Author Topic: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)  (Read 26778 times)

LDV

• Lil Geezy
Re: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2011, 04:24:13 PM »
there was a version of 'come here' playing in that strip club clip with a quik verse right? i really don't remember, some people mentioned that before but the video was taken down pretty quickly...

Yeah it featured Mistah FAB too. No Quik solo...

So Much Style

« Reply #241 on: April 18, 2011, 08:07:54 PM »
1. Fire & Brimstone - 3.75/5. This beat is interesting. I'm not sure if I love it. It's cool but something about doesn't make me go  :o It's a more than decent opener though.
2. Do Today - 4/5. This beat is more like it for me. Very musical & funky. Jon B fits this well. K.K. is cool too. Good summer sounding joint.
3. Ghetto Rendezvous - 3/5. This beat does nothing for me. Pretty boring. Who's Quik dissing? AMG again? lol. Track is ehh.

4. Luv of my Life - 3.75/5. This beat is tight. This is the type of stuff Quik fits better; once again, musical and funky. Solid track.
5. Babylon - 2/5. This starts off quite weird. It just has a weird vibe thus far that isn't enjoyable. Bizzy is so weird lol. This is just plain bad.
6. Killer Dope - 3.5/5. This beat is alright. Probably the best Quik rap on here so far. Hook is cool too.
7. Real Women - 3.5/5. Beat is cool. Jon B sounds good on it. Quik flows well on this. It's a good cut but nothing mind blowing.

8. Poppin' - 2.75/5. "Stop comparing me to Dre, before I come through with the scope on the K" that's a dope line. "Ain't Detoxin' with it" lol. Quik's raps start off well but the beat is nothing special at all and the hook is super annoying. K.K. offers nothing here; extremely average. So many better rappers Quik could be fucking with. "all you weird bearded queers could meet the fockers"... did he really say that? lol, one of the worst lines ever.

9. Hydromatic - 3.5/5. Beat is cool."Hy-dro-matic" in the background is tight. Gift sounds great on here; as does Jon B. This is a cool album cut. But again, not mind blowing.
10. Across the Map - 4/5. Beat is cool. I dig Quik's verse here. I still hate Bizzy's voice LOL. But he's better on here.  Bun B is dope on this. I fuck with this joint.

11. Nobody - 4.5/5. I knew this would be funky. This is easily the album's best beat so far. I'm not a big Suga Free fan but he's DOPE on here. Best track on the album so far.
12. Boogie 'Til You Conk Out - 4/5. This beat is tight. Nice to see Cube on here. Very nice collaboration.
13. Flow for Sale - 3.75/5. This beat is very dope once again. Production starting to pick up in a good way. Kurupt is ok on it.

14. So Compton - 4.25/5. Again, this beat is more on point! I love this joint. The last few tracks have been fire.
15. Time Stands Still - 4.5/5. Quik/Dwele make a dope combo. Dwele is a fantastic singer. This is real R&B right here. I love this.
16. The End - 4/5. When the track picks up, it's funky and cool. Sounds like we get a surprise Quik's groove at the end which is dope. I know some hardcore Quik fans were disappointed when the tracklist came out and they didn't see a "Quik's Groove" on it, so this is a nice surprise.

Overall tracks 9-16 thankfully saved this from being a disaster. I was really wondering why this album was getting so much praise in the first few pages of this thread (I admit to stopped reading after a while lol). Some tracks are pure garbage but thank God for songs like "nobody" and "so compton."

I still don't think this album is as good as some in here claimed, but it's a good record thanks to the 2nd half of it. I understand the excitement surrounding Quik releasing a new album  ;D

It's a solid 7/10 album

dang i pretty much agree word for word. except i rate flow for sale better and its definetly my favorite along with the suga free track
So much style back at it again

dameons

« Reply #242 on: April 18, 2011, 08:42:21 PM »
This is Quik's worst album since Balance and Options . He has just plain lost his touch . He is very average on the mic now , and those beats pale in comparison to shit he did in the early to mid nineties .He needs to hang it up .He won't sell 20,000 copies , guaranteed. Very subpar music here .  Even wannabes like Dre and Vidal could make better beats . GO BACK TO YOUR ROOTS OR RETIRE FOR GOOD , QUIK !

