Author Topic: Looking back, it's crazy that Eastsidaz went platinum  (Read 1598 times)

dexter

Re: Looking back, it's crazy that Eastsidaz went platinum
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2011, 07:47:19 AM »
those were the days. Back when Snoop would sell 2 million and people would call it a flop.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2011, 08:57:57 AM »
hell no - "huge", lol?
just because groups of nerdy highschool-teenagers were downloadin songs from Napster in 2000 and 01, didnt make it "huge"

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2011, 11:08:08 AM »
Back in those days winmx was the shit.I had to buy 40€  "u.s-import" cd  and 128k mp3's was a must-have lol. The real question is how much did it sell in the u.s and outside the u.s.

Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2011, 01:25:22 AM »
hell no - "huge", lol?
just because groups of nerdy highschool-teenagers were downloadin songs from Napster in 2000 and 01, didnt make it "huge"
yeah kazaa was bigger, but once the distorted songs were uploaded, it was over

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2011, 08:39:26 AM »
LOL at the revisionist history that Napster wasn't huge back in 2000.  Dudes, I remember that time because I was around back then.  For instance, before this forum was created, we had this little forum that anyone could post to without a user account that had a black and red color scheme.  It was the precursor to the DubCC forums.  In those days, we were posting about these new songs we were discovering, because we were all basically young and broke high school students back then, and so we used Napster to download individual songs one by one.  In fact, I distinctly remember that's how I first listened to Bow Down for example -- I literally had to find the tracklist and download each song on the album one by one...and I'm sure others did as well.  Everybody in my high school was talking in the hallways about new music they were listening to because Napster enabled them to do so.  That's in fact why there was a bubble in music sales back then, because people were using Napster to discover new music rather than to strictly illegal d.l. and save music.

But anyway, people who say Napster wasn't big back then simply weren't around.  Maybe it wasn't big in Europe -- I know this forum has a lot of Euros these days, but I'm talking about the United States, Napster was huge.

i do too...and i was around back then too..lol...napster was huge...but not like big enough to fuck up album sales..niggas in the hood didnt know shit....about napster...lol

kuz alot people was still on dial up...i remember days it took 4 days to get 1 song from yousendit...got to high school and college fell in love with t1...n discovered mirc on this very board..

Word... 3rd Coast is right.  

In 2,000 albums were still being sold in spite of Napster.  I worked at Camelot music in the Mall my senior year of highschool, and I also used to hang out at Sam Goody and Blockbuster music and browse through all the cd's.  Those days are gone.  Camelot music, Sam Goody, Blockbuster Music all had to close down because they were going bankrupt just a few short years after 00'.  The reason was everybody and their mamma started downloading digitally and people stopped buying albums.  

Back in 2,000 Napster was popular but many people were still on dialup.  And albums were a little bit harder to find on the net.  I remember the Marshal Mathers LP leaked at the end of my senior year in highschool and I was the only one who knew about it and knew where to find it for the first week.  I had one kid with a fast computer burn it all for me, and made him promise he wouldn't do it for anyone else because I didn't believe in illegal bootlegging and I knew I would buy the album when it came out when others wouldn't.  But he still downloaded it for like 100 mutherfuckers at the school.  And he was paid like $5 dollars for those bootlegs.  Nobody would pay $5 dollars in these times because everyone can do it on their own these days.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2011, 09:34:25 AM »
I burned my first mix cd in spring break 2000 titled Beats vol 1.  All i remeber is it had thong song, black rob, big tymers lol.  I went on to make over 30 beats volumes.

All the songs were from napster. I was in college an we had T1 connections, and we just raped the downloading scene. I basically destroyed my comp downloading so much, hella viruses. I can tell u without a doubt napster was in full effect in 2000.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 10:45:14 AM »
Sooooo... I guess I have to repeat myself for some people....

