18 (40.9%)
good artist, but not great
19 (43.2%)
Wu-Tang was great but not Method Man solo
6 (13.6%)
He was wack, who cares
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: How Does Method Man Stack Up When It Comes to All-Time Great Emcee's?  (Read 1406 times)

doggfather

Re: How Does Method Man Stack Up When It Comes to All-Time Great Emcee's?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 11:18:58 PM »
he's far from the greatests...
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »
I don't have a problem with rappers re-usin lines, I think you only notice it if your a huge fan and had the oppurtunity to hear a great number of their tracks, in that case it is bound to happen that some lyrics may get re-used.

Another point about Meth though, is that during the hieght of the East/West beef Meth was one of the rappers who had respect on both sides, he was one of the rare features on Biggies debut album and then the next year he was appearing on All Eyez On Me with Pac.

Meth is someone who's always been very respected in the industry, he really shined on the two documentaries on 90's hiphop The Show and Rhyme And Reason.  He's like a spokesperson and an ambassador for the culture.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 03:50:45 PM »
He's got a really weak discography. Great in the group but as a solo artist he's mediocre

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »
one of the greats...end thread.

PLANT

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 06:16:21 PM »
I look at Method Man as a great 90's MC.  He was part of some of the best stuff to come out in the 90's like 36 Chambers, Forever and his first solo Tical was a huge album also in the 90's.  I dont consider him a very relevant artist from 2000 to beyond.

Okka

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 07:31:50 AM »
One of my favorite MC's from the East Coast, but after his first album his albums have been kinda weak. I still haven't heard his latest album, i only heard a few songs from it and i didn't like them at all.

I think Method Man was one of the legends of 90's hip-hop that sometimes might get overlooked, because he's associated with being in a large and famous group- Wu-Tang.  But to me he was the superstar of Wu-Tang.  Old Dirty Bastard had star-quality but that came from being fucking crazy not from being a great artist, while Method Man had the whole package as a hip-hop emcee.

The only criticism I would have of Method Man, was that although he had a classic album as a group, 36 Chambers.  He failed to produce a classic album as a solo artist.   He had a couple of classic cuts as a solo artist with "All I Need" and "Bring The Pain", but him and Rza should of took more time and turned that shit into something on the level of an Illmatic or a Ready To Die.

Also notable, is that he was a part of two successful groups and successful as a solo artist, which not many artists can say that they went platinum in 3 different ways.  With Wu-Tang he went Platinum, solo he went platinum, and as a duo with Redman he went platinum.  And him and Red even had cuts like "Headbanger Boogie" that will go down as classics... so Meth has got to be remembered as one of the greats.

"Headbanger Boogie" was a skit that Meth did on "The Show" soundtrack, i don't think you talkin' about that.

doggfather

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 07:34:02 AM »
One of my favorite MC's from the East Coast, but after his first album his albums have been kinda weak.

Sad, but right.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 07:35:01 AM »
I kind of throw Meth and Luda in the same boat. Incredible lyrically but album catalogs leave alot to be desired. 420 was and still is my shit though from Meth.

Invincible

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 07:54:42 AM »
One of my favorite MC's from the East Coast, but after his first album his albums have been kinda weak. I still haven't heard his latest album, i only heard a few songs from it and i didn't like them at all.

I suggest that you do check that album out. Surprisingly, it is pretty darn good. I would say over half of it is bumpable.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 08:03:39 AM »
I kind of throw Meth and Luda in the same boat. Incredible lyrically but album catalogs leave alot to be desired. 420 was and still is my shit though from Meth.

wtf?.. did you just compare Ludacris to Method Man?    Luda's fans are probably 90% female and most of his music is for the clubs.   Meth's signature style is that grimey shit.  I agree about what you said about his catalog but I just don't think Luda's name deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Meth

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 10:09:30 AM »
I wouldn't put Meth & Luda in the same league. But D was reffering to the weakness of their solo shit.

However, I was a huge fan of Tical.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 01:28:50 PM »

wtf?.. did you just compare Ludacris to Method Man?    Luda's fans are probably 90% female and most of his music is for the clubs.   Meth's signature style is that grimey shit.  I agree about what you said about his catalog but I just don't think Luda's name deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Meth

Even if I was it's a opinion. So what if Ludacris' fans are women. Meth has made tracks for them too lol. Meth's style was really nothing IMO, hence the name Method Man because he could rock ANY style, grimey, club, lyrical, cypher, didn't matter. Luda does his thing for sho, where I rank him I don't know. But definitely like I said before, their catalogs leave something to be desired.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »

Even if I was it's a opinion. So what if Ludacris' fans are women. Meth has made tracks for them too lol. Meth's style was really nothing IMO, hence the name Method Man because he could rock ANY style, grimey, club, lyrical, cypher, didn't matter. Luda does his thing for sho, where I rank him I don't know. But definitely like I said before, their catalogs leave something to be desired.

If it's your opinion that Luda should be ranked with Method Man then it's my opinion that your opinion is trash... respectfully.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 01:58:09 PM »

If it's your opinion that Luda should be ranked with Method Man then it's my opinion that your opinion is trash... respectfully.

"where I rank Luda I DON'T KNOW". Respectfully re read what I said

Sccit

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »
Method Man>>>>Redman>>>>>Ludacris