Author Topic: Why do artists/and fans today feel like they have to "respect a rappers hustle"?  (Read 2523 times)

Will_B

It's not about confusing the two (extremes).

You can develop an ear for good music like a singer can learn pitch. or a percussionist rhythm. How a DJ learns the best tracks, what go together and how to mix them on the beat.

You mention Dre. We all know Dre doesn't play all the instruments and write raps, but how does he make the hits....he has an ear for talent, for what sounds good. He's a master of that. Anyone could argue gangsta rap is trash just based on lyrical content, but I've never heard anyone say Damn that Cali Love instro is WEAK.

Dre got an ear for it and anyone can too.

Actually there's a lot of people who wouldn't feel the instrumental. Dre's beats aren't for everyone. And without lyrics over them they're even more repetitive. Not to mention the fact that Dre didn't come up with the instrumental. It was sampled from a song.

Its a club anthem. What makes Cali Love a better instrumental than Crank Dat? OUR OPINION.

Interesting comparison.

I'll tell you a story. In 1996 I was in a music store in foggy London Town, and heard Cali Love for the very first time. What did I do? I went and bought it, took it home and bumped the fuck out of it. 15 years later (DAMN!) I'm still kickin back to it and enjoying the hell out of it.

In 2007 I heard Crank Dat on music TV or whatever and I was like damn that shits fresh, I went out to a store (yes I still support new music RadioTube) and bought Souljaboytellem.com ... took it home bumped it 1 or 2 times then when the gimmick had warn off I took it back to the place I bought it and got my $10 back ;D

Can I say one is better than the other? Yes.

If you want me to compare something accomplished like Dinner and a Movie with Techniec's Blacklist I'd have no clear answer for you.

G-Bee

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Vrije jongen
Okay, let's put it this way: Some music is made for money and/or fame, while some music is made from the heart. Yes, people like different songs, but if the artist is only about the hustle, something will always be missing from the music.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

hmm..
universal law?
everythin is subjective. no blueprints to define what is best or better. same thing wit women and movies.

i dont look at dudes funny cuz they like souljaboytelle.com better than "the chronic". i understand where they comi from, -
n that his or her generation is accustomed to Mr ColliParks style of music/niche.

i do believe, u can compare talent - as in Soulja Boy VS Dr. Dre per say.
but havin great talent doesnt equal better music.

look at Lil B - artisticaly n musicaly, no talent at all. but i download all the new songs wit him, n id rather listen to him nowadays than Chino XL or Kool G Rap.
he makes enetrtainin music.

feel me?

Will_B

hmm..
universal law?
everythin is subjective. no blueprints to define what is best or better. same thing wit women and movies.

Lol @ like women.

Hardly the same. That's like arguing which sunset is better or which river sounds more peaceful..

Movies are no different than music.
No one can say Apocalyps Now is no better than The Hottie & the Nottie. ;D

There are good movies and there are straight out bad ones.

hmm..
universal law?

Lol @ like women.

Hardly the same. That's like arguing which sunset is better or which river sounds more peaceful..

^
damn..

no offense, but ur kinda stupid.
all good bro,
i respect ur hustle... *smeer*

Will_B

hmm..
universal law?

Lol @ like women.

^
damn..

all good bro,

No worries mate I think you live in the clouds too. :pimp:

It seems by you guys definition, anyone can be a credible artist by just 'having a go'

Thats kind of cute. :love2:

I think I might record a single...I've never rapped before but if someone doesn't like it...well that's just their opinion! :laugh:

BiggBoogaBiff

U have a narrow minded view of what is and what isnt.  Opinions are assholes and blah blah blah but facts r concrete, i mean u dont hear tha yungins ridin down tha street singin ``papa was a rollin stone``.  Truthfully and this is from tha heart, i mean no disrespect but its like i was telln this chick tha uther day, ``some ppl are just dumb as shit and dont know it``.  Now thats kinda like what my man Bill Maher said tha uther week about Racist but just without tha sarcasm and i had thought of my analogy 1st.

BiggBoogaBiff

And props 4 atleast checkin out Soulja Boy`s record and not just immediately disregaurding it, in a way that was kinda mature on your part and u admitted too, kudoz 2 u...even tho i kinda dont believe u.  But anyways this thread should be lockd or deleted.

