Author Topic: Looking back, it's crazy that Eastsidaz went platinum  (Read 1586 times)

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
Re: Looking back, it's crazy that Eastsidaz went platinum
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 09:42:33 AM »
LOL at the revisionist history that Napster wasn't huge back in 2000.  Dudes, I remember that time because I was around back then.  For instance, before this forum was created, we had this little forum that anyone could post to without a user account that had a black and red color scheme.  It was the precursor to the DubCC forums.  In those days, we were posting about these new songs we were discovering, because we were all basically young and broke high school students back then, and so we used Napster to download individual songs one by one.  In fact, I distinctly remember that's how I first listened to Bow Down for example -- I literally had to find the tracklist and download each song on the album one by one...and I'm sure others did as well.  Everybody in my high school was talking in the hallways about new music they were listening to because Napster enabled them to do so.  That's in fact why there was a bubble in music sales back then, because people were using Napster to discover new music rather than to strictly illegal d.l. and save music.

But anyway, people who say Napster wasn't big back then simply weren't around.  Maybe it wasn't big in Europe -- I know this forum has a lot of Euros these days, but I'm talking about the United States, Napster was huge.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

bouli77

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 09:48:11 AM »
i'm a proud euro (if there is such thing lol) and i can confirm you that Napster was huge even in our backwards, outdated regions :laugh:

Sikotic™

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »
Napster was large and in charge back 11-12 years ago. I remember I used to get all my shit from there before those retards shut it down.

crips were in style back then.
I remember lil redheaded girls with freckles wanted to crip walk back in those days. What happened to kids these days? :'(
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »
i'm a proud euro (if there is such thing lol) and i can confirm you that Napster was huge even in our backwards, outdated regions :laugh:
yeah but not many people had fast internet back then

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »
LOL at the revisionist history that Napster wasn't huge back in 2000.  Dudes, I remember that time because I was around back then.  For instance, before this forum was created, we had this little forum that anyone could post to without a user account that had a black and red color scheme.  It was the precursor to the DubCC forums.  In those days, we were posting about these new songs we were discovering, because we were all basically young and broke high school students back then, and so we used Napster to download individual songs one by one.  In fact, I distinctly remember that's how I first listened to Bow Down for example -- I literally had to find the tracklist and download each song on the album one by one...and I'm sure others did as well.  Everybody in my high school was talking in the hallways about new music they were listening to because Napster enabled them to do so.  That's in fact why there was a bubble in music sales back then, because people were using Napster to discover new music rather than to strictly illegal d.l. and save music.

But anyway, people who say Napster wasn't big back then simply weren't around.  Maybe it wasn't big in Europe -- I know this forum has a lot of Euros these days, but I'm talking about the United States, Napster was huge.

i do too...and i was around back then too..lol...napster was huge...but not like big enough to fuck up album sales..niggas in the hood didnt know shit....about napster...lol

kuz alot people was still on dial up...i remember days it took 4 days to get 1 song from yousendit...got to high school and college fell in love with t1...n discovered mirc on this very board..

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 01:24:38 PM »
this forum also introduced me to mirc

thx

Jimmy H.

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 01:28:51 PM »
Popular music was a different animal back then. There's always a way to get something for free if you look hard enough but the fact is the climate has changed. Everyone has MP3 players and IPod's these days. Even if you still buy physical CD's, nearly anything that's been out for longer than a year, you can probably buy for under $6 on Amazon or E-Bay. The only music outlets that are still around are Best Buy, the Mom & Pop's, and FYE (who seem to be closing stores left and right). BMG and Columbia House use to have individual CD clubs then they merged. Now, they are going out of business at the end of the month. It is a horrible time for the music business.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 01:40:40 PM »
Napster in its prime still didn't make free music as easily accessible as it is now.

Example, if I wanted a snoop album right now all I have to do is go on google and type "snoop dogg doggumentary mediafire" and within a minute I would have a link and withing 5 minutes I'd be extracting the songs to my desktop and burning them onto a disc or adding them to my itunes playlist.

