Author Topic: khalil > dre  (Read 2329 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: khalil > dre
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2011, 10:22:09 PM »
Beat making is most important element in my opinion. I mean if the melodies are shitty or don't have a harmony.. no amount of mixing or "producing" will make it sound good. That's all there is to it...

lol mixing ain't producing. It obviously hasn't saved I Need a Doctor or Under Pressure from being trash. Just listen to 36 Chambers to find out exactly how important mixing and mastering is. Some beats sound better clean, others dont.

Sccit

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2011, 12:03:25 AM »
Like I said, "Kush" was produced by Dre just as much as any track on "2001"...the critics have gotten to Dre so much that he's decided to only take credit for mixing, when he obviously did a lot more for the beat. Those songs u just posted don't even come close to the classics Dre has produced...Bottom line, Khalil has a long way to go before he reaches Dre's status. the fact that Dre hasn't even released songs in years and is still relevant speaks for itself. If Khalil stopped making songs for as long as Dre has no one would know who the fuck he even was.

Dre is takin' credit for mixing because that's what he did. It's simple as that.

producers will come to Dre with skeleton beats and concepts, and he will put his touches on it and make it his own. he's always been doin this, only back in the day he would actually take credit as the main producer (like what Bad Azz said)...Nowadays, he's giving the bulk of the credit to his right-hand man. still, u cant fool the ear...a dre beat is as recognizable as sinatra's voice. i will forever consider "respect" a dre beat, just like i will always consider "kush" a dre beat. i dont buy the mixing bullshit...if those tracks are not produced by dre, neither are a bulk of his classics.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:15:50 AM by NIKCC »

Sccit

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2011, 12:14:46 AM »
Dead this. There's no comparison once you are looking at who has been better the past few years. The past few years Khalil has made better productions than Dre. And the best productions Dre has been involved in has been with the assistance of Khalil where most of the time he isn't even the primary producer. Cmon now, even the die hard Dre stans have been shitting on his recent work. That alone tells you who is the better producer now.

I don't like Dre's recent LEAKS (with the exception of "Topless"), but Khalil cannot perfect a sound like Dre. Most of the leaks we got were supposedly produced by Khalil, and they sound too pop influenced. You can tell those songs are incomplete, though, so we never heard them the way Dre intended us to hear them. Only "Kush" was released with Dre's finishing touches, and that beat shits on anything Khalil can do without the help of Dre...nowadays, almost anyone can make a beat that bumps, but i haven't heard any of these producers actually produce a beat that sounds crisp+clean and can bump like a Dre production. DJ Quik is up there, but those 2 stand alone. After "Detox" is released, we can have this discussion, but as of now, Dre has not released enough finished material to be compared to Khalil currently, so while Khalil might have him beat in quantity, he aint even close in quality.

What songs has Dre "perfected" in recent years? Kush was produced by Khalil. Check. "PRODUCED" by Khalil. And that's the ONLY song from Dre people on here were remotely feeling. Where are these Dre productions to prove he's even relevant? Like name even one.  Quality-wise, Khalil songs >>> Dre songs, any idiot can see that.

:Here's a Khalil production from this year that needs zero help being perfected.
: Here's a song that bangs harder than anything Dre produced during that time

You're just in denial.

Like I said, "Kush" was produced by Dre just as much as any track on "2001"...the critics have gotten to Dre so much that he's decided to only take credit for mixing, when he obviously did a lot more for the beat. Those songs u just posted don't even come close to the classics Dre has produced...Bottom line, Khalil has a long way to go before he reaches Dre's status. the fact that Dre hasn't even released songs in years and is still relevant speaks for itself. If Khalil stopped making songs for as long as Dre has no one would know who the fuck he even was.

lmao so now you're that desperate to have to guess at Dre productions when it was clearly credited to someone else. Your fanboyism is amazing. Why would you credit it to dr dre when everything else says otherwise? Because it sounds like a dre beat? You do realize that Khalil made the beat specifically for dre right?