New W.C  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> New Quik

LDV

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #243 on: April 18, 2011, 08:45:55 PM »
This is Quik's worst album since Balance and Options . He has just plain lost his touch . He is very average on the mic now , and those beats pale in comparison to shit he did in the early to mid nineties .He needs to hang it up .He won't sell 20,000 copies , guaranteed. Very subpar music here .  Even wannabes like Dre and Vidal could make better beats . GO BACK TO YOUR ROOTS OR RETIRE FOR GOOD , QUIK !

:sleep:

D-TalkX

« Reply #244 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
This is the best hip hop album i've heard in a fuckin long time.

Whether you like it or not you can't knock the production. Sound is huge and detailed as hell...still one of the dopest to ever do it, no question.

biggbarcc

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #245 on: April 19, 2011, 12:58:19 AM »
after listening to it thoroughly, i got to say this is really the most solid album after a long time. it is better than trauma.

i enjoyed trauma, but didnt really dug most of the features on it. the album is a bit overhyped IMO.

but book of david is just good stuff. been banging it every day in my car.... just a couple tracks that i am not feeling. but besides that it's as solid as it gets.

to those who say Quik didnt even produce Luv of my life, should hit up the studio with him for two hours and see for yourself what the producing process is like:

http://djquikmusic.com/shop.html

loving that T-shirt by the way!

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #246 on: April 19, 2011, 01:05:35 AM »
decent reviews, i just ordered my copy from amazon, will be getting it friday probaly!, cant wait to hear it

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #247 on: April 19, 2011, 01:21:09 AM »
there was a version of 'come here' playing in that strip club clip with a quik verse right? i really don't remember, some people mentioned that before but the video was taken down pretty quickly...

Yeah it featured Mistah FAB too. No Quik solo...

did you have it?

decent reviews, i just ordered my copy from amazon, will be getting it friday probaly!, cant wait to hear it

i just ordered mine from amazon too

DreTendo

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #248 on: April 19, 2011, 02:28:45 AM »
I'm really dissapointed, especially after reading all the rave reviews on here. It's a alright album but imo Quiks worst, unlike most of this forum I love the first half of the album but pretty much dislike the whole second half, even So Compton which everyone seems to love.

The album really needs some party tracks aswell, a 'tonite' or 'Fandango' kind of track, still decent and I'll still cop it to support one of the greatest to ever touch the boards (I've not bought an album since college dropout)

yakams

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #249 on: April 19, 2011, 02:37:42 AM »
everyone talks about fresher than me
but nobody talks about the song in this video with  jon b in background music
at 2m11

and we can listen to all of bad quality here
but we feel that it's still good

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/7236419
at  44min12

Its weird!!

biggbarcc

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2011, 02:51:57 AM »
They say when you have created something that polarizes ( like Quik's new album ), you are a true artist...

to me Luv of my life is a party track, it is a dance record... this one is what Pitch in on a party is to balance and options for this book of david album.

there are feel good/ party tracks on this album.

Davizz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Keep It Fonky
« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »
They say when you have created something that polarizes ( like Quik's new album ), you are a true artist...

to me Luv of my life is a party track, it is a dance record... this one is what Pitch in on a party is to balance and options for this book of david album.

How can you dance to "Luv Of My Life"? It doesn't even have a hook, he's talkin.

Anyway it's a good album, he never made an album I wouldn't buy (except the Fixxers, I bet Eazy-E turned into his grave).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:13:49 AM by Davizz »

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2011, 10:20:58 AM »

he never made an album I wouldn't buy (except the Fixxers, I bet Eazy-E turned into his grave).

Fixxers album is a decent one, what are you talkin about, was just bumpin Worldwide AM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

Matty

« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »
This is Quik's worst album since Balance and Options . He has just plain lost his touch . He is very average on the mic now , and those beats pale in comparison to shit he did in the early to mid nineties .He needs to hang it up .He won't sell 20,000 copies , guaranteed. Very subpar music here .  Even wannabes like Dre and Vidal could make better beats . GO BACK TO YOUR ROOTS OR RETIRE FOR GOOD , QUIK !

New W.C  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> New Quik

:sleep:

:loopaper:

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

doggfather

« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »

That's right!!!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