Author Topic: Once and for all, whats the infatuation with Death Row records ?  (Read 1278 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Once and for all, whats the infatuation with Death Row records ?
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »
And there's the rub.

The fact you would actually put 2pacs effect on culture above Shakespeare is not only mind boggingly stupid but always exposes the fact that you clearly don't know the difference between your own personal opinions and  reality.

The Emperor has no clothes
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2011, 10:55:26 PM »
The emperors new groove

MistaNova

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2011, 11:36:23 PM »
Once you monkeys learn who you are as people (which will never happen) you can stop being sheep in a herd and starting living lives of greater meaning and substance.

Looking at you it looks like listening to 2Pac won't get you far either...

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.

Sikotic™

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »
The emperors new groove
Dope cartoon.

And to clarify, when I say you can't compare Shakespeare to Pac, I don't mean it as one is better than the other. There really is no comparison between the two. Shakespeare has had the greater overall impact like that faggot jaydc said.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:27:53 AM by "Supernatural" Sikotic »
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2011, 12:59:32 AM »
What a retarded fucking argument.

Shakespeare has material that has been read for nearly half a millennium. Tupac's material hasn't been out for a full two decades yet.

Shakespeare's material was intended for all audiences. Tupac's was intended for gangstas going through struggles of the hood.

You cannot go through any education system without at least being presented two of Shakespeare's works to either read and/or write about. As for Pac, I can honestly say not a teacher in my lifetime has mentioned his name once.

Nobody has anything negative to say about Shakespeare other than he might of been gay. Not even 15 years past Pac's death & most of the genre has moved on...in America anyway.

Finally, if you went out & asked people at random, "Name me a famous writer", at least 90% would say Shakespeare. Ask "Name me a famous rapper" & you wouldn't even get 25% Pac.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2011, 06:26:10 AM »
But on the real: I can see people made a big deal about it from '96 up until the early '00s. It was fresh in people's minds and made for an interesting story. That's why countless books and documentaries have been made off of that period of time. I would be a liar if I said I wasn't caught up in all the drama and shit that went down. I was like 12 years old during all that and couldn't believe what was going down. But that was fuckin 15 years ago. The entire discussion has been beaten to death. It's getting to the level of those creepy fucks who reenact the American Civil War once a year.

Still, it beats other recent discussions like Dre's comfort level and who knits his skin tight sweaters.

Not to mention records from the early/mid 90's still get great reactions in the clubs.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »
What a retarded fucking argument.

Shakespeare has material that has been read for nearly half a millennium. Tupac's material hasn't been out for a full two decades yet.

Shakespeare's material was intended for all audiences. Tupac's was intended for gangstas going through struggles of the hood.

You cannot go through any education system without at least being presented two of Shakespeare's works to either read and/or write about. As for Pac, I can honestly say not a teacher in my lifetime has mentioned his name once.

Nobody has anything negative to say about Shakespeare other than he might of been gay. Not even 15 years past Pac's death & most of the genre has moved on...in America anyway.

Finally, if you went out & asked people at random, "Name me a famous writer", at least 90% would say Shakespeare. Ask "Name me a famous rapper" & you wouldn't even get 25% Pac.

Fuck that.  See thats exactly the problem.  Everybody on this forum (a west coast hip-hop forum keep in mind) is so damn eager to defend Shakespeares legacy... 

And why?  You say because your teacher in school taught you about Shakespeare and didnt teach you about Pac, LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

So you believe Shakespeare is great cause your public school teacher said so, your teacher believed Shakespeare was great because her teacher before that said so, and that teachers teacher taught her... and on down the line... yet here we are.  A forum full of West Coast hiphop fans who grew up on Pac and aint ever gave a fuck about Shakespeare.

But being the worthless monkeys that you are instead of using your own brain you sheep follow the heard and defend Shakespeare for if not for social proof and herd mentality telling u how to live and how to believe you wouldnt know how to tie your shoes!
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Greenbrigade

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2011, 08:35:50 AM »
Why you got to be so racist Brian. No need to call people monkeys.

Your favorite posters favorite poster

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2011, 09:42:32 AM »
Brian please shut the fuck up you whack job.  I want to know why so many people here worship Suge like he did anything besides occasionally stopping in the studio and have his name printed on the back of the album.  This wasn't an avenue for verbally sucking Pac off.

But since you have hijacked this thread, why can't one be a fan of 2pac and Shakespeare ?  As a matter of fact Brian, you do know in jailhourse interview when he got locked up for the rape charges, 2pac said he patterned his work after shakespeare.  You did know that, right Brian ?   You did know your hero was a fan of shakespeares work ?  You did know that lil tidbit of information, right Brian ?

