Author Topic: Xzibit named his new album "Restless 2".  (Read 1893 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: Xzibit named his new album "Restless 2".
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
for those who were around at the time, "Restless" was actually considered a disappointment when it first dropped...i personally thought it was the shit, but i remember most peeps around here were expecting another "2001" and thought "Restless" was too watered down.

Too watered down? Stop smoking crack, 2001 is wayyy more watered down than any X album.

LMAO. "2001" changed the sound of west coast rap, buddy...get off the pipe.

Yes, it did. One of my favorite albums. Doesn't change the fact its watered down to appeal to the mainstream with simple, hard-hitting beats and lyrics far simpler (aka watered down) than an Xzibit album. How many songs on 2001 had meaningful lyrics compared to Restless?

Yeah, Restless definitely had more meaningful lyrics, I'll give you that.  But if Restless had sold 7 Million and Dre's 2001 had sold 1 Million, then you would probably be doing the opposite right now and dissing the Restless LP and promoting Dre's 2001 album.  Saying something like, "Restless LP may have had more meaningful lyrics, but Dre's 2001 had flawless production and every track was a banger"

Its still more watered-down than Restless.

Sccit

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2011, 02:44:36 PM »
for those who were around at the time, "Restless" was actually considered a disappointment when it first dropped...i personally thought it was the shit, but i remember most peeps around here were expecting another "2001" and thought "Restless" was too watered down.

Too watered down? Stop smoking crack, 2001 is wayyy more watered down than any X album.

Yes, it did. One of my favorite albums. Doesn't change the fact its watered down to appeal to the mainstream with simple, hard-hitting beats and lyrics far simpler (aka watered down) than an Xzibit album. How many songs on 2001 had meaningful lyrics compared to Restless?

Yeah, Restless definitely had more meaningful lyrics, I'll give you that.  But if Restless had sold 7 Million and Dre's 2001 had sold 1 Million, then you would probably be doing the opposite right now and dissing the Restless LP and promoting Dre's 2001 album.  Saying something like, "Restless LP may have had more meaningful lyrics, but Dre's 2001 had flawless production and every track was a banger"

not really..."2001" had an innovative gangsta sound. "Restless" went for the same exact sound, but obviously wasn't as original, as "2001" was its predecessor. "Restless" tried to appeal commercially in every aspect that "2001" did... compare "Restless" to Xzibit's previous work, then compare "2001" to Dre's previous work, and try tellin me that "2001" is more watered down. LOL

Sccit

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2011, 02:57:57 PM »
Restless is a higher quality album than Xzibit's first two.  From production, to guest appearances, it's a fully realized album from top to bottom.   You don't have to down Xzibit's Restless LP just to big up his first two albums.   I love Xzibit's first two albums, they are two of my favorites of all time to me and also hold a lot of sentimental value, but I am rational enough to admit the obvious that Restless LP was his best album.  

For me, I do have to admit that At The Speed of Life did fall under the radar for me when it first came out.  All I remember was reading about it in the Source, and about Xzibit being an upcoming artist.  I thought it looked dope but I was only 14, and since they weren't playing it on the radio and there was no video, and there was no Death Row affiliates on the album.. it was likely to fall under my radar.

Then when 40 Days and 40 Nights came out some of you might remember the video for "What U See Is What U Get" was #1 on BET Rap City for nearly the entire summer of 1998.  Shows how much BET fell the fuck off after they sold their company to Jews at Viacom (same company that owns BET) the next year.   But I was feeling the video, and I noticed King Tee in the video since by that time King Tee was down with Dre and Aftermath, and I was starting to feel like Xzibit might be a big artist.  But still, the album fell just barely below the radar for me.

