Author Topic: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)  (Read 26793 times)

NoobCake

Re: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »
This thread is comedy gold.  These reactions are pretty embarrasing and a little sad.  A lot of sig worthy material here.
As to the album itself, it's obviously trash.  Just more of the same recycled beats and subject matter from Quik.  1997 called, it wants its music back.

:laugh:

this post is comedy gold. anyone with ears can hear this album is clearly not trash! get the hell outta here with that bullshit :P

"I got a room full of your posters
And your pictures man
I like the shit you did with Ruckus too
That shit was fat
Anyways I hope you get this, man
Hit me back just to chat
Truly yours, your biggest fan
This is Stan"

Matty

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2011, 07:58:16 PM »
This thread is comedy gold.  These reactions are pretty embarrasing and a little sad.  A lot of sig worthy material here.
As to the album itself, it's obviously trash.  Just more of the same recycled beats and subject matter from Quik.  1997 called, it wants its music back.

:laugh:

this post is comedy gold. anyone with ears can hear this album is clearly not trash! get the hell outta here with that bullshit :P

"I got a room full of your posters
And your pictures man
I like the shit you did with Ruckus too
That shit was fat
Anyways I hope you get this, man
Hit me back just to chat
Truly yours, your biggest fan
This is Stan"

trolls gon' troll. guess what people are allowed to appreciate some good music and quik is one of the best.

Spoonie Luv

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »

Wow. You really are a hater!
I just put you in my SiG!

Well Haterz got a job to do so keep up the good work pal :cheers:
Spoonie Luv From Up Above

NoobCake

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »

Wow. You really are a hater!
I just put you in my SiG!

Well Haterz got a job to do so keep up the good work pal :cheers:

ahahahaha are you that butthurt that i don't like your idol's music?  I really think if Quik asked all his stans in this thread to blow him they would.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2011, 08:09:22 PM »
im mad.
not at DJ Quik, but at u muddafuckas.
u guys have buzzed n hyped this album like the 2nd coming of antichrist - i was really, really lookin forward to this..
6 songs in so far, and.. i mean, wtf?

its average/listenable/lukewarm..
Quik-fans dont like this either, its obvious when they r talkin about bitrates/mixing instead of the music..
----

Matty, explain please.
what went wrong wit this album?
???

Matty

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
im mad.
u guys have buzzed n hyped this album like the 2nd coming of antichrist - i was really, really lookin forward to this..

Quik-fans dont like this either, its obvious when they r talkin about bitrates/mixing instead of the music..
----

Matty, explain please.
???

for real? you don't like tracks like 'do today', 'ghetto rendezvous' or 'so compton'? shit is crazy if you ask me, but it was really only quik fans hyping it in the first place.

i guess there is a lack of conversation on the actual music, i'm sure peeps will drop some more detailed reviews in a bit.

i'd say its better than trauma, somewhere close to under tha influence, but not as good as B&O or Rhythamalism. one thing for sure is that it's great music, but if you're not feeling it then fair nuff.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2011, 08:22:08 PM »
im mad.

----

Matty, explain please.
???

for real? you don't like tracks like 'do today', 'ghetto rendezvous' or 'so compton'? shit is crazy if you ask me, but it was really only quik fans hyping it in the first place.

i guess there is a lack of conversation on the actual music, i'm sure peeps will drop some more detailed reviews in a bit.

i'd say its better than trauma, somewhere close to under tha influence, but not as good as B&O or Rhythamalism. one thing for sure is that it's great music, but if you're not feeling it then fair nuff.

granted,
im only 6 songs in so far, and ive just paused it..
ill continue the experience right about.... now

Matty

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »
im mad.

----

Matty, explain please.
???

granted,
im only 6 songs in so far, and ive just paused it..
ill continue the experience right about.... now

'So Compton' is a standout near the end. On some rhythamalism shit.

Hittman2001

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2011, 08:42:47 PM »
Skimmed through it....the music and sound is great (wonderful mix on the album).  Just can't see myself bumping this album like i would've 8-10 years ago.

Stan

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
im mad.

----

Matty, explain please.
???
I'm sorry but I gotta agree.  Don't pull out the hate card it is what it is.  I'm really really disappointed.  Bumped it once in my ride, no tracklisting, and overall the album didn't have the X factor everyone is talking about.  
Many of the songs sound the same or similar, and there was way too much Rhythmalism re-hash on there... NOt to mention the snares on there sounded like something you would hear from the early 1990s... I kept thinking about that.  Bun B was sick though, I'll give him that.  Also how the hell are you supposed to listen and enjoy the last track?!  :o
Damn the first two minutes made me feel like throwing the cd out the window.  It sucked that I had to listen to the dope track that came after it then wait another 3 mins for Quik's groove.

