Author Topic: Looking back, it's crazy that Eastsidaz went platinum  (Read 1599 times)

acgrundy

Re: Looking back, it's crazy that Eastsidaz went platinum
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
Some people obviously don't understand what "Huge" means.

Obviously Napster wasn't huge back then, as showcased by the title of this thread.  If Napster was huge then the eastsidaz debut album would never have gone platinum.

Itunes is huge.  Napster was not huge.  You can call it revolutionary, but certainly not huge.  Yes, it certainly was a game changer for music, but compared to music downloading today, it wasn't used nearly as much as music gets downloaded these days.

From kids who can't even hardly read all the way up to senior citizens who can barely understand the lyrics to music, Itunes is easily accessible and used.  Napster was primarily only used by college students.

Napster wasn't huge? lol ok.

don't listen to that fat fucker

this thread has nothing to do with crooked I, what are  you doing in here?

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »

Obviously Napster wasn't huge back then, as showcased by the title of this thread.  If Napster was huge then the eastsidaz debut album would never have gone platinum.

Itunes is huge.  Napster was not huge.  You can call it revolutionary, but certainly not huge.  Yes, it certainly was a game changer for music, but compared to music downloading today, it wasn't used nearly as much as music gets downloaded these days.

From kids who can't even hardly read all the way up to senior citizens who can barely understand the lyrics to music, Itunes is easily accessible and used.  Napster was primarily only used by college students.

good comeback fatboy

go show us those dimes you claim to bang
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

acgrundy

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:40 PM »

good comeback fatboy

go show us those dimes you claim to bang

You are not fooling anyone.  The only pics you want to see are of crooked I.  Fuckin groupie.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
lmao

so how was your game of 1 on 1 against NIK after driving like 10 hours to fight him?
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2011, 07:06:15 PM »

No it wasn't, as I said, if it were huge then tha eastsidaz would have never gone platinum.

True, Napster was some small thing which nobody was using, which is the reason RIAA sued it because they had nothing better to do with their time and money than to sue an obscure Internet application nobody had ever heard of.  ::)
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
lmao at some dudes returning wit 5 replies back to back, agressively tryin to defend some shit.
fact: napster wasnt "huge" (lol @ word), just let it go n deal wit it. college-students/teenagers doesnt equal a big opposition of the world.
why is it important?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:32:17 PM by Michael Madsen »

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »
You euro crakkkas need to shut your asses up about Napster being huge

was it huge? YES
in what way? Millions of people were using it to DL music
Just like today? NO, because most people were on dial up still and songs had to be downloaded individually people still copped albums because it was a pain in the ass to DL full albums for most people

NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2011, 07:36:56 PM »

was it huge? YES
Just like today? NO, because most people were on dial up still and songs had to be downloaded individually people still copped albums because it was a pain in the ass to DL full albums for most people

NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP

"NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP"
--------------------------------
LMAO - emotions is a hard thing to cope wit cuzz
u threw ur keyboard on the floor, right?

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »

was it huge? YES

NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP

"NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP"
--------------------------------
LMAO - emotions is a hard thing to cope wit cuzz
u threw ur keyboard on the floor, right?

I'm chilling watching DVR shit with the laptop out, caps =/= real life emotions dummy
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2011, 08:57:40 PM »

Obviously Napster wasn't huge back then, as showcased by the title of this thread.  If Napster was huge then the eastsidaz debut album would never have gone platinum.

Itunes is huge.  Napster was not huge.  You can call it revolutionary, but certainly not huge.  Yes, it certainly was a game changer for music, but compared to music downloading today, it wasn't used nearly as much as music gets downloaded these days.

From kids who can't even hardly read all the way up to senior citizens who can barely understand the lyrics to music, Itunes is easily accessible and used.  Napster was primarily only used by college students.

No it wasn't, as I said, if it were huge then tha eastsidaz would have never gone platinum.

Artists are still going platinum, so that argument means nothing.  It was huge, Napster was easily one of the biggest stories when it came on the scene. 

