Author Topic: Why do artists/and fans today feel like they have to "respect a rappers hustle"?  (Read 2491 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Whether a rapper is bad or not is subjective and depends on personal preference.

Not 100%. It can be true, but not in every case.

Like?

Triple OG Rapsodie

Whether a rapper is bad or not is subjective and depends on personal preference.

Like?

Like Spice 1.  Everybody knows and agrees that nigga's wack.

how was your leave of absence? Looks like it didn't change your sullen outlook on life

MUHFUKKA

you know what infant for once i agree with you

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

Eddz

Rappers are probably afraid to say they don't like another artist because they'll be labeled a "hater" and in some cases will get shelved or even blackballed or dropped from the label.

Most rappers don't want tp speak out against a "Lil Wayne" cause they want him for that radio single so they can try and sell some records.

Will_B

Like?

Like? You really want me to name an example? :laugh:

1) Think of the worst rapper you know

2) compare it to a guy you rate the best out of all your years listening to rap, learning what makes rap/rappers good and forming your own educated opinion of why that guy is good, why you rate him and know (obviously) he's way better than rapper 1.

3) I'll tell you thats just YOUR opinion and they are both the same. :laugh:

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Some of u old heads r so naive, conceited, and egotistical and believe that your generation can only define ``wack`` like we dont have a sense of whats wack/weak even tho we be shuttin u corny niggaz out lol.  This whole entire arguement is pointless and unfounded at that.  I hope u fools die from Bieber fever or gag to death by Lady Gaga or get set up and killed by a California Girl who looks like Katy Perry or get your throat slit and catch herpes in a Minaj by two girls that look like Nicki.

so u turned this into a debate of old vs new? most posts were about judging talent in more black/white terms vs talent being more subjective.  who the fuck even brought that up besides u and like 1 other person?

And really, do u still buy into the 2 party system in this country?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:52:57 AM by Russell Bell »
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Raphael

you know what infant for once i agree with you

BiggBoogaBiff

But it is an ``old vs. new`` thing.  the og`s in tha game felt like they werent getting enuff respect and were being ``blackballed``, cmon son dont act like you dont know that.  Their is still a 2-party system except tha og`z r like the equivolent to tha Tea Party.  Smh, critics always wanna bitch and diss everybody and hand out their version of tha truth but they can never handle it when tha truth comes out bitin them in tha ass.  Tha proof is in this thread, thats y i dont even be paying threads like these any attention.  U got a buncha know-it-allz who cant read between tha lines and dont even know where niggaz r really from.  Sometimes i gotta sit up here and wonder do yall even listen to Rap music at all or just certain artists and you`re too gay to listen to anything new.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Who are these rappers?  

EDIT:  And I bring this up because I know for a fact that whoever is mentioned, there will be some quality that makes them a successful rapper. 

Here's how i'll answer that:  If you think of a rapper in your head, and the first thing that comes to your mind is "hustler" and not "rapper (or some adjective regarding his actual skill on the mic/boards)", then he probably sucks and doesn't deserve to get credit for "hustling" a product he's no good at making.

Eh,  rappers that might be weak lyrically can put on a hell of a fucking live show. 

Ok, then he would have at least some redeemable skills as an MC.  That is different from simply being a good self promoter, etc.

That's why I asked to start naming rappers because lots of rappers aren't  lyrical geniuses but they use other qualities to be an overall good rapper.  Some of these qualities might not just be some people's preferred style. 

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
But it is an ``old vs. new`` thing.  the og`s in tha game felt like they werent getting enuff respect and were being ``blackballed``, cmon son dont act like you dont know that.  Their is still a 2-party system except tha og`z r like the equivolent to tha Tea Party.  Smh, critics always wanna bitch and diss everybody and hand out their version of tha truth but they can never handle it when tha truth comes out bitin them in tha ass.  Tha proof is in this thread, thats y i dont even be paying threads like these any attention.  U got a buncha know-it-allz who cant read between tha lines and dont even know where niggaz r really from.  Sometimes i gotta sit up here and wonder do yall even listen to Rap music at all or just certain artists and you`re too gay to listen to anything new.

You are not understanding what is going on here.  The debate, again, is mostly about perception of talent vs. talent being more concrete or black and white.  No one here is really even making distinction between new and old, just between talent and no talent; and how much "hustling" your music should be taken seriously over the amount of talent a dude has.  You interject the new vs. old argument to pit yourself against others who in your mind don't know anything and supposedly don't have the right taste in music.  If you want to argue about that, just make a topic about it, or post in an old one which there are plenty of.

