins, I'll just say this is a solid album. 3.5/5.

Realistically, there are no mindblowing beats on here. Some good ones: Fire and Brimstone, Killer Dope...

But since Trauma, I haven't heard a Quik production that was straight fire. That I could listen to for years and still discover something new (see Safe & Sound, We Still Party, Well, etc).

Fresher Than Me was probably that song, but it's not here. Lyrics seem more like that vintage Quik too.

Matty

« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »
Pretty inconsistent reviews ... 1/5 to 5/5 people saying this is the best shit ever.  I'd be interested in what professionals review this.  Anyone know the Source, XXL, or any other magazine for that matter?  For me I'm still about 3/5.  

word, there is a real variety of feedback in here, trolls aside. all types of stuff from terrible to classic, to quik changed his sound too much, didn't change it enough. i'm surprised that anyone who didn't enjoy rhythamalism and the albums since then (this is quik's sound IMO) would expect to be feeling it. also quite a bit discrepancy over whether it's better than trauma or not. for me, trauma is one of those albums that got less interesting over time and didn't seem to have the replay value of B&O, rhythamalism and even UTI. i think the way quik described it recently as being a more barebones album musically, that goes a long way to explaning why it's replay value has decreased.

will definitely give some proper feedback/a review on the whole thing over the next couple of weeks, after the disc arrives and i've given it a lot more spins.

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #206 on: April 17, 2011, 02:19:04 PM »
I love like this album. It's tight!

B.A.

« Reply #207 on: April 17, 2011, 02:39:35 PM »
4/5

Quik is my favorite musician so I've been looking forward to this album. Overall, it's dope but a couple of songs could have been left out completely, a couple of others replaced with the other version of them that we've already heard and a few song could have benefited by being a little longer. But there are a lot of great song on here so it's hard to knock the entire album for the it's flaws.

1. Fire and Brimstone - Something about the drums just don't sit right with me, it's like I can't bob my head to it, it's just off. An alright song though, Quik could have picked a better song to open the album with, I think G-Shit (without all the talking at the end and before the beat changes up) could have worked as an into.

2. Do Today - Nice song, great production, I would have prefered it to be on a Jon B album and not a DJ Quik album as it's a little to R&B for my taste but is a good song.

3. Ghetto Rendezvous - Another great pissed off Quik track. Beat is a little simple and repetative, not a whole lot going on with it but it works. Quik's going off on this one, sucks that he has to go through all that crazy shit but it makes for an interesting song.

4. Luv of My Life - Classic, smooth but funky Quik track right here! Dope beat, gets the noggin' bobbin' fo sho. Great hook.

5. Babylon - Out of place, even if it was on a Bizzy Bone album it still wouldn't be a great track, the song doesn't sound right for Quik or Bizzy. it's decent I guess but it's definitaly not for me. It bumps in the hooptie though, that's a possitive thing. Should have been left off.

6. Killer Dope - This is a very, very good song; not the typical Quik production but it's damn good. He has some funny lines on here and a classic one about Eazy-E (it's the truth!). Love Quik's flow on this track, great hook. Classic.

7. Real Women - I really appreciate those classic Quik scratches on the hook (wish Quik had more of it on this album, can't get enough of that shit). Very smooth but not too R&B-ish, it still fits in with the rest of the album. Nice song over all.

8. Poppin' - Alright song but the beat and the hook kind of gave me the feeling that 100% wasn't put into the overall production. Would have like to have heard the verses over a different beat with a different hook. As it is, it could have been left off or replaced with something dope and it wouldn't have mattered to me. It is what it is. Next!!!!....

9. Hydromatic - Another banger! Not sure how I feel about throwing Gift in on the begining of the song, seemed like an after thought after the original version was already done. Still prefer the original version, I would rather hear DJ Quik rapping instead of Gift, but it seems like he was trying to show off Gift and Jon more than get down himself; Quik still should have had another verse though as the song is a little too short, just under three minutes. A dope song either way.

10. Across the Map - Much better use of Bizzy on this one (Bizzy featuring on this song was enough, no need for Babylon; shit he featured more on Quik's album then he does on Bone albums ;D) and Bun B sounds tight as well on this track. It has a little of that south-ish sound to it but not too much to were it didn't fit in with the rest of the album. And Rodney-O speaking at the end was dope, O.G. West Coast right there. Short, under three minutes.

11. Nobody - Classic DJ Quik! As soon as the beat drops, before any words are spoken it's already dope! This is what I expect from Quik. Quik and Suga Free need to do a whole album together and stop bullshittin' already. Both are on point here and hook is catchy as fuck.

12. Boogie Till You Conk Out - Too soft, specially with Cube on it, they should have gone harder at it. The Remix should have been on the album instead.

13. Flow For Sale - Classic laid back Quik track, reminds me of his Rhythmalism sound. Kurupt came though a little better than average, at least he's not rhyming bitch with bitch and shit with shit and ending it with eata dick. Overall a very good song, classic Quik guitar in full effect but short, again under three minutes.   

14. So Compton - Another song reminisent of Quik's Rhythmalism / Balace & Options days with that guitar in there again. Great track.   

15. Time Stands Still - Sounds too much like R. Kelly's "Strip For You" off of his TP2.com, again just way to soft. It would be cool if it was on some R&B singers album and Quik was just featuring on it but it shouldn't be on here.

16. The End? - Some funky shit going on here fo sho with that "street level" into, reminds me of the "Street Level Entrance" off of Safe + Sound which is still my favorite DJ Quik album. The actual song is dope, a real smooth gangsta vibe to it but it was too short clocking in at just under three minutes. Great song.

Quik's Groove comes up some 4 minutes after the end of "The End?". Great instrumental, I wish Quik would have it at the end as a bunus track with it's own track number so it's easier to get to instead of having to skip through over four minutes of nothing; but lets just be happy we got another Quik's Groove.
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

IbblesAndBits

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #208 on: April 17, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »
1. Fire & Brimstone - Incredible album opener! I love the way Quik starts the song out, dope beat and dope lyrics. Sounds pissed off.

2. Do Today - Classic smooth Quik production. Lyrics are about partying and enjoying life. This is my second favorite song on the album.

3. Ghetto Rendezvous - Worst song on the album. Beat is dope but gets repetitive and it's not cool to air so much personal shit out there in my opinion, once again he's pissed but I don't enjoy it this time. Should've been replaced with "Fresher Than Me".

4. Luv of My Life - Fuckin fire! Dope ass mellow beat, lyrics are Quik talking about all the material shit he loves. Sounds REALLY good in the ride.

5. Babylon - I don't see what people don't like about this song, I love it. Beat is mellow and futuristic, rapping is good even though Quik started out a little off beat.

6. Killer Dope - My favorite song on the album. Incredible beat, great piano, real clear and crisp sounding with a dope bass line. Rapping is dope even though, once again, he sounds pissed at someone and a little bitter.

7. Real Women - Nice laid back cut. Very R&B, and I love it.

8. Poppin - Man this shit is hard. Quik and KK drop good verses. Sounds like gangsta Quik and the bass had my car shaking.

9. Hydromatic - I liked this song when I first heard it, but not as much anymore. It's not bad but that other song Quik played that didn't make the album sounded much better. Could've been left off.

10. Across The Map - Like Hydromatic, I tought this was good on the first listen, but I quickly got bored of it. Beat doesn't fit the rest of the album to me, even though it's not a bad song.

11. Nobody - Fuckin classic Quik and Suga Free shit! This song has been out for a long ass time and I STILL love it. Funky ass production.

12. Boogie Til You Conk Out - Damn this song is too good. Much better than that remix which I thought was bland sounding. Futuristic jazzy beat, and fuckin Ice Cube!! Been waiting on this collabo for quite some time and I wasn't disappointed.

13. Flow For Sale - Extremely dope beat! Sounds like something off of Safe & Sound with the guitars. Quik did well but Kurupt could have done a better job, though he wasn't horrible.

14. So Compton - Another stand out. Very west coast and very smooth. KK does most of the rapping here, with Quik on the hook. Great song.

15. Time Stands Still - I like this song but it doesn't flow well with the rest of the album imo.

16. The End? - Nice beat and lyrics, but this bitter sounding Quik is getting old. He should deal with that personal shit behind closed doors.

17. Quik's Groove 9(I think) - AMAZING!! This is already my favorite Quik's groove. Very jazzy with the guitars, well arranged song. Love it.

Honestly I put this album right behind Balance & Options as Quik's fourth best album. I'm satisfied and I can't wait on whatever else he's got planned.

Stan

« Reply #209 on: April 17, 2011, 04:15:04 PM »
3. Ghetto Rendezvous - Worst song on the album. Beat is dope but gets repetitive and it's not cool to air so much personal shit out there in my opinion, once again he's pissed but I don't enjoy it this time. Should've been replaced with "Fresher Than Me".
Actually my favourite beat on the album... it sounds very fresh compared to everything else!  Ya I'm really disappointed with the content ... calling your nephew Al Quaeda is just too much for me as a fan... I don't wanna know that shit!  I'm sure that kid will get picked on for the rest of his life now at school  :-X

**Killer Dope reminds me of Push Play on the Truth Hurts album.