Author Topic: the "who REALLY produced that Dre beat" thread  (Read 1449 times)

OG Hack Wilson

the "who REALLY produced that Dre beat" thread
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »
i'll start

Cali Love remix:  Laylaw
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

EnzoUK

Re: the "who REALLY produced that Dre beat" thread
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »
i'll start

Cali Love remix:  Laylaw

i heard sam sneed and dj quik had ties to that too.. but who knows..
Twitter: @EnzoUK

Your favorite posters favorite poster

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 05:19:18 PM »
Keep their heads ringin, wasn't always rumored Sam Sneed or Barney Rubble did that

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »
From an article in the source...

Neff-U: I did the beat on the Coors Light commercial featuring Dr. Dre. On The Eminem Show I did “My Dad’s Gone Crazy,” “Say What You Say,” and “When the Music Stops.” On 50 Cent’s album, I did “Back Down,” “If I Can’t” and I played on “Heat.”
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Unforgivable by Sean John

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 05:57:57 PM »
everyone worked on everything. thats all we can know. barney played keys on a lot of dre songs. that does not make him the producer.

on the original cali love i think it was butch on drums barney and sam on keys and stu-b-doo programming the strings. did dre coordinate all of their efforts as a "producer"? I guess lol. who knows what dj quik had to do with that song, if anything.

the death row beats had a lot of interesting musical elements and they all clearly took a number of musicians, producers, and engineers to put together.

a lot of dre's post death row beats were really much much simpler and a lot of them probably were him slapping his name on something someone else took 5 minutes to make. "keep their heads ringing" is a rich, complex, and interesting beat. it was probably majorly updated from whatever demo sam sneed did originally, maybe it went through several revisions.

"if i can't", on the other hand, is simplistic bullshit. i don't even CARE who made it lol

2euce 7even

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »
Keep their heads ringin, wasn't always rumored Sam Sneed or Barney Rubble did that

all i know j-flexx wrote it for dre.

Hittman2001

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »
Thread should be titled who made the beat or who was the beat maker for  the songs dre produced.  People still don't understand the meaning of producer...some beatmakers that did stuff for him seem to not understand the meaning either.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 07:04:11 PM »
No maybe its dre that needs to learn what it means to produce.

Just blaze, timbaland, neptunes, khalil, quik, etc etc etc all produce songs by MAKING THE DAMN BEAT. Dre is the only one that's allowed to mix and arrange the orders of things and get production credit.

G-Funk

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 07:09:49 PM »
Doggy Dogg World was really produced by Chris "The Glove" Taylor, someone posted an interview of him months back and he mentioned producing it.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »
here goes this for reference material

In a shocking revelation, some of Dr. Dre’s closest associates have broken ties with Aftermath Records and are ready to expose some of the label’s secrets. Big chuck, Mel-Man, Neff-U and the legendary Eric B. have launched The Drama Family and they’re ready to get the credit they deserve.

"It’s time for me to do what I got to do for myself,” states Big Chuck. As Aftermath’s senior director of A&R, Chuck spent seven years helping build the label into the money-making machine it is today. Chuck says he convinced Dr. Dre to sign Eminem, and even arranged for Jay-Z’s contribution to “Still D.R.E.” But with Dre living up 2001’s “Big Egos” a little too often, creative differences soon arose. Big Chuck has now left Aftermath, aligned himself with noted Dre collaborators Mel-Man and Neff-U, and is looking to secure a label deal for his stable of artists, the Drama Family. Also helping out is the legendary Eric B., who is scouting potential talent as a VP for the Drama Family. In this exclusive, Big Chuck and Neff-U catch up with The Source to offer a glimpse into the inner workings of one of hip-hop’s most successful boutique labels. This is the interview Aftermath does not want you to read.[/i]

The Source: When were your final days at Aftermath Records?

Big Chuck: I left on July 21 because of creative differences between Dr. Dre and myself. I stayed loyal to the dude but I knew no matter how long I stayed I wouldn’t shine like the real diamond I am. I’m a boss, period. I’m not comfortable sitting there stroking niggas. I ain’t a dick-sucker. Dre wants people to praise him all day like his name is in the Bible, and I can’t do that.

When did you first meet Dr. Dre?

I met Dre in the ’80s. I was with [Big Daddy] Kane and he was with N.W.A. It was in Detroit. I came in when the first Aftermath album jumped off and everybody counted him out. I was the Krazy Glue in the situation.

It had to take more than a personal beef for you to leave after seven years. Have you guys spoken since then?

