Author Topic: Why do artists/and fans today feel like they have to "respect a rappers hustle"?  (Read 2521 times)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

the rap game has fallen off hard as fuck in skill in the last 5+ years.

here are some examples:

Lil Wayne
Drake
Gucci Mane
Rick Ross
Soulja Boy

and at #1: AUTO TUNE!

say what u want about any of these niggas... but u can never say they sat around expectin hand outs cryin over other rappers in the game

auto tune has been used since 97....ya favorite rapper uses it......he doesnt use the sound effects...but everybody thats in the music industry uses it.. just about...

funny the scapegoat for rap fallin off was ying yang, d4l, soulja boy

soulja boy still here... replaced ying yang and d4 l with gucci, drake, and rick...

who was any of these niggas yall love to hate..be4 u found out u hated em?

how did they get big n radio play...

they hustle...reason y i buy all they shit....they aint sittin around with broad like mentalities...

okay.... so i take it quality isnt impportant to u?

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
nope...rap game is jus like the film game to me

could careless..i wanna buy it i buy it...

bouli77

If the hustle is so important to some of you, why don't you big up the ones that do it best? The people at Sony, Interscope, etc. They got the hustle down in a major way, not on some bullshit level like Soulja Boy. Don't know how it benefits the music or HipHop in general, but that is not a priority here is it?
Sony and Interscope have their hustle fucked up. They spent all these years finding ways to legally fuck the artist through the RIAA and then when the game changed and they didn't come prepared, they wanted to rengotiate and cry foul. I'm far more impressed by some teenage kid who came out of nowhere and found a way to make millions than a bunch of college-bred businessmen who let one of the biggest money-making industries in the world get finiancially buried becuase they underestimated technology. Calling back to the 90's rap scene for the argument doesn't work because it was a much different environment then. Comparing Snoop to Soulja Boy doesn't work because Snoop was a superstar but not a millionaire. Snoop was borrowing money from a label he made rich. He left that label owing them albums. Now to be fair, it took for these early superstars to get fucked on their contracts for today's crop to learn how the game was played so some respect should no doubt be shown in that regard.

Of course, I totally agree. All I'm saying is, if you look up to rappers because of their hustle, you might be looking up to the wrong people. Who are making the most money? Certainly not the rappers.

Not they're not but 3 things :

1) Hustle isn't solely about the amount of money, it's about work-ethic and how you manage to go from "rags to riches". when you see an artist as restless as Bun B, you gotta respect his craft and the work-ethic. That's what I understand by "respect the hustle"

2) Hustle can mean a particular lane that you chose to take and develop despite of other people's jeer or indifference. One might say "I don't fuck with Freestyle Fellowship but can't knock their hustle, they're doing their thing" / I remember Redman saying on 106 and Park answering whether he would collaborate or not with Soulja Boy (this was in regards to the Ice T/Soulja Boy situation) :"i respect everybody that's trying to feed their family, can't knock somebody's hustle, i would collaborate with him"

3) Some rappers are respected because they pimped the system in their own ways. Maybe not pimped but made a tremendous profit when superstars were being pimped by the system (Run DMC in the 80's, Snoop in the 90's). Cash Money signed the biggest deal in Hip Hop History back in 1998 : $3 mill advance + 80% of the wholesale price + $1.5 million credit line per album. and they kept all their master. even if cash money was considered trash by most established hip-hop acts, I think Snoop, Nas, or DMX were in awe in front of such deals. same with E-40 when he signed with Jive and they agreed to pay him $1 mill for each album delivered. not to mention Master P's deal... I think ultimately that's what people mean when they say I respect the hustle

Agree with the "hater" thing though, nowadays everybody gets labeled a hater. In the 90's rap artists and fans alike were shitting on people like Master P & E-40. they were stories were P would open for Pac and Pac would laugh to his face. But then again as soon as you reached some commercial relevance you were a force to be reckoned with. The East didn't really fuck with Gangsta Rap at first but then Def Jam signed a lot of Westcoast artists like SCC, Warren G, WC, Jayo Felony. The East didn't fuck with the South (contrarily to the West who's always been connected to the South) and then you would see Jay-Z, Nas or LL Cool J collaborating with Master P. And if anything, eastcoast rappers and journalists and the whole east-centered rap intelligentsia are the biggest haters.

Raphael

because most people who listen to hiphop are retarded and care more about the image than the music.

BiggBoogaBiff

Rap ``fans`` have sum of tha worst stereotypes imagined.  When r foreigners and old white men gonna realize that rappers (including tha above mentioned) dont dictate watz hot or not?  12 and 13 arent dictating which way tha game is going, thats all lies and hype 4 artists who arent doing well.  Seems like this argument never dies no matter what era we`re in or wat tha flavor of tha day is.  All i know is that new YG Hootie track crank!

