Author Topic: First big suprise/moment of 2003  (Read 218 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
First big suprise/moment of 2003
« on: January 14, 2003, 06:29:28 PM »
I haven't heard a group drop a classic debut album in a while.  All the groups that I listen to now have been around a while.  Tha Dogg Pound came out '95, Outkast came in '94, Wu-Tang in '93, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth in '92, Tribe in '90 and so on.

Sure CNN came out in '97 with what most would call a classic and the best debut in the last couple of year for me was Non-Phixion.  But this album I heard for the first time yesterday is something special.

Straight outta Durham, North Carolina comes Phonte, Big Pooh (on the mic) & 9th Wonder (behind the boards) known as Little Brother.  This was posted a couple days ago on the main board but I have to express my pleasure with thier album, The Listening.

They were described as somewhere between the jazzy, feel-good grooves of A Tribe Called Quest and the yin-yang chemistry of Outkast, which is pretty acurrate but I'd say that with a pinch of The Roots, Pete Rock and Common.

Hopefully I'm not jumpin' the gun cause I only got a hold of this yesterday but this album is really nice.  I've probably listened to it 7 times already, front-to-back.  First impression is this is a for-sure classic.  

Label site: http://www.abbrecords.com/abb/index.html
Group site: http://www.littlebrothermusic.com/

=[Euthanasia]=

Re:First big suprise/moment of 2003
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 10:09:30 AM »
Amen. I did bring these guys up a couple of months back, along with Binky Fingers, but it's real nice to see them finally getting some recognition, this album has recieved so much praise, and respectively so. Have you heard the 9th Wonder remix comp yet?

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 11:27:22 AM »
I really need to check some of their stuff out. I only got 56k so I can't download the whole album, but what are like the three best tracks?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 01:12:40 PM »
Have you heard the 9th Wonder remix comp yet?

No, I've just heard the album and another track "Atari 2600"

What is he remixing?

I really need to check some of their stuff out. I only got 56k so I can't download the whole album, but what are like the three best tracks?

Try out:

"Speed"
"The Way You Do It"
"For You"

PLANT

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 03:40:51 PM »
I saw this on the main board the other day and downloaded the album aswell.....I dont know if its classic, but its definatly really dope shit....They sound really fresh, and its definatly a cd that we all should listen to....It sounds like HipHop music in its truest form.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2003, 04:27:37 AM »
Have you heard the 9th Wonder remix comp yet?

No, I've just heard the album and another track "Atari 2600"

What is he remixing?

He's remixed some stuff by Nas, Amerie, Busta etc. If you cop the album from sandboxautomatic.com it comes free with.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 10:56:04 AM »
Here some parts from an interview with thaformula.com (intresting interview)

ThaFormula.Com - What kind of feedback did Pete (Rock) have about "The Listening?"

Phonte - Oh man, he loved it man. He was just like "Yo man, classic material, it's a classic album man." He said "it's just straight up beats and rhymes." He was lovin' the singin,' he was just like "I love this album man." It was dope. He really appreciated the shout out we gave him on "Nighttime Maneuvers."

ThaFormula.Com - You've been able to meet a lot of other artists since you've been out touring, what's the feedback been like from them?

Pooh - We've been getting pretty good feedback since we've been out there, mostly we're hearing that it's like "a breath of fresh air," that this is what hip-hop needs.

Phonte - Yeah, I would just say to cosign with Pooh, that pretty much everyone has been saying that it's a "breath of fresh air, real refreshing." Probably one of the biggest compliments that I got outside of Guru and Premier pullin' me and Pooh to the side buildin' with us, tellin us things like "yo man, y'all are doin it, y'all are leaders, y'all are doin this shit," was when right before we went on-stage in New York. Beni B (founder ABB records) pulled us all in a huddle and he was like, "yo I just want to thank y'all for coming out man," he was like "I've never told y'all this before, but you niggas made me love hip-hop again."

Pooh - That was the biggest right there.

Phonte - I was like, "damn, niggas make you love a whole genre and shit!" It's like "you know I never fucked with French Classic movies, but I saw your joint niggas and I fuck with them now" (laughs) That was probably the biggest compliment right there. To hear somebody say "yo, you made me love hip-hop again," you feel blessed and it's kind of breath taking.