Author Topic: Serious question: Does Game have any classic songs?  (Read 1391 times)

Portugoal

Re: Serious question: Does Game have any classic songs?
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2011, 01:22:03 AM »
I remember the hype around "Higher" when it first leaked. Everybody was going nuts over that record. Dre even had that line "Look out for Detox" on there. The Game was the one who'd resurrect the west coast. He sort of did. Many rappers that are being talked about now (on this forum at least) were put on by Game or with his help.

A few days after "Higher" "Fresh '83" (anyone? :)) leaked, which I didn't like much, but it got many great responses. A little bit later they put out "Westside Story" with Snoop (or 50, I'm not sure) and that got a very negative response initially. I admit, it grew on me too.

I wish they didn't tweak the "Higher" song a little bit for the retail version, but it's still one of the greatest songs in west coast hip hop IMO. It's a personal classic for me because:
1. it's simply a great song.
2. it started a hype that lasted till after "Doctor's Advocate".
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:44:50 AM by Maudizzle »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2011, 01:40:26 AM »
You guys seem to be forgetting the impact "How We Do" had....

It was the first time Dre had made a Westcoast beat for a Westcoast artist other than himself in 6 years. It was the first time an artist had charted a top single on the Westcoast other than Snoop and Dre in god knows how long....

That's all well and good but this is something only dubcc nerds will think about. How many people who know the song know or care about any of that? How many people even know its a Game song? To most people its probably just one of 50's smaller hits.

It's one of those songs that comes on in the club 6 years later, and EVERYONE will groove to it like it just came out.

Haven't heard this in the club since it was popular. It's not a club staple. It was a throwaway single from his album.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2011, 01:43:55 AM »
Turn on the radio & hear it? I haven't heard Hate It or Love It on the radio since the summer it came out. Let's calm down.

Maybe "In Da Club" is a classic. It's easily a personal classic to me. I just didn't think it was regarded so highly by other Hip Hop fans.

I dont listen to the radio maybe once a month and i hear how we do whenever i do listen to the radio, gets good rotation i'm willing to bet that record gets a good amount of spins still.

Now you're just making shit up to support your argument. "Frisco living" huh? I'm from the bay and I listen to our rap stations, that song doesn't get play and hasn't since the year it came out.

Okka

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2011, 07:10:30 AM »
I remember the hype around "Higher" when it first leaked. Everybody was going nuts over that record. Dre even had that line "Look out for Detox" on there. The Game was the one who'd resurrect the west coast. He sort of did. Many rappers that are being talked about now (on this forum at least) were put on by Game or with his help.

A few days after "Higher" "Fresh '83" (anyone? :)) leaked, which I didn't like much, but it got many great responses. A little bit later they put out "Westside Story" with Snoop (or 50, I'm not sure) and that got a very negative response initially. I admit, it grew on me too.

I think "Westside Story" with 50 was the first song from that came out from the album. I remember bumpin' that shit ages ago. It was premiered on Aftermathmusic.com if i remember right. I can't remember it gettin' negative response either, but i might be wrong. I remember that "How We Do"/"Fresh '83" and "Hate It Or Love It"/"Envy Me" were both premiered on DubCNN though.

2euce 7even

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2011, 07:22:40 AM »
"Old Englsih"
"One Night"
"Never Be Friends"

Portugoal

« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2011, 08:58:27 AM »

I think "Westside Story" with 50 was the first song from that came out from the album. I remember bumpin' that shit ages ago. It was premiered on Aftermathmusic.com if i remember right. I can't remember it gettin' negative response either, but i might be wrong. I remember that "How We Do"/"Fresh '83" and "Hate It Or Love It"/"Envy Me" were both premiered on DubCNN though.

You may be right about Westside Story actually... but I remember Higher being Game's first Dre produced song that came out ???

Higher definitely came out before How We Do though and that was the song that got 'internet folks' hyped about The Game. People loved it when he said "it's that Compton Compton Compton Compton..."

friscoliving

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »
Turn on the radio & hear it? I haven't heard Hate It or Love It on the radio since the summer it came out. Let's calm down.

Maybe "In Da Club" is a classic. It's easily a personal classic to me. I just didn't think it was regarded so highly by other Hip Hop fans.

