Author Topic: Some insight on Jimmy Iovine  (Read 869 times)

HighEyeCue

Re: Some insight on Jimmy Iovine
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 05:38:27 PM »
Chinese Democracy was basically Axl and a bunch of replacement players in the mix, not really a Guns album if you asked me. I mean the bassist makes a good point about Jimmy but like Dre-Day said earlier Dre is probably mostly to blame for the delay since he is such a perfectionist and seems to have a bit of lost confidence in himself.

i hate it when people say that about gnr of today.  wheres that same statement for ac/dc, van halen, etc.  axl rose is like the barry bonds of music, no matter what he does, sometimes terrible egomaniacal shit and sometimes nothing bad at all, the media hates the guy and has projected this image towards the public who has eaten it up without any questions.

if you listened to chinese democracy, you'd know that the spirit of gnr shows throughout that album.  yeah the players are different, but really, who cares?  if you dont like the music, cool, but dont let the axl negative hype cloud the songs.

not dissing Axl at all, I think the music suffered for various reasons, one of them being that Slash and the rest weren't there. Jimmy obviously played a factor in it as well.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 01:36:45 AM »
Chinese Democracy was basically Axl and a bunch of replacement players in the mix, not really a Guns album if you asked me. I mean the bassist makes a good point about Jimmy but like Dre-Day said earlier Dre is probably mostly to blame for the delay since he is such a perfectionist and seems to have a bit of lost confidence in himself.

i hate it when people say that about gnr of today.  wheres that same statement for ac/dc, van halen, etc.  axl rose is like the barry bonds of music, no matter what he does, sometimes terrible egomaniacal shit and sometimes nothing bad at all, the media hates the guy and has projected this image towards the public who has eaten it up without any questions

ummmm ac/dc only have one good album after bon scott died, and van halen??? who the hell was fuckin with van halen after they switched members??? the point is valid

chinese democracy was an bloated and over-produced piece of shit that had none of the energy of the original guns n roses

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 09:09:28 AM »
I've been saying this for years.  Songs like I need a doctor, which blatantly are complete copycats of other generic ass commercial music, just reek of being influenced by an exec.  The amount of new music I have bought has exponentially decreased over the last 10 years, and it has nothing to do with downloading and everything to do with the fact that label execs have completely watered the music down and it sucks. 

I can't wait for the day that all the major labels are extinct like the old ass, out-of-touch dinosaurs they are.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »
I'd have to disagree. I doubt Iovine played much of a role in the Death Row days. There's a difference between approving/signing off on a project and actually micromanaging it. Iovine has been doing the latter for some time now.
Hey, believe whatever you'd like to but Jimmy's always been running the show. If Death Row handed him something he didn't think would make him profit, the shit wouldn't have come out.  I'm not saying record executives are misunderstood sweethearts but there is a certain consistency to their expectations and it's geared toward the bottom line.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 12:55:31 PM »
I'd have to disagree. I doubt Iovine played much of a role in the Death Row days. There's a difference between approving/signing off on a project and actually micromanaging it. Iovine has been doing the latter for some time now.
Hey, believe whatever you'd like to but Jimmy's always been running the show. If Death Row handed him something he didn't think would make him profit, the shit wouldn't have come out.  I'm not saying record executives are misunderstood sweethearts but there is a certain consistency to their expectations and it's geared toward the bottom line.
I'm not refuting that Jimmy didn't screen any music that came out of Death Row. All label execs review the music to be put out and determine wether it is marketable/sellable, but Jimmy was never directly involved in the recording process in Deth Row like he is with GNR or Aftermath.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 03:12:24 PM »

i hate it when people say that about gnr of today.  wheres that same statement for ac/dc, van halen, etc.  axl rose is like the barry bonds of music, no matter what he does, sometimes terrible egomaniacal shit and sometimes nothing bad at all, the media hates the guy and has projected this image towards the public who has eaten it up without any questions

ummmm ac/dc only have one good album after bon scott died, and van halen??? who the hell was fuckin with van halen after they switched members??? the point is valid

chinese democracy was an bloated and over-produced piece of shit that had none of the energy of the original guns n roses

Well answer this then.  Have u listened to what the other former members of GNR have done since leaving GNR?  Not even close to what Axls put out on Chinese Democracy.  What im saying is at least axl made an attempt (if you think he didnt pull it off, fine) to be different and not put out some generic sounding shit.  That right there tells me who was more the creative force behind the band. 
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Blood$

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
just the other day my homie and I were comparing Detox/Chinese Democracy too lol crazy

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 06:39:08 PM »
^ not really crazy, the comparison has been made countless times
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

The_Ripper

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 01:45:39 AM »
"The album changes, the dates change, the climate changes,Interscope changed and went in another direction for a minute and then they come back," Game explained in an interview. "It's just the business; sh*t gets pushed back. Either wait for it or don't buy it. I don't give a f*ck. I never beg anybody to buy my albums"

fuck interscope and jimmy iovine
If you get in a fight, and somebody yells “worldstar”. You better fight for your life.

Tutlock

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 01:56:55 AM »
Chinese Democracy was basically Axl and a bunch of replacement players in the mix, not really a Guns album if you asked me.
Chinese Democracy had some nice songs, but a real Guns N Roses album has Axl AND Slash.

yes, G n´R hasn´t been the same in 20 years so i wouldn´t put the blame on just Iovine for the outcome . though i don´t doubt his bad influence on any project he´s involved in.

sofdark

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 02:53:21 AM »
this kinda explains why D.O.C. was mad about how Dre listens to Jimmy so much.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 06:02:21 AM »
D.O.C. is mad that he's not influential like in the past

sofdark

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 08:55:47 AM »

but imagine seeing one of your best friend listening to someone who blocks progress in the project and when you try to tell your friend how things are, he ignores you and listen to the other fella.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 10:58:18 AM »

but imagine seeing one of your best friend listening to someone who blocks progress in the project and when you try to tell your friend how things are, he ignores you and listen to the other fella.

jimmy iovone blocks progress? how about dre's mind?
note: i'm not a fan of jimmy ;)

anyway, i've read D.O.C.'s interviews & it seems like he doesn't dare to be honest to dre. he just rants in the media