Author Topic: How come nobody ever fuckin mentions Miles Davis last album ("Doo Bop")  (Read 773 times)

BiggBoogaBiff

i think this was the 1st album I ever heard in my life (my folks still play tha shit to death til this day, even yesterday to be exact)... Anyways, we got niggaz like Bruna Mars talkin about "Doo Bop" and ain't showin no love 2 Miles Davis (the creator).  Shit is sickening how some shit dies and other shit lives on... niggaz still remember "Reasons" and "Rump Shaker" but nobody ever takes the time out 2 mention "Boyz N Da Hood" except 4 when they talk about Eazy E or NWA smh. 

This album goes, fuck them critics from way back... I didn't know who Miles Davis was in 1992 (let alone Easy Moe Bee) but I knew when I heard this shit I liked it (some memories you'll never forget).  Nobody ever mentions this album in Hip Hop interviews or music interviews period (rock n roll shit too), Easy Moe Bee doesn't talk about it, you never ever get to hear about this great piece of music even if it wasn't completed by him all of tha way thru.  It's a masterpiece, youl have 2 check it out...  it's Miles Davis, how could u go wrong?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/y6bb9_C3HwY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/y6bb9_C3HwY</a> "Mystery" & "Fantasy"
<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/WEpz2aDfNQo&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/WEpz2aDfNQo&amp;feature=related</a> "Chocolate Chip"
<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/XckLm_SphBI&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/XckLm_SphBI&amp;feature=related</a> "Doo Bop Song"  8)
http://www.amazon.com/Doo-Bop/dp/B002S1XP56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303371444&sr=8-1
(i couldn't find it all on yt)

it all seems a little dated now but back then it was like life seeping thru tha air 4 a nigga like me...

Will_B

I didn't know who Miles Davis was in 1992 (let alone Easy Moe Bee).

Because you were only 1 years old?

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

yup, i always loved this album.
Miles passed awy durin the making of it, i remeber readin Miles autobigoraphy -
n he wanted to do this album when he heard the younguns on the street n their rap-music, outside his window evry morning.
so he called Russeill Simmons up, n asked him to team him up wit some "hiphop"-dude.

Miles alwys transcended byond boundaries in this way, wther it was rock or whatever - he could always play the sax over any typ of music, n he was always the first jazz-musician who was crazy enuf to try n do so..
(((if this dude was alive today, hed drop jazz-albums fused wit techno & hardstyle-music))

its a cool jazz-fussion album,
perosnaly love it - but i understand the Miles davis-fans who dont like it.

i think it got mixed reviews -- yin & yang.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:52:28 AM by Michael Madsen »

BiggBoogaBiff

I didn't know who Miles Davis was in 1992 (let alone Easy Moe Bee).

Because you were only 1 years old?

i wuz 3 going on 4 homie.  lol, that's why i said it's the 1st album i can ever remember hearing... music's been a part of my life all of my life, i don't 4get anything i've ever heard

BiggBoogaBiff

n he wanted to do this album when he heard the younguns on the street n their rap-music, outside his window evry morning.
so he called Russeill Simmons up, n asked him to team him up wit some "hiphop"-dude.

Miles alwys transcended byond boundaries in this way, wther it was rock or whatever - he could always play the sax over any typ of music, n he was always the first jazz-musician who was crazy enuf to try n do so..
(((if this dude was alive today, hed drop jazz-albums fused wit techno & hardstyle-music))

it got mixed reviews becuz he was dead almost a year when it waz released and tweaking had to be done 2 it without him there and u know us fans want tha artist to involved in tha project from start 2 finish inside and out.  that's what happened with tha new Michael Jackson album, it may very well be a good album (never heard it becuz he ain't do it all tha way) but since HE didn't finish it it's not really "desirable".  

plus at tha time everybody knows how bad the rep Rap music was getting, especially the summer of 1992 (even tho 99% of it is mostly scattered/broken thoughts thruout my memory).  It was MILES DAVIS produced by some new black hip hop guy, people just weren't open to it like that/ready for it (which reminds me of "Detox" but Dre's definitely trippin goin down that route tho... anyway).  

