Author Topic: Laylaw Discusses His History With Dr. Dre, 2Pac, Ghost-Producing Cali Love Remix  (Read 2189 times)

Cross Em Out

• 'G'
Exclusive: The veteran west coast consigliore tells DX about Dr. Dre�(TM)s early days, his upcoming box set audio-biography and says "Fuck Jerry Heller."

You know you have been in the Rap game a long time when your earliest memories of Dr. Dre are not of a globally-known producer, but of a local b-boy.
Recalling Dr. Dre The Teenager

“I been knowing Dre since like ’80, ’81,” recalled Laylaw recently to HipHopDX of the two future producer’s initial South Central connection. “I stayed down the street from his cousin, on 76th Street, right across the street from Fremont [High School]. I played football for Fremont… and [Dre] would dance at halftime with some other brothers, some pop-locker dudes.”

“We was aware of each other,” he continued, “’cause we both had an interest in deejaying and music when a lot of people wasn’t doing it back then. So we was aware of each other. And … he was just a little cat from the neighborhood, just a regular little dude from the hood. Nothing like stood out or nothing like that, we just had common interests.”

Fast forward a few years to the mid-‘80s and the Fremont alums had cut their first record together: the Dracula-inspired “Monster Rapping.”

“Man, we fucked around,” replied ‘Law when asked if the seemingly comical cut was supposed to be serious. “I did that like as respect to my homeboy. My homeboy rapped on that first, my homeboy named Paraquise. Paraquise got life in the pen. And Dre said, ‘Man, go ahead and put ya voice on it.’ We bullshittin’ and I put it on there. And we had so much leeway at the radio station that I was able to get it played during Halloween [1985]. I wasn’t even trying to do nothing with it at all. That’s not indicative of no style or nothing like that.”

Laylaw’s short-lived career as an artist continued the following year with “What’s Your Name,” and Electro-driven dance cut produced by “The Mechanic,” which was an alias Dr. Dre adopted at the time to avoid any conflict with his deal with Epic Records, as part of The World Class Wreckin’ Cru, while working with ‘Law.  

“I was a writer,” explained Laylaw of why his time in front of the mic was confined to just a couple of Dr. Dre produced 12” singles. “I was just writing. I was writing … and then, I come across Alonzo [Williams] and Wreckin’ Cru and they’re rapping. … I’m not a rapper. I’m a writer. I can write a rap, but I don’t consider myself a rapper. So, it was weird trying to figure out what I was gonna do.”

What ‘Law had already figured out on his own to do to make a living had nothing to do with making music.

“I was a hustler, man,” he noted. “Everybody knew Laylaw from getting money. I was the only nigga they knew had a Rolex. That’s why my label was Rolex [Records]. … I had money, so [Eazy-E] used to fuck with me to get money. So I knew Eazy.”  
Helping Build Classics For Eazy E's Ruthless Records
The hustler/writer subsequently began rollin’ with Eazy and the rest of the Ruthless Records posse. After penning singer Michel’le’s 1989 smash “No More Lies,” Laylaw began grooming the second gangstafied group to emerge on Ruthless after N.W.A.: Above The Law.  

“With [Big Hutch], we’d be doing some music and [N.W.A. would] hear it and next thing you know our music would end up on N.W.A.’s records,” revealed ‘Law. “ ‘100 Miles And Runnin,’’ that’s an Above The Law beat.”

After a few years of allegedly having credit stripped from him for songs he wrote for Michel’le, Eazy-E and others, Laylaw left the west coast’s first powerhouse Rap label prior to Above The Law’s sophomore full-length, Black Mafia Life.

“There was nothing good there,” he noted of the environment at Ruthless Records by the early ‘90s. “The public enjoyed the music and everything, but to be doing it on the other side of it, we was going through hell.”

And was the hell being created at Ruthless more the work of Eazy-E or the often criticized label co-founder Jerry Heller?

