Author Topic: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)  (Read 26885 times)

h2k4

Re: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2011, 06:50:30 PM »
I haven't heard this album yet but I agree with dude who said Quik changed his style.  I became a fan of his after listening to "Quik is The Name".  Loved "Way 2 Fonky" and "Safe & Sound".  After that though, it all went down hill for me.  A few songs here and there were dope but overall I was disappointed in his direction.  I'll give this one a shot and see how this record is though.

didn't even like rhytmalism?

I thought it was ok.  I am curious to hear this new cd though.  With Quik, I feel like it's always worth giving him a shot.

krzieg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Live 4 Everything Die 4 Nothing
« Reply #211 on: April 17, 2011, 07:01:10 PM »
I haven't heard any of the tracks on this album. It seems like everyone is satisfied with the product. I'll check it out on youtube & if I like it; I'll cop at best buy next week when i get paid.
IT'S STILL..........

H.E.A.T
n'
H.E.A.D

Ryan4321

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #212 on: April 17, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »
what do you do with the code once you copy it?? I dont really download music but Ive been wanting to bump that song with Bizzy and BunB in my ride for over a year now.. still going to buy the CD on tuesday... thanks!!

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #213 on: April 17, 2011, 08:36:23 PM »
Truth is, in this era of music, there is no way to make an album that everyone will like.  Just look at these last pages, you got people saying "Quik changed his style up"  Then you got people saying "Quik sounds the same as he always does, never does anything different".  How can you win??  Dre's in the same boat with Detox.  

This album has the same qualities of all of Quik's albums.  He's got about 3 or 4 really stand out tracks that i'll be bumping a lot (Killer Dope, Flow for Sale [sounds awesome in stereo headphones] and So Compton"  About 6 or so good songs that you don't need to skip, but don't have you wanting to put them on repeat, then a few where he tries to experiment and do something crazy and can't quite pull it off and are skippable.  The track "Nobody" would have been mind blowing if we hadn't heard it close to a year ago.  It was mind blowing back then, so i think people forget about that.  I skip it now just because i've played it so much this past year.  Look at his past albums, Rhythmalism, Balance and Options, Trauma, etc...they all had skippable tracks as well, none of his albums are fantastic from start to finish (like Soopafly's albums are).  I don't know why people were thinking this album was going to be any different.  There are hits and misses just like his other ones; but that doesn't make it a bad album.  I think people are like "oh Rhythmalism, that's the best Quik album ever", which it probably is, but there are a few bad tracks on there too.  I think the weak guest list on this one hurts it a bit too, no real big names on it besides Ice Cube and Suga Free (on one track apiece).  Look at Trauma, he had Nate Dogg, Game, Ludacris, T.I., Wycleff, Chingy, AMG, Jodeci, etc....on this one he's got Bizzy Bone on 2 tracks, who is OK, but hasn't dropped anything hot in years, KK of 2nd II None on a bunch of them and a few other nobodies.  Don't get me wrong, I love some solo Quik songs, but a few more 'westcoast' guest appearances probably would have helped.  He couldn't get snoop on there to drop a verse after being so intrumental in his last album "QDT production"??  Debarge should've been on a track, along with another Suga Free one.  I'm just glad it wasn't another "Under The Influence", that album was horrid apart from maybe 2 or 3 songs, especially after coming off the fantastic "Balance and Options".  I hate it when he releases a so-so album, because then i think to myself "great, i gotta wait another 3 years before another one comes out".  Luckily, The Book Of David is really good.

I don't know, this is defintely the best album released this last year, it's most likely the best westcoast rap album we'll ever get anymore.  It's pretty hard to keep the traditional west coast flavor and sound while at the same time trying to come up with something new to keep some newer fans interested.  I think all and all Quik did a good job.  If you look at his last two attempts "Blakqout" and "Fixxers", he was on some real experimental stuff that just wasn't working for me, so i'm glad he got back to his normal music.  I do think this album is one of his top five albums of his career (maybe 4th or 5th best), so that's pretty good.  As someone else said it, it is grown up music.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:57:30 PM by Soopafly DPGC »