BiggBoogaBiff

And yes, its possible to be a hater and not know it

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille

here are some examples:

Lil Wayne
Drake
Gucci Mane
Rick Ross
Soulja Boy

the word "swag"

yo.... like.... who still uses AutoTune? 

Lil' Wayne - people seem like they're scared of Wayne.  Wayne ain't gotta prove shit, he's not even 30 yet and has been puttin' crators in the game since 95' smh

Drake - i never got tha paranoia about him.  he's talented and we sha'll leave it at that

Gucci Mane - underground legend

Rick Ross - the biggest boss since Biggie, simple as that.  hate it or love it nigga

Soulja Boy - overrated in all of this contraversy.  Soulja plays his role, y'all play his balls in your mouth... done deal

the word "Swag", really?  u must not be from the States

wayne is wack as fuck drug addict who can barely talk let alone rap.... drake, he is horrible, dude dont even rap - he talks and uses auto tune to make his voice better (also so does wayne ) gucci is a legend of what? ross is nothin like biggie so dont go there, soulja boy is well soulja boy so whatever. and swag! , yes im american and been here my whole life. the word has only become popular in the last 5 years or so and it has gotten so played out  for a word never used before it gets used now for everything. what the fuck, lol.

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille

here are some examples:

Lil Wayne
Drake
Gucci Mane
Rick Ross
Soulja Boy

say what u want about any of these niggas... but u can never say they sat around expectin hand outs cryin over other rappers in the game

auto tune has been used since 97....ya favorite rapper uses it......he doesnt use the sound effects...but everybody thats in the music industry uses it.. just about...

soulja boy still here... replaced ying yang and d4 l with gucci, drake, and rick...

they hustle...reason y i buy all they shit....they aint sittin around with broad like mentalities...

thats basically what he said, he dont care bout quality. lol. u buy music becuase they hustle, LOL, not becuase its good. WOW!

Triple OG Rapsodie

here are some examples:

Lil Wayne
Drake
Gucci Mane
Rick Ross
Soulja Boy

the word "swag"

lil wayne, drake and rick ross aren't any worse at rapping than daz

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas

here are some examples:

Lil Wayne
Drake
Gucci Mane
Rick Ross
Soulja Boy

thats basically what he said, he dont care bout quality. lol. u buy music becuase they hustle, LOL, not becuase its good. WOW!

fuck quality who cares, if i want a message i'll call my pops,uncles grandpa up ... a rapper cant tell me shit...

every tuesday i spend close to a bill on new releases at best buy...

i go out to different events ( car shows, concerts, clubs etc) nigga outside hustlin music...ill drop 5-10 bucks...give that nigga hope

i aint never been a snob to music...

GangstaBoogy

One of the realest posts I've read on here in years. Couldn't agree more. I hear that all the time too, especially with someone like souljaboy "the kid is makin his money so I can't hate". Fine don't hate but don't act like the music isn't fuckin trash.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

bouli77

here are some examples:

Lil Wayne
Drake
Gucci Mane
Rick Ross
Soulja Boy

the word "swag"

lil wayne, drake and rick ross aren't any worse at rapping than daz

exactly, i'll even go further and say that wayne and ross are better rappers than daz will ever be. not sayin i prefer them over Daz but c'mon even if you don't like wayne's music, you gotta acknowledge his skills and his craft.

Raphael

People who say that little wayne has skills are the same people who thought the movie Crash was deep.

BLUNTTYMECC

• 'G'
One of the realest posts I've read on here in years. Couldn't agree more. I hear that all the time too, especially with someone like souljaboy "the kid is makin his money so I can't hate". Fine don't hate but don't act like the music isn't fuckin trash.

theres music outside the west coast youre gay

V2DHeart

It's a disguise to try and conceal a rappers lack of creative ability. Hustling, image, and "swag" (my god, I hate that word) take precedence over talent, and because big labels can push these rappers over TV/radio/publications to the fully recognized level, where everyone is aware of them

Me personally - I hate talentless kids making big money.... Why? Because somewhere, for every talentless person with a deal, there is a talented kid who can play numerous instruments, and has an artistry intellect is down in some low paying job somewhere, which isn't right.

Picture your child, who has spent years - most of his life - attending music classes, writing music, learning instruments, working to spend money on equipment, and spending every bit of free time and energy mastering his craft, while some bozo who has a 2 year hobby to want to be a big rapper for fame and bragging-rights purposes strikes a big deal, while your child looses out.. Somewhere that is happening, and is happening regularly

Labels have a responsibility to ensure the future survival and level of quality in the music industry first and foremost, while profit should be a very close second, but what we see now is shareholders first, profit second, business investment third, so on, and so on, with quality being away down the list... Good for them, but bad for consumer confidence, and dependability for getting value for money, which is why the industry (in a physical product sense - CD's etc) is suffering from a sales point
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>