Author Topic: Hip Hop Beats are BullShit!!!  (Read 264 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Hip Hop Beats are BullShit!!!
« on: January 17, 2003, 07:54:19 AM »
Let me ask you guys something.

If someone like Lenny Kravits, Bruce Springsteen, or Lionel Rithchie made an Album and used lyrics by Nas, Pac, Krs-One (or who ever). What would you say?

Rock and RnB ARTISTS put a lot of effort into the melodies they compose for their albums. Then some hip hop producer or DJ hears them, likes them, and steals them.

People actually have the odacity to compare which producers make better beats, and then compare Hip Hop albums based on stolen instrumentals. The beatnuts recently bashed JLo for taking there beat, when they stole it themselves.

Hip Hop should be judged by the vocals and the vocals alone, because that is the only part of it that is original. Lyrics, Rhyme Patterns, and Flow. Nothing else.

You had a thread stating that Rza's production is better than Eminem's. From what I understand Eminem and Jeff Bass originally compose the instrumentals on the album (Eminem Show), RZA samples, he steals melodies and puts them on his tracks. Check the credits. If the original song is older than a certain number of years than it does not have to be credited, but that does not mean that it was not used.

I know the producers job is not to create music but to put it together. Ultimately the producer's purpose is to get the album to sell copies in which case Eminem is without a doubt the best producer in the game right now.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re:Hip Hop Beats are BullShit!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 09:31:02 AM »
Actually, with the cost of sampling now-a-days, a lot of producers are moving away from that, because it is too costly, and most the money goes to the original artist, and not the rapper or producer. So to make money, producers have to make their own beats. Which is why some people like the Roots do all their own music, Dre doesn't sample, and whatnot. And people do judge rappers by vocals, do you hear anyone saying Nelly is great just because he has the best beats, or Big Tymers, or anything Neptunes. Peace

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 10:06:28 AM »
Another thing people do (puff daddy and dre do this) is re-record the sample.  Like Puff didn't jack "every breath you take" from the original recording, he just re-recorded the bassline and guitar from the original song.  That way, you only have to pay publishing royalties, and don't have to pay performance royalties (you didn't take the performance, just the song).  

Yeah!

• 'G'
  • Don't Get It Twisted!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 05:10:21 PM »
Good points...except...

Eminem isnt the only one that composes music.

As always im reppin for my man. QUIK. The most underrated Playa in  the game. Why? Cause of threads like this. How can people call Eminem the best producer or the most original producer when someone like Quik barley ever uses samples. He did back in the day when he was startin out but look at him now. Under Tha Influence (correct me if im wrong) didnt jack shit. Im sure he sampled some bass lines or drums but hey, for the most part its all OG.

Under Tha Influence is now my fav Quik album. You really have to listen HARD to understand the musical genious behind it. I listened to that whole damn thing on headphones while i was goin to sleep and thats when i realized how original it was. Quik fans didnt like the cd. Basicly cause it was different. But i now understand what Quik meant when he said its a whole different kind of music. You just gotta listen close to hear it. Its not as simple as you think by hearing it once or twice. I wish i could tell Quik this because I think this is part of the reason hes retiring. The fans didnt understand and appriciate his hard work on this record. Saleswise he failed. Was it because it was too underground. NAW, its cause the game aint ready for it yet.

Dr Dres gonna do the same on Detox. You wont get that Dre sound you all love. Im 99% sure hes gonna switch it up. Alot of people are gonna be let down i bet. Cause i dont think Dre wants to do that same ole sound. Im gonna buy the record though. For the music. Not for the name. Not for the big name, Dr. Dre.

Maybe i didnt prove why Quiks the best in this post. But I strongly urge everyone that owns Under Tha Influence to take a deep listen to it on headphones. Feel the music. He really is a "musical genious".

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 10:30:42 PM »
dj quik is still the 2nd best producer of all time, but 80% of his beats are from Zapp and Roger, Parliament , and the doobie brothers

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 10:32:48 PM »
Let me ask you guys something.

If someone like Lenny Kravits, Bruce Springsteen, or Lionel Rithchie made an Album and used lyrics by Nas, Pac, Krs-One (or who ever). What would you say?

Rock and RnB ARTISTS put a lot of effort into the melodies they compose for their albums. Then some hip hop producer or DJ hears them, likes them, and steals them.

People actually have the odacity to compare which producers make better beats, and then compare Hip Hop albums based on stolen instrumentals. The beatnuts recently bashed JLo for taking there beat, when they stole it themselves.

Hip Hop should be judged by the vocals and the vocals alone, because that is the only part of it that is original. Lyrics, Rhyme Patterns, and Flow. Nothing else.

You had a thread stating that Rza's production is better than Eminem's. From what I understand Eminem and Jeff Bass originally compose the instrumentals on the album (Eminem Show), RZA samples, he steals melodies and puts them on his tracks. Check the credits. If the original song is older than a certain number of years than it does not have to be credited, but that does not mean that it was not used.

I know the producers job is not to create music but to put it together. Ultimately the producer's purpose is to get the album to sell copies in which case Eminem is without a doubt the best producer in the game right now.

::gives props::

where have you been all my life homie? ;D

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

mauzip

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2003, 12:09:12 AM »
Eminem, Dr. Dre, DJ Quik, Mannie Fresh, Timbaland...

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2003, 12:36:18 AM »
As I said, coast too much money to sample. D.J. Quik and Dre used to be the biggest samplers, and now they switched up to making their own shit. Some people like Snoop's producers, and Premier still sample, but that's for the pure Hip-Hop feel to it, not because of unoriginality. I say Hip-Hop is still growing, it's only 20 years in the mainstream, and has never been defined with a certain sound. It will be interesting what exactly producers do with the music, and how artist are able to flow over it.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2003, 06:03:03 AM »
To me there's still pretty much of a difference between just sampling parts of a song (like I'll Be Missing You for example, even though I don't like that song) and completly jackin a beat like J-Lo's producers did. I've never heard "Hi-Jack" but as far as I know the original original doesn't exactly have the "Watch Out Now" beat, it's just that flute sample...correct me if I'm wrong

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2003, 06:13:58 AM »
Eminem, Dr. Dre, DJ Quik, Mannie Fresh, Timbaland...

Organized Noize, The Neptunes

P Nelson

• 40 illa
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2003, 12:02:54 AM »
Yea, sometimes I get bored of sampling and producers have to much credits for some beats.. Example(Jay Z - Bonnie & Clyde) lol.. and everybody used that paper'd up beat, from 2 Pac from Lil Wayne, Snoop, etc.. Thats why I respect the West Coast producers more sometimes

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2003, 12:45:02 AM »
^^ LOL Papp'rd up was a sample too, LOL The O.G. was some old 70's track.

* Still waiting for somebody to come in and say Dre's more talented than Quincy Jones again.  

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2003, 03:29:34 AM »
well, as far as judging HipHop first and for all by the lyrics ,rhyme patterns and flowes I agree 100%, this is basicly the first principle of being a listener of lyrics.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2003, 09:26:05 AM »
I have to say that I prefer it when hip-hop Producer's don't sample, because when they do come up with something mindblowing it makes me proud to be a hip-hop fan, BUT now and again I do like hearing samples used because I think it's interesting to see what kinds of things these producers can do with them.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.