Author Topic: the "who REALLY produced that Dre beat" thread  (Read 1443 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: the "who REALLY produced that Dre beat" thread
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2011, 03:04:28 PM »
Keep their heads ringin, wasn't always rumored Sam Sneed or Barney Rubble did that

all i know j-flexx wrote it for dre.

you mean J-Flexx wrote the lyrics?   Because those were the illest lyrics Dre's ever spit in my opinion.   That shit was hot to death.  Dre has never sounded better on the Mic than he did on "Keep Your Heads Wringin".  He might as well of been Rakim, Eminem, and the DOC all in one on that track.  People who say Dre can't spit need to listen to that song.   

This makes me wonder what other tracks J-Flexx has written.  Dre's had everyone from Eminem to DOC to Jay-Z write for him and nobody's hooked him up like that.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

bouli77

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2011, 03:11:07 PM »
The problem with Suge and Dre is they sit on albums way too long and then the demand dies down and fans are letdown.  People want to hear the music.  You can say whatever you want about Master P, but he dropped albums left and right, right and left, constantly pushing out singles and moving units with No Limit Records -- Suge and Dre meanwhile you're lucky to get 1 to 3 releases a year out of them.

the thing is that Dre is a craftsman while Beats By The Pound are like industrious workers. I mean in the early days the production on No Limit albums was almost flawless but as soon as they switched into that "let's drop 70 albums a year" mode (from 97-98 on) the quality of the music and especially the production (since the rapping's never been No Limit's forte, obviously lol) drastically plummeted. Dre had an interest in making sonically perfect music that would mark its era and "change the future of funk" while P had an interest on taking advantage of the favorable conditions for him to make a quick buck (huge buzz, receptive market, juicy deal with a huge advance for each album released, a fat cut of the wholesale price). Dre is a musician first and foremost. P is a businessman first. As for Suge, well he didn't have P's channels to push an average album gold or platinum(street promotion, relentless hustlin, etc.), and he needed to rely on the traditional route (extensive promotion + a good deal of controversy) and it was more costly for him to release an album than it was for P so he had to be sure that the quality was there, as well as the commercial potential. that's why he shelved Danny Boy's album IMO, he tested its potential with Slip N Slide (which had DeVante on the beat and Ginuwine on the hook) and saw that the response wasn't too crazy so he decided not to push it.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2011, 03:14:36 PM »
The problem with Suge and Dre is they sit on albums way too long and then the demand dies down and fans are letdown.  People want to hear the music.  You can say whatever you want about Master P, but he dropped albums left and right, right and left, constantly pushing out singles and moving units with No Limit Records -- Suge and Dre meanwhile you're lucky to get 1 to 3 releases a year out of them.

the thing is that Dre is a craftsman while Beats By The Pound are like industrious workers. I mean in the early days the production on No Limit albums was almost flawless but as soon as they switched into that "let's drop 70 albums a year" mode (from 97-98 on) the quality of the music and especially the production (since the rapping's never been No Limit's forte, obviously lol) drastically plummeted. Dre had an interest in making sonically perfect music that would mark its era and "change the future of funk" while P had an interest on taking advantage of the favorable conditions for him to make a quick buck (huge buzz, receptive market, juicy deal with a huge advance for each album released, a fat cut of the wholesale price). Dre is a musician first and foremost. P is a businessman first. As for Suge, well he didn't have P's channels to push an average album gold or platinum(street promotion, relentless hustlin, etc.), and he needed to rely on the traditional route (extensive promotion + a good deal of controversy) and it was more costly for him to release an album than it was for P so he had to be sure that the quality was there, as well as the commercial potential. that's why he shelved Danny Boy's album IMO, he tested its potential with Slip N Slide (which had DeVante on the beat and Ginuwine on the hook) and saw that the response wasn't too crazy so he decided not to push it.

Dre believes in setting trends.  He doesn't believe in just cashing in when the gettin is good, like exploitin the popularity of a certain angle in hip-hop that is selling at the time.  He believes in spending a lot of time on one record and making it superior to all other records so that others follow him. 

