Author Topic: Why do artists/and fans today feel like they have to "respect a rappers hustle"?  (Read 2520 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

I'll take it a step further, he's a hip hop pioneer. 

Right, but in what direction is he pioneering?

Is he encouraging good music, or quickly made throw away ring tone thrown together noises?

There is no universal definition of "good music"

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
If the hustle is so important to some of you, why don't you big up the ones that do it best? The people at Sony, Interscope, etc. They got the hustle down in a major way, not on some bullshit level like Soulja Boy. Don't know how it benefits the music or HipHop in general, but that is not a priority here is it?

A DIY rapper getting popular is helpful though.  We've only begun seeing the influence. How is it not beneficial for a rapper to show that you can make it on your own via the internet?  This opens up the field for everybody!  It's the biggest fuck you to the music industry today since Napster.   Eventually we're going to see a DIY rapper that is extremely talented and will be the face of hip hop.  And is loved by many.  I'll speak for myself, but nowhere did I imply that hustle is that important.

Will_B

Is he encouraging good music, or quickly made throw away ring tone thrown together noises?

So?

You must unlearn what you have learned.

We can safely say any Gershwin song will beat Britney Spears.

Just because there is no definition doesn't mean you can't work it out for yourself..

BiggBoogaBiff

This thread`s entire dialog makes n o s e n s e !

Triple OG Rapsodie

So?

Just because there is no definition doesn't mean you can't work it out for yourself..

Wrong. You must unlearn what you have learned. A pop diva you were conditioned to despise as a kid isn't necessarily bad.

A lot of people think Dr. Dre's music is pure trash. Simple ass lyrics that promote violence and negativity over repetitive beats that are too loud and which he stole from other sources. Me and others on this forum would disagree of course. Who is right?

Will_B

So?

Wrong. You must unlearn what you have learned. A pop diva you were conditioned to despise as a kid isn't necessarily bad.

A lot of people think Dr. Dre's music is pure trash. Simple ass lyrics that promote violence and negativity over repetitive beats that are too loud and which he stole from other sources. Me and others on this forum would disagree of course. Who is right?

What the fuck ;D

So you're disagreeing meaning Brtiney Spears 'who isn't necessarily bad' has no worse output than Gershwin.

Buddy this whole philosophy of 'perception of talent' you live by is not definitive.

One can argue the subject of who's better Dre or Snoop but some artsits aren't on the same page. Full stop.

BiggBoogaBiff

So?

What the fuck ;D

So you're disagreeing meaning Brtiney Spears 'who isn't necessarily bad' has no worse output than Gershwin.

Buddy this whole philosophy of 'perception of talent' you live by is not definitive.

One can argue the subject of who's better Dre or Snoop but some artsits aren't on the same page. Full stop.

son shut tha fuck up (will)... god dam stop antagonizing niggaz and catch a hobby.  u niggaz look mad pathetic out here.  out here tryna argue with ppl who don't know u about some shit OBVIOUSLY you're too dumb to get and too blind to see.  act your age homie.  u niggaz be lookin' sad in real life and i mean that on my life in real life.  

chit is like trying to train a dog to do your laundry foreal foreal.  it's like trying to make a Duck do taxes, it's like tryna make chitlins smell good, it's like eating 3 Big Macs back to back and not shit...  your analogies and questions have shit to do with chit smh

i nominate this as worst thread of the year.  this is what happens when white people wanna start voicing their opinions on hip hop...  this whole debate is fuckin silly.  u wanna stay playin your chit from 94' then by all means go 4 it noone's gonna stop u otherwise hop off nutz and catch up with tha marathon.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/0tsexT_r8Fk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/0tsexT_r8Fk</a> listen... no seriously soak it up, like foreal
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:42:54 AM by Cousin Bang »

Will_B

son shut tha fuck up (will)... god dam stop antagonizing niggaz and catch a hobby.  u niggaz look mad pathetic out here.  out here tryna argue with ppl who don't know u about some shit OBVIOUSLY you're too dumb to get and too blind to see.  act your age homie.  u niggaz be lookin' sad in real life and i mean that on my life in real life.  

chit is like trying to train a dog to do your laundry foreal foreal.  your analogies and questions have shit to do with chit smh

i nominate this as worst thread of the year.  this is what happens when white people wanna start voicing their opinions on hip hop...  this whole debate is fuckin silly.  u wanna stay playin your chit from 94' then by all means go 4 it noone's gonna stop u otherwise hop off nutz and catch up with tha marathon.

