Author Topic: Why do artists/and fans today feel like they have to "respect a rappers hustle"?  (Read 2532 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I remember back in the day when I was a kid listening to hip-hop all artists and fans were highly opinionated.  Remember reading the fans comments section at the front of the Source back in the day?  Even respected big-name artists like Dre, Snoop, Nas caught hell back in those times from fans and fellow artists.  The game was way more competitive.  

Listen to Common's track "I Used To Love Her" and he disses the fuck out of West Coast rap and rappers (and then likewise WSC response record).   Then on the other side you had "New York, New York" with Snoop and making fun of the East Coast at the beggining of the track "what up god..yo I got mad skillz" and kickin down buildings and ofcourse the legendary 2pac beefs everybody knows about those I don't have to mention it.  But you also had even East Coast crews dissin other East Coast crews skills, like Boot Camp dissin Biggie, and Biggie even said back then that the game was wack and that he only listened to himself and Junior Mafia....

So how did it go from that, to today where artists and fans feel obligated to say "He makin his money... he's doin his thang... I respect his hustle... " ...even if they aren't feeling the music or feel and artists is wack.   Like in the case of Lil Wayne, artists and fans that don't even like his music don't speak against him they just say... "I respect his hustle, he's getting his".
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:41:51 PM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Do you check forums? Rappers get shitted on daily by fans. Even west coast rappers get shitted on at dubcc.

As far as rappers dissing entire coasts, why would they go back to that stupid, meaningless shit that caused the deaths of hip hop's two biggest names? The media were hyping that shit up and caused the violence to happen, so its no wonder magazines like the Source would be avoiding that.

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Niggas is bitchmade nowadays thats why. Thats why all these should be fly by night mcs come out and get excused for not knowin how to rap.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

Will_B

Cats back in the day had originallity and intelligence behind their lyrics. Shit that got peoples ears tinglin, and your mind active when listening. I'd say the listeners expected more content like that. Now days it's more bout gettin somethin just to vibe to. Most current stuff is straight trash in comparison. These new peeps just want the image. No skills, no peers settin standards to have a healthy competition with,

BakinSodaFree

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nathaniel Dwayne Hale - The greatest singer ever.
Because as soon as they say they don?t like something or someone they get labeled a Hater.
Its not just rappers, the word "hater" has removed every posibilty of disliking something, because then everyone call you a hater.

Fuck that, i hate a lot of things but i`m not a hater.
Under the society, still only god`s above me

R.I.P Nate Dogg.
You will forever be missed, but never forgotten.

Will_B

Because as soon as they say they don?t like something or someone they get labeled a Hater.
Its not just rappers, the word "hater" has removed every posibilty of disliking something, because then everyone call you a hater.

I feel you. Too much ignant shit talk on the net.

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I swear this is true. Even when you explain why you dont like some shit you still a hater. 95% of the niggas on this board is blind sheep. I dont even bother arguin wit em cuz you use logic n facts to prove they dont know what the fuck they talkin bout n their replies be "Your a hater" or "U Mad". Its like arguin wit a 10 year old kid.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Because people need excuses to support artists like Lil B' or Gucci Mane.

Triple OG Rapsodie

I swear this is true. Even when you explain why you dont like some shit you still a hater. 95% of the niggas on this board is blind sheep. I dont even bother arguin wit em cuz you use logic n facts to prove they dont know what the fuck they talkin bout n their replies be "Your a hater" or "U Mad". Its like arguin wit a 10 year old kid.

u mad?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.

Mysonne actually talked about that. It's like, the entire point of these forums is to give your opinion & when you give it, you're a hater if you don't like something. There is no point of asking, "do you like this?" when if you say "no", you're a hater lol.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Rappers aren't childish anymore.  Also, thanks to the wider appeal that has come along with the internet they don't want to alienate anybody.  However, these artists definitely still see it as a competition.  Each rapper is trying to "hustle" more than his peer, that's for sure.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Its just the new gimmick. Rap is a very gimmicky genre of music because of the age of a lot of it's fans.  Go to a high school and you can see all the kids wearing shirts with "hater" and/or "hustler" on them when they know damn well they have to be home for dinner at 6 pm or their grounded and they never "hustled" a day in their life outside of their job at Jack in the Box. 

Its the same as in the last few decades when fans respected artists who were seen as gangsters and tough guys, now this has been replaced with rappers who are "hustlers".  In 10 yrs it will be something else, probably even stupider.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:43:21 PM by Russell Bell »
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Its just the new gimmick. Rap is a very gimmicky genre of music because of the age of a lot of it's fans.  Go to a high school and you can see all the kids wearing shirts with "hater" and/or "hustler" on them when they know damn well they have to be home for dinner at 6 pm or their grounded and they never "hustled" a day in their life outside of their job at Jack in the Box. 

Its the same as in the last few decades when fans respected artists who were seen as gangsters and tough guys, now this has been replaced with rappers who are "hustlers".  In 10 yrs it will be something else, probably even stupider.

It's not stupid to brag about working hard.  That's basically the current definition of "hustle". 

Will_B

It's not stupid to brag about working hard.  That's basically the current definition of "hustle". 

No but bragging about shit + not being a good rapper is laughable.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!

No but bragging about shit + not being a good rapper is laughable.

I don't find in laughable because an artist can do whatever they want.  If a person doesn't like it, they just move on.