Big Chuck: I haven’t spoken to him. I called him and he said he would call me back and he never did. He had the general manager, who is a dear friend of mine, call me and say he thinks we should part ways. He wasn’t man enough to holla at me. He [told] the GM that I ain’t brought him something hot in three years. This is what he told her. How the fuck is he going to say that when I recently brought him Neff-U? I hooked him up with the Training Day script. Me and him listened to the Eminem jump-off in his house and I told him he had to sign him. Even the new single, [the "P.I.M.P." (Remix)], with 50 and Snoop—I told them that this joint is a smash. He fought me for it and we kept it. Now look at it—it’s a smash. My ears are my talent.... A lot of shit is being done over there where muthafuckas are being mistreated. People aren’t getting credit for records they’re doing. It’s like, “Take this money and be cool.” That happened to Neff-U a couple of times. Mel-Man might have gotten the [co-producer credit on Dr. Dre’s 2001], but he didn’t get that paper.

Neff-U, you’ve been working with Dre for about two years. What records have you done?

Neff-U: I did the beat on the Coors Light commercial featuring Dr. Dre. On The Eminem Show I did “My Dad’s Gone Crazy,” “Say What You Say,” and “When the Music Stops.” On 50 Cent’s album, I did “Back Down,” “If I Can’t” and I played on “Heat.”

The songs you just mentioned on Get Rich or Die Tryin’ were all credited as being produced by Dr. Dre. How did that happen?

Neff-U: I have no idea. I thought I would get co-producer credit [on “If I Can’t”] but I didn’t, so I told my uncle, [Big Chuck], and he handled it. They are fixing that as we speak. They screwed up the credits really bad, but Dr. Dre is Dr. Dre. I don’t try to focus on the business; I just love staying in the studio and doing the music part. Sometimes the business gives me a headache. I can’t get into the creative vibe so I let my uncle handle that stuff.
Big Chuck: As a producer, [Dre] is aiight, but as a person he’s a piece of shit. One minute you good with the muthafucka and then he treating you funny-style. But a lot of people believe Dre’s got the chemistry. I was very surprised when Eve came back. Eve was being her own individual outside of the studio when they dropped her [in 1998]. I thought it was crazy when he got rid of her because she was doing what she wanted to do.

There is a lot of talent on that label; you would think they would release more albums.

Big Chuck: Well, you got one person who wants to be a superstar. He’ll sign these artists and keep them on the label for a year or two. I guess it’s a tax write-off. It’s pretty sad that most of the artists that get signed to Aftermath sit until they lose their adrenaline. They go in the studio and record then [Dre] gasses them up and drops them.

That sounds like a harsh fate; too bad it happened to one of the greats. Everyone was waiting for Oh My God. What happened with Rakim? Did he get dropped? Was the music coming out of the sessions really sub-par?

Big Chuck: I think Rakim got tired with that bullshit; he left. The god isn’t going to sit around and be mistreated. You got to look at Rakim as a guy who changed hip-hop entirely. How do you sign him and then stick him in the studio with a whole bunch of C-list producers? That’s disrespectful. Dre would throw him one track and not even sit in with him.

Neff-U: It was a shock to me because [the music] was cool. Rakim was Rakim, the Living Legend; the music was good.

Big Chuck: If Dre did the beats and Ra did the rhyme, then what is the problem?

These can’t all be Dr. Dre’s decisions.

Big Chuck: The investors have too much say in the artistic part of the game. These 75-year-old men are telling us how to sound, and they don’t understand the type of music we’re doing. You got these muthafuckas A&Ring a record and that’s bullshit. Damn the interests of the 75-year-old investors of the company. Damn that because it all falls back on the artist. And a lot of artists are scared to do what they want because they know if you don’t do it their way, sooner or later they will sabotage your career.
You’re going to have to deal with those same 75 year olds trying to get your Drama Family label off the ground.

Big Chuck: I’m trying to get creative control and a fair situation. A couple of real check-writers are hollering at me right now but I don’t want to say whom because I want it set in stone. These labels have been calling me and they’ve seen what I did.

What will be the first album released by the Drama Family and when will it drop?

Big Chuck: We’re working on a secret weapon and we’re going to shock the world with [this album]. The secret missile involves the whole label, and outside artists like Jay-Z and Missy will rock with me. It should be out at the top of the New Year.

As of now, what artists are associated with the Drama Family?