No Limit was just about cashing in at a time when the hip-hop world was missing 2pac, and needed to fill that void.  Master P even said that's what No Limit was about.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Cross Em Out

• 'G'
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »
*****Dre has asked a male singer named Cocaine to come in and rework some of his vocals on the Boulevard chorus. Dre doesn't feel that the song is properly layered yet. "One of the things I like most about producing is recording vocals," he says. "I like instructing people, but I'm also trying to bring out a good performance, so I work with them--encourage them." When Cocaine arrives, Dre plays the track. Even though Cocaine is a relative unknown ("He must not want to get his stuff on anybody's station, naming himself Cocaine," says Dre) and Dre is the top producer in the game, he is enthusiastic, even sweet, in explaining what he's looking for. When it appears Cocaine is not getting it, Dre sings the part, revealing perfect pitch and a surprisingly nice voice. Cocaine listens to him, nods his head and starts warming up his pipes.*****

^
weird.
Jelly Roll did the chorus, not Kokane

there seems to be some confusion over that

kokane implies that he did the hook, even though he doesnt fuck with Jelly Roll

Dubcnn: Besides Jayo, Kam, Suga Free, George Clinton, who else do you have on the album?

I got up and coming artist Young Bleezy, Trajic, we got Mamie Gun who's definitely somebody to watch for.

Dubcnn: She's not with Jelly Roll anymore right?

No!

Dubcnn: You told me you had some words for some people on the record too...

Yeah. And I'ma save the surprise. I ain't never fucked with no Jelly Roll. Sometimes I had to do that but *starts singing "The Wash" (Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg ft. Jelly Roll) I'd rather be riding than walking, and all you loud mouth niggas keep talkin', la la laaa *singing* You know what I'm saying? I might have to turn around an 'Knoc-Turnal' your style! You know what I mean? Sometimes thats the way rapping’s been, ain't nobody I wanna see dead, but take it to the stage, sucka! Put that in your pipe and smoke it! You know what I'm saying? It's a competitive competition, even though we on the same Olympic U.S. team but still, we trying to be the best we can be. Right now I'll go up against anybody. I don't care homie, we right here groovin' homie, and it's authenticated. On this album, George Clinton crowns me Duke Of Funk, so nobody can take that. Oooohwoooow..

But Jelly Roll says that he did the hook

dubcnn.com: Let's clear this up once and for all, cause people still ask me about it. Who sang the hook of "On The Blvd" off The Wash?

Uhhh.... I think his name is Jelly Roll. *laughs*

dubcnn.com: Okay, cause you still have people arguing that it's Kokane, so...

Well, okay, you know how people can distinct it? The Jelly Roll flavor when he sings like that is more Church, it's not George Clinton. I don't mock people. You know? Everything I do, my background comes from growing up in church, so that's the Deacon man.

wanst there the same confusion over "Hard Liquor"?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:18:51 PM by Cross Em Out »

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »
infinite is white

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2011, 09:06:39 PM »
"keep their heads ringin'" is lyrically one of the worst tracks i've ever heard.  infinite was definitley fuckin around lol.  crazy...

&

shakingmyfuckinghead at me latching on to popular opinion.  i fuckin hate when my mom and dad are like "What show did u get that from", "when did Snoop Dogg say that", i fuckin hate shit like that.  1st off I rarely get shit from TV, i get it from real life and people when we're talking and ONLY (i stress ONLY) when it's something that's not common knowledge or it's some new game i've NEVER heard before, it's not my fault at 22 im way smarter than u ever could be at 22. 

it's not my fault that people like wat i like.  i admit i've tried to gain that type of ear when i was like 14 but since then it's mostly been all me.  J' u have no idea how much u just blew me with that... smmfh
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:43:52 PM by Hollywood Bilderberg™ »

Jimmy H.

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2011, 10:45:52 PM »
shakingmyfuckinghead at me latching on to popular opinion.  i fuckin hate when my mom and dad are like "What show did u get that from", "when did Snoop Dogg say that", i fuckin hate shit like that.  1st off I rarely get shit from TV, i get it from real life and people when we're talking and ONLY (i stress ONLY) when it's something that's not common knowledge or it's some new game i've NEVER heard before, it's not my fault at 22 im way smarter than u ever could be at 22. 

it's not my fault that people like wat i like.  i admit i've tried to gain that type of ear when i was like 14 but since then it's mostly been all me.  J' u have no idea how much u just blew me with that... smmfh
Is this you talking sideways in my direction or are you addressing someone else?

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:24 PM »
youre so dumb Jimmy.  stop trying to act like youre smarter than everybody.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2011, 11:26:11 PM »
I'm not trying to be smarter than you or anybody else. I'm confident with who I am and what I know. If I'm the dumbest guy in the room so be it but if I'm debating or arguing with a person, I'm sharing insight. Intelligent people share intelligent thoughts. That's how you educate people. All that other noise is just silly. If you're smart, don't talk about how smart you are, show how smart you are. 

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2011, 07:59:30 AM »
give me a dollar

Jimmy H.

« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
Alll I got is quarters.