“It was both of ‘em,” replied Laylaw. “I don’t kiss nobody ass, man. I mean, Eazy was cool as fuck. I loved Eazy. I miss Eazy. But then when Eazy got schooled by Jerry [Heller] … All of the sudden I gotta talk to Jerry about shit I’ve never talked to Jerry about? Fuck Jerry, man. I’m not talking to Jerry about nothing. You couldn’t get me to respect Jerry. That was the problem. [I was like], ‘How you gonna just throw this muthafucka in the mix, Eazy? You used to buy dope from me muthafucka. I used to give you dope on consignment. Now you got me talking to this white fool about this bullshit?’”

Post-Ruthless, ‘Law kept getting that legal drug money by producing the title-track to 2Pac’s Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z, along with the subsequent B-side to ‘Pac’s “Keep Ya Head Up” single, “I Wonda If Heaven’s Got A Ghetto.”

“I was kinda fuckin’ with ‘Pac while I was still at Ruthless,” recalled ‘Law. “Me and ‘Pac was already friends. Atron Gregory was [Above The Law’s] road manager. Atron Gregory found Digital Underground …. And ‘Pac used to come around. Dude used to come down and sleep on my couch and shit, kick it, and we end up doing some music together.”

Unfortunately for Laylaw, industry rule #4080 once again reared its ugly head in regards to his work for an up-and-coming act.

“‘I Wonda If Heaven’s Got A Ghetto,’ and there’s a song called ‘Troublesome,’ I did … a couple other songs I can’t remember the titles to,” revealed ‘Law of his complete contribution to 2Pac’s sophomore album. “There’s about five songs [total I did] for Tupac. The name of the album was originally called Troublesome, but for whatever reason they pulled off all my songs except one. Like, mines was too much or some shit. I don’t know what the fuck they was trippin’ on. So, they pulled off four of my five songs and they just left ‘Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.’ So ‘Pac said, ‘Well, we gonna name the album Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.’ Why? ‘Cause they raped the album.”

Unfortunately, yet again, Laylaw would see his work for 2Pac “raped,” but this time it would be in part at the hands of his old friend from Fremont.

The Real Story Behind 2Pac & Dr. Dre's "California Love (Remix)"
“I went on and played some music for him,” began ‘Law as he recalled his reunion with Dr. Dre in the mid-‘90s. “He heard a beat that he wanted, and it was the ‘California Love (Remix)’ beat. He was officially working on The Chronic 2 way back then. And that song was supposed to have been for his album. … So Dre did the song, a couple days later Roger [Troutman] come out [and] get on it. … A couple days later, ‘Pac hear it [and] ‘Pac get on it. A couple days later now it’s ‘Pac’s single. The very next day they wanna shoot the video. So within a week of us doing it, it became ‘Pac’s single.”

“So I’m like, ‘Alright, what’chu gonna do with my version? ‘Cause we have two versions of the song,’” he continued. “[Dre] said, ‘Your version’s the remix.’ I did it with my partner at the time, [D’Maq]. … [Dr. Dre] told me that he sent the credits into Suge [Knight] and Suge fucked it up. I called Suge. Suge said, ‘Dre never gave me the credits, ‘Law.’ … Mind you, Suge ain’t really worrying about putting my name on shit. So I get in touch with Tupac, and ‘Pac telling me he trying to leave [Death Row Records], he just wanna finish these extra albums and he wanna leave. So, we just kicked back and just let [the situation] marinate.”    

Although he has endured his fair share of industry shenanigans through the years, Laylaw is still going strong in the business of music. The Westside O.G. is currently preparing the release of Lawhouse Greatest Hitz, a 3-disc box set of both previously released and unreleased ‘Law assisted creations for Ice Cube, 2Pac, DJ Quik, E-40, Nas and more.

“I’m getting a new one from Quik,” he noted of some planned new additions to the Hitz. “I’m getting a new one from Cube. And I’m gonna release some stuff that never came out, some ‘Pac that never came out. It’s gonna be interesting.”

Dr Dre has to be one of the biggest frauds in hip hop.  :grumpy: I dont understand why he continues to get praise when history has shown all he ever does is rob and steal from other producers. Im convinced he has never done one beat for himself. Even in the NWA days it seems that Big Hutch and Erotic D were doing all the work
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:35:35 PM by Cross Em Out »

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
Not saying that these stories are true or false, but it's funny how many of these stories we've heard these past few months. Sam Sneed, DOC, Laylaw, Budda, Snoop etc etc have all said revealed things that makes Dre look bad in the public eye. Must be something goin' on.

