Author Topic: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)  (Read 26880 times)

evan the dude

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Alaskan Connection
Re: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #330 on: May 15, 2011, 05:02:19 AM »
After listening to this album for a week. I hate to admit it, that it isn't that impressive... Sure there are some hot tracks on this...

Nobody, So Compton, and that Quiks groove are amazing, as well as Flow for sale

The leaks like Real Women, and Luv of My Life get some play as well... Those 6 mentioned are great, but the rest I wouldn't care whether or not they were replaced with other tracks.. I was expecting better

The reason the album is all over the place, is that it's Quik showing his versatility as a producer, to help gain him some work in the future, and to show his talents on different types of tracks... He pretty much catered for everyone on the album though...

After So Compton, Nobody & Quiks Groove, he needs to put out that unreleased tracks album from his 97-00 period

Really?! I've had it for about the same amount of time and it has only grown on me. What about Killer Dope, Across the Map, Fire & Brimstone?!! This is some of the best, most inventive music from any artist in years. Did you hear the song after the Garry Shider tribute? That shit is too smooth (not talking about the instrumental). Some Quik fans are getting too judgmental. This shit is fire.

Get the dubcnn "california love" wallpaper here!!

Damú

• 'G'
  • What A Breakfast!!!
« Reply #331 on: May 15, 2011, 08:14:20 AM »
Do Today is the joint for this spring, hopefully this shit explodes the way it deserves for the weeks to come. Nobody, So Compton, Quik's Groove are certified classics and dope album joints like Fire and Brimstone, Ghetto Rendezvouz and Babylon deserves a lotta more props than they gets

Matty

« Reply #332 on: May 15, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Do Today, Luv Of My Life, So Compton.

these tracks alone put this above Trauma for me. the rest grows like crazy, but there's just a little too much variety for it to be regarded as highly as Quik's best LPs. still, loads of classic material and best album in a real long time for me.

V2DHeart

« Reply #333 on: May 16, 2011, 04:35:40 AM »
I'm not too judgemental. Do Today, and Fire & Brimestone are average tracks, but still good, inventive, fresh etc. They just don't have that high replay value you'd expect from a Quik album. I'm glad I bought it for the tracks, andp erhaps they will grow on me, or be a gem in years to come when I go back to listen to it

Hydromatic sounds corny, and the "HIIIIIIII-Dromatic" loop in the backround is annoying as hell
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Davizz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Keep It Fonky
« Reply #334 on: May 16, 2011, 09:02:42 AM »

these tracks alone put this above Trauma for me. the rest grows like crazy, but there's just a little too much variety for it to be regarded as highly as Quik's best LPs. still, loads of classic material and best album in a real long time for me.

They're all good but nothing special.

- G-Funk "Pacific Coast Remix" > "So Compton" (horrible hook, is that a hook?)
- Summertime vibe "Jet Set" > "Do Today"
And anyway "Till Jesus Comes", "Get Up", "Quikstrumental", shit almost every track is better than BOD (I like it but it can't compete)

IbblesAndBits

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #335 on: May 16, 2011, 12:40:31 PM »

And anyway "Till Jesus Comes", "Get Up", "Quikstrumental", shit almost every track is better than BOD (I like it but it can't compete)

It's funny because I feel the exact opposite. Everything on TBOD shits on Trauma, except for "Til' Jesus Comes" which I'd say is one of Quik's best songs ever.

Matty

« Reply #336 on: May 16, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »

It's funny because I feel the exact opposite. Everything on TBOD shits on Trauma, except for "Til' Jesus Comes" which I'd say is one of Quik's best songs ever.

same. for a start that track with Ludacris has a really awkward beat compared to the OG version. the only shit i'm really digging on Trauma is Fandango, Get Down & California. The rest is still very dope, but BOD has quite a bit of stuff that trumps it. More of what i'd call the classic Quik sound.

Sami

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #337 on: April 26, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »
Trauma is way better than Book of David...On Book of David it sounds like a rip-off of Quik when he was working with Rob Bacon. I still don't like it except for "So Compton" and the "Quik's Groove" and maybe "Flow for Sale".

Oh and I'm also aware that this thread is old, I just couldn't bear seeing Matty say this album is better than Trauma when I looked through my old posts.

felipebtu

« Reply #338 on: April 27, 2013, 07:55:04 AM »
Real Women,Luv Of My Life,Killer Dope,Boogie to You Conk Out,Flow For Sale,Nobody,So Compton,Time Stands Still,Do Today,Babylon and The End / Quiks Groove ..All These is very good tracks..! Quik never dissapoint.

of course Poppin', Hydromatic and Across The Map are WACK!!

Fire and Brimstone and Ghetto Rendezvous is just regular !!

album 8,5/10

Blood$

« Reply #339 on: April 27, 2013, 09:22:08 AM »
wow this album already dropped two years ago, what the fuck  :o

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #340 on: April 27, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »
Trauma is way better than Book of David...On Book of David it sounds like a rip-off of Quik when he was working with Rob Bacon. I still don't like it except for "So Compton" and the "Quik's Groove" and maybe "Flow for Sale".

Oh and I'm also aware that this thread is old, I just couldn't bear seeing Matty say this album is better than Trauma when I looked through my old posts.

yeah trauma was way better than this.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Matty

« Reply #341 on: April 27, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »
nope, BOD is still the much better album. purely my feeling about it, the more layered instrumentation is a big part of it, trauma is too barebones. the divided opinion shows how differently peope hear quik's music though. someone made a thread recently trying to pick out a top 3/rank them all. trauma seemed to be near the bottom for quite a few people, with BOD coming close to the top 3 in some cases. but its all good, all great albums 8)

BiG*WiCkEd

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • G'z Up*HoEz DoWn
« Reply #342 on: April 27, 2013, 04:51:04 PM »
Solid ass music. Much better ham Under The Influence and Trauma. Although those albums had strong songs, this album is just too damn consistent.

Hope Quik never stops making music. A true living genius.

8)
What Goes Around, Comes Around

My enemies deceased
Died like a bitch
When my album hit tha streetz
Niggas Can't C Me

MOBNigga06

« Reply #343 on: April 27, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »
This album is Quik's best one, in my opinion. Far better than Trauma, and just as good as Rhythmalism.

2 years later and I'm happy to report that So Compton, Flow For Sale, Boogie Till You Conk Out, Do Today, and Luv of My Life are all in my top 25 most played on iTunes. This shit beat out Tupac songs that I've listened to hundreds of times. So Compton is my most played track in history.

So fuck the haters, Book of David is my favorite Quik album - probably my favorite album ever, besides All Eyez On Me.

The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

dnjp4life

« Reply #344 on: April 29, 2013, 01:27:04 AM »
2 years later and I'm happy to report that So Compton, Flow For Sale, Boogie Till You Conk Out, Do Today, and Luv of My Life are all in my top 25 most played on iTunes.

Yeah the way Nobody segues into Boogie and then all the way to So Compton is so good, really well put together.

I'm just waiting for the summer to really hit before I play this album again.