Got dam I'm so disappointed... very generic sounding.  High expectations... decent album but nothing great.  I think people calling Quik a "genius" on this one are high are stans.  Definiitely can do a lot better.  :boohoo:

Matty

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
im mad.

----

Matty, explain please.
???
I'm sorry but I gotta agree.  Don't pull out the hate card it is what it is.  I'm really really disappointed.  Bumped it once in my ride, no tracklisting, and overall the album didn't have the X factor everyone is talking about.  
Many of the songs sound the same or similar, and there was way too much Rhythmalism re-hash on there... NOt to mention the snares on there sounded like something you would hear from the early 1990s... I kept thinking about that.  Bun B was sick though, I'll give him that.  Also how the hell are you supposed to listen and enjoy the last track?!  :o
Damn the first two minutes made me feel like throwing the cd out the window.  It sucked that I had to listen to the dope track that came after it then wait another 3 mins for Quik's groove.

Got dam I'm so disappointed... very generic sounding.  High expectations... decent album but nothing great.  I think people calling Quik a "genius" on this one are high are stans.  Definiitely can do a lot better.  :boohoo:

he can do better, you aint hating. if you're not into the rhythamalism type of sound that much, there isn't a great chance you'll enjoy this. but i could listen to plenty of "Rhythmalism re-hashes" without getting bored, it's a timeless sound. if anyone who thinks that is a stan...then yeah.

Stan

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2011, 08:54:24 PM »
im mad.

----

Matty, explain please.
???

he can do better, you aint hating. if you're not into the rhythamalism type of sound that much, there isn't a great chance you'll enjoy this. but i could listen to plenty of "Rhythmalism re-hashes" without getting bored, it's a timeless sound. if anyone who thinks that is a stan...then yeah.
Well the point of an artist keeping his fans and getting new ones is to evolve.  If he's going back 15 years that's not for me.  And actually Rhythmalism is my favourite or second favourite Quik album, I love it.  I'm not calling you a Stan in particular I'm just saying if you think Quik is a "musical genius" based on this album and how he saved the west ... well... you know  :-\

Matty

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »
im mad.

----

Matty, explain please.
???

Well the point of an artist keeping his fans and getting new ones is to evolve.  If he's going back 15 years that's not for me.  And actually Rhythmalism is my favourite or second favourite Quik album, I love it.  I'm not calling you a Stan in particular I'm just saying if you think Quik is a "musical genius" based on this album and how he saved the west ... well... you know  :-\

if you can do timeless sounds again and again, i'd say there's a fair argument for 'genius'. but it's all subjective. not thinking you're calling me a stan, just saying that having a sound that changes or doesn't change at any particular time is not a sign of quality. the coast factor doesn't even come into it, it's all about the style of music. you could say the better the quality, the more nuanced changes can be when listening to new music. but yeah, pretty damn big quik fan.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:02:13 PM by Matty »

IbblesAndBits

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
Quik is a musical genius, and this record is dope. Is it his best? No, but I'd put it pretty high up there. Definitely on par with UTI and MUCH better than Trauma. I'm not high or a stan for praising this album. If you don't like it, then fine, but I think that's a really fucked up thing to say. Most people here like it, some don't. I went through something similar with that Kanye West album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". Everyone was talking about how dope and different it was, but I thought and still think that it's nothing more than an average album. And this is coming from a big Kanye fan. Shit is just like that sometimes.

Stan

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2011, 09:06:33 PM »
if you can do timeless sounds again and again, i'd say there's a fair argument for 'genius'. but it's all subjective. not thinking you're calling me a stan, just saying that having a sound that changes or doesn't change at any particular time is not a sign of quality. the coast factor doesn't even come into it, it's all about the style of music. you could say the better the quality, the more nuanced changes can be when listening to new music. but yeah, pretty damn big quik fan.
Yup I can see that.  But I think if Dre did that ... if he did a Chronic sounding album from 92 he'd get roasted like a motherfucka!  Actually I'm pretty sure some stans would pull out the sniper rifle and threaten to kill him and lynch Jimmy while their at it lmao  :o

Back to Quik I'm gonna give it a second bump and I'm positive I'll like it more.  It sounds like an album that will have to grow on you.  First impression wasn't good but I had sky-high expectations after Trauma.  Some stand-outs for sure and some generics.