Small Change Willy

• Lil Geezy
Not saying that these stories are true or false, but it's funny how many of these stories we've heard these past few months. Sam Sneed, DOC, Laylaw, Budda, Snoop etc etc have all said revealed things that makes Dre look bad in the public eye. Must be something goin' on.

They mad that Dre ditched them for his favorite white boy, Eminem

lol

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG

lol

lol.

but seriously i think it has to do with Dre "acting Hollywood" as they say. Like it seems like Dre has become more of a shady record executive or something rather than a homeboy, an artist or whatever you wanna call it.

Cross Em Out

• 'G'
I think niggas is finally tired of the bullshit and rightfully want thier place in the history books. Dre's whole career is just a front for more talented producers. You never hear this many stories about other producers considered legendary

OG Hack Wilson

probably the truth
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Small Change Willy

• Lil Geezy

lol

lol.

but seriously i think it has to do with Dre "acting Hollywood" as they say. Like it seems like Dre has become more of a shady record executive or something rather than a homeboy, an artist or whatever you wanna call it.

I guess, he seems to be really into marketing his products. That Dr Pepper commercial, Pacquiao vs Mosley snippet, Chrysler commercial. Probably other one's but I can't remember. And yea, it doesn't seem like he's cool with anyone where he just gives a few beats to some artist that he's cool with (besides eminem, game and maybe 50 but they're on Aftermath so doesn't really count).

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
I think niggas is finally tired of the bullshit and rightfully want thier place in the history books. Dre's whole career is just a front for more talented producers. You never hear this many stories about other producers considered legendary

True but at the same time they aren't as big and famous as Dre. I mean not saying they're lyin' but it seems weird that so many stories has come out between 2010-2011. More than 1 or 2 i mean we've heard like 6-7 stories just recently one after the other.

Why didn't most of these stories come out in like 2003? or maybe 2001? I know there's been similar stories before but this many?!!! and at the same time?? I dont know.

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG

lol

lol.

I guess, he seems to be really into marketing his products. That Dr Pepper commercial, Pacquiao vs Mosley snippet, Chrysler commercial. Probably other one's but I can't remember. And yea, it doesn't seem like he's cool with anyone where he just gives a few beats to some artist that he's cool with (besides eminem, game and maybe 50 but they're on Aftermath so doesn't really count).

Yeah exactly. But it really does seem like Iovine has been pulling his strings for a few years now. Maybe it has something to do with Dre selling his owning rights of Aftermath to Jimmy a few years ago..

Stan

I think their is some serious player hating going on.  Dave Chappelle could make a new skit out of it.  It's true, there are a lot of stories, but one very important question remains that never has or even will be answered????
As Nas puts it "Where are they now?"

If Dre is jackin all these beats then how come they can't make the same hits when he's not in the picture?   :-\

Where's Mel Man at?  Storch?  Khalil?  I'm talking solo style.  These guys can make beats on their own with their own teams but none of them have come even close to Dre's success.  This is in the past so let it be.  How can yous till feel burnt if you've never made a hit even 1/10th the size?

Cross Em Out

• 'G'
I think their is some serious player hating going on.  Dave Chappelle could make a new skit out of it.  It's true, there are a lot of stories, but one very important question remains that never has or even will be answered????

If Dre is jackin all these beats then how come they can't make the same hits when he's not in the picture?   :-\

Where's Mel Man at?  Storch?  Khalil?  I'm talking solo style.  These guys can make beats on their own with their own teams but none of them have come even close to Dre's success.  This is in the past so let it be.  How can yous till feel burnt if you've never made a hit even 1/10th the size?

He blackballed Mel-man like he did Neff-U
At one point Scott Storch was bigger than Dre. Are you seriously questioning Scott Storch's solo hit making abilities? (Chris Brown, Fat Joe, Christina Aguilera, 50 cent, Beyonce etc) Do your research
Khalil has done solo beats for Jay Z, 50 Cent, Eminem, Game, Snoop Dogg and even Dr Dre, alot of which has been better than the recent beats that have Dre's name on it.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
i don't see why hutch wouldn't get credit if he was involved.
besides, 100 miles & runnin' sounds like Dr.Dre & Yella to me.
yeah lots of stories lately.
really strange

http://www.cover.dk/blog/motherfuckers-who-forgot-about-dre
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:16:48 PM by From Dre-Day to Nate Day »

Cross Em Out

• 'G'
i don't see why hutch wouldn't get credit if he was involved.
besides, 100 miles & runnin' sounds like Dr.Dre & Yella to me.
yeah lots of stories lately.
really strange

http://www.cover.dk/blog/motherfuckers-who-forgot-about-dre

come on man you know its not always as straightforward as that. credit has been fucked up before when it comes to Dre so why wouldnt Hutch be victim of the same thing? besides Kokane confrmed in an old interview that Hutch gave Dre breakbeats for NWA albums and showed him a lot off other stuff too and went uncredited, so I dont think Laylaw is lying

Stan

He blackballed Mel-man like he did Neff-U
At one point Scott Storch was bigger than Dre. Are you seriously questioning Scott Storch's solo hit making abilities? (Chris Brown, Fat Joe, Christina Aguilera, 50 cent, Beyonce etc) Do your research
Khalil has done solo beats for Jay Z, 50 Cent, Eminem, Game, Snoop Dogg and even Dr Dre, alot of which has been better than the recent beats that have Dre's name on it.
Storch?  Maybe for six months when he took a vacation.  Fat Joe cough terror squad had a one hit wonder.  I know he did some work with Christina but nothing mind-blowing.  She was who she was before him.  
The difference is Dre makes stars they don't.  I think that is why he has that giant persona.  No one in the rap game has created an umbrella of talent like he has ... no one has that clout.  I remember when Timberland produced 2 albums and was tha shit 5 years ago, but come to think of it Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado were already big stars.

Also these stories imply Dre is a professional beat-jacker and I just don't get why ANY of them have't had careers even 1/10th the size of his.    Seems a little far fetched ...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:58:44 PM by Stan »

BiggBoogaBiff

I think their is some serious player hating going on.  Dave Chappelle could make a new skit out of it.  It's true, there are a lot of stories, but one very important question remains that never has or even will be answered????

If Dre is jackin all these beats then how come they can't make the same hits when he's not in the picture?   :-\

Where's Mel Man at?  Storch?  Khalil?  I'm talking solo style.  These guys can make beats on their own with their own teams but none of them have come even close to Dre's success.  This is in the past so let it be.  How can yous till feel burnt if you've never made a hit even 1/10th the size?

while some of that may be true you have to remember if u have a good ear for music (like myself) and can pull unheard/fresh tracks from unknown (and known) producers and writers, mix em down 2 tha way u like it then it's not hard 2 make shit a classic.  

it's kinda like if I had:

Timbaland
DJ Quik
DJ Premier
Pete Rock
No I.D.
Battlecat
or whoever really

and decided to take their BEST material, mix it down (and maybe add little elements here and there) and have the authority to call it my own I would literally be considered 1 of those greatest producers of all time (maybe even the greatest).  

like if I had:

Lex Luger
JUSTICE LEAGUE
Khao
Shawty Redd
Monsta Beatz
Drake's producers
Drumma Boy
Zaytoven

all under my belt as my "behind the scenes" production STAFF and all I did was take their BEST beats and add some little touches here n there (if that) and released them then I'd be the greatest hip hop producer in this day and age and nobody couldn't tell me shit about it.  all of you niggaz might hate that my shit sounds a little Southern (tho i disagree with that term) but none of u could deny that I have talent that's worth a shit and you couldn't deny that without me Hip Hop wouldn't be as good as it is today, music wouldn't as good today.

from all of the information we've gathered over the years that's pretty much what Dr. Dre has done ALL of these years.

- with all of that said i still want to hear "Detox".  if Dre really is doing that then "Detox" will be the greatest album invented this past decade.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:01:24 PM by Hollywood Bilderberg™ »