Then, finally, right around the time No LImit Top Dogg came out in early 99, I saw Xzibit on BET's late night news show announcing that his next album was going to be executive produced by Dr. Dre.  It was hard to believe because I knew he was signed to Loud Records and that he wasn't on Aftermath.  But just hearing this news, made me rush out and buy 40 Days 40 Nightz.  I was especially interested in track 13 "Welcome To LA" since it was produced by Mel Man and it really had that Aftermath Sound to it.  That track was really a preview for me of what a Dre executive produced album might sound like.  The rest of the album sounded a little too raw for me, but I still liked it marginally.

Then by the summer of 2000 after hearing X on Dre's album I was an all out Xzibit fan.  By that time I was heavily anticipating his album, and so I was bumping 40 Days and 40 Nights nearly every day.  "Focus" was one of my favorite joints and with "3 Card Molly" I was getting into Ras Kas and other Xzibit family/affiliates.  Then I finally bought At The Speed of Light and I was really blown away by how deep that album was.  Xzibit really put his heart into that album and being 18 years old just moving out on my own for the first time I really connected with that album, because it was the snapshot of a young artist just breaking out on his own and trying to find success on his own terms in a dangerous world full of possibilities.    

Yea...I think his first 3 albums are all classics, but I'd put "At the Speed of Life" at the top of the list, though. "Restless" was produced better, but as others said, Xzibit's style was always known to be more raw and less clean-cut, and when he got with Dre, he sorta lost that aspect to his music. I can see why the hardcore Xzibit/Likwit fans were initially disappointed with "Restless", because it didn't sound like the traditional Xzibit...but by now, I'm sure they all realize how great "Restless" really was. Especially after hearin his recent efforts.

Sccit

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »

Yeah, Restless definitely had more meaningful lyrics, I'll give you that. 

I dunno about that...they were both "gangsta" themed albums with a couple deep tracks. Don't forget, Dre had "The Message", which was probably deeper than any track on "Restless". Overall, I think both albums went for the exact same sound, as Dre exec produced both of 'em.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »
for those who were around at the time, "Restless" was actually considered a disappointment when it first dropped...i personally thought it was the shit, but i remember most peeps around here were expecting another "2001" and thought "Restless" was too watered down. I bet those same peeps appreciate the shit out of it by now.

come on dawg, everyone was appreciating it.  I mean, your always gonna have haters no matter what, there were probably cats that even hated on Dre when the Chronic came out, or on Snoop when Doggystyle came out.

But aside from those negetive fucks that always find a reason to hate; I think everyone was pleased with Restless then and now.  And Xzibit had the sales to back it up.

Yeah some people wanted to act like diehards and win fan of the year awards so they said they liked at the speed of light better or 40 days and 40 nights better... but the overwhelming reception was that X had finally reached superstar status and became a true west coast heavywieght double platinum artist.

I'm excited about the new album and I hope he comes thru because X is in my top 5 all time, along with Pac, Nas, Em and Snoop.

"Thank You" was a spectacular track that brought tears to my eyes, it was like a modern day Papparazi and proved X still has something left in "the basement" to take a quote from Rocky Balboa.

VVVVV

I would give it a 3 or 3.5 out of 5. I honestly do't think Dre and X make a good combo. He should stick to his "Speed of Life" formula.

Who found Xzibits album Restless a bit of a dissapointment.
Its not as good as At the speeed of life or 40 Dayz and 40 Nightz.

xzibit's first 2 albums are classsics and RESTLESS is a piece of shit!

7/10 beacuse the album have some wack songs in the end of the cd like: dont approach me, best of things and loud&clear 

Now as for the "Aftermath Affiliated" Xzibit, well he's done some so so collabs and dropped 2 poor albums....(although i don't mind "Man v Machine" not a bad album)

This new Xzibit will never be missed

"Throws a half eaten Mars Bar onto the ground"

His first 2 albums are classics....most of the people like the 2 last albums cuz are more commercial.

No doubt homie, I'll miss that old Xzibit/Likwit vibe!!