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »
As a matter of fact Jada Pinkett said Pac loved reading Shakespeare. 

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »

Do you feel going on rants romanticizing hip hop makes you any less white?

no, but I do feel that your abbreviated intellect, and that your brief, narrow vision of the world prevents you from understanding the things that I say.   Since your substance is weak you are stuck in the mud of bigotry, false pretense, and a retarded personal evolution.
LOL. WTF do you know about me? Just cause I don't have a man-crush on 2Pac, I am a bigot and and have a retarded personal evolution? From all the info you spilled about your life through threads and AIM, it is pretty clear that you are the bigot. Who is the one who has posted support of the ideas of white inferiority? Who is the one that blames the Jews for the problems of the world? Who is the one who makes ignorant statements like The Chronic being what Black people are like? You can take as many trips to Africa you like, you are still a cracker from Kansas City who will never experience what it's like being Black.

And as for retarded personal evolution, you are the one who is has arrested development. Aren't you in your 30s? You need to man up, accept that the peak era of West Coast hip hop is behind us and stop ignoring your son.

V2DHeart

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »
The infatuation with Death Row Records is pretty easy to answer...

First though most regard Hip Hop being at it's best overall in the 90's (best meaning more competition, more personality, flair, individuality, character etc.) having far more timeless memorable hits to fill "compilations" you find released every week/month today, and as you mentioned - Death Row had a 4 year high run at being at the top at that specific period. They were right there at the top during it all... All the big names on there Snoop, Dre & 2Pac have (arguably) all their best known work on that label

Another reason is the gang of talent the label had in the 90's... All unique as well... Then look at cash money.. They all sound, look and act the same to me.. Death Row catered for a lot of different people.. gangsta rap (Chronic) Pop fans (doggystyle) MC fans (Kurupt on Dogg Food) R&B fans..

But the main reason I think a lot still hold it high even to this day is due to the activist role they kinda played in the industry in the mid 90s from the "white industry elite V the little street/hood label".. They started out as a label down with the streets, and they really did do a lot than others who bragged about their charitable work. They went against politicians, press, other industry leaders, rights activists, running electives and with the addition of 2Pac being thrown in amongst it all with all his roaring and shouting for free speech, and controversial political opinions, they were still releasing music with the middle finger, and not laying down to pressure despite Time Warner doing so... Then to the Kamikaze pre-end in 96 where there were killed/jailed Death Row people, to where it was finally black balled from the industry finally, at a time where Hip Hop was going stale kind of made Death Row as a brand look like a martyr, so anything remotely associated with it.. Artists signed, or repping it were usually given more props and support than they deserved due to that
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »
The infatuation with Death Row Records is pretty easy to answer...

First though most regard Hip Hop being at it's best overall in the 90's (best meaning more competition, more personality, flair, individuality, character etc.) having far more timeless memorable hits to fill "compilations" you find released every week/month today, and as you mentioned - Death Row had a 4 year high run at being at the top at that specific period. They were right there at the top during it all... All the big names on there Snoop, Dre & 2Pac have (arguably) all their best known work on that label

Another reason is the gang of talent the label had in the 90's... All unique as well... Then look at cash money.. They all sound, look and act the same to me.. Death Row catered for a lot of different people.. gangsta rap (Chronic) Pop fans (doggystyle) MC fans (Kurupt on Dogg Food) R&B fans..

But the main reason I think a lot still hold it high even to this day is due to the activist role they kinda played in the industry in the mid 90s from the "white industry elite V the little street/hood label".. They started out as a label down with the streets, and they really did do a lot than others who bragged about their charitable work. They went against politicians, press, other industry leaders, rights activists, running electives and with the addition of 2Pac being thrown in amongst it all with all his roaring and shouting for free speech, and controversial political opinions, they were still releasing music with the middle finger, and not laying down to pressure despite Time Warner doing so... Then to the Kamikaze pre-end in 96 where there were killed/jailed Death Row people, to where it was finally black balled from the industry finally, at a time where Hip Hop was going stale kind of made Death Row as a brand look like a martyr, so anything remotely associated with it.. Artists signed, or repping it were usually given more props and support than they deserved due to that

Its time to move on son.  The music is timeless and no one debates that but the label has been dead for years and the former CEO was a degenerate piece of shit that gets love on the DUBCC like he invented the genre.  And one more thing, how mant small street labels are backed by a rich jew like Iovine ?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »
He's joking. I refuse to believe he's comparing a rapper and a guy whose work has stayed more relevant than anyone for 500 years.

It's like saying the iPad is a better invention than the wheel.

& maybe I missed one of his idiotic rants, but why is Pac better? Does this guy have a reason? Or is he just defending his father figure blindly?