Author Topic: Jay-Z & Kanye West-Watch The Throne (Album Discussion)  (Read 11133 times)

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
Re: Jay-Z & Kanye West-Watch The Throne (Album Discussion)
« Reply #375 on: September 26, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
Yeah, I forced myself through it about five times and I find it to be a chore. This is not getting any plays from me in the future.

It's not that the album is bad, it's just sort of there with no redeeming qualities

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #376 on: September 26, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »
Its a very good mainstream album. A lot of hate on here for it but it DOES have replay value and Kanye and Jay both do okay lyrically. Neither have their finest moments but the songs and the album as a whole is a very good pop rap album and a lot of the beats are good quality. Not as good as MBDTF, but better than Blueprint III, imo.

PLANT

« Reply #377 on: September 26, 2011, 03:59:39 PM »
this album still sucks.  listening to these guys talk about how awesome they are for an hour is wack.  fuck the throne.

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #378 on: September 26, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
this album still sucks.  listening to these guys talk about how awesome they are for an hour is wack.  fuck the throne.

I can understand why people think its wack, thats fine, but for THAT reason? A lot of classic hip-hop songs and albums have been basically people talking about how awesome they are. Not really grounds for criticism in this genre considering braggadocio is what the lyrical game is practically built on.

Will_B

« Reply #379 on: September 26, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »
Just saw the video for Otis on UK tv.

Song ok but the videos dope...takes me back to when rap videos looked expensive/iconic!

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #380 on: September 26, 2011, 05:11:31 PM »

I can understand why people think its wack, thats fine, but for THAT reason? A lot of classic hip-hop songs and albums have been basically people talking about how awesome they are. Not really grounds for criticism in this genre considering braggadocio is what the lyrical game is practically built on.

It's Jay & Kanye, you have to understand people just naturally don't like them. A lot of people, when speaking on this album say they are both "mediocre" lyrically, like they've been lyrical monsters their entire career.

Kanye's always been about his vibe; he brought that to this album. Jay rides overs beats; he did that. They did what they've been up to both of their careers, the difference is they made an album which implies they are the best.

Kanye's last solo album got some love here & he had songs like "Power", "So Appalled" & "Monster", "Dark Fantasy" & "Hell of a Life". I mean, you can say these songs are better for whatever reason, production, hooks, whatever. But you can't say he's "great" lyrically or shows great variety in content, when these songs I just named are all about him being the shit.

People just need to admit they don't like the two of them being the face of rap or whatever it is that bothers them. But there is clearly some personal bias against the two of them.

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #381 on: September 26, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »
I like both artists doesn't change the fact they both phoned this album in. Sounds like a bunch of directionless leftovers and scraps that weren't good enough for either of their albums. Kanye isn't lyrical but he's witty and has charisma. On this album I can't even recall a single line from him that's how meh he came on it. Jay sounded bored on most songs. This album could have been great but it's not. Six months from now this album will be forgotten and it won't any year end lists other then most dissapointing

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #382 on: September 26, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »
I like both artists doesn't change the fact they both phoned this album in.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #383 on: September 27, 2011, 12:54:04 AM »
I like both artists doesn't change the fact they both phoned this album in

Will_B

« Reply #384 on: September 27, 2011, 02:40:22 AM »
album could have been great but it's not. Six months from now this album will be forgotten and it won't any year end lists other then most dissapointing

Haven't heard this ye,t but I actually go back to 'Unfinished Business' a lot because there was a lot of humour in that album..great entertainment value.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #385 on: September 27, 2011, 06:55:41 AM »

It's Jay & Kanye, you have to understand people just naturally don't like them. A lot of people, when speaking on this album say they are both "mediocre" lyrically, like they've been lyrical monsters their entire career.

Kanye's always been about his vibe; he brought that to this album. Jay rides overs beats; he did that. They did what they've been up to both of their careers, the difference is they made an album which implies they are the best.

Kanye's last solo album got some love here & he had songs like "Power", "So Appalled" & "Monster", "Dark Fantasy" & "Hell of a Life". I mean, you can say these songs are better for whatever reason, production, hooks, whatever. But you can't say he's "great" lyrically or shows great variety in content, when these songs I just named are all about him being the shit.

People just need to admit they don't like the two of them being the face of rap or whatever it is that bothers them. But there is clearly some personal bias against the two of them.

Why can't it be people are just not feeling the album? Why does there have to be a motive? I judge albums as they are, albums. Not what you did 15 years ago or what you plan on doing after this one. And at the moment for me this album is ehh. Nothing bad nothing spectacular lyrically, but nice beats.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #386 on: September 28, 2011, 09:36:47 AM »

Just realized the same analogy can be used for you and J. Cole

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #387 on: September 28, 2011, 11:43:44 AM »

But yours is a theory on me. Mine is basically true, nobody just wants to admit to a biased opinion.

Like I said, look at the critiques. "Not very lyrical". They've never been lyrical. Not to mention a few people in this thread have mentioned it: "Who wants to listen to them brag about they're the shit for an hour?". I mean that's probably everyone's thought right there.

The Cole reference makes no sense. Because he had expectations to live up to & then put out an album worse than his first street album.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #388 on: September 28, 2011, 12:14:59 PM »

But yours is a theory on me. Mine is basically true, nobody just wants to admit to a biased opinion.

Like I said, look at the critiques. "Not very lyrical". They've never been lyrical. Not to mention a few people in this thread have mentioned it: "Who wants to listen to them brag about they're the shit for an hour?". I mean that's probably everyone's thought right there.

The Cole reference makes no sense. Because he had expectations to live up to & then put out an album worse than his first street album.

Yours is the theory. And it makes less sense. How can it be true when the people disagreeing with you are people who like Jay and 'Ye? While its known you don't like J.Cole, so you are the one with a biased opinion. And lmao @ thinking Jay-Z has never been lyrical.

And why would J.Cole have higher expectations than the two biggest rappers in the game? Two rappers who put out a collab album worse than their last two solos. Cole World >>> Watch the Throne.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #389 on: September 28, 2011, 12:35:06 PM »

Yours is the theory. And it makes less sense. How can it be true when the people disagreeing with you are people who like Jay and 'Ye? While its known you don't like J.Cole, so you are the one with a biased opinion. And lmao @ thinking Jay-Z has never been lyrical.

And why would J.Cole have higher expectations than the two biggest rappers in the game? Two rappers who put out a collab album worse than their last two solos. Cole World >>> Watch the Throne.

lol, I mean I like J. Cole. So clearly, it's pretty easy to just say you like somebody. I liked Cole's "Warm Up". He just hasn't progressed from it. He's actually gotten worse & you guys are acting like he's showing signs of getting better. I just think that's foolish. That's basically all I wanted to point out. Is that this is likely the best he'll ever be & it's nothing all that special. I mean, don't you agree? Doesn't everybody here agree that this album isn't going down as anything all-time?

& what a stupid question lol. I mean, when Jordan came back on the Wizards, did he have higher expectations than Kobe? No. People were just like, "oh, dope. MJ is back". But Kobe had to prove he was ready to take over. Cole clearly has higher expectations. Two great rappers, falling out of their prime don't really have standards. Cole, "the golden child", "next in line", etc, etc., who ironically enough is signed with the other two & is suppose to put out an album that at least matches some of their work. Sure, you can say it's better than "Watch The Throne". But "Cole World" isn't in the same sport (let alone league), as any of the great albums Jay or Kanye have been known for.