Anyone who thinks X'z first album sucked probably think Ja Rule & Nelly are good emcee's & that Snoop is better than ever (yes including better than 1992-1995 period!).

The real hip hop fans know which albums are better

At The Speed Of Life is one of my favorite albums ever. Lyrics, content, hard hitting hip hop beats man this album rocks.
40 Days was very good, not as good as the first but more west coast orientated
Restless was good a dissapointment

X has dropped 2 near classics during his likwit period.
X has dropped 2 disappointments/average albums since hooking up with dre.

I'll let u think about that.

As for ras i hope he never hooks up with dre, coz after whats happened to X i would hate to see ras go down the same road.

but hey thats just me.

that's not only you dogg !!!
that's every xzibit fan, that was down wit him from day one!!!

we all feeln same shit...

Gangsta T

Nice to see im not alone but it just seems like there are alot of newcomers to Xzibit, who think his new  dre affiliated albums are better than ATSPL and 40 dayz... which i can't understand...

Im with you too. At the speed of life was amazing. One of the best cds i own. Its hard to believe this is the same xzibit thats rapping about "choke me spank me pull my hair".

see, man, i remember it like it was yesterday....no way "restless" got the reception a typical classic gets. a whole lot of Likwit/Xzibit fans were disappointed, and many peeps felt he fell off. I personally saw it's worth, but i still remember when it came out, many other peeps didn't...

Ahhhh I mean, that is proof, yeah... but I consider all that to be hating and I don't really even recognize that shit.   

...and your right about 2001 being the origional, because I think Xzibit just ended up with leftover sounds from 2001 sessions that set his album up.   
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »
for those who were around at the time, "Restless" was actually considered a disappointment when it first dropped...i personally thought it was the shit, but i remember most peeps around here were expecting another "2001" and thought "Restless" was too watered down. I bet those same peeps appreciate the shit out of it by now.

come on dawg, everyone was appreciating it.  I mean, your always gonna have haters no matter what, there were probably cats that even hated on Dre when the Chronic came out, or on Snoop when Doggystyle came out.

But aside from those negetive fucks that always find a reason to hate; I think everyone was pleased with Restless then and now.  And Xzibit had the sales to back it up.

Yeah some people wanted to act like diehards and win fan of the year awards so they said they liked at the speed of light better or 40 days and 40 nights better... but the overwhelming reception was that X had finally reached superstar status and became a true west coast heavywieght double platinum artist.

I'm excited about the new album and I hope he comes thru because X is in my top 5 all time, along with Pac, Nas, Em and Snoop.

"Thank You" was a spectacular track that brought tears to my eyes, it was like a modern day Papparazi and proved X still has something left in "the basement" to take a quote from Rocky Balboa.

VVVVV

I would give it a 3 or 3.5 out of 5. I honestly do't think Dre and X make a good combo. He should stick to his "Speed of Life" formula.

Who found Xzibits album Restless a bit of a dissapointment.
Its not as good as At the speeed of life or 40 Dayz and 40 Nightz.

xzibit's first 2 albums are classsics and RESTLESS is a piece of shit!

7/10 beacuse the album have some wack songs in the end of the cd like: dont approach me, best of things and loud&clear 

Now as for the "Aftermath Affiliated" Xzibit, well he's done some so so collabs and dropped 2 poor albums....(although i don't mind "Man v Machine" not a bad album)

This new Xzibit will never be missed

"Throws a half eaten Mars Bar onto the ground"

His first 2 albums are classics....most of the people like the 2 last albums cuz are more commercial.

No doubt homie, I'll miss that old Xzibit/Likwit vibe!!

Anyone who thinks X'z first album sucked probably think Ja Rule & Nelly are good emcee's & that Snoop is better than ever (yes including better than 1992-1995 period!).

The real hip hop fans know which albums are better

At The Speed Of Life is one of my favorite albums ever. Lyrics, content, hard hitting hip hop beats man this album rocks.
40 Days was very good, not as good as the first but more west coast orientated
Restless was good a dissapointment

I'll let u think about that.

