Author Topic: Why do artists/and fans today feel like they have to "respect a rappers hustle"?  (Read 2533 times)

Will_B

It's a disguise to try and conceal a rappers lack of creative ability. Hustling, image, and "swag" (my god, I hate that word) take precedence over talent, and because big labels can push these rappers over TV/radio/publications to the fully recognized level, where everyone is aware of them

Me personally - I hate talentless kids making big money.... Why? Because somewhere, for every talentless person with a deal, there is a talented kid who can play numerous instruments, and has an artistry intellect is down in some low paying job somewhere, which isn't right.

Picture your child, who has spent years - most of his life - attending music classes, writing music, learning instruments, working to spend money on equipment, and spending every bit of free time and energy mastering his craft, while some bozo who has a 2 year hobby to want to be a big rapper for fame and bragging-rights purposes strikes a big deal, while your child looses out.. Somewhere that is happening, and is happening regularly

Labels have a responsibility to ensure the future survival and level of quality in the music industry first and foremost, while profit should be a very close second, but what we see now is shareholders first, profit second, business investment third, so on, and so on, with quality being away down the list... Good for them, but bad for consumer confidence, and dependability for getting value for money, which is why the industry (in a physical product sense - CD's etc) is suffering from a sales point

Real talk, but your comments bout kids working hard for the art will mostly fall on deaf ears here.

I'll probably get called a cracker just for saying that much.. :nawty:

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
It's a disguise to try and conceal a rappers lack of creative ability. Hustling, image, and "swag" (my god, I hate that word) take precedence over talent, and because big labels can push these rappers over TV/radio/publications to the fully recognized level, where everyone is aware of them

Me personally - I hate talentless kids making big money.... Why? Because somewhere, for every talentless person with a deal, there is a talented kid who can play numerous instruments, and has an artistry intellect is down in some low paying job somewhere, which isn't right.

Picture your child, who has spent years - most of his life - attending music classes, writing music, learning instruments, working to spend money on equipment, and spending every bit of free time and energy mastering his craft, while some bozo who has a 2 year hobby to want to be a big rapper for fame and bragging-rights purposes strikes a big deal, while your child looses out.. Somewhere that is happening, and is happening regularly

Labels have a responsibility to ensure the future survival and level of quality in the music industry first and foremost, while profit should be a very close second, but what we see now is shareholders first, profit second, business investment third, so on, and so on, with quality being away down the list... Good for them, but bad for consumer confidence, and dependability for getting value for money, which is why the industry (in a physical product sense - CD's etc) is suffering from a sales point

Real talk, but your comments bout kids working hard for the art will mostly fall on deaf ears here.

I'll probably get called a cracker just for saying that much.. :nawty:

Exactly, cause hustling hard pushing a product that most rap/music fans think is shit (notice i didnt say "people who listen to music or buy ringtones") = hitting the lottery.  And since when did we give credit to the dude who hits the fucking lottery?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:48:28 PM by Russell Bell »
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Triple OG Rapsodie

Popular music isn't about how much you learn about music theory or buying equipment. Its about making the music that people want to hear. If they aren't making the music that people are going to want to buy, then what are they complaining about? I don't get what the problem is. Those who are in it to make money are doing just that. Hustling and succeeding at it. Those who are passionate about the "art form" are doing what they love. They aren't in it to make money, they do it because they feel passionate about it.

That's ludicrous. Any business's primary goal is profit. If record labels hadn't seen commercial appeal in hip hop, it never would've elevated to mainstream and selling platinum albums. It would still be kids on the street, doing something they love. They saw the money and they went for it. And once there's no more profit in rap they'll move on to the next big music genre. Bottom line is that the underground is alive and well for those who don't want commercial music. Those who make music to get money can do it, and those who do it because they love it get satisfaction out of doing something they love.

Triple OG Rapsodie

This whole thread has no credibility. It'd be one thing if this topic was being argued on a Nas forum. But its hypocritical to be talking about lack of skill in the mainstream on a forum that goes gaga over the latest Snoop album.

BiggBoogaBiff

Nate Dogg was quoted once before in the 90's or early 2000's saying that he was "only in it for the money"

BiggBoogaBiff

the rap game has fallen off hard as fuck in skill in the last 5+ years.

here are some examples:

Lil Wayne
Drake
Gucci Mane
Rick Ross
Soulja Boy

and at #1: AUTO TUNE!

say what u want about any of these niggas... but u can never say they sat around expectin hand outs cryin over other rappers in the game

auto tune has been used since 97....ya favorite rapper uses it......he doesnt use the sound effects...but everybody thats in the music industry uses it.. just about...

funny the scapegoat for rap fallin off was ying yang, d4l, soulja boy

soulja boy still here... replaced ying yang and d4 l with gucci, drake, and rick...

