Author Topic: Why do artists/and fans today feel like they have to "respect a rappers hustle"?  (Read 2522 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Its just the new gimmick. Rap is a very gimmicky genre of music because of the age of a lot of it's fans.  Go to a high school and you can see all the kids wearing shirts with "hater" and/or "hustler" on them when they know damn well they have to be home for dinner at 6 pm or their grounded and they never "hustled" a day in their life outside of their job at Jack in the Box. 

Its the same as in the last few decades when fans respected artists who were seen as gangsters and tough guys, now this has been replaced with rappers who are "hustlers".  In 10 yrs it will be something else, probably even stupider.

It's not stupid to brag about working hard.  That's basically the current definition of "hustle". 

No but bragging about shit + not being a good rapper is laughable.

why? not unless they're bragging about rap skill

Will_B

Its just the new gimmick. Rap is a very gimmicky genre of music because of the age of a lot of it's fans.  Go to a high school and you can see all the kids wearing shirts with "hater" and/or "hustler" on them when they know damn well they have to be home for dinner at 6 pm or their grounded and they never "hustled" a day in their life outside of their job at Jack in the Box. 

Its the same as in the last few decades when fans respected artists who were seen as gangsters and tough guys, now this has been replaced with rappers who are "hustlers".  In 10 yrs it will be something else, probably even stupider.

It's not stupid to brag about working hard.  That's basically the current definition of "hustle". 

What's the point in being the hardest working bad rapper?
Is that someone you'd give credit to?

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
So how did it go from that, to today where artists and fans feel obligated to say "He makin his money... he's doin his thang... I respect his hustle... " ...even if they aren't feeling the music or feel and artists is wack.   Like in the case of Lil Wayne, artists and fans that don't even like his music don't speak against him they just say... "I respect his hustle, he's getting his".
Because rappers are getting worse and worse, so since they can't compliment their music, they compliment their hustle.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!

A bad rapper to you might not be a bad rapper to somebody else. 

Will_B

Its just the new gimmick. Rap is a very gimmicky genre of music because of the age of a lot of it's fans.  Go to a high school and you can see all the kids wearing shirts with "hater" and/or "hustler" on them when they know damn well they have to be home for dinner at 6 pm or their grounded and they never "hustled" a day in their life outside of their job at Jack in the Box.  

Its the same as in the last few decades when fans respected artists who were seen as gangsters and tough guys, now this has been replaced with rappers who are "hustlers".  In 10 yrs it will be something else, probably even stupider.

It's not stupid to brag about working hard.  That's basically the current definition of "hustle".  

Yes might be.

But the argument that gets banded around about 'good music is only someones opinion' doesn't 100% hold water.
Of couse a person can have an idea about what is good and whats not - but that's a separate discussion.  

"Damn man, how can you say The Chronic is a better album than the Crazy Frog album?!?!...thats just YOUR opinion!!" :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:06:21 PM by OG Will_B »

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Yes obviously there are different opinions on music here but i think we are talking about rappers with 90 percent "hustle" and 10 percent skill getting praise for being "good hustlers" rather than getting shitted on for being bad rappers.  Not everything's relative you know, of course we have the freedom to think that way, but reality is reality.

What's the value of someone who works hard at something they're terrible at?  Lol.

Bottom line is if someone is listening to a rap song to hear someone talk about how good they are at business while simultaneously sucking at the actual art of rapping, that is laughable and the person listening is probably retarded in the brain.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:47:57 PM by Russell Bell »
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Who are these rappers?  

EDIT:  And I bring this up because I know for a fact that whoever is mentioned, there will be some quality that makes them a successful rapper. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:58:35 PM by Javier »

Triple OG Rapsodie

Would I give credit to that? No, its not really something I think about. But I don't see what's laughable about it. They're being successful.

Whether a rapper is bad or not is subjective and depends on personal preference. A lot of people would say Snoop sucks ass but yet its a big deal on this forum when he drops an album. Obviously someone must like these rappers if they're popular.

Will_B

Whether a rapper is bad or not is subjective and depends on personal preference.

Not 100%. It can be true, but not in every case.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Who are these rappers?  

EDIT:  And I bring this up because I know for a fact that whoever is mentioned, there will be some quality that makes them a successful rapper. 

Here's how i'll answer that:  If you think of a rapper in your head, and the first thing that comes to your mind is "hustler" and not "rapper (or some adjective regarding his actual skill on the mic/boards)", then he probably sucks and doesn't deserve to get credit for "hustling" a product he's no good at making.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Who are these rappers?  

Here's how i'll answer that:  If you think of a rapper in your head, and the first thing that comes to your mind is "hustler" and not "rapper (or some adjective regarding his actual skill on the mic/boards)", then he probably sucks and doesn't deserve to get credit for "hustling" a product he's no good at making.

Eh,  rappers that might be weak lyrically can put on a hell of a fucking live show. 

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Who are these rappers?  

Eh,  rappers that might be weak lyrically can put on a hell of a fucking live show. 

Ok, then he would have at least some redeemable skills as an MC.  That is different from simply being a good self promoter, etc.

BiggBoogaBiff

Dumb thread, old stereotypical baseless rhetoric.  Its sum Fox News vs Barack Obama chit in real life.

BiggBoogaBiff

This whole entire imaginary debate iz baseless becuz there`s 1000000 emcee`s doing conscience rap, there`s 1000000 emcee`s doing gangsta rap, and there`s 5000000 doing everything in between music.  Oh yeah, and there`s 1000000000 rapper`s from another day complaining about rap so that means they must be getting at something or someone and its going over all of our heads.  Im sorry but if youre man who droppd a classic in 95 who released music every 3 years that was subpar or wack then he was just never all what yu make him out 2 be in tha 1st place.  I cant believe im even giving this topic attention 4real 4real and thats coming from tha heart.

BiggBoogaBiff

Some of u old heads r so naive, conceited, and egotistical and believe that your generation can only define ``wack`` like we dont have a sense of whats wack/weak even tho we be shuttin u corny niggaz out lol.  This whole entire arguement is pointless and unfounded at that.  I hope u fools die from Bieber fever or gag to death by Lady Gaga or get set up and killed by a California Girl who looks like Katy Perry or get your throat slit and catch herpes in a Minaj by two girls that look like Nicki.