Author Topic: Why do artists/and fans today feel like they have to "respect a rappers hustle"?  (Read 2527 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

I noticed this when rappers really started going overboard with the popped out singles, and songs where these so called gangstas were singing love songs and re-enacting scenes from Grease in their videos.

You then had people excusing it with shit like "He's going for kiddy/female fanbase, I ain't mad, I respect his hustle".  So right there, you know that person isn't really about the music, they are about the image that has been pounded into their head, which is get money any way you can.  Even if that means getting fucked in the ass and engaging in satanic worship, or dressing like a woman on tv or a movie.  Fuck it, BE A HUSTLER.  So what if these dudes are getting pink socks from old jewish label heads, I RESPECT THEIR HUSTLE.

But 90s gangsta rappers were also about portraying an image. From a realistic perspective, what makes a hardcore gangbanger any more qualified to make music than someone kid friendly? Like you said, its "about the music." Before rap, you had weirdos like Prince and Rick James putting out classic music.

If anything, I applaud these new rappers for breaking stereotypes, even if I think its corny. Other music genres have never had to portray a certain image to be cool, so for hip hop to be a serious music genre, this whole street/thug image needs to be done away with.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
But it is an ``old vs. new`` thing.  the og`s in tha game felt like they werent getting enuff respect and were being ``blackballed``, cmon son dont act like you dont know that.  Their is still a 2-party system except tha og`z r like the equivolent to tha Tea Party.  Smh, critics always wanna bitch and diss everybody and hand out their version of tha truth but they can never handle it when tha truth comes out bitin them in tha ass.  Tha proof is in this thread, thats y i dont even be paying threads like these any attention.  U got a buncha know-it-allz who cant read between tha lines and dont even know where niggaz r really from.  Sometimes i gotta sit up here and wonder do yall even listen to Rap music at all or just certain artists and you`re too gay to listen to anything new.

I know this isnt exactly on the thread topic, but its a thought that just popped into my head.  Why do you demonize the tea party, when the father of the tea party, Ron Paul, would end the war on drugs that has placed so many of your fellow black folks in prisons, ruined families, perpetuated a never ending cycle of poverty and prison, and turned ghettos into war zones?  Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.  Thats what I mean about u buying into a 2 party system where they have conditioned you to hate 1 side and like the other, using the race card and other tactics.  Now tell me how im wrong on that 1?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:07:18 PM by Russell Bell »
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

BiggBoogaBiff

But it is an ``old vs. new`` thing.  the og`s in tha game felt like they werent getting enuff respect and were being ``blackballed``, cmon son dont act like you dont know that.  Their is still a 2-party system except tha og`z r like the equivolent to tha Tea Party.  Smh, critics always wanna bitch and diss everybody and hand out their version of tha truth but they can never handle it when tha truth comes out bitin them in tha ass.  Tha proof is in this thread, thats y i dont even be paying threads like these any attention.  U got a buncha know-it-allz who cant read between tha lines and dont even know where niggaz r really from.  Sometimes i gotta sit up here and wonder do yall even listen to Rap music at all or just certain artists and you`re too gay to listen to anything new.

I know this isnt exactly on the thread topic, but its a thought that just popped into my head.  Why do you demonize the tea party, when the father of the tea party, Ron Paul, would end the war on drugs that has placed so many of your fellow black folks in prisons, ruined families, perpetuated a never ending cycle of poverty and prison, and turned ghettos into war zones?  Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.  Thats what I mean about u buying into a 2 party system where they have conditioned you to hate 1 side and like the other, using the race card and other tactics.  Now tell me how im wrong on that 1?

in real life i betchu' that u didn't know i am a registered Republican and I was always leaning towards that side (for the most part) before Obama ran for President; still doesn't mean I'm voting Republican this upcoming election and I didn't for tha last 1 either.  true story...

BiggBoogaBiff

Damn, you guys really want to take the fun away from hip hop.  

that's really all whut it'z about.  all this crying is coming from mid-30 year old+ men who have jobs and families to take care of and forgot what fun is.  that's why i frowned my face everytime someone said that they hated "teach me how to dougie"...  people like this go 2 strip clubs and don't even bob their head to tha music and have fun, they're so soar in tha ass from whatever that sometimes they miss the whole point of being there (besides lookin at buttholes all day)

they're bitter old men; either that or they're just fuckin' with us...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:00:16 PM by Cousin Bang »

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!

in real life i betchu' that u didn't know i am a registered Republican and I was always leaning towards that side (for the most part) before Obama ran for President; still doesn't mean I'm voting Republican this upcoming election and I didn't for tha last 1 either.  true story...