I dont listen to the radio maybe once a month and i hear how we do whenever i do listen to the radio, gets good rotation i'm willing to bet that record gets a good amount of spins still.

Now you're just making shit up to support your argument. "Frisco living" huh? I'm from the bay and I listen to our rap stations, that song doesn't get play and hasn't since the year it came out.

106 kmel...usually during the day where they will throw some throwback tracks on. I've only heard it during the day and why would i make some stupid shit like that up

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »

lol i hated all of it at first. i was a game hater to the max, sooner or later i gave in, lol.

i guess u can consider some tracks a classic, but dude was basically a one hit wonder in terms of an album.

u can consider those tracks classic like you consider "ghetto jam" or "i wish i was a baller" classic, imo not a legendary classic like chronic etc etcd

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
I actually think it has a lot to do with Game not really being original & his lyrics being weak for the most part. I think the name dropping really hurt him.

Then again, going by my theories on Hip Hop, if The Documentary or Doctor's Advocate came out in the 90's, they would probably be regarded as a classics. They were just 10+ years late lol.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2011, 04:15:11 PM »
I actually think it has a lot to do with Game not really being original & his lyrics being weak for the most part. I think the name dropping really hurt him.

Then again, going by my theories on Hip Hop, if The Documentary or Doctor's Advocate came out in the 90's, they would probably be regarded as a classics. They were just 10+ years late lol.

maybe, but game wouldnt of had dre beats unless he signed to deathrow and i dont see deathrow tarnishing their establishment by signing a very weak rapper in game when deathrow was in its prime.

name dropping hurt his whole career and image indefinitely, imo i just try to say its just games style  to refrain myself from hating a decent song just because he name drops so much.

and yes game is anything but original, thats why i really dont think he deserves any of his songs to be a classic. but i mean if anything were, id say how we do, hate it or love it, or westside story.

i mean when u think of game u usually think of those tracks, but imo far from classics

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »
This question all comes down to what's a classic? I would say for 1, it had to have a significant impact in the game, or at least big enough to be remembered. Next, it would had to have been felt by the majority of fans, even to this day. And lastly, some will disagree, but I think it would have to actually move units and be known outside of the world of rap. And for that reason, Hate It Or Love It is the closest thing Game has, and personally I would consider it classic. Let's not forget though, i'd say 99% of people who weren't in the know, thought that was a 50 Cent song.

And to that fool who said Beethoven is classic, rap is just entertainment, you are a fuckin moron. Let me guess, you used to listen to rap, then grew out of it as you got older and it got worse, now you listen to "real" music, right? Music not for kids and teens, right? I see people like you all the time, and straight up, people like you are a disgrace to music. Let me guess, you also used to wear XL tees and now wear V-necks because you grew up? I talk to industry dudes all the time and the vast majority of them have great respect for the history of hip-hop, and still do. So fuck off with that egotistical bullshit, you flavor-of-the-month faggot.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:20:35 PM by TDOT »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2011, 04:19:51 PM »
Yeah, like somebody said, the G-Unit Remix to that is just as good as the OG.

This question all comes down to what's a classic? I would say for 1, it had to have a significant impact in the game, or at least big enough to be remembered. Next, it would had to have been felt by the majority of fans, even to this day. And lastly, some will disagree, but I think it would have to actually move units and be known outside of the world of rap.

Yeah, but going by those criteria, Lil' Wayne's "Lollipop" is a near classic lol.

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2011, 04:25:32 PM »
Sure it was known, and moved units, but is actually considered by most people I know as one of the worst songs in the history of hip hop (can't deny that). It also had absolutely no impact on rap (aside from being one of the lowest points in it's history). I'd say, had that song been considered great by fans (and no i'm not talking 13 year old rich girls), and had been in some sort innovative/had an impact on the game, then maybe it would be classic. But that track actually fits the bill for worst songs of all time in my book.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:27:41 PM by TDOT »

For Teh Lulz

• 'G'
  • No , not really.
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
Old English
Angel
One Night
Remedy
Why You Hate The Game
No More Fun And Games
Don't Need Your Love

just to name a few.
CAN I HAZ D;

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2011, 06:59:33 PM »

But if those albums came out in the 90s, what would Game be rapping about? His entire career is based on reminiscing about the 90s, namedropping the artists from that time and reusing their lines and phrases. Game in the 90s couldn't even exist.