As for ras i hope he never hooks up with dre, coz after whats happened to X i would hate to see ras go down the same road.

but hey thats just me.

that's not only you dogg !!!
that's every xzibit fan, that was down wit him from day one!!!

we all feeln same shit...

Gangsta T

Nice to see im not alone but it just seems like there are alot of newcomers to Xzibit, who think his new  dre affiliated albums are better than ATSPL and 40 dayz... which i can't understand...

Im with you too. At the speed of life was amazing. One of the best cds i own. Its hard to believe this is the same xzibit thats rapping about "choke me spank me pull my hair".

see, man, i remember it like it was yesterday....no way "restless" got the reception a typical classic gets. a whole lot of Likwit/Xzibit fans were disappointed, and many peeps felt he fell off. I personally saw it's worth, but i still remember when it came out, many other peeps didn't...

Ahhhh I mean, that is proof, yeah... but I consider all that to be hating and I don't really even recognize that shit.   

...and your right about 2001 being the origional, because I think Xzibit just ended up with leftover sounds from 2001 sessions that set his album up.   

^yea...I think if "Restless" dropped today as opposed to back then, the reception would be a lot different (more positive).

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »

not really..."2001" had an innovative gangsta sound. "Restless" went for the same exact sound, but obviously wasn't as original, as "2001" was its predecessor. "Restless" tried to appeal commercially in every aspect that "2001" did... compare "Restless" to Xzibit's previous work, then compare "2001" to Dre's previous work, and try tellin me that "2001" is more watered down. LOL

Restless was watered down compared X's prev work. But its far ahead of 2001 when it comes to content. Dre has always been watered down. And you were comparing it to 2001 when you said people thought it was watered down. Yeah 2001 had "The Message" but that was the only meaningful song on there. And lyrically I don't think there's any question. Even on his singles X was bringing heat, meanwhile Kurupt was sleepwalking through his features and rhyming bitch together 10 times. Really the only impressive rhyming on 2001 came from Eminem and Xzibit, and Em was on two songs.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2011, 05:52:21 PM »
Restless is a higher quality album than Xzibit's first two.  From production, to guest appearances, it's a fully realized album from top to bottom.   You don't have to down Xzibit's Restless LP just to big up his first two albums.   I love Xzibit's first two albums, they are two of my favorites of all time to me and also hold a lot of sentimental value, but I am rational enough to admit the obvious that Restless LP was his best album.  

For me, I do have to admit that At The Speed of Life did fall under the radar for me when it first came out.  All I remember was reading about it in the Source, and about Xzibit being an upcoming artist.  I thought it looked dope but I was only 14, and since they weren't playing it on the radio and there was no video, and there was no Death Row affiliates on the album.. it was likely to fall under my radar.

Then when 40 Days and 40 Nights came out some of you might remember the video for "What U See Is What U Get" was #1 on BET Rap City for nearly the entire summer of 1998.  Shows how much BET fell the fuck off after they sold their company to Jews at Viacom (same company that owns BET) the next year.   But I was feeling the video, and I noticed King Tee in the video since by that time King Tee was down with Dre and Aftermath, and I was starting to feel like Xzibit might be a big artist.  But still, the album fell just barely below the radar for me.

Then, finally, right around the time No LImit Top Dogg came out in early 99, I saw Xzibit on BET's late night news show announcing that his next album was going to be executive produced by Dr. Dre.  It was hard to believe because I knew he was signed to Loud Records and that he wasn't on Aftermath.  But just hearing this news, made me rush out and buy 40 Days 40 Nightz.  I was especially interested in track 13 "Welcome To LA" since it was produced by Mel Man and it really had that Aftermath Sound to it.  That track was really a preview for me of what a Dre executive produced album might sound like.  The rest of the album sounded a little too raw for me, but I still liked it marginally.

