Author Topic: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)  (Read 26840 times)

MoneyMack

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Young Gotstra
Re: DJ Quik - The Book Of David (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #345 on: April 29, 2013, 08:34:43 AM »
Solid ass music. Much better ham Under The Influence and Trauma. Although those albums had strong songs, this album is just too damn consistent.

Hope Quik never stops making music. A true living genius.

8)
No doubt. Gotta agree with this. Quik needs to keep making it til he cant anymore.
Sick Wid' It - Lench Mob - DPG - PYO - Mad Science FAN 4 LIFE!

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #346 on: May 01, 2013, 12:14:18 AM »
This album sucked. Not horrible like Blaqkout but still not good. The thing is, Quik has been highly regarded as extremely underrated as a producer. But IMO he's also underrated as a lyricist. He's not an mc but dude was always sharp, witty, and kinda funny with his words. This album he just nosedove into a sea of wackass lyrics. Never got into this album.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Will_B

« Reply #347 on: May 01, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
This album sucked. Not horrible like Blaqkout but still not good. The thing is, Quik has been highly regarded as extremely underrated as a producer. But IMO he's also underrated as a lyricist. He's not an mc but dude was always sharp, witty, and kinda funny with his words. This album he just nosedove into a sea of wackass lyrics. Never got into this album.

Wow even despite Kurupt BlaQKout was a great summertime album. Easily a 3.5/5 for me.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #348 on: May 01, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »

Wow even despite Kurupt BlaQKout was a great summertime album. Easily a 3.5/5 for me.

That album sucks regardless of what season it is.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

MOBNigga06

« Reply #349 on: May 01, 2013, 08:27:17 PM »

Nah man...Fuck Yall, Hey Playa, Blaqkout, Ohhhh, and The Appeal are all dope cuts off of Blaqkout. There's some wack tracks on there, sure, but it also has some classics. Quik was hit and miss on this album, but when he hit, the shit was bomb.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Matty

« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »

Nah man...Fuck Yall, Hey Playa, Blaqkout, Ohhhh, and The Appeal are all dope cuts off of Blaqkout. There's some wack tracks on there, sure, but it also has some classics. Quik was hit and miss on this album, but when he hit, the shit was bomb.

agreed on blaqkout. take the best tracks from that with some of the BOD material and you have quik breaking into new ground, as good as ever.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #351 on: June 01, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »

agreed on blaqkout. take the best tracks from that with some of the BOD material and you have quik breaking into new ground, as good as ever.

That's the truth. Quik in recent years has been experimenting. Sometimes the experiments fail. But other times they result in the best music of his career. The recent leaks - What Would the World Be Like and Life Jacket - are both top notch Quik tracks. Quik is not declining with time. If he released an album full of tracks like Life Jacket, it would be the best of his career.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2013, 09:11:25 AM »
book of david was forgettable and mediocre. only had a couple tracks worth remembering. he needed a dope guitar player and some other session musicians. album doesnt sound lush like his old shit.

Matty

« Reply #353 on: June 01, 2013, 09:42:31 AM »
book of david was forgettable and mediocre. only had a couple tracks worth remembering. he needed a dope guitar player and some other session musicians. album doesnt sound lush like his old shit.

doesn't sound luscious? luv of my life and so compton are up there with the classic rhythmalism era grooves, even if rob bacon brought better guitar.

Matty

« Reply #354 on: June 01, 2013, 09:49:40 AM »

That's the truth. Quik in recent years has been experimenting. Sometimes the experiments fail. But other times they result in the best music of his career. The recent leaks - What Would the World Be Like and Life Jacket - are both top notch Quik tracks. Quik is not declining with time. If he released an album full of tracks like Life Jacket, it would be the best of his career.

i really wish he could do a full update on the smooth rhythmalism sound, could make for an exceptional album. that sound has basically cropped up already, it's amazing, but not as one full package. and he has the ability to do that anytime, he's even mentioned it. dunno if you saw the video but he's working at some new studio now and getting things popping, with g-one too. those two and rob bacon are the dream team.

run-of-the-millian

• 'G'
« Reply #355 on: June 01, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »
I really like Blaqkout. From the beginning to the end. My favorite from Quik. Don't know or care if it's progressive/experimental/whatever I just like listening to it.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #356 on: June 01, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »
Agree with others who said mix Book of David best songs with Blaqkout and you got a classic.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #357 on: June 01, 2013, 08:40:06 PM »
I just revisited Blaqkout recently and I still really enjoy it. "Book of David" was cool but it never quite resonated with me like most of the other Quik albums.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #358 on: June 01, 2013, 08:53:40 PM »

i really wish he could do a full update on the smooth rhythmalism sound, could make for an exceptional album. that sound has basically cropped up already, it's amazing, but not as one full package. and he has the ability to do that anytime, he's even mentioned it. dunno if you saw the video but he's working at some new studio now and getting things popping, with g-one too. those two and rob bacon are the dream team.

Which video are you talking about? Don't think I've seen it. Great news though.

Anybody who says Book of David sounds less sonically rich than Quik's previous albums needs to get their ears checked! Like Quik said in the Sunset interview, the tracks on the Book of David are pure like diamonds - other producers are making Cubic Zirconia.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Mr. Theo

« Reply #359 on: December 23, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »
For the past two weeks, I've been listening to this album in loud volume...

When this album was released i gave this a 7/10...today for me..this shit is 9.7/10

This album is almost perfect.. only thing wrong is Across The Map.

Poppin' is too funky..remind me some Beastie Boys shiiit..

Fire and Brimstone too Futuristic-Trip-Hop-Eletro shit...Ghetto Rendezvous..Quik lyrics goin nuts.

Flow For Sale is fresh..Hydromatic piano is  :o

Boogie Till You Conk Out beat is very complex

Time Stands Still, it's like a Quik version of Joe - All The Things..

Nobody is a classic funk record...

The High Points in this:

Do Today...it's like 80's music..timeless

Luv of My Life...when this shit dropped on Power 106...My Reaction: Quik is Back Motherf****s

So Compton (This is so good that not even need a Quik verse)

Killer Dope: "And I play my own piano, don’t call y’all for no sessions"

Real Women: Quik and Jon B... 8)   THIS FUCKIN SHIT SHOULD'VE BEEN BILLBOARD TOP 10

The End:  :firedevil:  This beat is like Who?  Dr.Dre ?? Who?

Shit was Dope..

DJ Quik music it's like wine..better with time!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:29:53 AM by Mr. Theo »

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF