Author Topic: Why do artists/and fans today feel like they have to "respect a rappers hustle"?  (Read 2524 times)

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
this thread is stupid

Invincible

this thread is stupid

I don't think its that bad. Okay it's gone off topic but there is conversation wih no name calling and Radiotube doing his usual bullshit which everyone is ignoring so its alright. I'm sure the thread will die soon so there is no need to lock it.

BiggBoogaBiff

Will was flip floppin more than Blondes at tha beach on a saturday

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
LO motherfucking L at tryin to pull the race card in a thread filled with like 2 people who aren't white

Only in America can race be such a huge deal that it effects everything from unfair govt practices to unfair rap opinions

Get the NAACP and ol Jesse in here to even shit out immediately!!  WE WILL OVERCOME.
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

BiggBoogaBiff

LO motherfucking L at tryin to pull the race card in a thread filled with like 2 people who aren't white

Only in America can race be such a huge deal that it effects everything from unfair govt practices to unfair rap opinions

Get the NAACP and ol Jesse in here to even shit out immediately!!  WE WILL OVERCOME.

20 dollaz say that Al Sharpton would fuck u up in a back alley 1 on 1

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!

20 dollaz say that Al Sharpton would fuck u up in a back alley 1 on 1

lmao

After i beat his ass, he'd probably have the police waiting around the corner to arrest me for a federal hate crime charge
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:23:09 PM by Russell Bell »
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Jimmy H.

If the hustle is so important to some of you, why don't you big up the ones that do it best? The people at Sony, Interscope, etc. They got the hustle down in a major way, not on some bullshit level like Soulja Boy. Don't know how it benefits the music or HipHop in general, but that is not a priority here is it?
Sony and Interscope have their hustle fucked up. They spent all these years finding ways to legally fuck the artist through the RIAA and then when the game changed and they didn't come prepared, they wanted to rengotiate and cry foul. I'm far more impressed by some teenage kid who came out of nowhere and found a way to make millions than a bunch of college-bred businessmen who let one of the biggest money-making industries in the world get finiancially buried becuase they underestimated technology. Calling back to the 90's rap scene for the argument doesn't work because it was a much different environment then. Comparing Snoop to Soulja Boy doesn't work because Snoop was a superstar but not a millionaire. Snoop was borrowing money from a label he made rich. He left that label owing them albums. Now to be fair, it took for these early superstars to get fucked on their contracts for today's crop to learn how the game was played so some respect should no doubt be shown in that regard.

G-Bee

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Vrije jongen
If the hustle is so important to some of you, why don't you big up the ones that do it best? The people at Sony, Interscope, etc. They got the hustle down in a major way, not on some bullshit level like Soulja Boy. Don't know how it benefits the music or HipHop in general, but that is not a priority here is it?
Sony and Interscope have their hustle fucked up. They spent all these years finding ways to legally fuck the artist through the RIAA and then when the game changed and they didn't come prepared, they wanted to rengotiate and cry foul. I'm far more impressed by some teenage kid who came out of nowhere and found a way to make millions than a bunch of college-bred businessmen who let one of the biggest money-making industries in the world get finiancially buried becuase they underestimated technology. Calling back to the 90's rap scene for the argument doesn't work because it was a much different environment then. Comparing Snoop to Soulja Boy doesn't work because Snoop was a superstar but not a millionaire. Snoop was borrowing money from a label he made rich. He left that label owing them albums. Now to be fair, it took for these early superstars to get fucked on their contracts for today's crop to learn how the game was played so some respect should no doubt be shown in that regard.

Of course, I totally agree. All I'm saying is, if you look up to rappers because of their hustle, you might be looking up to the wrong people. Who are making the most money? Certainly not the rappers.

Jimmy H.

Of course, I totally agree. All I'm saying is, if you look up to rappers because of their hustle, you might be looking up to the wrong people. Who are making the most money? Certainly not the rappers.
Not necessarily. When I look at a lot of these executives, they come from a situation where they are expected to make money. If you came up in Beverly Hills, went to one of the best business schools, and run a multi million-dollar company, being able to make 100 million dollars off a three-million dollar investment is nothing to sneeze at but it's still sort of expected. Now to be someone like 50 Cent, Jay-Z, or Eazy-E who basically came from nothing and to go into a meeting with these business guys who know all the ropes and aren't about to GIVE you anything and be able to walk away with your own company and make millions, that's something. When you're dealing with a record company or say something like the NBA, the contracts are designed so the companies make millions off the artist-player's work. They own the stage so for anyone to be able to create their own lane, I have to be impressed by that.

MUHFUKKA

Not necessarily. When I look at a lot of these executives, they come from a situation where they are expected to make money. If you came up in Beverly Hills, went to one of the best business schools, and run a multi million-dollar company, being able to make 100 million dollars off a three-million dollar investment is nothing to sneeze at but it's still sort of expected. Now to be someone like 50 Cent, Jay-Z, or Eazy-E who basically came from nothing and to go into a meeting with these business guys who know all the ropes and aren't about to GIVE you anything and be able to walk away with your own company and make millions, that's something. When you're dealing with a record company or say something like the NBA, the contracts are designed so the companies make millions off the artist-player's work. They own the stage so for anyone to be able to create their own lane, I have to be impressed by that.
shit thats a good way of looking at it but at the same time only a couple of rappers are really doing that. i mean they all act like they are but theres always some greedy jews behind the scenes caking up

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

Jimmy H.

shit thats a good way of looking at it but at the same time only a couple of rappers are really doing that. i mean they all act like they are but theres always some greedy jews behind the scenes caking up
Unquestionably but I'm not saying anyone should just say "respect his hustle" as an excuse to support crappy music but we've got to realize 1) that the game has changed from the 90's in a very drastic way and 2) being a great businessman in this climate is something to look at. There's a difference between some artist who whored himself for a record company off some garbage pop single and an artist who came off of his own hustle using music I might not personally be crazy about. It would be great if the industry was more about the art and less about the politics but it isn't so the reality is to get control of your music, you need to be able to work the label. Nas might be a better rapper than Jay-Z but Jay has more freedom on a creative level because he's a better hustler. You hear Nas talking about his problems with Def Jam on the "Lost Tapes 2" release but with someone like Jay or 50, they know how to get what they want. They know how to speak to these executives in their own language, which is MONEY. Everyone's been talking about how Game killed 50 Cent's career back in 2005. But it's 2011 and he's still here. His albums sales have slipped a little but he just signed a $200 million dollar production deal for a film company.

And for the sake of the 90's argument, I can point to Eric Wright. Creatively, he wasn't a very good artist to me. He didn't write many of his rhymes and he had very little rhythm on the mic but he owned the company, owned the groups, and had the best people around him to make sure he always had great records. That's a hustle. If he were not an exceptional business man, he would have been shit as an artist. He did the same thing as Puffy. He cherry-picked the very best talent around him, put himself in their videos, and made himself the face of the company. If I were judging him strictly on his artistic merit, he probably wouldn't rate very high but as a businessman, he's a fucking genius and a pioneer so that cancels the other out.

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
the rap game has fallen off hard as fuck in skill in the last 5+ years.

here are some examples:

Lil Wayne
Drake
Gucci Mane
Rick Ross
Soulja Boy

the word "swag"

and at #1: AUTO TUNE!

G-Bee

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Vrije jongen
Killer Mike speaks on the subject:

BiggBoogaBiff

here are some examples:

Lil Wayne
Drake
Gucci Mane
Rick Ross
Soulja Boy

the word "swag"

yo.... like.... who still uses AutoTune? 

Lil' Wayne - people seem like they're scared of Wayne.  Wayne ain't gotta prove shit, he's not even 30 yet and has been puttin' crators in the game since 95' smh

Drake - i never got tha paranoia about him.  he's talented and we sha'll leave it at that

Gucci Mane - underground legend

Rick Ross - the biggest boss since Biggie, simple as that.  hate it or love it nigga

Soulja Boy - overrated in all of this contraversy.  Soulja plays his role, y'all play his balls in your mouth... done deal

the word "Swag", really?  u must not be from the States

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas

here are some examples:

Lil Wayne
Drake
Gucci Mane
Rick Ross
Soulja Boy

say what u want about any of these niggas... but u can never say they sat around expectin hand outs cryin over other rappers in the game

auto tune has been used since 97....ya favorite rapper uses it......he doesnt use the sound effects...but everybody thats in the music industry uses it.. just about...

funny the scapegoat for rap fallin off was ying yang, d4l, soulja boy

soulja boy still here... replaced ying yang and d4 l with gucci, drake, and rick...

who was any of these niggas yall love to hate..be4 u found out u hated em?

how did they get big n radio play...

they hustle...reason y i buy all they shit....they aint sittin around with broad like mentalities...