RIP to Miles Davis, i wish i could talk 2 people about this album but i don't really know too many people who were hip to Miles Davis, let alone Jazz music.  

albums i literally grew up 2 listening as an infant/toddler:

1.  "Soul Jazz Encyclopedia Vol. 1" - fuckin classic btw... 1994 was definitely a good year
http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Jazz-Encyclopedia-Gene-Ammons/dp/B000000ZE8/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1303380192&sr=1-2

2.  "Doo Bop"

3.  Heavy D's shit.  "black coffee no sugar no cream" and others

4.  LL Cool J's shit (some of it... I remember when "Hey Lover" first came out, that's all i ever played, like literally i still remember the tape melting like it was yesterday)

and some other shit too... i still remember my folks trying to keep me away from the Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre records.  I remember when i 1st heard "Gin n Juice" and "Nothing but a G thang" when they 1st came out, i remember being so hooked that it kinda scared my parents a little lmao!  Oh the memories Miles Davis brings back!  RIP Sir!

when i think of Miles Davis I can't help but think of tha LACK of enthusiasm and praise he doesn't get (which also reminds me of Eazy E)...  yeah every blue moon they might get their 2second snapshot photo of em shown across tha screen but they never get their true props, respect, and accolades.  so what Jazz and Eazy E/Ruthless Records aren't tha talk of tha town in 2011, that shit don't matter... what should matter is who they were and what they did [in real life i dont know too many people if any at all really who haven't heard of Eazy E and Miles Davis that r tha same age as me, especially the youngin's they know who Eazy E iz even if they don't play his music anymore like that]... As Americans we're reminded of George Washington everyday (literally) 4 his ONE TERM as President, how come nobody does that 4 tha true greats and pioneers and pioneers of music; and not just music, everything...

Some1/Some group of people should get together and make "rest in peace" tv/radio playing nothing but the greats who've passed... i hereby mark this idea as my own for the record.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:23:39 AM by Arthur (me) >>>> Sucker (you) »

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Easy mo!1is one of my top 5 producers...i have this lp.some of miles best work...homie alot of these clowns on here play rap..not live it...plus the new generation lackes knowledge of what is what in hiphop..sad,but true.

it got mixed reviews becuz he was dead almost a year when it waz released and tweaking had to be done 2 it without him there and u know us fans want tha artist to involved in tha project from start 2 finish inside and out.  that's what happened with tha new Michael Jackson album, it may very well be a good album (never heard it becuz he ain't do it all tha way) but since HE didn't finish it it's not really "desirable".  

plus at tha time everybody knows how bad the rep Rap music was getting, especially the summer of 1992 (even tho 99% of it is mostly scattered/broken thoughts thruout my memory).  It was MILES DAVIS produced by some new black hip hop guy, people just weren't open to it like that/ready for it (which reminds me of "Detox" but Dre's definitely trippin goin down that route tho... anyway).  

RIP to Miles Davis, i wish i could talk 2 people about this album but i don't really know too many people who were hip to Miles Davis, let alone Jazz music.  

albums i literally grew up 2 listening as an infant/toddler:

1.  "Soul Jazz Encyclopedia Vol. 1" - fuckin classic btw... 1994 was definitely a good year
http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Jazz-Encyclopedia-Gene-Ammons/dp/B000000ZE8/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1303380192&sr=1-2

2.  "Doo Bop"

3.  Heavy D's shit.  "black coffee no sugar no cream" and others

4.  LL Cool J's shit (some of it... I remember when "Hey Lover" first came out, that's all i ever played, like literally i still remember the tape melting like it was yesterday)

and some other shit too... i still remember my folks trying to keep me away from the Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre records.  I remember when i 1st heard "Gin n Juice" and "Nothing but a G thang" when they 1st came out, i remember being so hooked that it kinda scared my parents a little lmao!  Oh the memories Miles Davis brings back!  RIP Sir!

when i think of Miles Davis I can't help but think of tha LACK of enthusiasm and praise he doesn't get (which also reminds me of Eazy E)...  yeah every blue moon they might get their 2second snapshot photo of em shown across tha screen but they never get their true props, respect, and accolades.  so what Jazz and Eazy E/Ruthless Records aren't tha talk of tha town in 2011, that shit don't matter... what should matter is who they were and what they did [in real life i dont know too many people if any at all really who haven't heard of Eazy E and Miles Davis that r tha same age as me, especially the youngin's they know who Eazy E iz even if they don't play his music anymore like that]... As Americans we're reminded of George Washington everyday (literally) 4 his ONE TERM as President, how come nobody does that 4 tha true greats and pioneers and pioneers of music; and not just music, everything...

Some1/Some group of people should get together and make "rest in peace" tv/radio playing nothing but the greats who've passed... i hereby mark this idea as my own for the record.

yeah man,
jazz-newbies always tend to like the fusioned stuff better for starters
so i always send this album to the beginners.
its a better shot, then say - "kind of blue", the miles-classic
after that they always work themselves thru the Miles-catalgoue, n adapt the tastebuds

but i think Miles is solidifed as one of the greats,
nobody is really denien that, i dont think u can compare his stature to the likes of a Eazy-E or a 2pac tho
Miles changed the path of music-evolution in his own way

Matty

great album.

Trip Dee

that was my shit few years back, but older i get i'm startin to like his older shit more...