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »

was it huge? YES

NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP

All true, easier access to higher speed net and the widespread use of mp3 players was what really pushed downloads over the edge

acgrundy

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »

Artists are still going platinum, so that argument means nothing.  It was huge, Napster was easily one of the biggest stories when it came on the scene. 

Yeah, but how many artists are going platinum and how huge are they?  Ask 10 random people today if they know who consists of the Eastsidaz group or if they know who Tray Deee or Goldie loc is.  Then ask them if they know who Eminem, Lil' Wayne, Jay Z, Beyonce, is.

Of course Napster was one of the biggest stories when it came out on the scene.  I'm not disputing that at all.  Napster was revolutionary to the music industry.  what I'm saying is that it wasn't HUGE in the sense that tons and tons of people were using it and getting all their music from there at will (like is done on the Internet today)

Calling Napster huge in that sense would be like calling the Laserdisc huge because it paved the way for the DVD.  Or calling the Betamax huge because it paved the way for the VHS.  Or calling the first electric car huge because it paved the way for the hybrid.

Nowadays, unless you are a total independent artist no one has ever heard of, there is a 99.9% chance that your album will be leaked to the internet anywhere from months to days before it is actually released in stores.  That absolutely NEVER happened with napster.  Sorry guys, but the day that Eastsidaz was released it wasn't on Napster.

It was extremely difficult to find full albums of brand new music on napster.

I used napster to the fullest, downloading a bunch of songs...it got me into a lot of different artists.  I was so into westcoast rap back then...I went to Up in Smoke, I bought Tha Eastsidaz the day it dropped, I checked sites like Snoops dogghouse, DR Untouchable, westcoast 2K, I downloaded rare songs in real audio from the websites.  I used to have the version of Nothin' but the Cavi hit with Ice cube at the end.  You can't tell me that I wasn't around for it, or i didn't know what what going on.  How many of you can say you also did all those things?  And I will just finish with this: Napster wasn't huge in the terms of affecting music sales.  It affected them to a degree, but nowhere near huge.

acgrundy

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napster

At its peak Napster had 25 million users.  That is just above 8% of the USA population.  YEAH THAT IS HUGE GUYS!

Haha show me 1 person in the USA alone that doesn't download music, much less the entire world.

25 million people is not even 1/2 of 1 percent of the world population.  And you guys want to call that HUGE?  So if you call that HUGE, then what exactly do you call music downloading today?  Huge to the power of 100?

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2011, 01:23:12 AM »
It always makes me laugh when people claim album sales don't suffer from the Internet. When 15 years ago going gold was considered a failure for major labels. Now you got people like Rick Ross who's never gone past gold and people claim is a huge artist.

To put everything in perspective consider how huge lil Waynes buzz was during the build up to Carter 3 and lollipop dominating charts. Lil Wayne was the biggest artist on the planet. But guess what? Lil Wayne doesn't even have the highest selling album in cash money history. Juvenile does. Juvenile had maybe a quarter of the buzz back then that Wayne had at that time.

V2DHeart

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »
Not hard to believe it went platinum. It was released at a time you could still go on MTV, or any other music channel, and find the groups video on there with Snoop on it, along with other artists. I can remember seeing quiks Pitch in on a Party video a number of times. Music channels actually played music videos, and had dedicated Hip Hop programs. Lyricist lounge etc. Before this white upper class rich kid reality based disease set in, and took over the station. No more celebrity death match, no more Yo raps. No more music videos. The closest you'd get nowadays to hearing an Eastidaz track is hearing a 8 second instrumental while their showing you through a $8 million pad, or showing a little girls $100,000 16th birthday party, and even then, it'd be the likes of Wacka Floka, Trey Songs, or Drake... All imagery fashion rappers.

Dr Dre and anything associated with him at the time got a big boost. Tha Last Meal album, Eminem, even Knock-turnal.

There's no major TV, or radio that plays these videos, or singles. It's all advertisements, and fashion icon singers or rappers, and that's why that Eastsidaz album wouldn't even go gold today
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>