Author Topic: Xzibit named his new album "Restless 2".  (Read 1934 times)

samutahjazz

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Xzibit named his new album "Restless 2".
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2011, 08:36:40 PM »
at the speed of life> restless. i cant get into 40n40 too much for some reason. but restless has more absolute bangers on it, while at the speed of life is the more solid album.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2011, 09:56:48 PM »
for those who were around at the time, "Restless" was actually considered a disappointment when it first dropped...i personally thought it was the shit, but i remember most peeps around here were expecting another "2001" and thought "Restless" was too watered down.

Too watered down? Stop smoking crack, 2001 is wayyy more watered down than any X album.

LMAO. "2001" changed the sound of west coast rap, buddy...get off the pipe.

Yes, it did. One of my favorite albums. Doesn't change the fact its watered down to appeal to the mainstream with simple, hard-hitting beats and lyrics far simpler (aka watered down) than an Xzibit album. How many songs on 2001 had meaningful lyrics compared to Restless?

Yeah, Restless definitely had more meaningful lyrics, I'll give you that.  But if Restless had sold 7 Million and Dre's 2001 had sold 1 Million, then you would probably be doing the opposite right now and dissing the Restless LP and promoting Dre's 2001 album.  Saying something like, "Restless LP may have had more meaningful lyrics, but Dre's 2001 had flawless production and every track was a banger"

Its still more watered-down than Restless.

not really..."2001" had an innovative gangsta sound. "Restless" went for the same exact sound, but obviously wasn't as original, as "2001" was its predecessor. "Restless" tried to appeal commercially in every aspect that "2001" did... compare "Restless" to Xzibit's previous work, then compare "2001" to Dre's previous work, and try tellin me that "2001" is more watered down. LOL

Restless was watered down compared X's prev work. But its far ahead of 2001 when it comes to content. Dre has always been watered down. And you were comparing it to 2001 when you said people thought it was watered down. Yeah 2001 had "The Message" but that was the only meaningful song on there. And lyrically I don't think there's any question. Even on his singles X was bringing heat, meanwhile Kurupt was sleepwalking through his features and rhyming bitch together 10 times. Really the only impressive rhyming on 2001 came from Eminem and Xzibit, and Em was on two songs.

LOL...as if "Restless" was some deep album. it was the exact same content as "2001"... EXACT. lyrically, Xzibit took a step back from his previous efforts, while taking a step forth in production. you say Eminem and Xzibit are the only ones who came nice on "2001"? LOL...Dre's shit was written by top notch lyricists, from Eminem, to DOC, to Hittman (who also came very nice throughout the whole album). Devin came nice, King-T came nice, MC Ren etc.....the whole album was classic, nothing really watered down. it was original and innovative, it was the birth of Dre's new style and the west coast's new sound. The reason "Restless" was watered down was because Xzibit tried to capture the new Aftermath sound with it for commercial appeal (which he did successfully), as opposed to sticking to his roots and going with his OG formula...I don't think ANYONE called "2001" watered down when it came out, lmao. it was something we haven't heard, and you probably only think it's watered down because of how played out it has gotten by now...and not only has the album been played to death, the sound that the album created got played out as well. Everyone from Scott Storch to Fredwreck was tryna recreate Dre's new sound after "2001" came out...but when it was first released, u would have gotten laughed at for claimin it was watered down.

Yes, the verses Em wrote for Dre were pretty good. The shit Hittman wrote for him was average at best and at times straight mediocre. Kurupt came wack on 2001. Dre came wack on part of the tracks. Snoop came as Snoop (meaning mediocre) and Hittman was pretty weak as well. Ms Toi was trash. LA Niggaz is your example of  I can't think of a song on Restless where X came weak. 2001 is one of my favorite albums. I like it a lot more than Restless. but even I can say it is lyrically inferior without a doubt. The sound made that album entirely. You comparing the lyrics on 2001 to any X album is straight up disrespectful

Sccit

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2011, 10:37:03 PM »
for those who were around at the time, "Restless" was actually considered a disappointment when it first dropped...i personally thought it was the shit, but i remember most peeps around here were expecting another "2001" and thought "Restless" was too watered down.

Too watered down? Stop smoking crack, 2001 is wayyy more watered down than any X album.

Yes, it did. One of my favorite albums. Doesn't change the fact its watered down to appeal to the mainstream with simple, hard-hitting beats and lyrics far simpler (aka watered down) than an Xzibit album. How many songs on 2001 had meaningful lyrics compared to Restless?