BiggBoogaBiff

i was like 3 back then so i was a "newbie" to everything lol

Miles Davis is definitely solidified but you never hear about Miles Davis tho, he's kinda like the legend in tha cut and you're wylin talkin about you can't put 2pac and Eazy E in tha same sentence as Miles Davis (that's where opinion comes in and not fact).  Truth is all 3 of dem niggaz pioneered music (and Black Culture) with of course Mr. Shakue and Mr. Wright's life and work ending all too soon (Atleast Miles had a few decades under his belt before he transitioned).

I think the problem with the younger cats is that they don't know how 2 define a "classic".  like when cats from the 90's and 80's were coming up and early early 00's "classics" were labeled everywhere "oh this is a classic, that is a classic", whole time they probably weren't [A Tribe Called Quest albums come to mind].  Basically what I'm saying is that there aren't any rules with us and we're pretty much setting our own standards and doing our own things and a "classic standard" hasn't been established yet.  It's not that the quality of the music isn't there but it's just that there's no landscape 4 it (if that's the right word).

And how many times do i have 2 say that the new generation doesn't lack knowledge, we just don't appreciate it and feel tha same way about it as y'all did and they did before y'all.  It's an ever-revolving door in this situation... becuz truthfully y'all lack tha knowledge about us and then expect us 2 be all up on y'all like we're supposed to be jocking it and obsessing over it tha way y'all do... it's a 2way street

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
Re: How come nobody ever fuckin mentions Miles Davis last album ("Doo Bop")
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 02:53:30 PM »
i remember when this shti hit the local moms and pops record store...i wasnt trying to hear this shit when too short just dropped lol.

i remember seeing the video on yo! mtv raps and shit and a few years ago i checked it out and its easy to see this album is the reason why guru went on to do the jazzmatazz albums.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 12:37:01 AM »
"oh this is a classic, that is a classic", whole time they probably weren't [A Tribe Called Quest albums come to mind]. 

im usually down with u but COME ON. tribe is classic shit

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 05:08:47 AM »
"oh this is a classic, that is a classic", whole time they probably weren't [A Tribe Called Quest albums come to mind].  

i LOVE A Tribe Called Quest, i just don't think they have any classic albums (i'm definitely not saying that they don't have classic records becuz i'd be braindead living in Dick Cheney's asshole if i did).  If you combine the best tracks from the 1st two albums then hell yeah u do but other than that alot of their material is filler, they aren't talking about anything except how "dope their rhymes are" for 30-40 minutes, that's not that great or entertaining and it gets boring.  plus the beats ain't even all that great, i mean i like some of em from the 1st two albums but there's like 12/13 songs on both albums, that's not saying alot if half of the album is filler
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:11:25 AM by Arthur (me) >>>> Sucker (you) »

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 05:13:08 AM »

i LOVE A Tribe Called Quest, i just don't think they have any classic albums (i'm definitely not saying that they don't have classic records becuz i'd be braindead living in Dick Cheney's asshole if i did).  If you combine the best tracks from the 1st two albums then hell yeah u do but other than that alot of their material is filler, they aren't talking about anything except how "dope their rhymes are" for 30-40 minutes, that's not that great or entertaining and it gets boring.  plus the beats ain't even all that great, i mean i like some of em from the 1st two albums but there's like 12/13 songs on both albums, that's not saying alot if half of the album is filler

lmao, this is actually true - but "low End Theory" is perfect by 90's-standarads.
still have it on vinyl. n u do kno dat

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 05:37:08 AM »

lmao, this is actually true - but "low End Theory" is perfect by 90's-standarads.
still have it on vinyl. n u do kno dat

don't get me wrong, i fucks with ALL of their records... i STILL have the tapes (with The Low End Theory being the best imho, especially that album).  All I'm saying is that there are albums from the 90's that people are calling "classic", "untouchable", "nothing these younger cats can top", and all of that other hooblah and tha shit just ain't accurate at all.  I'm definitely NOT trying to demote A Tribe Called Quest at all becuz I got my moods and days where that's all I play but it only lasts for so long.  

And but tbch when they released "The Low End Theory" it wasn't like THAT MANY albums that came out in 1991 were all that great anyway so they pretty much stood up at tha top of their class without much competition lol.  I feel like what Im about to say is contradictory but i have 2 say it, i like their albums but their replay value only lasts for so long and it only comes around so many times like seeing a comet soaring thru tha sky or a colored moon.  I wouldn't knock anybody if any of those two (or both) were their favorite albums but I think they were like u said "perfect by 90's standards" but they weren't all that like an "All Eyez On Me" or a "Death Certificate" (i hate to sound cliche' or like a hypocrite). 

I just feel like there's been better music offered like this album "Doo Bop" (which was mostly recorded in 1991)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:45:33 AM by Arthur (me) >>>> Sucker (you) »