Had no idea u were a registered republican, im a decline to state btw

As far as the "fun music" thing goes i think that there has always and will always be a rift between generations musically.  Same thing in the 70s, 80s, etc.  But to paint everyone who doesnt like Waka or trap rap as not wanting to have fun is ridiculous, I myself like several new artists and hate several new artists.  I think drake is trash and his fake southern accent and corny one liners makes me laugh at him and wonder how anyone could like something so low brow and simultaneously non satirical.  I think Tyler the Creator makes good music that you can vibe to and has a good aggressive edge to its lyrics while having original and musical beats.  You get my point.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:55:58 PM by Russell Bell »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I noticed this when rappers really started going overboard with the popped out singles, and songs where these so called gangstas were singing love songs and re-enacting scenes from Grease in their videos.

You then had people excusing it with shit like "He's going for kiddy/female fanbase, I ain't mad, I respect his hustle".  So right there, you know that person isn't really about the music, they are about the image that has been pounded into their head, which is get money any way you can.  Even if that means getting fucked in the ass and engaging in satanic worship, or dressing like a woman on tv or a movie.  Fuck it, BE A HUSTLER.  So what if these dudes are getting pink socks from old jewish label heads, I RESPECT THEIR HUSTLE.

But 90s gangsta rappers were also about portraying an image. From a realistic perspective, what makes a hardcore gangbanger any more qualified to make music than someone kid friendly? Like you said, its "about the music." Before rap, you had weirdos like Prince and Rick James putting out classic music.

If anything, I applaud these new rappers for breaking stereotypes, even if I think its corny. Other music genres have never had to portray a certain image to be cool, so for hip hop to be a serious music genre, this whole street/thug image needs to be done away with.

I think your talking about a different subject right now.   I don't remember when Snoop first came out and gangsta rap was blowing up, I don't remember his video coming on and the first words out of every mutherfuckers mouth being "He Got Money... Damn, Snoop Got Money... You Got To Respect Snoop's Hustle".    

Hell no... what I remember is being a kid and being at basketball camp and all the older highschool kids wanting to put on stocking caps like Snoop and everybody throwing around his catch phrases like "Bow Wow Wow Yipee Yo Yipee Yeah" or talking about what they saw in one of his videos. How dope his songs were.  But wasn't nobody thinking about "Damn, Snoop got money... I respect his hustle".   And people that didn't like him, artists/fans/critics dissed gangsta rap all the time.  Nobody said, "Ohh wait, we can't diss these West Coast rappers, we got to respect their hustle.  I like them because they got money!"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:36:55 AM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!

You then had people excusing it with shit like "He's going for kiddy/female fanbase, I ain't mad, I respect his hustle".  So right there, you know that person isn't really about the music, they are about the image that has been pounded into their head, which is get money any way you can.  Even if that means getting fucked in the ass and engaging in satanic worship, or dressing like a woman on tv or a movie.  Fuck it, BE A HUSTLER.  So what if these dudes are getting pink socks from old jewish label heads, I RESPECT THEIR HUSTLE.

I think your talking about a different subject right now.   I don't remember when Snoop first came out and gangsta rap was blowing up, I don't remember his video coming on and the first words out of every mutherfuckers mouth being "He Got Money... Damn, Snoop Got Money... You Got To Respect Snoop's Hustle".   

Hell no... what I remember is being a kid and being at basketball camp and all the older highschool kids wanting to put on stocking caps like Snoop and everybody throwing around his catch phrases like "Bow Wow Wow Yipee Yo Yipee Yeah" or talking about what they saw in one of his videos. How dope his songs were.  But wasn't nobody thinking about "Damn, Snoop got money... I respect his hustle".   And people that didn't like him, artists/fans/critics dissed gangsta rap all the time.  Nobody said, "Ohh wait, we can't diss these West Coast rappers, we got to respect their hustle.  I like them because they got money!"

You gotta take into consideration what was going on at the time.  The WestCoast East Coast beef was huge and affected people's opinions on things.  If you were a 2pac/Death Row fan, you wouldn't just not like an artist....you would hate them with a passion.  I know older dudes from L.A. that still don't like Biggie for that reason.  And right now people aren't going around saying they like an artist because they have money. That's like saying people like Michael Bay movies because they make a lot of money. 

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I think your talking about a different subject right now.   I don't remember when Snoop first came out and gangsta rap was blowing up, I don't remember his video coming on and the first words out of every mutherfuckers mouth being "He Got Money... Damn, Snoop Got Money... You Got To Respect Snoop's Hustle".   

Hell no... what I remember is being a kid and being at basketball camp and all the older highschool kids wanting to put on stocking caps like Snoop and everybody throwing around his catch phrases like "Bow Wow Wow Yipee Yo Yipee Yeah" or talking about what they saw in one of his videos. How dope his songs were.  But wasn't nobody thinking about "Damn, Snoop got money... I respect his hustle".   And people that didn't like him, artists/fans/critics dissed gangsta rap all the time.  Nobody said, "Ohh wait, we can't diss these West Coast rappers, we got to respect their hustle.  I like them because they got money!"