So Much Style

U
« Reply #214 on: April 17, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
nice post soopafly! , ughhmmm this album is pretty dope, pretty experimental and some of the drum tracks on songs like killer dope and the intro are alittle hard on my ears. on the other hand, songs like NOBODY and FLOW FOR SALE are WHAT IM TALKIN BOUT! classic as fuck quik production as good as its ever been with great verses all the way across. No one is mentioning how sick quik flowed on NOBODY. I agree another track with suga free and maybe another kurupt and or snoop woulda been great. KK does nothing for me and neither do the new guys like on love of my life. Overall, theres alot of beautiful music, alot of instruments to deceifer and QUIK is in a wierd place lyically...yall are right he shouldnt have aired his sister and nephew out so hard but whatever, quik has never been shy on the mic...hhaha

overall i give it 3.75/5 (kinda along the lines of blaqout) and i think theres about 4-5 songs on here that will be saved and make it into DJ Quik's greatest jams 8)
So much style back at it again

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #215 on: April 17, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
01 - Fire And Brimstone
02 - So Compton
03 - Nobody
04 - Flow For Sale
05 - Boogie Till You Conk Out
06 - Luv Of My Life
07 - Across The Map
08 - Ghetto Rendezvous
09 - Babylon
10 - Time Stands Still
11 - Hydromatic
12 - The End/Quik's Groove IX
** - (Come Here) Walk On By
** - Fresher Than Me
** - Boogie Till You Conk Out (Remix)

Tha filler on tha album made it lackluster and the sequencing on tha album literally made it worse.  In this particular order it would've made luv 2 tha ears a little more sweeter...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:28:03 PM by Arthur (me) >>>> Sucker (you) »

B.A.

« Reply #216 on: April 17, 2011, 10:53:45 PM »
Once I buy the real copy of the album next week I'm going to take out the songs that I wasn't really feeling and add in a couple of the leaked songs instead, re-sequence the songs so they flow better and make myself the version that I wish would have came out (as it is the album is already very good). I'll probably end up splitting up The End? and have the Quik's Groove part of the song on it's own separate track so I can get to it easier. Quik is coming to town next Saturday for a show and I got VIP tickets so I'ma have him sign the store copy and put it away and just bump my version of The Book Of David; I have a feeling I'll be bumpin it for a while.
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #217 on: April 17, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »
Once I buy the real copy of the album next week I'm going to take out the songs that I wasn't really feeling and add in a couple of the leaked songs instead, re-sequence the songs so they flow better and make myself the version that I wish would have came out (as it is the album is already very good). I'll probably end up splitting up The End? and have the Quik's Groove part of the song on it's own separate track so I can get to it easier. Quik is coming to town next Saturday for a show and I got VIP tickets so I'ma have him sign the store copy and put it away and just bump my version of The Book Of David; I have a feeling I'll be bumpin it for a while.

no u wont and tha album's not that good

i'm done i shared my 2cents and now i'm out

LYRIDER

« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2011, 12:52:39 AM »
Just listenin to this album ..... shit ive listen to it this weekend on Youtube and Two songz been uploaded a little bit faster .....

Killer dope.......

and Poppin......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HnQ1scYYoc&feature=player_embedded#at=68

Think they sound way better like this so i ripped them both and  replace them on the album ....... This gave me a pretty good Dj quik album !!! Sorry David fo doin this  :-[

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2011, 01:39:58 AM »
01 - Fire And Brimstone
02 - So Compton
03 - Nobody
04 - Flow For Sale
05 - Boogie Till You Conk Out
06 - Luv Of My Life
07 - Across The Map
08 - Ghetto Rendezvous
09 - Babylon
10 - Time Stands Still
11 - Hydromatic
12 - The End/Quik's Groove IX
** - (Come Here) Walk On By
** - Fresher Than Me
** - Boogie Till You Conk Out (Remix)

Tha filler on tha album made it lackluster and the sequencing on tha album literally made it worse.  In this particular order it would've made luv 2 tha ears a little more sweeter...

the "(come here) walk on by" is the Quik solo version of tha Young Ridaz "come here" track?

Gfunk

• 'G'
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2011, 01:42:01 AM »
Whats this "fresher than me" song everyones talking about??
Code: [Select]
http://www.last.fm/user/Gfunk-

Matty

« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2011, 01:44:12 AM »
Whats this "fresher than me" song everyones talking about??

it's the track in this video...

suga free is featured on it too.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:46:49 AM by Matty »

DJJohnB

• 'G'
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2011, 01:57:02 AM »
Nobody
Time Stands Still

Great album. Best westcoast album in 6 years.

DJJohnB

• 'G'
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2011, 01:57:59 AM »
Best Quiks Groove in years too.

killakastro

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2011, 02:54:07 AM »
haha his lyrics are funny as hell sometimes..ahis disses are great...i laughted big time sometimes ...great album