And the 2 party system is pretty much a 1 party system my friend.  Both prop up the same system while one side panders to white conservative america and the other panders to you, while simultaneously fucking all of us over.  If you want to believe in that, go ahead, but please don't vote.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:28:03 PM by Russell Bell »
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

BiggBoogaBiff

But it is an ``old vs. new`` thing.  the og`s in tha game felt like they werent getting enuff respect and were being ``blackballed``, cmon son dont act like you dont know that.  Their is still a 2-party system except tha og`z r like the equivolent to tha Tea Party.  Smh, critics always wanna bitch and diss everybody and hand out their version of tha truth but they can never handle it when tha truth comes out bitin them in tha ass.  Tha proof is in this thread, thats y i dont even be paying threads like these any attention.  U got a buncha know-it-allz who cant read between tha lines and dont even know where niggaz r really from.  Sometimes i gotta sit up here and wonder do yall even listen to Rap music at all or just certain artists and you`re too gay to listen to anything new.

You are not understanding what is going on here.  The debate, again, is mostly about perception of talent vs. talent being more concrete or black and white.  No one here is really even making distinction between new and old, just between talent and no talent; and how much "hustling" your music should be taken seriously over the amount of talent a dude has.  You interject the new vs. old argument to pit yourself against others who in your mind don't know anything and supposedly don't have the right taste in music.  If you want to argue about that, just make a topic about it, or post in an old one which there are plenty of.

And the 2 party system is pretty much a 1 party system my friend.  Both prop up the same system while one side panders to white conservative america and the other panders to you, while simultaneously fucking all of us over.  If you want to believe in that, go ahead, but please don't vote.

there's no basis for your "debate".  you're talking about "perception of talent", how is that possible for someone to have a "perception of talent" when it comes to music, what's wrong with liking something even if it's not tha best thing in tha world #feelme.  That's kinda like the great thing about Art, there is no real line, even the goofy muthafucka who made "happy dream feet" or whatever is called has a talent, his talent is making people laugh even though the dance isn't supposed to be "taking the place" of the "Electric Slide".  

someone who's a Trapper who's always talking about the grind is talking about his life becuz "hustling" has a new definition.  Look at Lil' B for example "BASEd God", "Let That Boy Cook", that chit wasn't about cooking up actual cocaine at all, it was just a methaphor.  

And u failed with tha whole "new vs. old" thing tryna flip tha script when the thread is called "Why do artists/and fans TODAY feel like they have to "respect a rappers hustle"?"  So it is a 2party system becuz there's still alotta wannabe Hip Hop conasuers or whatever they wanna call themselves that'r still lost in tha sauce about this game.  

I remember back in the day when I was a kid listening to hip-hop all artists and fans were highly opinionated.  Remember reading the fans comments section at the front of the Source back in the day?  Even respected big-name artists like Dre, Snoop, Nas caught hell back in those times from fans and fellow artists.  The game was way more competitive.  

Listen to Common's track "I Used To Love Her" and he disses the fuck out of West Coast rap and rappers (and then likewise WSC response record).   Then on the other side you had "New York, New York" with Snoop and making fun of the East Coast at the beggining of the track "what up god..yo I got mad skillz" and kickin down buildings and ofcourse the legendary 2pac beefs everybody knows about those I don't have to mention it.  But you also had even East Coast crews dissin other East Coast crews skills, like Boot Camp dissin Biggie, and Biggie even said back then that the game was wack and that he only listened to himself and Junior Mafia....

So how did it go from that, to today where artists and fans feel obligated to say "He makin his money... he's doin his thang... I respect his hustle... " ...even if they aren't feeling the music or feel and artists is wack.   Like in the case of Lil Wayne, artists and fans that don't even like his music don't speak against him they just say... "I respect his hustle, he's getting his".
::)

is there anything else you'd like to say Russell?

Will_B

But it is an ``old vs. new`` thing.  the og`s in tha game felt like they werent getting enuff respect and were being ``blackballed``, cmon son dont act like you dont know that.  Their is still a 2-party system except tha og`z r like the equivolent to tha Tea Party.  Smh, critics always wanna bitch and diss everybody and hand out their version of tha truth but they can never handle it when tha truth comes out bitin them in tha ass.  Tha proof is in this thread, thats y i dont even be paying threads like these any attention.  U got a buncha know-it-allz who cant read between tha lines and dont even know where niggaz r really from.  Sometimes i gotta sit up here and wonder do yall even listen to Rap music at all or just certain artists and you`re too gay to listen to anything new.