Son for a start old whitey here don't understand half of what you type. ;D

I ain't voicing shit about my opinions on hiphop so stfu bout that.

I'm saying (the obvious) people can have talent but ability comes into it too.

You'd pay money to go see some fool play chopsticks at a concert hall?
Because a concert pianist is no better than him and its all down to the listeners perception?

Give me a break ;D

Triple OG Rapsodie

So?

What the fuck ;D

I just told you there's no universal perspective of what makes something good. Are you asking for my opinion? I happen to like some of Gershwin's pieces and I don't like Britney spears so no I'd agree with you.

You're dodging the question. Is Dr. Dre a good producer, or is he trash? I'm telling you there's no single answer. Many people think he has no talent. Personally, I grew up on his music. He got me into hip hop. I love Dr. Dre, and I could get into heated arguments with said people, but at the end of the day there's no universal law about the quality of music. The sky is blue is fact. [insert artist] is good/bad is opinion. You're confusing the two.

Triple OG Rapsodie

btw since you're talking about classical music (which is weird when the subject is rap), some of these composers were shit on in their time and only became appreciated later on. The same holds true for any other form of art. Obviously this suggests that changing social attitudes also play a role. I wouldn't be surprised if years from now Britney Spears is a legend.

Will_B

It's not about confusing the two (extremes).

You can develop an ear for good music like a singer can learn pitch. or a percussionist rhythm. How a DJ learns the best tracks, what go together and how to mix them on the beat.

You mention Dre. We all know Dre doesn't play all the instruments and write raps, but how does he make the hits....he has an ear for talent, for what sounds good. He's a master of that. Anyone could argue gangsta rap is trash just based on lyrical content, but I've never heard anyone say Damn that Cali Love instro is WEAK.

Dre got an ear for it and anyone can too.

BiggBoogaBiff

Will if you`re saying that today`s music has way more garbage than it had yesterday then u dont have a good ear 4 music.  And u understand whut im saying and spice is saying, u just wana act like that.  U need a gurl son, if u cant get 1 of those rite now then get a new hobby.  You`re arguing about clearly something your not all that knowlegable about on a broad spectrum with dudes u dont know in tha early morning.  If i waz to show u a video recording of yourself live rite now u`d be flabbergasted at urself.  We kno wat ur saying but YOU ARE MISSING THA BIGGER PICTURE AS IN UR MISSING A COUPLE OF THA FACTS.  Go out and get a beer or sumthing, its alittle after 12 towards tha Eastcoast

BiggBoogaBiff

Its ppl like yall who give tha culture a bad look and progress tha isolation and neglagence of it, not tha youth who grew up with tha same music you and i had and more and tomorrow`s music aswell...  Im so mad at u niggaz rite now, Kelis-Get tha police-help there`s no peace-Take me to tha beach so i can die and rest in peace!, smh

Will_B

I'm not saying there's no good music out there now.

You need to get away from that old vs. new agenda an acting like "pops can't tell me what to like" n slamming doors n shit.

Tell me those 2 facts I'm missing then RadioTube.

I'm ready ;D

Triple OG Rapsodie

It's not about confusing the two (extremes).

You can develop an ear for good music like a singer can learn pitch. or a percussionist rhythm. How a DJ learns the best tracks, what go together and how to mix them on the beat.

You mention Dre. We all know Dre doesn't play all the instruments and write raps, but how does he make the hits....he has an ear for talent, for what sounds good. He's a master of that. Anyone could argue gangsta rap is trash just based on lyrical content, but I've never heard anyone say Damn that Cali Love instro is WEAK.

Dre got an ear for it and anyone can too.

Actually there's a lot of people who wouldn't feel the instrumental. Dre's beats aren't for everyone. And without lyrics over them they're even more repetitive. Not to mention the fact that Dre didn't come up with the instrumental. It was sampled from a song.

Its a club anthem. What makes Cali Love a better instrumental than Crank Dat? OUR OPINION.