You gotta take into consideration what was going on at the time.  The WestCoast East Coast beef was huge and affected people's opinions on things.  If you were a 2pac/Death Row fan, you wouldn't just not like an artist....you would hate them with a passion.  I know older dudes from L.A. that still don't like Biggie for that reason.  And right now people aren't going around saying they like an artist because they have money. That's like saying people like Michael Bay movies because they make a lot of money. 

People saying that about michael bay would be stupid, and thats why its stupid when fellow artists/fans say that shit about rappers.  What i think everyone can agree on, is that rap has become about the perception of money.  Im not bashing artists for getting finances in order, Im saying its about artists showing off what money they supposedly have, what car they got, etc.  Its ok to talk about that shit, but u know its really gone overboard when u got grown men bragging about their gucci man purses in verses.  And even though most of them are lying, fans on internet boards are naive enough to believe the shit or at least not wanna be seen as a "hater" and say "well he a hustler man, good for him" (again, look at all the hater shirts:  i love haters, dont hate, etc.  People have taken the persona of these lyin ass rappers).  No, not good for him, good for him when and if he puts out good music (and i dont mean music that isnt fun, or music that will make you ponder your life, i just mean good music that doesnt sound like it was made on a 1996 casio keyboard in some dude's moms basement with lyrics written by an autistic 9 yr old).

Its the EXACT same shit that happened in the 90s when the dogg pound/snoop/gangster rappers in general were popular and u had people wearing blue or bandannas or trying to emulate gang members.  Fuckin stupid back then, fuckin stupid now!  So the argument that everyone taking this side is simply talking shit on today's crop of genius and ever talented rap artists is complete bullshit.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:27:17 PM by Russell Bell »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!

People saying that about michael bay would be stupid, and thats why its stupid when fellow artists/fans say that shit about rappers.  What i think everyone can agree on, is that rap has become about money.  Im not bashing artists for getting finances in order, Im saying its about artists showing off what money they supposedly have.  And even though most of them are lying, fans on internet boards are naive enough to believe the shit or at least not wanna be seen as a "hater" and say "well he a hustler man, good for him".  No, not good for him, good for him when and if he puts out good music (and i dont mean music that isnt fun, or music that will make you ponder your life, i just mean good music).

Right, but people still enjoy Michael Bay movies.  They're not the greatest, but some people still find some entertainment out of them. And people actually do say, his movies suck but they somehow reach an audience.  Even what we consider shitty music, it might have an audience for it.  So yeah, good for that artists to find an audience.  I'm not going to be sitting here and analyzing why people like crap.  And let's take a look at Big K.R.I.T.'s rise to success, he's released a mixtape per year for the last 4 years now.  It's all self-produced and he raps on all the songs.  That's hustling right there.  And putting music aside, he's worked hard enough to make a living doing what he loves.  So yeah, I can picture somebody that doesn't like southern rap to say, "hmm Big KRIT, don't really like him but props to him". 

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!

People saying that about michael bay would be stupid, and thats why its stupid when fellow artists/fans say that shit about rappers.  What i think everyone can agree on, is that rap has become about money.  Im not bashing artists for getting finances in order, Im saying its about artists showing off what money they supposedly have.  And even though most of them are lying, fans on internet boards are naive enough to believe the shit or at least not wanna be seen as a "hater" and say "well he a hustler man, good for him".  No, not good for him, good for him when and if he puts out good music (and i dont mean music that isnt fun, or music that will make you ponder your life, i just mean good music).

Right, but people still enjoy Michael Bay movies.  They're not the greatest, but some people still find some entertainment out of them. And people actually do say, his movies suck but they somehow reach an audience.  Even what we consider shitty music, it might have an audience for it.  So yeah, good for that artists to find an audience.  I'm not going to be sitting here and analyzing why people like crap.  And let's take a look at Big K.R.I.T.'s rise to success, he's released a mixtape per year for the last 4 years now.  It's all self-produced and he raps on all the songs.  That's hustling right there.  And putting music aside, he's worked hard enough to make a living doing what he loves.  So yeah, I can picture somebody that doesn't like southern rap to say, "hmm Big KRIT, don't really like him but props to him". 

Big krit has talent.  I think even someone who doesnt like his music would have to admit that.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Big krit has talent.  I think even someone who doesnt like his music would have to admit that.

I respect Soulja Boy for reaching an audience. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I'll take it a step further, he's a hip hop pioneer. 

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I'll take it a step further, he's a hip hop pioneer. 

Right, but in what direction is he pioneering?

Is he encouraging good music, or quickly made throw away ring tone thrown together noises?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:50:31 PM by Russell Bell »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
He encouraged new artists to use the internet and make it on their own.  He made his own hype. His influence is already out there with OFWGKTA.  It's now common for an artist to first have a self-released album/mixtape with home made youtube videos for singles. 

G-Bee

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Vrije jongen
If the hustle is so important to some of you, why don't you big up the ones that do it best? The people at Sony, Interscope, etc. They got the hustle down in a major way, not on some bullshit level like Soulja Boy. Don't know how it benefits the music or HipHop in general, but that is not a priority here is it?