Will_B

Lol @ RadioTube comin in with the vets POV

Sorry this thread needs putting to sleep...it's for the best :laugh:

Btw funny how you're still comin with this old vs new angle.
Seems you don't take in what others are saying :-* :-* :-*

hmm..
universal law?

Lol @ like women.

^
damn..

all good bro,

No worries mate I think you live in the clouds too. :pimp:

It seems by you guys definition, anyone can be a credible artist by just 'having a go'

Thats kind of cute. :love2:

I think I might record a single...I've never rapped before but if someone doesn't like it...well that's just their opinion! :laugh:

???

u dont have to b the most talented dude in the world, to record a decent/great song.
talent is somethin else.
its the finished product that matter, not the skills.

Uwe Boll is a bad movie-director, but some of his moives were awesome.
Lil B is wack, but he makes entertaining music.

it all comes down to -- "subjectivty". look it up

ur sufferin from napoleon-syndrome if u think ur opinions weigh more than others..
u can't catagerosize "bad" n "good" music factually, crackboy

Will_B

u dont have to b the most talented dude in the world, to record a decent/great song.
talent is somethin else.
its the finished product that matter, not the skills.

Hmmm so rappers don't need to worry about being skilled huh? Funny a lot of them will practice things like breathing, pronunciation, flow, mic control, timing etc. etc.
Time wasted I guess!

ur sufferin from napoleon-syndrome if u think ur opinions weigh more than others..
u can't catagerosize "bad" n "good" music factually, crackboy

Actually if you read between the lines of what I've been saying, I'm NOT saying my opinions are worth more than others, I'm saying others opinions are worth more than they think. :kiss2:

So You'll be happy if I say of all the years you've been listening to music your opinion as to what is good counts for absolutely nothing?

You didn't learn anything? Would never recommend what you felt was good music to a friend?

By yours and others definition we can all sing happy birthday as children, so we must be just as good as Pavarotti!
Who were those people that said he was a great?!
Damn those Napoleon types! ;D

i only recommend music to ppl - when i know it is the type of music he or she would/could like.
what isnt my cup of tea might not be "wack or "bad per say, n i accept that (as should u) :)
---------------
rappers dont have to be skilled to make a great/decent song.
Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer did classic songs. and they're both wack as "mc's/lyricists" and/or "rappers" (well, at least - Vanilla could flow)

in fact, the un-talented rappers - r usually the ones who can skillfully cater to the oposition wit catchy n digestable song-orchestation.
------------
huh?  ???
"singin good as Pavarotti/children"-whooptywhoop doesnt validate anythin to me.  ur low on ammo, son
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:15:47 PM by Michael Madsen »

Will_B

in fact, the un-talented rappers - r usually the ones who can skillfully cater to the oposition wit catchy n digestable song-orchestation.

So untalented (your observation) rappers can make catchy tracks (also your observation).

So you can sense talent (or lack of it) and what makes a good/catchy/hit track.

Or you still think thats not possible?
When did you develop this subconscious(?) ability to appreciate the strengths of one song over another?
Next you'll be saying Yes I think it's good! :laugh:

BiggBoogaBiff

just give it up Will you're making a Fail of yourself right now... in real life

So untalented (your observation) rappers can make catchy tracks (also your observation).

So you can sense talent (or lack of it) and what makes a good/catchy/hit track.

Or you still think thats not possible?
When did you develop this subconscious(?) ability to appreciate the strengths of one song over another?
Next you'll be saying Yes I think it's good! :laugh:

the example wit Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer solidifes it as genuine, donchathink?
have u ever met anybody who like really really, hated on "cant touch this", n knocked it as a Top25-hiphop song? nah..
its a fuckin classic.

have u ever met anybody who hailed MC Hammer as a Top25-mc? nah

like i said,
u dont have to be super talented to create soethin great/decent. specially not in Hiphop..
if u have a good studio-engineer, neat production and recordin in protools, u can come up wit anythin..

u can be horrible movie-director (like Uwe Boll), but wit the right script, actors, scenes u can come up wit somethin decent
  finished prorudct is what it all comes down 2, right?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:50:40 AM by Michael Madsen »