Yeah, Restless definitely had more meaningful lyrics, I'll give you that.  But if Restless had sold 7 Million and Dre's 2001 had sold 1 Million, then you would probably be doing the opposite right now and dissing the Restless LP and promoting Dre's 2001 album.  Saying something like, "Restless LP may have had more meaningful lyrics, but Dre's 2001 had flawless production and every track was a banger"

not really..."2001" had an innovative gangsta sound. "Restless" went for the same exact sound, but obviously wasn't as original, as "2001" was its predecessor. "Restless" tried to appeal commercially in every aspect that "2001" did... compare "Restless" to Xzibit's previous work, then compare "2001" to Dre's previous work, and try tellin me that "2001" is more watered down. LOL

Restless was watered down compared X's prev work. But its far ahead of 2001 when it comes to content. Dre has always been watered down. And you were comparing it to 2001 when you said people thought it was watered down. Yeah 2001 had "The Message" but that was the only meaningful song on there. And lyrically I don't think there's any question. Even on his singles X was bringing heat, meanwhile Kurupt was sleepwalking through his features and rhyming bitch together 10 times. Really the only impressive rhyming on 2001 came from Eminem and Xzibit, and Em was on two songs.

LOL...as if "Restless" was some deep album. it was the exact same content as "2001"... EXACT. lyrically, Xzibit took a step back from his previous efforts, while taking a step forth in production. you say Eminem and Xzibit are the only ones who came nice on "2001"? LOL...Dre's shit was written by top notch lyricists, from Eminem, to DOC, to Hittman (who also came very nice throughout the whole album). Devin came nice, King-T came nice, MC Ren etc.....the whole album was classic, nothing really watered down. it was original and innovative, it was the birth of Dre's new style and the west coast's new sound. The reason "Restless" was watered down was because Xzibit tried to capture the new Aftermath sound with it for commercial appeal (which he did successfully), as opposed to sticking to his roots and going with his OG formula...I don't think ANYONE called "2001" watered down when it came out, lmao. it was something we haven't heard, and you probably only think it's watered down because of how played out it has gotten by now...and not only has the album been played to death, the sound that the album created got played out as well. Everyone from Scott Storch to Fredwreck was tryna recreate Dre's new sound after "2001" came out...but when it was first released, u would have gotten laughed at for claimin it was watered down.

Yes, the verses Em wrote for Dre were pretty good. The shit Hittman wrote for him was average at best and at times straight mediocre. Kurupt came wack on 2001. Dre came wack on part of the tracks. Snoop came as Snoop (meaning mediocre) and Hittman was pretty weak as well. Ms Toi was trash. LA Niggaz is your example of  I can't think of a song on Restless where X came weak. 2001 is one of my favorite albums. I like it a lot more than Restless. but even I can say it is lyrically inferior without a doubt. The sound made that album entirely. You comparing the lyrics on 2001 to any X album is straight up disrespectful

sorry, i strongly disagree...i believe "2001" was perfectly written for what it was, and all the artists played their part very well. nothing about "2001" was whack. Xzibit on "Restless" is nowhere near his lyrical prime. either way, my argument wasn't which album was more lyrical, it was which album was more watered down, and considering "Restless" was tryna DUPLICATE the innovative "2001" sound, I think it's obvious that "Restless" is more watered down than "2001"...i mean, in my opinion neither album is really watered down when it comes down to it, but many hardcore Xzibit fans who fell in love with his raw, underground sound definitely felt that "Restless" was watered down when it first dropped. NOBODY felt "2001" was watered down when it first dropped...feel what im sayin?

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2011, 04:13:06 AM »
the first 2 Xzibit-albums and "man vs machine" were classic, the other albums r mediocre/lukewarm

Damn "Man Vs Machine" was a major let down for me, sounded uninspired and the Jelly Roll tracks really brought it down I reckon. I always thought "Weapons Of Mass Destruction" was ill as well. I'm anticipating some new X, it's been a long time

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2011, 08:53:43 AM »
Man vs. Machine had a big first week and I think it may have sold okay.  Did it end up platinum?  I know it at least went gold.  It certainly had it's bangers like "Symphony In X Minor" and "Say My Name" was a monster track; it also had a lot of solid cuts like "Heart of Man" and so on.  But too many filler, some of the tracks were totally aweful and unlistenable, while on Restless LP you can listen through the whole album without skipping a track.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »

sorry, i strongly disagree...i believe "2001" was perfectly written for what it was, and all the artists played their part very well. nothing about "2001" was whack. Xzibit on "Restless" is nowhere near his lyrical prime. either way, my argument wasn't which album was more lyrical, it was which album was more watered down, and considering "Restless" was tryna DUPLICATE the innovative "2001" sound, I think it's obvious that "Restless" is more watered down than "2001"...i mean, in my opinion neither album is really watered down when it comes down to it, but many hardcore Xzibit fans who fell in love with his raw, underground sound definitely felt that "Restless" was watered down when it first dropped. NOBODY felt "2001" was watered down when it first dropped...feel what im sayin?