Big Chuck: I got Punch, who wrote Dre’s verses on “What’s the Difference?” and “Big Egos.” Some other artists are Blood Thirsty, Huggy, Goon, Dollar Roc and Stat Quo. Stat Quo’s been writing joints for Dre’s Detox album. Each person we bring along will be able to stand by himself and be superstars. I’m also bringing Freddie Foxxx and Jayo Felony to the label. And Hillstorian [Mel-Man] is going to be a key player in the production. He also has a good ear for talent.

Are you going to try to reach out to other Aftermath associates?

Big Chuck: I went up there [Aftermath Records offices] to get thousands and thousands of demos that get thrown in the garbage. You know how many thousands of demos are sent in and not even listened to in that office? I’ll reach out to all of them. We are going to embrace everyone who is trying to do the right thing.

Neff-U: We are trying to bring originality back into the game, start new trends and give people a chance to have an equal opportunity.

Big Chuck: We’re just going to find raw talent, and let the streets be the judge of the music.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »
^ :)
dre produces/orchestrates his own music.
all of these other guys are just his music-tools
let it go already

all i know j-flexx wrote it for dre.

a lot of those rhymes were written by RBX

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »
Whoever wrote it needs to be in the book of world records for worst punchlines in a song.

Hittman2001

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
here goes this for reference material

In a shocking revelation, some of Dr. Dre’s closest associates have broken ties with Aftermath Records and are ready to expose some of the label’s secrets. Big chuck, Mel-Man, Neff-U and the legendary Eric B. have launched The Drama Family and they’re ready to get the credit they deserve.

"It’s time for me to do what I got to do for myself,” states Big Chuck. As Aftermath’s senior director of A&R, Chuck spent seven years helping build the label into the money-making machine it is today. Chuck says he convinced Dr. Dre to sign Eminem, and even arranged for Jay-Z’s contribution to “Still D.R.E.” But with Dre living up 2001’s “Big Egos” a little too often, creative differences soon arose. Big Chuck has now left Aftermath, aligned himself with noted Dre collaborators Mel-Man and Neff-U, and is looking to secure a label deal for his stable of artists, the Drama Family. Also helping out is the legendary Eric B., who is scouting potential talent as a VP for the Drama Family. In this exclusive, Big Chuck and Neff-U catch up with The Source to offer a glimpse into the inner workings of one of hip-hop’s most successful boutique labels. This is the interview Aftermath does not want you to read.[/i]

The Source: When were your final days at Aftermath Records?

Big Chuck: I left on July 21 because of creative differences between Dr. Dre and myself. I stayed loyal to the dude but I knew no matter how long I stayed I wouldn’t shine like the real diamond I am. I’m a boss, period. I’m not comfortable sitting there stroking niggas. I ain’t a dick-sucker. Dre wants people to praise him all day like his name is in the Bible, and I can’t do that.

When did you first meet Dr. Dre?

I met Dre in the ’80s. I was with [Big Daddy] Kane and he was with N.W.A. It was in Detroit. I came in when the first Aftermath album jumped off and everybody counted him out. I was the Krazy Glue in the situation.

It had to take more than a personal beef for you to leave after seven years. Have you guys spoken since then?

Big Chuck: I haven’t spoken to him. I called him and he said he would call me back and he never did. He had the general manager, who is a dear friend of mine, call me and say he thinks we should part ways. He wasn’t man enough to holla at me. He [told] the GM that I ain’t brought him something hot in three years. This is what he told her. How the fuck is he going to say that when I recently brought him Neff-U? I hooked him up with the Training Day script. Me and him listened to the Eminem jump-off in his house and I told him he had to sign him. Even the new single, [the "P.I.M.P." (Remix)], with 50 and Snoop—I told them that this joint is a smash. He fought me for it and we kept it. Now look at it—it’s a smash. My ears are my talent.... A lot of shit is being done over there where muthafuckas are being mistreated. People aren’t getting credit for records they’re doing. It’s like, “Take this money and be cool.” That happened to Neff-U a couple of times. Mel-Man might have gotten the [co-producer credit on Dr. Dre’s 2001], but he didn’t get that paper.

Neff-U, you’ve been working with Dre for about two years. What records have you done?

The songs you just mentioned on Get Rich or Die Tryin’ were all credited as being produced by Dr. Dre. How did that happen?