You are not understanding what is going on here.  The debate, again, is mostly about perception of talent vs. talent being more concrete or black and white.  No one here is really even making distinction between new and old, just between talent and no talent; and how much "hustling" your music should be taken seriously over the amount of talent a dude has.  You interject the new vs. old argument to pit yourself against others who in your mind don't know anything and supposedly don't have the right taste in music.  If you want to argue about that, just make a topic about it, or post in an old one which there are plenty of.

And the 2 party system is pretty much a 1 party system my friend.  Both prop up the same system while one side panders to white conservative america and the other panders to you, while simultaneously fucking all of us over.  If you want to believe in that, go ahead, but please don't vote.

there's no basis for your "debate".  you're talking about "perception of talent", how is that possible for someone to have a "perception of talent" when it comes to music, what's wrong with liking something even if it's not tha best thing in tha world #feelme.  That's kinda like the great thing about Art, there is no real line, even the goofy muthafucka who made "happy dream feet" or whatever is called has a talent, his talent is making people laugh even though the dance isn't supposed to be "taking the place" of the "Electric Slide".  

someone who's a Trapper who's always talking about the grind is talking about his life becuz "hustling" has a new definition.  Look at Lil' B for example "BASEd God", "Let That Boy Cook", that chit wasn't about cooking up actual cocaine at all, it was just a methaphor.  

And u failed with tha whole "new vs. old" thing tryna flip tha script when the thread is called "Why do artists/and fans TODAY feel like they have to "respect a rappers hustle"?"  So it is a 2party system becuz there's still alotta wannabe Hip Hop conasuers or whatever they wanna call themselves that'r still lost in tha sauce about this game.  

I remember back in the day when I was a kid listening to hip-hop all artists and fans were highly opinionated.  Remember reading the fans comments section at the front of the Source back in the day?  Even respected big-name artists like Dre, Snoop, Nas caught hell back in those times from fans and fellow artists.  The game was way more competitive.  

Listen to Common's track "I Used To Love Her" and he disses the fuck out of West Coast rap and rappers (and then likewise WSC response record).   Then on the other side you had "New York, New York" with Snoop and making fun of the East Coast at the beggining of the track "what up god..yo I got mad skillz" and kickin down buildings and ofcourse the legendary 2pac beefs everybody knows about those I don't have to mention it.  But you also had even East Coast crews dissin other East Coast crews skills, like Boot Camp dissin Biggie, and Biggie even said back then that the game was wack and that he only listened to himself and Junior Mafia....

So how did it go from that, to today where artists and fans feel obligated to say "He makin his money... he's doin his thang... I respect his hustle... " ...even if they aren't feeling the music or feel and artists is wack.   Like in the case of Lil Wayne, artists and fans that don't even like his music don't speak against him they just say... "I respect his hustle, he's getting his".
::)

is there anything else you'd like to say Russell?

Damn you talk such chit dreamboy. ;D

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before

But there was a a lot of real life violence and stupidity associated with that era. I think a lot of it might have to do with a reaction, conscious or not, to the bad things that happened with all that high profile dissing. Not that there hasn't been high profile battles since the murders, but even then they werecoated with mutual respect. Even Eminem would call guys like Puffy for a J-Lo remark in a highly satirical reference just to make sure it was cool.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

But there was a a lot of real life violence and stupidity associated with that era. I think a lot of it might have to do with a reaction, conscious or not, to the bad things that happened with all that high profile dissing. Not that there hasn't been high profile battles since the murders, but even then they werecoated with mutual respect. Even Eminem would call guys like Puffy for a J-Lo remark in a highly satirical reference just to make sure it was cool.

Yeah I get your point, because originally when Dre left Death Row in 96' and he came out saying good things about Biggie like "Biggies probably sittin up in a Sauna with his bitch and a bottle of Henney laughin at all these people dissing him", I actually looked up to Dre for being mature and standing up against the East/West beef.   

But now that the quality of music has deteriorated so drastically from that era, I miss 2pac even more and wish the rap game would be more competitive again.  So I guess a best of both worlds scenario would be the late 80's era when rappers were highly critical but battlin' back then was actually an instrument used to avoid violence rather than feed into it.   You had all these gangs in the Bronx New York B-Boy battlin or rap/DJ battlin when before they were beefin with violence.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Your favorite posters favorite poster

You had all these gangs in the Bronx New York B-Boy battlin or rap/DJ battlin when before they were beefin with violence.
Just stfu already.  Jesus fucking christ you're a fuckin moron.  Yup in NYC in the late 70's till the early to mid 80's beef was settled in the Bronx with breaking and DJ'ing.  Tell that to all the families that lost loved ones due to one of NYC's most violent era's.  Just stfu up you fucking moron.  I pray to God that whoever your ex wife chooses as her next husband raises your son so he can have a decent male role model in his life.