Please explain to me how a more lyrical album is watered down? I don't get your point at all.

How is this not watered down?

Fuck a bitch; don't tease bitch, strip tease bitch
Eat a bowl of these bitch, gobble the dick
Hoes forgot to eat a dick can shut the fuck up!
Gobble and swallow a nut up, shut up and get my cash

If you had said Restless was watered down compared to X's previous albums, I would've seen your point. But you compared it to 2001, and its pretty obvious out of those two which is more watered down. For the record 2001 got a ton of bad criticism about the watered down cliche gangsta lyrics.

Sccit

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »

Please explain to me how a more lyrical album is watered down? I don't get your point at all.

How is this not watered down?

Fuck a bitch; don't tease bitch, strip tease bitch
Eat a bowl of these bitch, gobble the dick
Hoes forgot to eat a dick can shut the fuck up!
Gobble and swallow a nut up, shut up and get my cash

If you had said Restless was watered down compared to X's previous albums, I would've seen your point. But you compared it to 2001, and its pretty obvious out of those two which is more watered down. For the record 2001 got a ton of bad criticism about the watered down cliche gangsta lyrics.

i guess u dont know the definition of watered down...an ORIGINAL and INNOVATIVE album cannot be watered down. before "2001", there was no album like that. in the opinion of some hardcore likwit fans, "Restless" was watered down to sound like "2001". what dont u get about this? lyrical content is not what determines whether an album is watered down, it's the overall sound.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
Man vs. Machine had a big first week and I think it may have sold okay.  Did it end up platinum?  I know it at least went gold.  It certainly had it's bangers like "Symphony In X Minor" and "Say My Name" was a monster track; it also had a lot of solid cuts like "Heart of Man" and so on.  But too many filler, some of the tracks were totally aweful and unlistenable, while on Restless LP you can listen through the whole album without skipping a track.

I think it only went Gold. Yeah definitely too much filler on there, they should have taken a bit more time with that album

Lunatic

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2011, 03:57:45 PM »
I have very little to say.

Lyrically: 40 Dayz & Speed of Light >>>>>>> Restless
Sonically: Restless >>>>>>> Any Xzibit album

"Restless" is a dope west coast album of its time that helps represent the golden generation. It really depends what u like more, beats or lyrics and concepts.

I love all 3 albums

Can't wait for some new X
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2011, 05:50:27 PM »

I think it only went Gold. Yeah definitely too much filler on there, they should have taken a bit more time with that album

Yeah, no doubt.  Xzibit should of just pushed it back till later that year.  I mean he even had that DJ Premier cut "What A Mess" that ended up on the bonus disc.  I'm sure he had some other shit in the can, and maybe the label could of bought a few decent records from outside.  Like maybe Ras Kass had a hot joint somewhere that wasn't gonna be used for an album, Xzibit cut of cut a fresh 16 on it and called it a day.  Something like that.  The album had great potential, it's too bad they rushed it.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2011, 05:53:39 PM »
I have very little to say.

Lyrically: 40 Dayz & Speed of Light >>>>>>> Restless
Sonically: Restless >>>>>>> Any Xzibit album

"Restless" is a dope west coast album of its time that helps represent the golden generation. It really depends what u like more, beats or lyrics and concepts.

I love all 3 albums

Can't wait for some new X

I love all three albums as well.   Some days I even feel like At The Speed Of Life was his greatest album, because in some ways that album has a lot of sentimental value.   But objectively speaking I think you have to say that he got a little better all around with each album, and that Restless was the climax of his career, and that Man Vs. Machine began his downfall.

Sccit

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2011, 06:29:41 PM »

Yeah, no doubt.  Xzibit should of just pushed it back till later that year.  I mean he even had that DJ Premier cut "What A Mess" that ended up on the bonus disc.  I'm sure he had some other shit in the can, and maybe the label could of bought a few decent records from outside.  Like maybe Ras Kass had a hot joint somewhere that wasn't gonna be used for an album, Xzibit cut of cut a fresh 16 on it and called it a day.  Something like that.  The album had great potential, it's too bad they rushed it.

i still think it was a good album, overall...not classic like his first three, but it still gets bumped.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2011, 08:17:24 PM »

i still think it was a good album, overall...not classic like his first three, but it still gets bumped.

Word