As far the songs I've posted not being on the level of Dre's classics. Definitely not. Dre in his prime was damn near untouchable, definitely not by Khalil. But Dre's last classic was over 10 years ago. Again, the topic is who is the better producer today. Everyone falls off, and what Dre has done in the past few years shows us exactly that. He's not close to the producer he once was. I don't even put Khalil in the top 10 producers today, but he's definitely putting out better productions than dre is.

like Bad Azz said, most of Dre's producing is not even in laying the beat...it's in perfecting the sound of the beat and layering it perfectly, tweakin melodies and sounds to it's optimal potential...that is far more than "mixing". that is what he's been doing his whole career. sometimes, people dont understand and they diss dre, as if he "stole" the beat, but fact of the matter is that Dre owns the beat, he takes a mediocre beat and makes it great...that is what he did with "Kush".

and you say Dre hasn't put out quality work..."Relapse" had some good Dre beats. better than a lot of the poppy beats i hear Khalil makin nowadays. regardless, Dre hasn't been putting out his work...he has to have 1000+ beats he's worked on for "Detox" laying in the vault. just cuz u aint heard it dont mean it dont exist...thats why i say, wait for "Detox" to drop, then we can have this discussion. just cuz Dre hasn't produced as much as Khalil doesn't make Khalil the better producer. if "Detox" drops and there arent any mind-blowing Dre productions, i will be majorly disappointed and i will also eat my words.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2011, 12:49:41 AM »
Relapse did have some nice beats on it. But that was 2 years ago. And nothing on a classic status. I was actually getting excited for Detox when I heard those beats. But everything since then's been disappointing.

Dre turns mediocre beats into great ones? Lol where is there any proof of this? Let me hear a wack beat that Dre made dope. There's no evidence that Dre even touched Kush. He's not given any production credit, hence you have nothing to base your little theory on. If Detox drops and has classic beats, then we can speak of his comeback, but until then we have to go on what we've seen. Which is nothing. He's done no great or even decent producing these past 2 years. When a once great producer is making wack songs, we have to go ahead and say they've fallen off. That's all there is to it.

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2011, 12:59:51 AM »
Don't think anyone can deny dres skills as an overal producer as far as mixing, mastering, overseeing  and making the product sound good.  But when it comes to beat making Khalil > dre easy...

Has Dre ever really been a beatmaker though? Can anyone name beats he's done entirely on his own?

so what's the point in comparing these two then? it's like comparing screenwirter with director...

i mean... if Dre is producer (not beatmaker) and Khalil is beatmaker (not producer) then why you people argue over who's better?

Dre turns mediocre beats into great ones? Lol where is there any proof of this? Let me hear a wack beat that Dre made dope.

some real talk. people need to give up with all these Dre myths. Most of them were made up to defend his skills...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:11:22 AM by shoo »

Deuce-Deuce

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2011, 01:09:47 AM »
No one even gon mention "Da Shit", that tracks underrated. The beat, the vocals, the screams and Games flow 8)
But thats quite old and I aint really been feelin Khalil's recent shit.
Fuck that club shit
I'm on that Dub shit

da chronic

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2011, 01:50:54 AM »
No one even gon mention "Da Shit", that tracks underrated. The beat, the vocals, the screams and Games flow 8)
But thats quite old and I aint really been feelin Khalil's recent shit.

Maybe Dre did put his magical touches on "da shit". Who knows ? thats plausible to me. It sounds cleaner that almost any other Khalil beat.
Or maybe he just took his time and surpassed himself, had a great mixer...

Anyway, khalil is pure dope and brings a new sound to the game, yes it IS a new sound. But still, he aint on that relapse level for exemple.
No one can f**k with relapse' production, its insanely brillant.

The D.O.C and

Okka

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2011, 02:05:45 AM »
Anyway, khalil is pure dope and brings a new sound to the game, yes it IS a new sound. But still, he aint on that relapse level for exemple.
No one can f**k with relapse' production, its insanely brillant.

"Stay Wide Awake" was the only amazing beat on the album IMO. "Medicine Ball" had a bangin' beat too. I never liked the production on the album.

Aladin

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2011, 07:27:04 AM »
the thread topic was who is the better producer today

Well if we look at contemporary producers, You just cannot pick a timeframe and compare it to another contemporary producer.
Because if we have to take into consideration the bagage these producers have.
Even Dre in his “prime-period” had records out that in my opinion where not my taste.
Just 2 name an view:
-   “NWA” – Hello
-   “NWA” feat Snoop – Chin Check
-   The Firm
-   Warren G – Lookin at you
Those NWA reboots where a Joke, compared 2 old school NWA.

But that is why he is so good, he experimented with sounds and sometimes it is your taste: think of the first time you heard Still DRE or nuthing but a G thing.
And sometimes it is a miss.
Anywayz, I stil think Dr Dre is on a level all these one-Hitt wonders will have 2 dream off.
Comparing Khalil, is like Comparing a City-Major 2 a President. And saying you dont have 2 look at their track record, but what he did for my city.
It is just ridiculous.

