Author Topic: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)  (Read 26869 times)

Stan

Re: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
Quik is a musical genius, and this record is dope. Is it his best? No, but I'd put it pretty high up there. Definitely on par with UTI and MUCH better than Trauma. I'm not high or a stan for praising this album. If you don't like it, then fine, but I think that's a really fucked up thing to say.
Well I meant that if you think he is a genius based on this album then sorry but I would have to say that's a Stan comment because it isn't THAT good... but then again.. your right about subjective aspect.  But most would probably agree I'd be stan (well I am) if I thought D.A.Z. was an ingenious and innovative album.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:15:37 PM by Stan »

Salo

• 'G'
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2011, 09:18:34 PM »
I'ma Tell U Like This..............................4 All the People That Was Knockin' "Fire & Brimstone", U GOT PROBLEMZ, That Track Iz KNOCKKKIN' !!!

"Fire & Brimstone"
"Nobody"
"So Compton"
"Boogie Til' U Conk Out"
"Ghetto Rendezvous"
"Luv Of My Life"
"Real Women"
"Quik's Groove"
"Flow For Sale"
"Hydromatic"
"Poppin'"

All These Tracks R RAAAAAAAAW, & 4 Their Own Individual Reasons !! If U Haven't Heard This & U Understand Quik & How He Does Things, You'll DEF Enjoy It !!!

WEST!!!!!!!!!

Salo

• 'G'
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2011, 09:26:51 PM »
1 Thing I Will ADMIT Tho, (& It's Not Easy For Me To Say This) ...............................QUIK NEEDS TO GET BACK TO HIS BETTER WAY OF RAPPIN' ON THESE INSTRUMENTALS, His Lyrics R Too PLAIN & When He Raps He Says Words So Separately & Clear Like He's Trying To Make Out What He's Saying Instead Of Letting It Ride Tha Track & Be  Little More Fonky & Creative Like "Safe & Sound", "Rhythmalism" etc. Also He Makes His Voice A Little TOO LOUD Instead Of Mellowing It Oout A Lil So It Can Sound Smoov Yet Gangsta

I Miss His Distinct Rap Delivery On Tracks (For Example):

On Tracks Like......
"Put It On Me"
"Hand In Hand"
"So Many Ways"
"Focus"
"Trouble"

WHERE IT ALL JUST FITS & He Messed Around A Lil Better With His Words.

WEST !!!

Raiders4Life

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I'm a RAIDER!
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2011, 09:28:07 PM »
Tuesday I'm buying this and Saigon's.

Matty

« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »
if you can do timeless sounds again and again, i'd say there's a fair argument for 'genius'. but it's all subjective. not thinking you're calling me a stan, just saying that having a sound that changes or doesn't change at any particular time is not a sign of quality. the coast factor doesn't even come into it, it's all about the style of music. you could say the better the quality, the more nuanced changes can be when listening to new music. but yeah, pretty damn big quik fan.
Yup I can see that.  But I think if Dre did that ... if he did a Chronic sounding album from 92 he'd get roasted like a motherfucka!  Actually I'm pretty sure some stans would pull out the sniper rifle and threaten to kill him and lynch Jimmy while their at it lmao  :o

Back to Quik I'm gonna give it a second bump and I'm positive I'll like it more.  It sounds like an album that will have to grow on you.  First impression wasn't good but I had sky-high expectations after Trauma.  Some stand-outs for sure and some generics.

it really depends what type of stuff you're into. after that, it doesn't matter when or when it sounds like it was made. good music is timeless. everyone shoild be open to new sounds, but it has to be good.

Spoonie Luv

« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »
@ Matty,
Quit Trying to defend quik to the end bro, it doesent look good on your part. No matter what you do, its not gonna change peoples mind on what they think about the album.
This album isn't for everyone. they can listen too gucci mane, lil wayne or whatever else they want but my point is, we all have our own standard of good music and it hits us different. just like different genres of music.
Voice your opinion about the album and move on. Fuck everybody else if they dont agree. It's an opinion!

My Opinion is quik is underrated, doesn't get the credit he deserves while Dr Dre is overrated, doesn't produce his own shit, doesn't write his own rhymes and gets ALL the credit for just adding his name to it. will people disagree and think he did everything? yes! but who cares.
support it if you like. if not download it ;D
Spoonie Luv From Up Above

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
Bottomline, Grown Folk Music.
 8) this album.

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »
im waitin til i get my cd to hear it
\

rs1000

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2011, 11:58:48 PM »
Love this album most of the tracks are good KK Kills So Compton love that track and as someone who grew up in the 80’s and 90’s I love the analogue sound of the album I have not brought a hard copy of a rap album in years as I no longer like new rap music but I will buy this,

Davizz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Keep It Fonky
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2011, 12:14:46 AM »
Listen to "Poppin" with your Subwoofer... my God! It doesn't even have the Kicks but it destroy your walls.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2011, 12:28:11 AM »
Damn ya'll hyping this album like a mahfucka.

Not hating but is this album making any noise outside of this forum at all?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:37:28 AM by Matty »

Davizz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Keep It Fonky
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2011, 12:53:49 AM »
I don't think it will have any buzz, but who cares anymore.

Overall I still can't judge the album, "Killer Dope" is just my shit!!! "Babylon" is wack as fuck, it had to be replaced by "Fresher Than Me".

The_Ripper

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2011, 01:47:58 AM »
Damn ya'll hyping this album like a mahfucka.

Not hating but is this album making any noise outside of this forum at all?

:sshh: :sshh: :sshh:
If you get in a fight, and somebody yells “worldstar”. You better fight for your life.

rhythmalism

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2011, 01:57:26 AM »
Daaaaamn, i dont even know what to say. Quik is the fuckin man!

Funkstradamus

« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2011, 02:11:45 AM »
this album compares with Blaqout production-wise to me...its a nice cd...but Luv Of My Life & Nobody had me hyped for vintage Quik...and he has evolved his production...differnet keys and snares...all in all tho i will buy it and bump it...