Neff-U: I have no idea. I thought I would get co-producer credit [on “If I Can’t”] but I didn’t, so I told my uncle, [Big Chuck], and he handled it. They are fixing that as we speak. They screwed up the credits really bad, but Dr. Dre is Dr. Dre. I don’t try to focus on the business; I just love staying in the studio and doing the music part. Sometimes the business gives me a headache. I can’t get into the creative vibe so I let my uncle handle that stuff.
Big Chuck: As a producer, [Dre] is aiight, but as a person he’s a piece of shit. One minute you good with the muthafucka and then he treating you funny-style. But a lot of people believe Dre’s got the chemistry. I was very surprised when Eve came back. Eve was being her own individual outside of the studio when they dropped her [in 1998]. I thought it was crazy when he got rid of her because she was doing what she wanted to do.

There is a lot of talent on that label; you would think they would release more albums.

Big Chuck: Well, you got one person who wants to be a superstar. He’ll sign these artists and keep them on the label for a year or two. I guess it’s a tax write-off. It’s pretty sad that most of the artists that get signed to Aftermath sit until they lose their adrenaline. They go in the studio and record then [Dre] gasses them up and drops them.

That sounds like a harsh fate; too bad it happened to one of the greats. Everyone was waiting for Oh My God. What happened with Rakim? Did he get dropped? Was the music coming out of the sessions really sub-par?

Big Chuck: I think Rakim got tired with that bullshit; he left. The god isn’t going to sit around and be mistreated. You got to look at Rakim as a guy who changed hip-hop entirely. How do you sign him and then stick him in the studio with a whole bunch of C-list producers? That’s disrespectful. Dre would throw him one track and not even sit in with him.

Neff-U: It was a shock to me because [the music] was cool. Rakim was Rakim, the Living Legend; the music was good.

Big Chuck: If Dre did the beats and Ra did the rhyme, then what is the problem?

These can’t all be Dr. Dre’s decisions.

Big Chuck: The investors have too much say in the artistic part of the game. These 75-year-old men are telling us how to sound, and they don’t understand the type of music we’re doing. You got these muthafuckas A&Ring a record and that’s bullshit. Damn the interests of the 75-year-old investors of the company. Damn that because it all falls back on the artist. And a lot of artists are scared to do what they want because they know if you don’t do it their way, sooner or later they will sabotage your career.
You’re going to have to deal with those same 75 year olds trying to get your Drama Family label off the ground.

Big Chuck: I’m trying to get creative control and a fair situation. A couple of real check-writers are hollering at me right now but I don’t want to say whom because I want it set in stone. These labels have been calling me and they’ve seen what I did.

What will be the first album released by the Drama Family and when will it drop?

Big Chuck: We’re working on a secret weapon and we’re going to shock the world with [this album]. The secret missile involves the whole label, and outside artists like Jay-Z and Missy will rock with me. It should be out at the top of the New Year.

As of now, what artists are associated with the Drama Family?

Big Chuck: I got Punch, who wrote Dre’s verses on “What’s the Difference?” and “Big Egos.” Some other artists are Blood Thirsty, Huggy, Goon, Dollar Roc and Stat Quo. Stat Quo’s been writing joints for Dre’s Detox album. Each person we bring along will be able to stand by himself and be superstars. I’m also bringing Freddie Foxxx and Jayo Felony to the label. And Hillstorian [Mel-Man] is going to be a key player in the production. He also has a good ear for talent.

Are you going to try to reach out to other Aftermath associates?

Big Chuck: I went up there [Aftermath Records offices] to get thousands and thousands of demos that get thrown in the garbage. You know how many thousands of demos are sent in and not even listened to in that office? I’ll reach out to all of them. We are going to embrace everyone who is trying to do the right thing.

Neff-U: We are trying to bring originality back into the game, start new trends and give people a chance to have an equal opportunity.

Big Chuck: We’re just going to find raw talent, and let the streets be the judge of the music.

I remember that...so we base what we know on one side of the story?  If neff u produced those songs why didn't the credits ever get changed.   If I was him I would ve got a lawyer involved if the credits were that messed up.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:52:09 PM »
No maybe its dre that needs to learn what it means to produce.

Just blaze, timbaland, neptunes, khalil, quik, etc etc etc all produce songs by MAKING THE DAMN BEAT. Dre is the only one that's allowed to mix and arrange the orders of things and get production credit.

Then I guess you'll be surprised to learn that a lot of big name producers aren't solely responsible for the beats they produce. Timbaland and Kanye both use coproducers for starters, as well as teams of musicians. And I'd be willing to best most of the others do as well. The thing is for those producers there aren't hardcore groupies scouring over production credits trying to figure out who did what and reading every interview from every no-name they've ever been associated with.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »
natural born killers:  sam sneed
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens