Author Topic: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)  (Read 26788 times)

Mista Rosa

Re: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2011, 02:56:19 AM »
Killer Dope is one of my fav tracks on the album.

"I bet Eazy-E is turnin over in his grave. To see some of y'all done made Gangsta Rap gay."

Real talk.

Yup. And I bet Eazy would be proud of how Quik is airing shit on twitter girly stye dissing his former partners AMG and Suga Free...
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

Gfunk

• 'G'
« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2011, 05:00:36 AM »
This album is really fuckin solid. Definately my favourite album of the past few years.

That being said im not really feeling the first 8 tracks much, but everything after track 8 is pretty much perfect.

Hydromatic - Dope beat

Across the Map - Bizzy bone spits dope, even tho im not really into these futurstic style beats i like this alot

NOBODY - Classic track. Absoloute classic.

Boogie till you conk out - actually prefer this to the remix

Flow For sale - dooope as beat

So compton - Perfect

Time Stands still - Real relaxing track, love to just sit back and listen

The End - Another relaxing track, probably the 3rd best beat on the album, love the synth and guitar

Quiks Groove 9 - No words can describe other than Legendary!
Code: [Select]
http://www.last.fm/user/Gfunk-

dnjp4life

« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2011, 05:22:45 AM »
A few observations after listening to most of the tracks at least once:

- Do Today, So Compton and Nobody are great!  Both have that classic Quik funk and bounce that we know and love;
- Boogie has a brilliant beat, with the safari-like synth going on in the background, I just wish that Cube's verse was a bit better and that the outro was a bit longer because those drums knock hard  8);
- The synths in the chorus of Fire and Brimstone really make that song for me, nice solid drums as well, but unusual arrangement which takes time to get used to;
- That little beat switch up at the end of Nobody is a nice addition, really caught me off guard the first time I heard it;
- Flow For Sale is also a standout track, sounds like it could fit in on BlaQKOut;
- The bass on Poppin is insane!  My headphones could barely contain it so I dread to think what my system will make of it when the CD is released;
- Some songs such as Poppin and Killer Dope have very minimalist production I noticed, which makes a refreshing change in today's often over-produced and jumbled beats, but will take some getting used to coming from DJ Quik.

Overall it's a great album, I'm really impressed, and will definately be purchasing a copy next week.  However, I wish that Fresher Than Me was on here instead of Across The Map, which I feel doesn't really belong on this album, and I know that that's a sentiment expressed by other forum members too.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:24:51 AM by dnjp4life »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
How come Snoop Dogg never uses beats like "Fresher Than Me"... that's that WestCoast shit they yellin bout!

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2011, 09:29:47 AM »
I'm gonna go out and say best westcoast release since restless

doggfather

« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2011, 09:35:52 AM »

no, no it isn't.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

sicaluffa

« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2011, 10:11:53 AM »
I don't get the love for "Fresher Than Me" and the hate for "Across The Map.  I love "Across The Map", different sound from Quik and great features from Bizzy Bone & Bun B.  "Fresher Than Me" is just boring to me, he made the right decision to keep that off.

Bomb-A®

« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2011, 11:33:20 AM »
I like the album, but probably not as much as most of you seem to. Hopefully it will grow me. I like that the sound doesn't feel forced like Trauma did.

Quik kept saying in interviews that he recorded the album in a month, and he meant it as a good thing, but it always worried me. And it sounds like an album that was recorded in a month. I mean, I wouldn't like him taking forever to put an album together like Dre, but I get the feeling that he just put out the first 16 tracks that he recorded.

Still I'm enjoying it more than Trauma already, but it'll have to grow on me a lot more to even come close to his other solo albums.

I'd say best westcoast release since Montezuma's Revenge (Souls of Mischief)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:36:22 AM by Bomb-A® »

2face09

• 'G'
« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »
i really dont like that loud ass drum he put in fire and brimstone, it kills the song for me. which sucks ass because that song would be really chill and fly if it wasn't for that shit

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
ion see how people can label somethin a classic off the 1st 3 or so listens...then wanna argue..

3-5 listen i dont even know what the fuck i jus listen too...on most shit...

u cant get pissy off somebody opinion

i keep shit like this in rotation for months on in....

then i decide rather its good or not...

across the map should been jus bun n bizzy...kuz quik was out of place on that shit...i mean listen to that shit..lol...little monkey

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #235 on: April 18, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »
01 - Fire And Brimstone
02 - So Compton
03 - Nobody
04 - Flow For Sale
05 - Boogie Till You Conk Out
06 - Luv Of My Life
07 - Across The Map
08 - Ghetto Rendezvous
09 - Babylon
10 - Time Stands Still
11 - Hydromatic
12 - The End/Quik's Groove IX
** - (Come Here) Walk On By
** - Fresher Than Me
** - Boogie Till You Conk Out (Remix)

Tha filler on tha album made it lackluster and the sequencing on tha album literally made it worse.  In this particular order it would've made luv 2 tha ears a little more sweeter...

the "(come here) walk on by" is the Quik solo version of tha Young Ridaz "come here" track?

i haven't heard Quik's version but I assume it's decent.  If I had 2 pick 1 i'd say either or.  but like i said I never heard Quik's version (can't find it).