With Napster in those days, we had to download songs one by one.  I, like many people, except for people in college, was on dialup (in my high school days).  I remember it took me about an hour to download all of Bow Down, because I had to for example individually d.l. "Gangstas Make the World Go Round" -- that would take about 3-5 mins.  Then I would d.l. the next song, etc.  You could also d.l. multiple songs simultaneously, but my computer was a bit too slow to do that.  So it took me about an hour.  I did the same for Twinz's Conversation LP.  Then I would take those songs and burn them to a CD, which also took a while.

I'm not saying Napster hurt music sales.  In fact, I said in my first post that it actually helped sales during the pop bubble of the late 90s/early 2000s, because it increased people's exposure to music at that time.  And I'm not saying it was as convenient as today, but relative to that time, it was convenient, because it provided instant access to music.

And, yes, Napster was huge back then.  Why do you think it was sued?  What, because nobody was using it?  There was a time there in 99/2000 when everybody at my school was using Napster.  Again, I'm from a suburb in NJ -- I don't know what it was like in Europe or in the ghettos where y'all are from  ;)  I can't speak to that because I'm from neither place.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:49:40 AM by Detox Is A Myth!!! »
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »
It wasn't huge as in everyone's using it. You nerds in nice colleges were using it. The rest of us weren't. Deal with it  ;)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2011, 11:59:23 AM »
the ppl i knew that had it and used it were far and few inbetween back then.

i capatalized and started making cds for $$$$

back then the idea of making your own list of songs and having that burnt to a disc was some groundbreaking shit.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2011, 02:04:16 AM »
It wasn't huge as in everyone's using it. You nerds in nice colleges were using it. The rest of us weren't. Deal with it  ;)
yeah, the name napster was well known, but with kazaa the ball really started rolling

Schreibs21

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2011, 08:36:03 AM »
Napster was definitely huge back then, I was still in High School and when I 1st started using it I was still on dial-up as well, we did eventually get cable internet not too long after. I was in the same boat with the Marshall Mathers LP, I remember downloading it like a week before it came out and everyone at school was asking for copies. I did take advantage of napster and made mix cd's for people that wanted them and charged them like $5, lol.

acgrundy

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2011, 06:04:03 PM »
Some people obviously don't understand what "Huge" means.

Obviously Napster wasn't huge back then, as showcased by the title of this thread.  If Napster was huge then the eastsidaz debut album would never have gone platinum.

Itunes is huge.  Napster was not huge.  You can call it revolutionary, but certainly not huge.  Yes, it certainly was a game changer for music, but compared to music downloading today, it wasn't used nearly as much as music gets downloaded these days.

From kids who can't even hardly read all the way up to senior citizens who can barely understand the lyrics to music, Itunes is easily accessible and used.  Napster was primarily only used by college students.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »

Obviously Napster wasn't huge back then, as showcased by the title of this thread.  If Napster was huge then the eastsidaz debut album would never have gone platinum.

Itunes is huge.  Napster was not huge.  You can call it revolutionary, but certainly not huge.  Yes, it certainly was a game changer for music, but compared to music downloading today, it wasn't used nearly as much as music gets downloaded these days.

From kids who can't even hardly read all the way up to senior citizens who can barely understand the lyrics to music, Itunes is easily accessible and used.  Napster was primarily only used by college students.

Napster wasn't huge? lol ok.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »

don't listen to that fat fucker
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

acgrundy

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »

Obviously Napster wasn't huge back then, as showcased by the title of this thread.  If Napster was huge then the eastsidaz debut album would never have gone platinum.

Itunes is huge.  Napster was not huge.  You can call it revolutionary, but certainly not huge.  Yes, it certainly was a game changer for music, but compared to music downloading today, it wasn't used nearly as much as music gets downloaded these days.

From kids who can't even hardly read all the way up to senior citizens who can barely understand the lyrics to music, Itunes is easily accessible and used.  Napster was primarily only used by college students.

No it wasn't, as I said, if it were huge then tha eastsidaz would have never gone platinum.