who was any of these niggas yall love to hate..be4 u found out u hated em?

how did they get big n radio play...

they hustle...reason y i buy all they shit....they aint sittin around with broad like mentalities...

okay.... so i take it quality isnt impportant to u?

thats basically what he said, he dont care bout quality. lol. u buy music becuase they hustle, LOL, not becuase its good. WOW!

fuck quality who cares, if i want a message i'll call my pops,uncles grandpa up ... a rapper cant tell me shit...

every tuesday i spend close to a bill on new releases at best buy...

i go out to different events ( car shows, concerts, clubs etc) nigga outside hustlin music...ill drop 5-10 bucks...give that nigga hope

i aint never been a snob to music...

#higherthangod'struth

like i said tho, this thread is wack (not that i judge chit like that).  it's just bitching.  i don't get how y'all can hang on to something that long and totally block out everything else.  if wat 3rd said about "quality music" went over your heads (maybe u coulda been fuckin wit him idk), but if it did then Rap music just doesn't love you back. 

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
the rap game has fallen off hard as fuck in skill in the last 5+ years.

here are some examples:

Lil Wayne
Drake
Gucci Mane
Rick Ross
Soulja Boy

and at #1: AUTO TUNE!

say what u want about any of these niggas... but u can never say they sat around expectin hand outs cryin over other rappers in the game

auto tune has been used since 97....ya favorite rapper uses it......he doesnt use the sound effects...but everybody thats in the music industry uses it.. just about...

funny the scapegoat for rap fallin off was ying yang, d4l, soulja boy

soulja boy still here... replaced ying yang and d4 l with gucci, drake, and rick...

who was any of these niggas yall love to hate..be4 u found out u hated em?

how did they get big n radio play...

they hustle...reason y i buy all they shit....they aint sittin around with broad like mentalities...

okay.... so i take it quality isnt impportant to u?

thats basically what he said, he dont care bout quality. lol. u buy music becuase they hustle, LOL, not becuase its good. WOW!

fuck quality who cares, if i want a message i'll call my pops,uncles grandpa up ... a rapper cant tell me shit...

every tuesday i spend close to a bill on new releases at best buy...

i go out to different events ( car shows, concerts, clubs etc) nigga outside hustlin music...ill drop 5-10 bucks...give that nigga hope

i aint never been a snob to music...

#higherthangod'struth

like i said tho, this thread is wack (not that i judge chit like that).  it's just bitching.  i don't get how y'all can hang on to something that long and totally block out everything else.  if wat 3rd said about "quality music" went over your heads (maybe u coulda been fuckin wit him idk), but if it did then Rap music just doesn't love you back. 

So we shouldn't like quality music?

Or is the definition of quality just being misused? Cause what u guys are sayin is quality = some conscientious, positive message type stuff, and that isnt what "quality" means to me necessarily.  This isn't about "message vs fun music" just like it aint about "new vs old".

Triple OG Rapsodie

Or is the definition of quality just being misused? Cause what u guys are sayin is quality = some conscientious, positive message type stuff, and that isnt what "quality" means to me necessarily.  This isn't about "message vs fun music" just like it aint about "new vs old".

There is no straight definition of quality, hence this thread makes no sense. A lot of the people complaining still listen to washed up rappers who imo can't rap anymore. Who are you to tell me mainstream rappers aren't quality if you still listen to Daz and Snoop?

BiggBoogaBiff

There is no straight definition of quality, hence this thread makes no sense. A lot of the people complaining still listen to washed up rappers who imo can't rap anymore. Who are you to tell me mainstream rappers aren't quality.

they're just bussin ballz at this point.  plus Russell's from Brusells or something like that, he wouldn't get it. 

and Rus...  your Definition of definition of quality is being misused.

Will_B

Listen to any old school hiphop that talks about 'wack mcs' - back then if it was weak music people knew the reals and you wouldn't be seen dead listening to it. Credible music had streetcred or whatever you want to call it and you didn't need a definition to know when something was wack jack. Nowadays those lyrical disses have changed and bone head rappers have beef with one another on twitter and shit like that. If you call something wack or weak you're a hater... That's not a comment about old vs new music it's about the attitude and mindset of the listener.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
1.  There is black and white talent when it comes to music.  If that weren't true, which it is, then you couldnt tell the difference between 50 cent and 50 tyson.  Thats not me liking one over the other for some subjective reason, thats me recognizing ones got more talent than the other. 

2.  Im from and live in California, so that whole Euro thing doesnt apply here.  And FYI, I havent bought a Dogg Pound album for the last decade.