Then by the summer of 2000 after hearing X on Dre's album I was an all out Xzibit fan.  By that time I was heavily anticipating his album, and so I was bumping 40 Days and 40 Nights nearly every day.  "Focus" was one of my favorite joints and with "3 Card Molly" I was getting into Ras Kas and other Xzibit family/affiliates.  Then I finally bought At The Speed of Light and I was really blown away by how deep that album was.  Xzibit really put his heart into that album and being 18 years old just moving out on my own for the first time I really connected with that album, because it was the snapshot of a young artist just breaking out on his own and trying to find success on his own terms in a dangerous world full of possibilities.    

Not quite sure who the downing Restless comment was for but if it was for me, you're wrong lol. I love that album, all I am saying is that, and it is true, there is a large group of people that almost act like Restless is his debut. He had 2 incredible albums before then that some overlook. Definitely Restless is more polished and his best album beats and guest wise. Lyrically I always go back and forth with it and 40 Dayz and most of the time I give the edge to 40 Dayz.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »
the first 2 Xzibit-albums and "man vs machine" were classic, the other albums r mediocre/lukewarm

Sccit

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 06:43:40 PM »

Restless was watered down compared X's prev work. But its far ahead of 2001 when it comes to content. Dre has always been watered down. And you were comparing it to 2001 when you said people thought it was watered down. Yeah 2001 had "The Message" but that was the only meaningful song on there. And lyrically I don't think there's any question. Even on his singles X was bringing heat, meanwhile Kurupt was sleepwalking through his features and rhyming bitch together 10 times. Really the only impressive rhyming on 2001 came from Eminem and Xzibit, and Em was on two songs.

LOL...as if "Restless" was some deep album. it was the exact same content as "2001"... EXACT. lyrically, Xzibit took a step back from his previous efforts, while taking a step forth in production. you say Eminem and Xzibit are the only ones who came nice on "2001"? LOL...Dre's shit was written by top notch lyricists, from Eminem, to DOC, to Hittman (who also came very nice throughout the whole album). Devin came nice, King-T came nice, MC Ren etc.....the whole album was classic, nothing really watered down. it was original and innovative, it was the birth of Dre's new style and the west coast's new sound. The reason "Restless" was watered down was because Xzibit tried to capture the new Aftermath sound with it for commercial appeal (which he did successfully), as opposed to sticking to his roots and going with his OG formula...I don't think ANYONE called "2001" watered down when it came out, lmao. it was something we haven't heard, and you probably only think it's watered down because of how played out it has gotten by now...and not only has the album been played to death, the sound that the album created got played out as well. Everyone from Scott Storch to Fredwreck was tryna recreate Dre's new sound after "2001" came out...but when it was first released, u would have gotten laughed at for claimin it was watered down.

thegooddoc

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »
I loved 'Restless'.  Would be nice to see Xzibit work with the same producers.  The Dj Quik track was hot. 

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 07:50:15 PM »
^yea...I think if "Restless" dropped today as opposed to back then, the reception would be a lot different (more positive).

Yeah, but I don't think Xzibit will lose sleep over some haters on message forums from when Restless first dropped... because the album sold like 200,000 in the first week and went on to go platinum.  That has to be any rappers dream to have a platinum album executive produced by Dr. Dre.   So I think Xzibit got what he deserved off that record, and probably looks back on it as the crowning achievement of his career. 
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

samutahjazz

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »
lol mc ren came SUPERRRRR hard on that intro, right??

CRAIGnice

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »
Restless is a higher quality album than Xzibit's first two.  

no, it's not.
40 dayz>at the>>>>>>>>>restless

RESTLESS is mixed to perfection. 40 days is dope but not on same level as Restless.
Hip-Hop-N-NBA All Day

Sccit

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »
lol mc ren came SUPERRRRR hard on that intro, right??

my b, replace ren with defari...point remains, all the features came with it on that album.