Author Topic: what sacred places do you live by?  (Read 283 times)

Don Seer

what sacred places do you live by?
« on: January 14, 2003, 02:03:56 AM »
nuff talk of religions... what about holy places?

I live quite near Glastonbury. supposedly one of the sacred holiest places aon the planet. its about 35 mins drive from here.
Stonehenge is quite close here too, theres talk of a ley line running from Glastonbury to it. i've wanted to visit recently but havent made it there yet.. but i will :)

about the place...
------------------------

Joseph of Arimathea
Joseph was the Biblical figure who took Jesus' body after the crucifixion. According to some legends he was actually Jesus' uncle, and had visited Britain years before with Jesus in the pursuit of his interests in the tin trade. It appears that there actually was a strong Jewish presence in the west of England at that time, and many of the tin miners may have been Jewish settlers.

At any rate, when Jesus died, Joseph thought it prudent to flee Palestine, and after many travails he came to Britain with a company of followers. He brought with him the Holy Grail, the cup used by Jesus at the Last Supper. Some versions of the legend have it that the Grail contained two drops of blood captured from Jesus' side when he was wounded on the cross.

When Joseph came to Britain he was granted land at Glastonbury by the local king. When he arrived at Glastonbury, Joseph stuck his thorn staff in the earth, whereupon it rooted and burst into bloom. A cutting from that first tree was planted in the grounds of the later Glastonbury Abbey, where it continued to bloom every year therafter at Christmas time. There is still a thorn tree in the Abbey grounds, of a variety native to the Holy Lands, and it does indeed bloom around Christmas time.

Joseph was said to have established the first church in England at Glastonbury, and archaeological records show that there may well have been an extremely early Christian church here. What happened to the Holy Grail is another matter. Some legends have it that Joseph buried the Grail at the foot of Glastonbury Tor, whereupon a spring of blood gushed forth from the ground.

There is a well at the base of the Tor, Chalice Well, and the water that issues from it does indeed have a reddish tinge to it, from the iron content of the water.

Other legends have it that the Holy Grail was interred with Joseph when he died, in a secret grave. The search for the mysterious Grail emerges again and again in the tales of Glastonbury.

Further legends tell that the church founded by Joseph continued for many years. Eventually it became a monastery, and one of the first abbots was the future St Patrick, who was born in the west country.

------------------------
http://www.time-scapes.co.uk/Glastonbury/josephofarimathe.html

Joseph of Arimathea Glastonbury was the birthplace of Christianity in Britain, so legend tells. It is the place where the first church was built, just 30 years after Jesus was crucified, when Joseph of Arimathea arrived at Glastonbury in 63AD. On the shores of Glastonbury island, Joseph landed with 11 followers and two cruets containing the sweat and blood of Jesus Christ. Joseph had been sent to evangelise the Britons by Jesus' disciple Philip, who had just converted Gaul. Below the Tor, Joseph and his followers landed and stopped to pray. He stood and thrust his staff into the earth of Wearyall Hill, so called because they were all weary from their long ordeal. Famously, his staff took root and budded. A Christmas-blooming thorn tree grew. Joseph declared that they had found their journey's end. He built an ancient wattled church - the Vetusta Ecclesia - at the very place where he had knelt to pray. Joseph decreed that 12 monks should always reside in that most sacred place. Jesus appeared to Joseph and his followers. Jesus blessed Britain's first church, dedicating it to his mother Mary. After some years, Joseph died. He was buried by his followers on a 'two- forked line' next to the ancient wattled church.

------------------------

The Zodiac    The Glastonbury Zodiac is hailed by some as the most remarkable ancient earthwork in Britain. When Katherine Maltwood came across the giant figures etched into the landscape around Glastonbury, she recognised them as an exact representation of constellations in the sky above the Tor. Bordered by ancient tracks and dykes, each sign of the zodiac is represented in its correct order.
Maltwood believed that the Giants were made in Glastonbury's landscape about 5,000 years ago; they were the first Mighty Labour of Britain, the second being Stonehenge. The Giants, she argued, were ancient mythological archetypes on which the legend of the Grail Quest was based. The route and structure of the Quest itself were depicted in the Glastonbury Zodiac. Like the twelve Giants, the Round Table has twelve places; the land around Glastonbury has been known for centuries as the 'Twelve Hides' that were given to Joseph when he landed with the Holy Grail.

^^ juss fuond this one.. gotta peep that

---

I've been to all those places.. sat on the tor, chased cows on the tour (school trip..l ol) , wandered the cathedral ruins, seen the king arthur grave, seen the thorny bush and driven past the chalice well (but i havent drunk from it - yet) btw: theres a nice lil cafe next to the chalice well.

Don Seer

Re:what sacred places do you live by?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 02:33:00 AM »
guess i'm really livin in the holy land then... lol

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 10:09:07 AM »
LOL.  A lot of us live in the U.S., no holy places.  There's lots of mormon holy places here but I don't live near any of them.  Every other religion was created outside the u.s., so there's no religious sites here.  

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 10:40:30 AM »
america has no soul...  :'(   lol

naww seriously.. theres gotta be some mad cool old american indian / native american places.. or are those off limits?

we got mad old caves with inscriptions etc.. too
« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 10:41:31 AM by Overseer »

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 11:07:46 AM »
Oh, you mean like that.  Well, yeah, but none really near me; I live in North Carolina, halfway down the eastern seaboard, and there's TONS of indian stuff around, but there's so much it's kinda like everybody ignores it.  I could go out in the woods and look around for a while, and find arrow heads, for instance.  

Don Seer

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 11:12:26 AM »
cool!  ;D

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 11:26:42 AM »
Yeah, he is pretty cool.  You should check out his album.  LOL

(That IS what you meant, right?)

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2003, 11:33:21 AM »
no lol. cool @ indian stuff

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2003, 02:06:58 PM »
Yeah, I know, I was just wishfully thinking.  

S.G.V.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2003, 02:19:02 PM »
Weinerschnitzel, Green Burrito, In n Out, Jack In The Box, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken & Liquorland...all within a 5 minute walk from my pad

Don Seer

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2003, 03:10:41 PM »
lmao

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2003, 08:24:33 PM »
st patricks cathedral in mahattan.  been there a couple of time,  beautilful place

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2003, 12:51:23 AM »
Weinerschnitzel, Green Burrito, In n Out, Jack In The Box, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken & Liquorland...all within a 5 minute walk from my pad

I live like a 5 minute drive from the first ever McDonalds in San Bernardino, it's off E st. between Highland and Baseline.

As for sacred Native American stuff, the National Orange Show at one time was sacred Native hunting grounds for the Puitches (my tribe) and when the white man took the land from us, we cursed it, and now every openning day of the yearly Orange Show, it rains, and it actually does, no matter when the start it. I've seen it start in March, all the way to June, and it always rains... LOL. Sometimes we just get a bunch of clouds that by pass L.A., get trapped trying to get over Big Bear, and rain like crazy in San Bernardino, or it'll be just a coastal rain storm, but it always rains, even when it's a dry year. I'd say that's pretty sacred Native grounds.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2003, 11:18:43 PM »
bakersfield has a lot of oil and shit here and there's a grip of stuff here about that

then you got the dust bowl stuff, which we're just as famous for, uuuuuuuuuh other than that that's all we got,lol

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09