Napster was NEVER that simple.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

BigNeckBone

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Drama means nothing, it's part of tha game
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »
To this day, still one of my most favorite albums
Eastsidaz always dropped raw, thight, g shit
<a href="http://gifmaker.me/PlayGIFAnimation.php?folder=2014022200kVp8nskXeGtIEO10TEVk7U&amp;file=output_XhDD0f.gif" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://gifmaker.me/PlayGIFAnimation.php?folder=2014022200kVp8nskXeGtIEO10TEVk7U&amp;file=output_XhDD0f.gif</a>

bouli77

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 03:48:37 PM »
Napster in its prime still didn't make free music as easily accessible as it is now.

Example, if I wanted a snoop album right now all I have to do is go on google and type "snoop dogg doggumentary mediafire" and within a minute I would have a link and withing 5 minutes I'd be extracting the songs to my desktop and burning them onto a disc or adding them to my itunes playlist.

of course not. only thing I'm saying was Napster was already huge at the time. when it came to piracy we still relied on audio cassettes and people with cd-recorder (it wasn't that common back then lol)

and Dre-day you're spot on, i remember with my 56k internet access, i could only download a song here lol and there while my friends all had faster internet connection lol.

acgrundy

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »
LOL at the revisionist history that Napster wasn't huge back in 2000.  Dudes, I remember that time because I was around back then.  For instance, before this forum was created, we had this little forum that anyone could post to without a user account that had a black and red color scheme.  It was the precursor to the DubCC forums.  In those days, we were posting about these new songs we were discovering, because we were all basically young and broke high school students back then, and so we used Napster to download individual songs one by one.  In fact, I distinctly remember that's how I first listened to Bow Down for example -- I literally had to find the tracklist and download each song on the album one by one...and I'm sure others did as well.  Everybody in my high school was talking in the hallways about new music they were listening to because Napster enabled them to do so.  That's in fact why there was a bubble in music sales back then, because people were using Napster to discover new music rather than to strictly illegal d.l. and save music.

But anyway, people who say Napster wasn't big back then simply weren't around.  Maybe it wasn't big in Europe -- I know this forum has a lot of Euros these days, but I'm talking about the United States, Napster was huge.

ummm I have lived my entire life in california and I was born in 1980.  I think you are clearly the one who can't remember things correctly, especially if you got Bow Down off Napster.  Bow Down came out at least 3 years before napster.

Napster was definitely not huge when the Eastsidaz album came out.  Napster was just getting started.  Hell, Hi-speed internet was barely even around in 1999.  Napster was certainly not HUGE.  Yeah people were using it, but nowhere near even close to the amount of things that get downloaded today.  I had high speed internet in 2000/2001 and I used napster.  I remember thinking how I got so much music from it.  In a year I maybe got close to 1000 songs...maybe.  Hell, if I wanted to nowadays I could get 1000 songs in 1 day.  Please stop talking this nonsense about how Napster was huge...that is a joke.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2011, 12:00:50 AM »
well, u know - back in the 90's and early 00's, if u wanted to have music - u had to actually go out n buy a physical record n bring it home.
it was differnet back then. i actually remember those times

WTF???  Napster was huge back then, circa when Tha Eastsidaz dropped.  You did NOT have to go to the store back then.

Pretty sure only college boys were using Napster back then. Most of us were still going to the record stores. Not everyone had their own computer back then, and not everyone had the internet. And even those who did weren't using it to dl all their music. iPods weren't even around. That was when spending that much time on the internet made you a nerd to the rest of us. Nowadays EVERYONE gets their music off the internet, back then cds were still the main way.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:02:25 AM by SPICE "He my baby daddy" 2 »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2011, 12:12:35 AM »

You were a nerd then. I was in high school in 2000 and most of us were still getting cds. Of course we knew about Napster when it came out and made the news, but most of us weren't using it. and hell the ipod wasn't even around yet. The ipod is what really killed albums, because before that everyone had cd players and the whole burning process was too complicated for most people. And internet forums? Lol, I'm just gonna say that the cool kids weren't on the internet sharing music.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2011, 02:48:37 AM »

of course not. only thing I'm saying was Napster was already huge at the time. when it came to piracy we still relied on audio cassettes and people with cd-recorder (it wasn't that common back then lol)

and Dre-day you're spot on, i remember with my 56k internet access, i could only download a song here lol and there while my friends all had faster internet connection lol.
haha yeah dial up sucked.

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2011, 06:56:38 AM »
niggas talking about Napster need to remember about dial up.  I was around back then and it was huge, but it took HOURS for most people to download it because vast majority of people were on dial up still, made most people say "fuck it, I'll just buy it"
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....