Peace out.

Allpaul

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2011, 07:34:50 AM »
alot of better beatmakres than Dre --- J Dilla, Khalil, etc etc
but as far as producing "songs", Dres the best there is, period

Man, real talk... The beat making part is subjective, but somebody would be hard pressed to argue the second point.. I made a post with the same point on page 2.. I knew nobody would read it, and just keep arguing the same points over and over...

teecee

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2011, 07:42:49 AM »
Khalil IS on fire lately (I Don't Need No Bitch, Kush), and dude IS a dope producer in his own right.  The key, though, is Dre's touch.  Could Khalil make a beat like this on his own?

A good example of Dre's touch is Busta's "Been Through the Storm"...Snoop said that beat was shit until Dre put his hands on it, and it became a great song after he mixed and co-produced it.

Dre definitely hasn't had the golden touch lately, not on Relapse, not on Recovery, not any of the new Game tracks, and none of the Detox tracks either.  INAD pretty much told us where Dre's beat game is at right now...that was a HORRIBLE beat, and Dre used it anyway instead of making a much better one himself.  Still, I hold out hope.  I, for one, love Kush (just not Akon).

MistaNova

« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2011, 08:02:53 AM »
I think DJ Khalil vs Scott Storch is more appropriate...

Okka

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2011, 08:12:12 AM »

Dre is takin' credit for mixing because that's what he did. It's simple as that.

producers will come to Dre with skeleton beats and concepts, and he will put his touches on it and make it his own. he's always been doin this, only back in the day he would actually take credit as the main producer (like what Bad Azz said)...Nowadays, he's giving the bulk of the credit to his right-hand man. still, u cant fool the ear...a dre beat is as recognizable as sinatra's voice. i will forever consider "respect" a dre beat, just like i will always consider "kush" a dre beat. i dont buy the mixing bullshit...if those tracks are not produced by dre, neither are a bulk of his classics.

Other people make Dr.Dre's beats. Here's a list of people who all have said it.

Bad Azz
Big Chuck
Cold187Um
Daz Dillinger
Emanuel Dean
J.Flexx
Neff-U
Sam Sneed
Scott Storch
Snoop Dogg

To Dre's defense, he's always been characterized as a producer in the classical sense. While he does all the drum programming, Dre doesn't play any instruments. Instead, he works with and directs musicians who then translate his vision. On The Chronic 2001, Dre collaborated with producers/musicians Mel-Man, Scott Storch and Mike Elizondo - all of which received credit for their work. While Dre may not lay the string arrangement or piano keys to a beat, he's still arranging and directing the song.

http://www.ugo.com/music/top-11-hip-hop-producers-dr-dre
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:14:27 AM by Okka »

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2011, 08:17:46 AM »
dre is a producer in the same sense that puff daddy used to produce and has won mad producer of the decade awards and shit back in the 90s.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2011, 10:27:15 AM »
the thread topic was who is the better producer today

Well if we look at contemporary producers, You just cannot pick a timeframe and compare it to another contemporary producer.
Because if we have to take into consideration the bagage these producers have.
Even Dre in his “prime-period” had records out that in my opinion where not my taste.
Just 2 name an view:
-   “NWA” – Hello
-   “NWA” feat Snoop – Chin Check
-   The Firm
-   Warren G – Lookin at you
Those NWA reboots where a Joke, compared 2 old school NWA.

But that is why he is so good, he experimented with sounds and sometimes it is your taste: think of the first time you heard Still DRE or nuthing but a G thing.
And sometimes it is a miss.
Anywayz, I stil think Dr Dre is on a level all these one-Hitt wonders will have 2 dream off.
Comparing Khalil, is like Comparing a City-Major 2 a President. And saying you dont have 2 look at their track record, but what he did for my city.
It is just ridiculous.

Peace out.

Why are they not comparable? We're not doing a list of the all time greats. We're asking who is the better producer today. It's like asking who's the best rapper today. You're not going to name someone who's fallen off. Chuck D may make a list of all time greats, but he's obviously not the best rapper right now. I loved the 2 NWA records you mentioned by the way.

dre is a producer in the same sense that puff daddy used to produce and has won mad producer of the decade awards and shit back in the 90s.

And yet no one wants to give Puff credit for all those hits he came out with.