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
Listen to any old school hiphop that talks about 'wack mcs' - back then if it was weak music people knew the reals and you wouldn't be seen dead listening to it. Credible music had streetcred or whatever you want to call it and you didn't need a definition to know when something was wack jack. Nowadays those lyrical disses have changed and bone head rappers have beef with one another on twitter and shit like that. If you call something wack or weak you're a hater... That's not a comment about old vs new music it's about the attitude and mindset of the listener.

u crazy back then nobody gave a fuck what other people was listenin 2....i was raised in that era...i have heard niggas listenin 2 young mc to biz markie in the cars...loud..

goto dances...vanilla ice, hammer, d.u, doug e fresh, etc all bein played..

wasnt no real hip hop shit bein said..nobody gave a damn...they was enjoyin life... u come up to somebody tryin2 check em bout they music kuz its not ya style...get head knocked off..

.thats why different folks peole call wack now...went gold and platinum and mostly the ones screamin that sucka mc shit...fell to the waist side..

rakim consider the greatest mc ever.. couldnt stay relevant past 91..same 4 krs 1...p.e..all the mcs in new york that were people ooooh n ahhhhh over..couldnt outsell the wackest of music from 89-94..

how vanilla ice n hammer come out the gate and go diamond?

nobody gave a fuck what people thought or what they listen to ...

nowadays all the ones screamin that credible music shit got a outlet...which is online...outside the net nobody gives a fuck about the quality...if it go hard in the club n on the streets....fuck the quality...

back then...nobody gave a shit....

BLUNTTYMECC

• 'G'
euros act like detox is gon be the 2nd coming of jesus

V2DHeart

When the word "swag" is used by dorky white teens from rich kids on MTV shows, and teeny bopper singers like Keisha, you know it's not cool to use, and about as relevant to use as "bling bling", or "chillax". It's actually really corny and cringe worthy when a so called rapper uses it...

Today, with the overuse of auto-tune, and lack of talent required ^^ He would easily get a deal... A business's main goal is profit, but in some exceptions as media, it has to take expansion, and quality seriously being in an environment that has critics daily 24/7, otherwise sales will suffer. And guess what? They have. It has nothing to do with piracy. Piracy existed in the 90's, and music was easier to bootleg/record than what it is now... It's all down to quality

The 90's had it's fair share of average artists, and some horrible releases too.... But by comparison, a lot of those average releases are classed by many on here as "sh!t on anything brought out today".. I think it's the mainstream dominance of monotone wack rap is the main concern here, and reason why there's no confidence in the market anymore. In the 90's, early to mid 2000, you had your 2Pac, Biggie, Puffy, Snoop, Dre etc. Then the Eminems. Hell even the RnB Destiny s Child, Mary J, Lauren Hill & Dru Hill. There was major talent on the mainstream. Then 2000's, Jay Z, Neptunes, LL, Nas, to the likes of Murder Inc, all releasing musical product, before Kanye & G-unit blew up and got hated on a lot. Some of it was corny too, like Ja Rule/Ashanti collaborations for example, but the mainstream was far more competitive, and had rappers/singers who could actually rap and sing on their own. Even the singers were rhyming words with more than syllable

Then you get to todays standards and you get the likes of this for example:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kgpbHdbZA0&amp;feature=fvwrel" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6kgpbHdbZA0&amp;feature=fvwrel</a>

His other song juice, and pretty much anything else to do with Gucci, drake and so on - The mainstream by comparison is why people say that Hip Hop is dead. Although the underground is pretty much alive, the mainstream part is pretty much dead with no big talent out there putting out good work. Even vets like Jay Z, Snoop and now even Dr Dre are putting out sub standard work. They aren't opening the door and having a room available for the young talented artists to stay around, so there isn't any consumer confidence anymore... N you all know that, you see it everyday when you walk into a music store how many times they need to re-release/re-cycle old hits in new packaging because it seems to be the only way that music can stand up for buying power to keep the cash coming in, in a weaker music industry.
90's classics, Hip Hop classics, R&B anthems, Hip Hop - The message (party anthems), Ultimate Hip Hop box, Best Hits of Hip Hop, The ultimate collections, Essentials, The very best of's... They churn more of those out today than they ever did. It was a rarity to see those before..

In ten years time, will they be releasing "classics"/"anthems" compilations weekly, with the likes of Gucci, drake & Lil Wayne all over them?? ..... Exactly.. They don't have the ability to create timeless music, the music that stands the test of time, and is enjoyed years after they're gone... I don't give a shyt about how many youtube views they have, or how many 'Twitter' followers they have, or how many endorsement deals they've "hustled"... Because at the end of the day, to me, it's the music that speaks the loudest, and I can't hear shyt from any of those weak rapping pop singers
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
It has nothing to do with piracy. Piracy existed in the 90's, and music was easier to bootleg/record than what it is now...

HUH?
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)