Author Topic: Kevyn "Cavi" Lewis (Death Row Records)  (Read 2719 times)

Okka

Kevyn "Cavi" Lewis (Death Row Records)
« on: August 09, 2018, 10:45:44 AM »
According to Ice T's "Westside" compilation, Kevyn "Cavi" Lewis produced Dr. Dre's "Fuck Wit Dre Day". I just checked out his Discogs page and there was a note that goes like this "Note: All the Dr. Dre and Death Row Records (2) credits must be moved to Kevyn Lewis." Who is this man? He produced B-Rezell's "Horny" on the "Murder Was The Case" soundtrack, a lot of songs on "Christmas On Death Row" and he produced a bunch of remixes on Death Row's "Greatest Hits". Oh yeah, "Who Am I? (What's My Name?)" is credited to Daz on this compilation.

teletomble

123imagee

Re: Kevyn "Cavi" Lewis (Death Row Records)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 08:40:06 AM »
he produced the jewell version of dre day.

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:46:49 AM »
see my thread on daz producing doggystyle to get a better idea

dj coma

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 10:07:35 PM »

This is different. He didn't really work with/for Dre.

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 11:07:48 PM »

so how did he “produce” fuck wit dre day?

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 02:24:28 AM »
Kevyn Lewis worked with Death Row where he became sort of Death Row in-house producer from 1996 when Dr Dre leave Death Row and a lot of RnB groups came (mainly from Motown & Warner). So he produced a lot of stuff for Death Row for 6 Feet Deep, Guesss, Bad Girls Of The Industry (B.G.O.T.I.), Guess (formerly Guesss) Michel'le and other Death Row rosters. That's why a lot of his work appeared in "Death Row's Greatest Hits" and "Christmas On Death Row" but there's also a lot of unreleased / Gridlock'd OST leftover tracks (performed by Theresa Griffin or B.G.O.T.I) which were prodcued by this guy. During summer 1996, Kevyn Lewis also co-produced / helped MC Hammer for his Death Row album (they mixed his album at Music Grinder Studios).

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:10:42 PM by donfathaimmortal »
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

dj coma

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 08:54:04 PM »

He produced that Jewell version on Death Row Greatest Hits. He didn't have anything to do with the original.

Sccit

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:03:26 PM »

He produced that Jewell version on Death Row Greatest Hits. He didn't have anything to do with the original.

makes sense

Okka

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 01:10:00 PM »
Yeah, i thought whoever wrote the credits confused the remix with the original. He's also credited as a producer for "Let Me Ride" (with Daz) on some compilations.

Kevyn Lewis worked with Death Row where he became sort of Death Row in-house producer from 1996 when Dr Dre leave Death Row and a lot of RnB groups came (mainly from Motown & Warner). So he produced a lot of stuff for Death Row for 6 Feet Deep, Guesss, Bad Girls Of The Industry (B.G.O.T.I.), Guess (formerly Guesss) Michel'le and other Death Row rosters. That's why a lot of his work appeared in "Death Row's Greatest Hits" and "Christmas On Death Row" but there's also a lot of unreleased / Gridlock'd OST leftover tracks (performed by Theresa Griffin or B.G.O.T.I) which were prodcued by this guy. During summer 1996, Kevyn Lewis also co-produced / helped MC Hammer for his Death Row album (they mixed his album at Music Grinder Studios).

So was he around when they were workin' on "The Chronic"? He is credited for "Writing & Arragement" on "The Doctor's Office".

dj coma

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »
Ok I see what the issue was on Discogs.

There's this Kevin Lewis:
https://www.discogs.com/artist/173463-Kevin-Lewis

He is not the same person as the Kevyn Lewis that worked with Death Row. The note on Discogs that says "Note: All the Dr. Dre and Death Row Records (2) credits must be moved to Kevyn Lewis" is directing the people to switch the misattributed Death Row credits for Kevin Lewis to the other/correct Kevyn Lewis profile.

That's interesting about him working on the Doctor's Office skit, since he didn't really do anything again with Death Row until 95/96. I wonder if he produced the original "Back In Bed" by Jewell and that's why he's credited?