_________

Trauma = Overrated album of the decade.  It definitely has it's highlights but it's not all that.

&

"Fresher Than Me" = Not overrated at all...smh if u think that

LDV

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »
01 - Fire And Brimstone
02 - So Compton
03 - Nobody
04 - Flow For Sale
06 - Luv Of My Life
07 - Across The Map
08 - Ghetto Rendezvous
09 - Babylon
10 - Time Stands Still
11 - Hydromatic
** - Fresher Than Me

Tha filler on tha album made it lackluster and the sequencing on tha album literally made it worse.  In this particular order it would've made luv 2 tha ears a little more sweeter...

the "(come here) walk on by" is the Quik solo version of tha Young Ridaz "come here" track?

i haven't heard Quik's version but I assume it's decent.  If I had 2 pick 1 i'd say either or.  but like i said I never heard Quik's version (can't find it).

_________

Trauma = Overrated album of the decade.  It definitely has it's highlights but it's not all that.

&

"Fresher Than Me" = Not overrated at all...smh if u think that

There's no DJ Quik solo version.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2011, 03:18:37 PM »
01 - Fire And Brimstone
02 - So Compton
03 - Nobody
04 - Flow For Sale
06 - Luv Of My Life
07 - Across The Map
08 - Ghetto Rendezvous
09 - Babylon
10 - Time Stands Still
11 - Hydromatic
** - Fresher Than Me

There's no DJ Quik solo version.

well there's my answer then lol

Lunatic

« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2011, 03:57:42 PM »
1. Fire & Brimstone - 3.75/5. This beat is interesting. I'm not sure if I love it. It's cool but something about doesn't make me go  :o It's a more than decent opener though.
2. Do Today - 4/5. This beat is more like it for me. Very musical & funky. Jon B fits this well. K.K. is cool too. Good summer sounding joint.
3. Ghetto Rendezvous - 3/5. This beat does nothing for me. Pretty boring. Who's Quik dissing? AMG again? lol. Track is ehh.

4. Luv of my Life - 3.75/5. This beat is tight. This is the type of stuff Quik fits better; once again, musical and funky. Solid track.
5. Babylon - 2/5. This starts off quite weird. It just has a weird vibe thus far that isn't enjoyable. Bizzy is so weird lol. This is just plain bad.
6. Killer Dope - 3.5/5. This beat is alright. Probably the best Quik rap on here so far. Hook is cool too.
7. Real Women - 3.5/5. Beat is cool. Jon B sounds good on it. Quik flows well on this. It's a good cut but nothing mind blowing.

8. Poppin' - 2.75/5. "Stop comparing me to Dre, before I come through with the scope on the K" that's a dope line. "Ain't Detoxin' with it" lol. Quik's raps start off well but the beat is nothing special at all and the hook is super annoying. K.K. offers nothing here; extremely average. So many better rappers Quik could be fucking with. "all you weird bearded queers could meet the fockers"... did he really say that? lol, one of the worst lines ever.

9. Hydromatic - 3.5/5. Beat is cool."Hy-dro-matic" in the background is tight. Gift sounds great on here; as does Jon B. This is a cool album cut. But again, not mind blowing.
10. Across the Map - 4/5. Beat is cool. I dig Quik's verse here. I still hate Bizzy's voice LOL. But he's better on here.  Bun B is dope on this. I fuck with this joint.

11. Nobody - 4.5/5. I knew this would be funky. This is easily the album's best beat so far. I'm not a big Suga Free fan but he's DOPE on here. Best track on the album so far.
12. Boogie 'Til You Conk Out - 4/5. This beat is tight. Nice to see Cube on here. Very nice collaboration.
13. Flow for Sale - 3.75/5. This beat is very dope once again. Production starting to pick up in a good way. Kurupt is ok on it.

14. So Compton - 4.25/5. Again, this beat is more on point! I love this joint. The last few tracks have been fire.
15. Time Stands Still - 4.5/5. Quik/Dwele make a dope combo. Dwele is a fantastic singer. This is real R&B right here. I love this.
16. The End - 4/5. When the track picks up, it's funky and cool. Sounds like we get a surprise Quik's groove at the end which is dope. I know some hardcore Quik fans were disappointed when the tracklist came out and they didn't see a "Quik's Groove" on it, so this is a nice surprise.

Overall tracks 9-16 thankfully saved this from being a disaster. I was really wondering why this album was getting so much praise in the first few pages of this thread (I admit to stopped reading after a while lol). Some tracks are pure garbage but thank God for songs like "nobody" and "so compton."

I still don't think this album is as good as some in here claimed, but it's a good record thanks to the 2nd half of it. I understand the excitement surrounding Quik releasing a new album  ;D

It's a solid 7/10 album
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Matty

« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »
there was a version of 'come here' playing in that strip club clip with a quik verse right? i really don't remember, some people mentioned that before but the video was taken down pretty quickly...